• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

SB XLIX Game Thread - Pats* vs Seahags

The Steelers are far away from both these teams. But we'll see next year because the Steelers play both of them.

I disagree. I don't think there is any elite team in the NFL now. The Steelers with Ben, Bell, Antonio, and hopefully an emerging Martavis Bryant should be one of the top offense in the NFL. That means they just have to hit on a few good defensive picks and they are right in the mix.

This looks like a good draft for pass rushers. If the steelers can score a real stud pass rusher, the defense may not be that far off from being good again. I think Shazier will be a lot better. The DL should be very good with Heyward and Tuitt.

The secondary has some guys who could be good if they get a pass rush. They still need an upgrade obviously but with the Steeler offense, they just need a defense that is in the top half of the league and it should be good enough to compete.

just out of curiosity, if you had our O line from 2011 and Spindenhall as your only healthy back. Ben, Hines, Heath, and AB all at their prime in the same situation..... do you run or throw? I think I would let Ben try to hit Heath or Hines in the corner of the endzone or AB if was able to get decent separation.

Even if you throw it, you DO NOT throw it on the 1 yard line, into the line of scrimmage. As was said before, the call was criminal.

I disagree. I don't think there is any elite team in the NFL now. The Steelers with Ben, Bell, Antonio, and hopefully an emerging Martavis Bryant should be one of the top offense in the NFL. That means they just have to hit on a few good defensive picks and they are right in the mix.

This looks like a good draft for pass rushers. If the steelers can score a real stud pass rusher, the defense may not be that far off from being good again. I think Shazier will be a lot better. The DL should be very good with Heyward and Tuitt.

The secondary has some guys who could be good if they get a pass rush. They still need an upgrade obviously but with the Steeler offense, they just need a defense that is in the top half of the league and it should be good enough to compete.

Our secondary sucks. We will need to generate a huge pass rush to even begin to scare opposing qbs next year. And that is something we did very poorly this year. I really doubt our best pass rusher will even be back next year and even if he is then he will be 37 years old.

I agree that we will have an awesome offense, I think it will the best in the league. But with no way to stop opposing qb's we are looking at one and done in the playoffs again.

The only time we beat New England, we did it by pressing their receiver. If your design isn't working, then you should change your f'n design.

Every team does that same defense. Even with Sherman and the best defense in the league they can't cover tight all the time. Wait until next year when Butler trots out the exact same "cushion". They won't ***** about it then because Butler is new... kind of...

exactly, that's the point i'm making. Too may people think Lebeau is telling his DBs to play back just for ***** and giggles and all he has to do is play them closer to the line and then no WR can get open against them. These same people are probably wishing we could be aggressive like Seattle without knowing they are pretty much doing the same thing.

The only difference is they have better players so it works better. It worked damn good for the steelers too when they had Porter, Farrior, Ike, Troy, Aaron Smith, Hampton, etc all in their primes.

Seattle's DC is going to be named head coach at Atlanta. I bet his scheme won't be as brilliant with their ****** defense. Although, i do think LB Prince Shembo will be a breakout star for them.

I don't see it. You can't rely on a rookie pass rusher. I remember the past two years when we were going to be great because Jones was a pass rusher. Then Shazier was a pass rusher. Worilds was going to tear it up this past year. None of those worked out. This defense is 2 or so years away from being good and that is IF they start drafting better. Timmons is entering his 9th season and the CBs and safeties aren't that good.

On offense they are hit and miss. They can score a ton or get shut down like against the 1st rats game, the 2nd clown game and the Jets game (and those were with Bell). And next year isn't the easiest schedule in the league like last year. They go to Seattle and play NE, SF, Indy and Denver. Then need to do some good off season work and drafting to have a chance next year.

Our secondary sucks. We will need to generate a huge pass rush to even begin to scare opposing qbs next year. And that is something we did very poorly this year. I really doubt our best pass rusher will even be back next year and even if he is then he will be 37 years old.

I agree that we will have an awesome offense, I think it will the best in the league. But with no way to stop opposing qb's we are looking at one and done in the playoffs again.
And with no hopes of drafting a decent defensive player with our current 'braintrust'...... its just depressing. Here's to hoping Butler starts throwing **** in the draft war room when MT/KC tries to draft another useless undersized speedster, or over-aged, weakling with a stiff neck.

The only time we beat New England, we did it by pressing their receiver. If your design isn't working, then you should change your f'n design.

If you press their receivers, then Belichick and Brady adjust and find a different way to beat you. That is why they are in the Super Bowl every other year.

If you press their receivers, then Belichick and Brady adjust and find a different way to beat you. That is why they are in the Super Bowl every other year.

That and there cheating....

I think the Steelers are currently far away from a good pass defense. A defense needs two good pass rushers to have a consistent rush and the Steelers do not even have one, and the secondary needs a complete overhaul.

Since they're unlikely to make any big moves via free agency or trade, they're probably 2-3 years away, and that's assuming they actually make good picks. They **** the bed with too many investments on the defensive side of the ball with the likes of Allen, Mitchell, Jones and Worilds and you do not recover from that quickly.

They can put in on the OC all they want. That play went through the HC's headset. He had every right to override and call a gut run. That is square on him. All the way.

You don't say, your post is useless without pictures.

Well, I don't have pictures to prove it as it's all on video in the archives.. as per my source during the Spanish transmission they were supposed to ingest the pepsi cola introduction when master control interjected the wrong cut and the Spanish audience missed part of the show.. lucky ********!

The play at the end could make you question whether everything is on the up & up. How many people call a pass right there? I'm guessing not many using the known universe as a sample size. On the other hand, the catch two plays earlier was crazy.

The play at the end could make you question whether everything is on the up & up. How many people call a pass right there? I'm guessing not many using the known universe as a sample size. On the other hand, the catch two plays earlier was crazy.

Seatle was just trying to out smart the Pats on the play....sometimes you just have to do what you do best.

I don't see it. You can't rely on a rookie pass rusher. I remember the past two years when we were going to be great because Jones was a pass rusher. Then Shazier was a pass rusher. Worilds was going to tear it up this past year. None of those worked out. This defense is 2 or so years away from being good and that is IF they start drafting better. Timmons is entering his 9th season and the CBs and safeties aren't that good.

On offense they are hit and miss. They can score a ton or get shut down like against the 1st rats game, the 2nd clown game and the Jets game (and those were with Bell). And next year isn't the easiest schedule in the league like last year. They go to Seattle and play NE, SF, Indy and Denver. Then need to do some good off season work and drafting to have a chance next year.

I'm expecting improvement on the OL, a big step forward for Bryant and Wheaton as a slot guy. Bryant and ANtonio will be a scary duo that opens up easy throws to the TE and Wheaton. I think the offense will be more consistent.

On defense, they have to be right on picks. They should draft as if they have Zero OLB because in my mind that's what they have.

I like the depth on the defeense. That's the problem, they have all depth guys at OLB and in the secondary but no stars. If you dropped Clay Matthews in at OLB, then i think Jarvis or Moats could be good enough on the other side. Same thing in the secondary. Draft a 1 true #1 CB like the Bears got with Fuller, and guys like Gay and McCain and Cortez can be OK.

This is the year for quality, not quantity in this draft. The Steelers need to be aggressive and trade up if need be to secure a CB and pass rusher who can start and make an impact almost immediately.

I'm not expecting to get an OLB who can learn the whole defense and do all the drops and such. But you can certainly get a natural pass rusher who can give you 10 sacks in passing situations. They traded up for Polamalu when Safety was a glaring need. They need to do the same with pass rusher. Identify the best guys then trade up and get him.

Makes me sick, those cheating ******** won.

Dumbest ******* playcall of all-time.

I'm expecting improvement on the OL, a big step forward for Bryant and Wheaton as a slot guy. Bryant and ANtonio will be a scary duo that opens up easy throws to the TE and Wheaton. I think the offense will be more consistent.

On defense, they have to be right on picks. They should draft as if they have Zero OLB because in my mind that's what they have.

I like the depth on the defeense. That's the problem, they have all depth guys at OLB and in the secondary but no stars. If you dropped Clay Matthews in at OLB, then i think Jarvis or Moats could be good enough on the other side. Same thing in the secondary. Draft a 1 true #1 CB like the Bears got with Fuller, and guys like Gay and McCain and Cortez can be OK.

This is the year for quality, not quantity in this draft. The Steelers need to be aggressive and trade up if need be to secure a CB and pass rusher who can start and make an impact almost immediately.

I'm not expecting to get an OLB who can learn the whole defense and do all the drops and such. But you can certainly get a natural pass rusher who can give you 10 sacks in passing situations. They traded up for Polamalu when Safety was a glaring need. They need to do the same with pass rusher. Identify the best guys then trade up and get him.

You can drop an in-his-prime-coked-up Lawrence Taylor on one side, and Jarvis Jones would still be useless on the other side.

Thank goodness this is over. Now maybe we won't have to hear about Brady's balls?

Not sure how the OL is going to improve. They were bulldozed against the rats. They kind of are what they are. And they were healthy all year except for Gilbert who isn't anything special to start with. They also don't have a TE outside of Miller who is getting up there.

I also don't see how the pass rush is going to be any better. Even if they keep Worilds they are equal to last year. Like I said, you can't count on a rookie to do anything. We've found that out with Jones, Shazier and almost every pick the past few years. I'm still not convinced Tombert can draft worth a ****... especially on defense. They have also given bad contracts to Allen and Gilbert. Both bombed this year.

It was PI. You can not go through the receiver to get the ball. He plowed him over and made the pick. By the rule book, it was text book PI.

No, the defender has a right to the ball. No pass interference.

No, the defender has a right to the ball. No pass interference.

It's amazing how many people don't know the rules. Like you said the defender has the right to make a play also no pass interference

I don't know if Carrol commented on the play call, but my guess is he was trying to save the TO, if needed.
If they run the ball and get stuffed, they need to burn the last TO on 3rd down and throw the ball as there probably wasn't enough time to afford getting stuffed again.
Still the wrong call IMO.

Carrol admitted it was on him...they were in 11 personal ..Pats were in goal line..thought a pass was the best option..I guees I can see his train of thought...but thats not who you are thats not how you play..turn an give the ball to lynch...he scores great he doesn't use the TO.. u stiill would have had probably somewhere 20+ seconds...easy to get 2 more plays off..
If you wanna be a fancy man give Wilson some type of pass /run option..
Also Wilson has got to be smart enough to know that window was way too damn small to try and force that in on 2nd down when you still have time on the clock.