• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

School Choice Works in Canada

No, I didn't say you should forfeit anything. I didn't even say teachers don't deserve what they make. And I'm certainly not complaining about my husband's compensation, he makes more than he ever would teaching. I'm just saying I get sick of teachers constantly complaining about how underpaid and underappreciated they are. Yes, it can be a tough job but there are a lot of perks to being a teacher, at least where we live. It must not be so terrible because we have about 1000 applicants for every open teaching job here.

Non teachers get sick of teachers complaining. Teachers get sick of non teachers complaining about teachers.

No, I didn't say you should forfeit anything. I didn't even say teachers don't deserve what they make. And I'm certainly not complaining about my husband's compensation, he makes more than he ever would teaching. I'm just saying I get sick of teachers constantly complaining about how underpaid and underappreciated they are. Yes, it can be a tough job but there are a lot of perks to being a teacher, at least where we live. It must not be so terrible because we have about 1000 applicants for every open teaching job here.

Exactly. I wanted to be a teacher when I went to college (it was practically the family business) but my parents talked me out of it, partly because schools around here were laying off due to less students from the mills closing, and I think partly because they knew I was eyeing that summer vacation and didn't want me to have free time just screwing around with cars. Plus at that time it didn't pay much.
Years later I was in a dead end job and looked at going back to school for that but it was like starting college all over again. I could get an MBA with many less credits and teach in colleges, so that's what I did and taught business and economics at different colleges part-time for 20 years. Problem is that nobody hires full-time any more.

Non teachers get sick of teachers complaining. Teachers get sick of non teachers complaining about teachers.

one thing that may be resulting from comparing pensions is if you compare the dollar amount. The teacher's pension might be 85% of the private sector pension, but the teacher pension, in a lot of instances (every one I have seen) can start as much as 10 years earlier at the full (or close to it) amount. That is a higher pension (4%-5% assuming you start at 55) even though the monthly amount is 85% less. If the amounts are the same, the age 55 pension is about 23% higher than the age 65 pension.

one thing that may be resulting from comparing pensions is if you compare the dollar amount. The teacher's pension might be 85% of the private sector pension, but the teacher pension, in a lot of instances (every one I have seen) can start as much as 10 years earlier at the full (or close to it) amount. That is a higher pension (4%-5% assuming you start at 55) even though the monthly amount is 85% less. If the amounts are the same, the age 55 pension is about 23% higher than the age 65 pension.

A local blog published the salaries of all the county employees. Friggen' secretaries with just a high school education (I know some of them) make $57k. It's good to be in the government union.

If you are 50+, self-employed and regularly have net Schedule C income of over about 400k, you could be deducting way more on your taxes with a pension plan on top of your 401k.

Max out 401k. (18k? +6k catch up?). Something like $24k deferred. (or could do Roth to get it taxed now but no taxes later)
6% contribution as "profit Sharing" (this would, theoretically be 6% * 270,000 = 16,200).

$100k+ to your Pension Plan. Higher contributions the closer you are to 62/65.

you will have ~$140k+ income which you have saved for retirement and not paid current taxes on.

if you have an employee (or employees) you have to give them some contribution, too, but that is tax deductible. If the employees are way younger than you, the extra cost can be pretty minimal (i.e. 90%+ of the contributions go to you.

Yeah, investment counselor does my 24K per year deferred, plus the 25% above that and 25% employer (me) matching.

I put in as much as I can. Past couple of years, that total is basically 40% of my earnings.

40%, ark. That is a lot. Have a goal as to how much I need to put into my 401k to draw interest income of a certain level. I wish like all hell I could simply take out the $$ I put into social security and move it to my 401k. I would willingly forego any benefits under social security, forever, and would be able to retire comfortably at 59 1/2.

No such luck. I will work until age 62, keep putting money into 401k, and by age 62, will have enough $$ in my 401k to earn pretty damn good retirement income for life from my retirement investments.

Plus the social security payments beginning in 2023.

Are grade school teachers required to do genital checks on students now?

Transgender 8-Year-Old Sues School for ‘Emotional Distress’

The family of an 8-year-old transgender girl is suing the child’s private school for “intentional infliction of emotional distress,” among other charges, after the school allegedly refused to use her female name and pronoun and also barred her from using the girls’ restroom and from wearing a girls’ school uniform.

“When any adult says to a child, ‘You may not live according to your gender identity,’ that is serious emotional distress,” Mark Rosenbaum, a lawyer for plaintiff Nicole Brar and her parents, Priya Shah and Jaspret Brar, tells Yahoo Beauty. “There isn’t anything more heartless in the world than telling a child ‘do not follow your heart.’”

The lawsuit, filed in the Superior Court of California, Orange County, on Aug. 2, seeks appropriate compensatory damages yet to be determined as well as a policy change regarding gender at the Heritage Oak Private Education in Yorba Linda, where Nicole was withdrawn halfway through the most recent school year in favor of homeschooling; she will be enrolled in public school this fall and is also under the care of a therapist, says Rosenbaum.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/transg...vate-school-emotional-distress-174528440.html
Lemme get this straight. The parents sent their eight year old boy to school dressed like a girl, and they are suing the school for intentional infliction of emotional distress?

Last edited: