• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean McVay – Tomlin One of Best Leaders in Sports

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
A lot of times fans under appreciate Mike Tomlin. He’s been the coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers for 14 seasons now, the second longest tenure among coaches in the NFL. Of course you’ve heard by now that Tomlin has never had a losing record, he’s the youngest to win the Super Bowl, and so many more accolades. But the one that isn’t talked about enough is his ability to lead.

Rams Coach Sean McVay touched on what Tomlin has meant to him as they’ve gotten to know each other over the past few years.

“One of the things that’s been great about Mike is he’s so willing to share, really put his arm around you and be a mentor and answer any questions that you have. His leadership, his command, his mental toughness, how that relates to the way that his teams play, the way that they respond from the good and the bad, I think he’s one of the best leaders that this sport has to offer. Really, sports in general.”

Those are big words of praise from McVay. He’s ranking Tomlin up there with the best of the best across all sports. McVay is no slouch to success and he’s found himself in his second Super Bowl in 4 seasons with the Rams. He of course lost the first one to Tom Brady, but who hasn’t at this point.

Any time that you’re in a room with Mike Tomlin, you always know that he’s in that room,” McVay continued. “He’s got such a good presence, but also humility. And it’s a fine line in how you balance that, and Mike is a great example for all leaders as far as how you are demanding but uplifting to your players, how you’re so steady and so mentally tough in those moments when your team needs it the most, and that consistency that he’s had throughout the course of his tenure there. This guy’s a stud in every sense of the word and really grateful for the mentorship and friendship that he’s provided me since I’ve gotten to know him pretty well over the last few years.”

Tomlin and McVay have become friends through Raheem Morris.

Mike is one of the more impressive people I’ve ever met. He’s been great to me. I couldn’t be more grateful. I got a chance to know him a bit a few years ago through Raheem Morris,” McVay said. “He and Raheem are really close. And then at different functions when you become a head coach and you have that interaction.”

McVay and Tomlin have squared off against each other one time. That coming in 2019 when the Steelers were without Ben Roethlisberger and the Rams traveled to Heinz Field. The Steelers defense got the best of McVay’s offense that day forcing 4 turnovers, one for a touchdown, and 4 sacks. The Steelers won 17-12 with Mason Rudolph as the starter.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Our very own Ted Lasso, no x & o's but what a great leader

Just keep repeating that to yourself as we get roasted by our opponents

Well this one will age gracefully like the San Andreas Fault.

I agree Tomlin is a good leader. I just wish he was a better football coach.
Good leaders make adjustments to their plans as the situation warrants. Tomlin's philosophy is "We do what we do." That's not good leadership.

If tomlin was a general we’d be up to our *** in dead soldiers

i guess it's gonna come down to the 9's and the mid for the Super Bowl trophy.

Other coaches like him because they know they have a very good chance of beating him come playoff time.
Players like him because he obviously doesn't make them work too hard or hold them accountable.

Other coaches like him because they know they have a very good chance of beating him come playoff time.
Players like him because he obviously doesn't make them work too hard or hold them accountable.

So, not only is he a "players" coach but also a "coach's" coach as well.

Salute the nation

Great leaders win more than 3 playoff games in 11 years with a HOF QB. Oh he also lost EIGHT playoff games over that span. He is far from a great leader.
Hall of Fame QBs win playoff games. They don't blame coaches for thier poor play.

Hall of Fame QBs win playoff games. They don't blame coaches for thier poor play.

IF you are incinuating this of BEN then you are so far off. BEN has never pointed the finger at anyone ever. He has shouldered blame more than any other player in the NFL of poor other player play / coaching by others.

Has BEN had bad games, you bet but never has he tossed the bus over anyone. These last three play off games show the culprit and it's not overall QB play.

Salute the nation

Maybe we will see one way or the other this coming draft and year. He will not have a HOF QB, he will not have great players in key positions, will he allow the DC to run his side of show, Canada is a big question mark. we will get a chance to see leadership of Tomlin, or will it be the same leadership we have witnessed in the last 10 years plus.

IF you are incinuating this of BEN then you are so far off. BEN has never pointed the finger at anyone ever. He has shouldered blame more than any other player in the NFL of poor other player play / coaching by others.

Has BEN had bad games, you bet but never has he tossed the bus over anyone. These last three play off games show the culprit and it's not overall QB play.

Salute the nation
The real chances they had were against Jax and Pats. Ben didn't play great, but the defense got bent over by Blake Bortles and against the Pats Tomlin could have Joe Montana and Patrick Mahomes for backup it wouldn't matter. His we are what we are philosophy plays right into Cheatin Bill's we will take away what you do best.

Maybe we will see one way or the other this coming draft and year. He will not have a HOF QB, he will not have great players in key positions, will he allow the DC to run his side of show, Canada is a big question mark. we will get a chance to see leadership of Tomlin, or will it be the same leadership we have witnessed in the last 10 years plus.
Name the leaders in the locker room. There aren't many right now. It truly will be on Tomlin to guide the ship.