• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should the Steelers trade up or trade down?

No one in this draft makes me feel the need to trade up.
I mostly agree as the price would be too steep. But there is a few players I think are going to be all pro capable. I can see as a whole that the top tier might have a few more questions than some might anticipate. And that starts right at QB where there is some decent question marks.

I've always felt like you have a good chance to get a good player in rounds 1-3. Anything after that is for projects, and likely cuts unless you just get lucky (which certainly happens sometimes). If we were to trade down on our first pick, we damn well better be swapping firsts and getting at least another 2nd. Even then, that's if a big need is off the table, or if the BPA just isn't all that great at 17. It mostly depends on what happens in FA.

I've always felt like you have a good chance to get a good player in rounds 1-3. Anything after that is for projects, and likely cuts unless you just get lucky (which certainly happens sometimes).

I have not researched this issue but suspect that certain positions (G, DT, ILB) have a greater likelihood of success when drafted round 4 or later. Some (QB, LT, CB) seem overwhelmingly to be manned by round 1 and 2 selections, Marcia and Richard Sherman notwithstanding.

I've always felt like you have a good chance to get a good player in rounds 1-3. Anything after that is for projects, and likely cuts unless you just get lucky (which certainly happens sometimes). If we were to trade down on our first pick, we damn well better be swapping firsts and getting at least another 2nd. Even then, that's if a big need is off the table, or if the BPA just isn't all that great at 17. It mostly depends on what happens in FA.
Once in a while, a position is way too deep and top end guys slip into the fourth… but usually yeah tge first 3-4 rounds you look for solid guys then gamble in the late rounds or just target special teams types…

Once in a while, a position is way too deep and top end guys slip into the fourth… but usually yeah the first 3-4 rounds you look for solid guys then gamble in the late rounds or just target special teams types…
Or they have some character issues in the past and the talent is there. But teams are a little nervous it won't stay in the past. See Antonio and Bryant.

Or they are a raw and or with a significant injury past. Plenty of reasons good talent slip. It is just perhaps a little more of a roll of the dice with the mentioned.

Last edited:
If the Steelers went 2 offensive linemen and 1 defensive linemen with 3 of their 4 top picks would anyone not be happy?

If the Steelers went 2 offensive linemen and 1 defensive linemen with 3 of their 4 top picks would anyone not be happy?

"I would hate that."
- Unidentified NFL coach who looks good in sunglasses

Stand your ground.
^^^^THIS^^^^

We don’t have enough capital to trade up. I think this is obvious

We have to big a needs to trade down. I think this is obvious as well.

Salute the nation

^^^^THIS^^^^

We don’t have enough capital to trade up. I think this is obvious

We have to big a needs to trade down. I think this is obvious as well.

Salute the nation

Yes,sir. Build the lines. This is no year to go for offensive toys or trading up for some soft LB.

Besides building the lines makes the entire team better.

idk.. i would like an ILB. and we need a corner..
I think we have our Two starting defensive tackles on the roster. I dont think they prioritize the NT enough to make it a top 3 pick.

Good point BUT, the value would have to be there.

BPA VS Player of Need VS Value at round position.

You know as well as me that we can’t just reach for player of need. I think we can get two of the first four to equal that equation and be Trench Workers.

Today I target OLT as being that one single player we can’t miss on. Many here say Moore can slide to LG (I know nothing is guaranteed) but that would be my strategy going forward

ILB and CB, with ILB edging out but either is important, so the value equation comes into play.

Free Agency will also govern the logistics of priority for the draft.

Salute the naion

Last edited:
I think we could trade back about 5 spots in the first and 10 spots with #32 and still get quality since we have several needs. Of course, the return has to be worth it.

I’m anxious to see if deals are made to get first round QB’s this year. This could definitely help us out. Projections are for 4or 5 of them to go first round…then again, we remember last year.

I think we could trade back about 5 spots in the first and 10 spots with #32 and still get quality since we have several needs. Of course, the return has to be worth it.

I’m anxious to see if deals are made to get first round QB’s this year. This could definitely help us out. Projections are for 4or 5 of them to go first round…then again, we remember last year.

You’ve got a good scenario there Buster, but I don’t think I’d do both this year. We have to big of need in HIGH quality players.

Our current 1st two picks have us in a GREAT spot to obtain player of need vs draft spot value. We need a day one starter in a LT and if we get him it will require a high investment such as 1.17 to get him.

Salute the nation

I think we definitely need a quality corner either through FA or draft. I would go for LT or CB in round one. I dont see ILB as that big of need. I think we can add a decent cheap player through FA or grab one in the later rounds. If we dont have DJ then that leaves a hole at WR. We need to work on finding Cam's replacement he is not going to play forever. We have a lot of areas that need improvement. As long as the guy is not a total reach then would not be upset w/ most positions.

I think we definitely need a quality corner either through FA or draft. I would go for LT or CB in round one. I dont see ILB as that big of need. I think we can add a decent cheap player through FA or grab one in the later rounds. If we dont have DJ then that leaves a hole at WR. We need to work on finding Cam's replacement he is not going to play forever. We have a lot of areas that need improvement. As long as the guy is not a total reach then would not be upset w/ most positions.
Really no ILBer in the draft that screams hey pick me at 17.

For me at 17 it is value meets need:

T
G
CB
WR

Also ok with a pass rushing OLB/DE if it was clearly BPA

At 32 we can expand to:

C
ILBer
S

Late 2,3 and 4 rinse and repeat.

This is how I perceive the big board..

The Steelers have 4 picks in the top 80 spots. Rare firepower to trade up in a draft. But also they go from pick 120 to 236 with nothing between. What do you see the Steelers doing? Using some firepower to go from 17 into the top 10 or do you think they entertain moving back with 17 or 32 and filling up those day three pick gaps? Hard to say with the new GM. Colbert always liked having at least one pick in each round. But Khan I feel is a little less OCD about drafting a player in each round. But of course they would have to have a player in mind to target to move up.

I say trade down in round one IF the top three tackles are off the board in round one to pick #22-31, picking up an additional 3rd and 6th round pick.

Why wouldn’t we have DJ ? Deonte Johnson, just signed an extension last year for a total of three years. We have him next two, unless my O’l memory is thinking wrong…..

They are not going to trade him.

Salute the nation

I say trade down in round one IF the top three tackles are off the board in round one to pick #22-31, picking up an additional 3rd and 6th round pick.
Steelers have other needs besides T. That isn't their only need. Feel free to say what players you would take. Or would you rather wait until after the draft?

😁