• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should the Steelers trade up or trade down?

Really no ILBer in the draft that screams hey pick me at 17.

For me at 17 it is value meets need:

T
G
CB
WR

Also ok with a pass rushing OLB/DE if it was clearly BPA

At 32 we can expand to:

C
ILBer
S

Late 2,3 and 4 rinse and repeat.

This is how I perceive the big board..
I'm not sure there's a guard (unless you include Skoronski) worthy of a pick at 17. OT and CB would be what I'm focusing on there. If there's a run on both positions start taking offers.

I agree with your overall assessment though of positions to focus on and if they want one there will be value for interior lineman day two.

I'm not sure there's a guard (unless you include Skoronski) worthy of a pick at 17. OT and CB would be what I'm focusing on there. If there's a run on both positions start taking offers.

I agree with your overall assessment though of positions to focus on and if they want one there will be value for interior lineman day two.
Yep Skor was who I was thinking of good catch.

In a situation that still has one of the top 2 or 3 LTs still on the board, how high could we trade up to in the first round with 17 and 32? I wouldn't think we could move up a whole lot.

In a situation that still has one of the top 2 or 3 LTs still on the board, how high could we trade up to in the first round with 17 and 32? I wouldn't think we could move up a whole lot.
There isn't a O-Lineman I would move up for and I like me some Paris. This actually looks like a draft I would be more inclined value wise to move down. Even then it is who is on the board mixed in with need.

I wouldn't move up even for Jalen Carter, that says it all

There isn't a O-Lineman I would move up for and I like me some Paris. This actually looks like a draft I would be more inclined value wise to move down. Even then it is who is on the board mixed in with need.
If the kid from Penn state was in this draft, he would be worth moving up into the top ten for… there are four really good T prospects this year but no obvious home runs… Paris Johnson’s weak point are exactly what would be problematic in the current scheme… he is more potential than polish… the other three are all have questions about them… the kid from Georgia might just be a better version of Dan moore, stronger at runblocking than pass protection… Harrison is solid and fundamentally sound but not really great at anything.. petey might be too short and end up at guard… then there are like ten guys all with really good potential after them, so honestly even if we miss put on the big four, its not like we can’t get a good prospect in the second or third… or maybe even the fourth… id rather them use that first round pick on T, but it isn’t absolutely necessary

If the kid from Penn state was in this draft, he would be worth moving up into the top ten for… there are four really good T prospects this year but no obvious home runs… Paris Johnson’s weak point are exactly what would be problematic in the current scheme… he is more potential than polish… the other three are all have questions about them… the kid from Georgia might just be a better version of Dan moore, stronger at runblocking than pass protection… Harrison is solid and fundamentally sound but not really great at anything.. petey might be too short and end up at guard… then there are like ten guys all with really good potential after them, so honestly even if we miss put on the big four, its not like we can’t get a good prospect in the second or third… or maybe even the fourth… id rather them use that first round pick on T, but it isn’t absolutely necessary
Paris or Broderick (kid from Georgia) would be solid at 17. I think Paris' pass protect is NFL ready now. The run blocking might take a little time. Skor and Brod could be star guard IMO at worst. So I think those three have high floors. Just not enough that they should be traded up for.

OOopppss

Post 56 & 57 say what needs said for our LT prospect.

Salute the nation

Paris or Broderick (kid from Georgia) would be solid at 17. I think Paris' pass protect is NFL ready now. The run blocking might take a little time. Skor and Brod could be star guard IMO at worst. So I think those three have high floors. Just not enough that they should be traded up for.
Correct me if I am wrong but I see most scouting reports saying that Paris has issues with handwork and our scheme is extremely handwork reliant… that guy might have been an all pro type in cowhers “kent stephenson” or “russ grimm type system … in what we have now I’m terrified he isn’t gonna get the punch timing thing down and just get Kendrick greened all over the place

Correct me if I am wrong but I see most scouting reports saying that Paris has issues with handwork and our scheme is extremely handwork reliant… that guy might have been an all pro type in cowhers “kent stephenson” or “russ grimm type system … in what we have now I’m terrified he isn’t gonna get the punch timing thing down and just get Kendrick greened all over the place
Eh the athleticism fits any scheme. Kendricks issues revolve around being undersized. Paris has no size concerns and any perceived scouting report flaws are really just minor. Not to the level it restricts to limit him in any capacity. He isn't a conversion project. If a report (s) meant that in his run blocking element that could have technical improvement or aggression improvement still not concerned because you can win in overpowering or athletically pushing/pulling sealing. He should be at least very good at that while improving in other areas. Usually the tackles I have seen falter at LT in the NFL came out with some athletic concerns, size concerns, or conversion concerns, weight concerns, or competition faced concerns. Paris has none of that. This guy should test out in the elite range. Top 5 to 10 range. A high floor type. Will he be an all pro? Maybe. Will he be a LT upgrade for the Steelers in our scheme. I would be comfy with that bet sure.

Last edited:
Eh the athleticism fits any scheme.
Offensive line is a rare spot where I don't think that is the case. Teams really need the players to fit the scheme employed by the offensive line coach. I think this is where you see some of the better offensive lines and coaches in the league are a perfect match.

Too many needs and we need quality, not quantity. I'd stick where we are unless we can get a 2nd or 3rd and only move back maybe 3 spots in the first. I don't care what the values say. We don't need or really want to trade back so some team would need to sweeten the pot. We need the best OL, DL, and CB we can get with our first 3 picks and then throw in a ILB and/or EDGE with our round 3 or 4 pick. Hopefully, the draft falls that way and our new talent guys have the board that shows that and we don't reach like we seem to have many times. We always seem to take a guy who no one had rated for 2 or 3 rounds later.

Eh the athleticism fits any scheme. Kendricks issues revolve around being undersized. Paris has no size concerns and any perceived scouting report flaws are really just minor. Not to the level it restricts to limit him in any capacity. He isn't a conversion project. If a report (s) meant that in his run blocking element that could have technical improvement or aggression improvement still not concerned because you can win in overpowering or athletically pushing/pulling sealing. He should be at least very good at that while improving in other areas. Usually the tackles I have seen falter at LT in the NFL came out with some athletic concerns, size concerns, or conversion concerns, weight concerns, or competition faced concerns. Paris has none of that. This guy should test out in the elite range. Top 5 to 10 range. A high floor type. Will he be an all pro? Maybe. Will he be a LT upgrade for the Steelers in our scheme. I would be comfy with that bet sure.

Excellent break down and post, thanks slash !!!!!

I’ve been hoping he falls to us and we can get him.

Salute the nation

Because I've done at least 1,000 mock drafts, what I'm about to say cannot be disputed. :rolleyes: At 17 there is always a quality of player of need available, but at 32 and 49
I always find myself reaching. If I was going to trade down a few spots, this is where I would do it.

Because I've done at least 1,000 mock drafts, what I'm about to say cannot be disputed. :rolleyes: At 17 there is always a quality of player of need available, but at 32 and 49
I always find myself reaching. If I was going to trade down a few spots, this is where I would do it.
Wise words

Trade up or down Ford???
Ludicrous

They just need to work on that 40 time and get the pick in quicker say 10 seconds rather than 30 seconds

Trade up or down Ford???
Ludicrous

They just need to work on that 40 time and get the pick in quicker say 10 seconds rather than 30 seconds
I’m going to give Khan a fair shake. Colbert’s mo was not trading and being locked in on a player. Khan was instrumental in making the Fitzpatrick trade. He dealt Claypool. I have some optimism to think he will listen to phone calls up to the last minute.

I’m going to give Khan a fair shake. Colbert’s mo was not trading and being locked in on a player. Khan was instrumental in making the Fitzpatrick trade. He dealt Claypool. I have some optimism to think he will listen to phone calls up to the last minute.

That top of the second round pick is so invaluable for trading… if a guy falls who isnt in a position we need someone will pay a lot after sleeping on it overnight.. all it takes is one of the first round qbs or a high ranked guy we don’t want to slip into the top of the second and we may get a high third plus to trade down a couple of spots…

Trade up or down Ford???
Ludicrous

You must have been asleep or high as a ****-ing kite……………

In the last eight consecutive drafts, the slowest time turned in on Roger’s call to STEELERS submittal ……

.008 sec.

Salute the nation

You must have been asleep or high as a ****-ing kite……………

In the last eight consecutive drafts, the slowest time turned in on Roger’s call to STEELERS submittal ……

.008 sec.

Salute the nation
"With the 19th selection in the 2022 NFL draft, the New Orl........... wait, what, the Steeler selection is in?"

Steelers have other needs besides T. That isn't their only need. Feel free to say what players you would take. Or would you rather wait until after the draft?

😁

The day the draft ends I will submit an article of who I would have taken. Why don't you do the same? We have other needs yes, which is why I am for trading down in round one staying in the round if offered.

The combine and pro days will give us additional information as did the senior bowl week practices and game. The draft board will change with these events.

If you are not sold on Pickett ( as I did not want him in round one last year ) my call was D. Lloyd, you might want to check out QB prospect Jake Heaner. The QB flat out played well and can pass for lot of yards per game. Yes his competition was mediocre, but so were the guys he was working with. At the senior bowl practices which features 100+ players drafted last year, and game he stood out, winning game MVP. He showed a good arm ( better than Pickett ) good release, pocket mobility, and was quick to pick things up ( probably a high Football IQ ) type of guy with a command in the huddle. Insanely accurate in college last year. ( 72% with few interceptions for the year in 3 thrown ) I think he would make a fine 3rd or 4th round pick for us and provide us with another cheap option at QB and hedge against Pickett who if you dig down, benefited form a defense the lead the NFL in interceptions, and passed for few yards. Who did he beat at QB, who? He did not complete the 5,6,7,8, or 9 or routes ( do you know what they are? ) as much as he needs too. Here this chart can help you understand what I am saying.

He mostly threw very short passes. And the Steelers can not plan on leading the NFL in interceptions for the defense again or for Pickett to be a game manager. I'd dump both Trubisky saving 8 million on the cap and let Rudolph go and sign a cheap veteran free agent.

Now do you want to talk football or continue with your sophomoric insults? If the answer is the first choice I will be here to chat. Your move.

Steelers have other needs besides T. That isn't their only need. Feel free to say what players you would take. Or would you rather wait until after the draft?

😁

The day the draft ends I will submit an article of who I would have taken. Why don't you do the same? We have other needs yes, which is why I am for trading down in round one staying in the round if offered.

The combine and pro days will give us additional information as did the senior bowl week practices and game. The draft board will change with these events.

If you are not sold on Pickett ( as I did not want him in round one last year ) my call was D. Lloyd, you might want to check out QB prospect Jake Heaner. The QB flat out played well and can pass for lot of yards per game. Yes his competition was mediocre, but so were the guys he was working with. At the senior bowl practices which features 100+ players drafted last year, and game he stood out, winning game MVP. He showed a good arm ( better than Pickett ) good release, pocket mobility, and was quick to pick things up ( probably a high Football IQ ) type of guy with a command in the huddle. Insanely accurate in college last year. ( 72% with few interceptions for the year in 3 thrown ) I think he would make a fine 3rd or 4th round pick for us and provide us with another cheap option at QB and hedge against Pickett who if you dig down, benefited form a defense the lead the NFL in interceptions, and passed for few yards. Who did he beat at QB, who? He did not complete the 5,6,7,8, or 9 or routes ( do you know what they are? ) as much as he needs too. Here this chart can help you understand what I am saying.

He mostly threw very short passes. And the Steelers can not plan on leading the NFL in interceptions for the defense again or for Pickett to be a game manager. I'd dump both Trubisky saving 8 million on the cap and let Rudolph go and sign a cheap veteran free agent.

Now do you want to talk football or continue with your sophomoric insults? If the answer is the first choice I will be here to chat. Your move.

😁