• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sky Rocketing Wide Receiver Market Drives Up Steelers Diontae Johnson’s Price

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The wide receiver market continues to grow this off-season. That has to be concerning for the Pittsburgh Steelers. Earlier this week, rumors began circulating of Diontae Johnson reportedly looking for a big contract of $90 million over five years to stay with the Steelers.

Source: Diontae Johnson contract demands going up. Looking more like 5 years, $90 million.

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) April 6, 2022

How it Started​

When the Jacksonville Jaguars announced an eye-opening contract to Christian Kirk in March, the wide receiver market changed. Since then, we’ve seen Tyreek Hill sign a four-year, $120 million contract with the Miami Dolphins, Davante Adams signing a five-year, $141.25 million contract with the Las Vegas Raiders, and Stefon Diggs signing a four-year, $104 million contract extension with the Buffalo Bills. While the latter are undoubtedly premier talent in the NFL, it’s hard to compare their talent level to Johnson’s because quite frankly, he isn’t there yet. However, because of Kirk’s contract, there is hope for Johnson’s request – but the Steelers shouldn’t budge – at least not yet.

The Problem for Johnson and the Steelers​

In Johnson’s time thus far with Pittsburgh, drops have been a glaring issue. In 2020, he led the entire NFL with 13 drops, including some in critical moments of games. He’s since improved on his technique last season when he introduced a tennis ball machine into his workout routine that significantly improved his catch rate and limited his dropped balls to just five. “Sometimes you drop the ball – big deal,” said Johnson in a podcast interview with 93.7 The Fan. “The best of the best drop the ball and at the end of the day, I’m only human,” he adds. Diontae reiterated that he doesn’t have a “drop problem.”

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Diontae Johnson

Pittsburgh Steelers WR Diontae Johnson | Twitter: @JSKO_Photography

You may remember seeing a rendition of his tennis ball routine during his pre-game warmups.

Diontae Johnson’s practice repertoire includes this exercise.

Note that he enlists help to do this daily at practice but also bought a machine to do at home.

The best players coach themselves up and enlist others to help. pic.twitter.com/BI39PHVmYD

— Matt Waldman (@MattWaldman) November 22, 2021

Johnson also finished with the fifth-most receptions in the NFL last season (107) partially due to Ben Roethlisberger’s reliance on the shorter slant routes and out routes. Johnson’s 107 receptions were the most of his career.

What Should Happen?​

While he has shown signs of improvement, that was essentially his only solid season in four years in the NFL, making his $90 million demand a tough sell for someone who is still improving on the drop issue that has prevented him from becoming a reliable threat. The departure of JuJu Smith-Schuster this off-season gives him an opportunity to build off his strong season to potentially replicate those numbers. But until then, Pittsburgh should hold off on extending an offer until the end of the 2022-2023 season and until the tennis ball routine is no longer a thing.

Johnson will be entering the final year of his four-year deal where he is set to make just under $3 million – ranking his contract at 136 out of 378 wide receivers in the league.

READ MORE ON DIONTAE JOHNSON​

Why Paying Diontae Johnson Should Be A Top Priority For Pittsburgh

Why Diontae Johnson Doesn’t Have a ‘Drop Problem’

Do you think Johnson deserves his rumored contract request? Let us know in the comments below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Blame the jagoffs with that Kirk signing. DJ is not in Diggs' or Adams' league.

He’s not worth the money. They should put a deduction clause in for drops if they decide to resign him

With our defense, and how we should run the ball, I would almost entertain a trade for DJ. if you can get a 1st for him, I would do so.

Blame the jagoffs with that Kirk signing. DJ is not in Diggs' or Adams' league.
Really because look at diggs stats last year and look at djs… hell compare his drops to the rest of the big time wrs… I figured it was going to be 17 million… they should do it now because that’s going to be a major discount by next season

They sign him now and in 3 years his salary will be peanuts. Get it done Tombert.

Not sure why there's the optimism for the guy...He seemed incredibly ordinary and dropped very catchable passes in high pressure situations. Maybe that's par for the course these days. Put that money on the O and D lines.

Not sure why there's the optimism for the guy...He seemed incredibly ordinary and dropped very catchable passes in high pressure situations. Maybe that's par for the course these days. Put that money on the O and D lines.
He finished in the top ten or five in most stats and runs great routes… there is nothing average about him.

For a team bleeding wrs people sure do want to get rid of the talent they have… a starting wr costs 15 million from here on out… an above average one should be in that 18 million range..

He finished in the top ten or five in most stats and runs great routes… there is nothing average about him.

For a team bleeding wrs people sure do want to get rid of the talent they have… a starting wr costs 15 million from here on out… an above average one should be in that 18 million range..
He might run great routes, Mad, but he dropped far too many passes for my liking. Not quite Dwight Hands of Stone but I don't think he should command top pay. Just my .02

With our defense, and how we should run the ball, I would almost entertain a trade for DJ. if you can get a 1st for him, I would do so.
2021 29th in yards, 29th in YPC
2020 32nd in yards, 32nd in YPC
2019 29th in yards, T-27th in YPC
2018 31st in yards, 25th in YPC
2017 20th in yards, T-25th in YPC

How should we run the ball? Getting out of the bottom of the league in rushing would be an accomplishment.

How should we run the ball? Getting out of the bottom of the league in rushing would be an accomplishment.
I'd start by investing heavily in the line. I cannot stand not being able to run over opponents.

He might run great routes, Mad, but he dropped far too many passes for my liking. Not quite Dwight Hands of Stone but I don't think he should command top pay. Just my .02
He gets a bad rap because of the 2020 year where he was running before he had the ball and led the league with 16 drops…
Last season he only had 4 drops… to put that in perspective he was 3rd on the Steelers in drops… he was 17th in The AFC, not the nfl… just the AFC, in drops… bear in mind he was 2nd in the entire nfl in targets…

He has 20 drops in two seasons… in that same time the super elite tyrek hill has 17 … if you count playoffs hill actually has more… he had 3 in that super bowl they lost…

The drop thing was a correctable technical issue that would have never gotten as bad as it did had our wr coach been worth a damn

He gets a bad rap because of the 2020 year where he was running before he had the ball and led the league with 16 drops…
Last season he only had 4 drops… to put that in perspective he was 3rd on the Steelers in drops… he was 17th in The AFC, not the nfl… just the AFC, in drops… bear in mind he was 2nd in the entire nfl in targets…

He has 20 drops in two seasons… in that same time the super elite tyrek hill has 17 … if you count playoffs hill actually has more… he had 3 in that super bowl they lost…

The drop thing was a correctable technical issue that would have never gotten as bad as it did had our wr coach been worth a damn
Not exactly sure what qualifies as a drop in today's NFL but i witnessed a **** ton more drops than 4...

Hey if you want to invest in the guy and be disappointed when the game is on the line, more power to you but my money would be going to the line or other needs.

Not exactly sure what qualifies as a drop in today's NFL but i witnessed a **** ton more drops than 4...

Hey if you want to invest in the guy and be disappointed when the game is on the line, more power to you but my money would be going to the line or other needs.
Im going off the average of the stat sites that track it… the same ones that said he led the nfl the year before… there are criteria for a drop… it has to be a reasonably catchable ball.. fans always inflate or deflated drops based on the popularity of the wr… for instance hines actually had a lot of drops some seasons… but those were ignored or downplayed… he was thought of as sure handed… last year cincis chase led the nfl in drops but you don’t hear bitching about him at all..

Don't even think of paying him north of $15 million per. I'd take any of those guys and a dozen more before DJ. He is nowhere near a top 10 WR and may barely crack the top 20 or 25. Draft a WR this year. Let DJ play out his contract and tag him once. By then, we may know which direction we are going with our QB. It would be a huge mistake to pay him near $20 million per.

Reactions: JMM

We should be much better this year at running the ball. The big issue last year was we had a rookies everywhere. should be much better this year just based on experience.

Provided we don't use that 1st to move up to get a 2nd rnd QB high in the first.

This would be the draft to have two first round picks and actually use them for appropriate players worthy of such.

Salute the nation

I think as the artickle says, let him play out this season and see if he is real. There is the option of "tag" and negotiate a contract at that time. Initially I said 14-15 mil but fast forward to today's "like" contracts I'd bump to 15-17 million per.

Salute the nation

Let this guy go the JuJu route. Go test the market and see how many people offer you 90 million. He has a drop problem and he quits on plays a lot, especially if he isnt getting the ball. You still gotta sell it.

I would not resign him I’d trade him and this draft… been saying it “trade him” he’s a product of the system look at the targets he gets but really does nothing special with the ball. hes just average not worth the money he’s asking. Now dayz you have to have a solid core then keep drafting, trading, signing the skilled guys the better your core the more expensive then you have to be more aggressive in moving these guys. look at KC doubt they wanted to move tyreek hill but they’ll get by. next gm will have to be better than Colbert we lost a lot of guys and got no real value for them gm is a glorified qb now… good ones are as rare as good qbs.