• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So is there any trade value in Pouncey?

My Take:

The drop from star center to medicre Center isnt as wide as say, star CB to mediocre CB, but there are other factors to consider...
First of all, Cody Wallace isnt a legitimate solution at Center long term. He had issue this year and with ayear of tape im not sure he replicates the same season. If we move Pouncey, there had better be a better option on the team unless you want to risk Ben's health on a low talent career journeyman.

Secondly, while Wallace is a grater, he really couldnt pull well, so our run game was limited and not as efficient. Having decastro pull all the time got him a pro bowl bid, but having a center that can pull well would open up the offense that much more, particularly in the red zone.

Thirdly, The defense didnt give up a ton of points. while a Cb or S upgrade would be worthy, maybe say signing the guy out of San diego, for instance, we arent likely improving the overall defensive result markedly better than the boost the line gets if Pouncey plays on Offense.

Id take, say, a swap of older linemen from Cleveland for the younger pouncey, but overall its better to hope he quits getting his ankles rolled up on and have a known top tier talent improve this team in its strength, than to say just dump him for a pick and hope 3 years from now that pick is useful. and use that money on a free agent that ikely will take a year to adapt anyhow

When did I ever say Wallace filled in admirably? All I meant was the team would be improved more with Wallace and a shut down corner than it would be with Pouncey and Blake.

I didn't know if Pouncey was traded, Bell and Beachum had to go with him. If we are talking about trading 1 player, I can see why it would be Pouncey based on his value and non-skill position plus his consistently injured status.

I think both of you missed the part where I said I don't support trading Pouncey lol Just because I can see why the topic is brought up doesn't mean I support it. I can see why someone could get addicted to drugs and give you some reasons as to why that could happen, that doesn't mean I would go out and do it myself.

I was replying to the part about fans seeing we made the divisional round without him, just saying we did that without Bell and Beachum as well, not calling you out at all

My only point that I disagree with you on Nits is on the assessment of the Center position. I do consider it a skill position, only because the ball is touched by that player each and every play. Muffed snaps are a big deal, and something we as Steeler fans don't normally have to worry about when Pouncey is snapping the ball.

I think the center position isn't an area where you need a stud to win a super bowl.

In order of importance its well below QB, WR, LT, RT, CB, Pass rusher, and RB.

I'd rate center above G, FB, and Kicker, and Punter.

Pouncey and Beachum
to the stains for
Thomas and Mack

There is only one team stupid enough.

This Madden GM stuff is easy.

It would be stupid to trade either one. Bell or Pouncey
Let's have this conversation again in October. I suspect Pouncey may once again be wearing sweatpants by then. I think we play the Bengals Before October too... Bell may not survive that game either. I'd just play Williams to keep Burfict away from Leveon.

No way to I ever trade Pouncey. I try and find a better backup to Wallace. Didn't he lead the league in penalties this year?
So, you want to get a 3rd center to backup our backup center who you suspect will probably be filling in as our primary center? Huh? Oh... Reading it again I assume you meant you want to find a better backup THAN Wallace. Ok. I see.

I wouldn't trade him, I don't think anyone else would trade for him given his contract and injury history, but if I were the Steelers I wouldn't give him another contract either.

Not the Steelers way to do that.

You'd eat a lot of dead money from his contract too ($11.6 million either all this year or $3.5M now and $8.1M next year depending on June 1st designation).

Note he is due a $3.5 million roster bonus on March 13th, so if we do cut bait completely, it will happen before then. If he's still on the team come March 14th, he's here for this season for sure.

I know he has a contract that is more than many would like, but that same contract essentially prevents a trade from happening. Plus, they are a better team when he is in the lineup. Hopefully no freak injuries this year.

The risk of keeping him and his fat contract is he may not have the foots peed or leverage he once had. Ankle and knee injuries can really slow a guy down or end his career. Look at rg3.

Trade him for a 3rd, eat the dead money in some prudent fashion and use the pick for olb, s or cb.

I think the center position isn't an area where you need a stud to win a super bowl.

In order of importance its well below QB, WR, LT, RT, CB, Pass rusher, and RB.

I'd rate center above G, FB, and Kicker, and Punter.

It's not your rating, it's the Steelers. When you go Webster, Dawson, Hartings, scrubs then Pouncey, you see how this franchise views centers. We go through centers second only to coaches. You build your team from the inside out and lines are built the same way. We are a #1 offense with Pouncey playing healthy. And a Healthy Pouncey improves the QB, WR, TE, and RBs.

The risk of keeping him and his fat contract is he may not have the foots peed or leverage he once had. Ankle and knee injuries can really slow a guy down or end his career. Look at rg3.

Trade him for a 3rd, eat the dead money in some prudent fashion and use the pick for olb, s or cb.

And we are basing this on what???

Lets trade Pouncy, Bell, Brown, Ben, Shazier, DeCastro and Heyward. Im sure we will get 10 first round picks, 5 second rounders and a couple of 3rd rounders. We can then take all those picks and project which grade-schoolers will be the stars of the future, when the NFL officially becomes a flag football league, and guarantee we have the top 5 pics in each draft for 5 years.

I think if the Stains see this post, they might offer me a job!

Amazing the Madden GMs we have on this board. Wallace got blown up consistently this year, at one point I would have rather seen Legursky start. I realize Pouncey has had problems staying on the field, but like coryea said, these aren't injuries from him being soft. These are guys rolling into him. Pouncey is dominant when he's on the field. Get over yourselves, when Pouncey isn't getting rolled into he's downfield blocking and making the Pro Bowl.

mmmmnot sure "dominant" is the word I would use. Closer to "pretty good" than "dominant" IMO

The Steelers have a guy named Munchak who's opinion I value more than all these posts put together.

Ok? Should we end the thread now?

Trading Pouncey would actually hurt our salary cap. Wallace is a terrific backup but he can't hold Pouncey's jock strap.

Ahh, that's about the size of it. I'm not a cap guru but he is the 4th highest paid player we have with a cap number over 10M and over 11M in dead money owed him from restructures.

Dudes expensive !

Player.....................Base Salary.......(Guaranteed) Bonuses ....Cap Number ..........Dead Money & Cap Savings

Maurkice Pouncey $3,500,000 $3,551,000 $3,500,000 .........$10,551,000..........$11,604,000 .....($1,053,000)

Trading him, player wise anyway shouldn't be a huge deal. Wallace isn't the only possible center we have.

Beachum can do it but he didn't do it all that well in the short term he tried
Hubbard is still young but he is capable, plus they have him listed at C/G..so he must have shown sumptin'
Finnley also showed some kind of aptitude to be designated C/G

I'm not even going to list Legs...I think he's history.

While we could possibly trade Pouncy, I can't see it happening, too many negatives.

When did I ever say Wallace filled in admirably? All I meant was the team would be improved more with Wallace and a shut down corner than it would be with Pouncey and Blake.

I didn't know if Pouncey was traded, Bell and Beachum had to go with him. If we are talking about trading 1 player, I can see why it would be Pouncey based on his value and non-skill position plus his consistently injured status.

I think both of you missed the part where I said I don't support trading Pouncey lol Just because I can see why the topic is brought up doesn't mean I support it. I can see why someone could get addicted to drugs and give you some reasons as to why that could happen, that doesn't mean I would go out and do it myself.

So you are addicted to drugs?

/JK

I could care less if they traded Pouncey. Will not happen for the cap hit reasons though. To bad. We over paid him. He has been hurt almost as often as he has played. His replacements while being paid a fraction of what Pouncey makes do a decent job with all thongs considered. In my opinion anyways. He his here to stay though so I hope he gets healthy and comes back better than before.

Pouncey and Beachum
to the stains for
Thomas and Mack

There is only one team stupid enough.

This Madden GM stuff is easy.

Well it is the Browns. I think they would throw in Joe Haden if we sweetened the pot with Cam Thomas