• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Stadium Upgrades on the Way?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
It's flown under the radar on this board, but with all the chatter going on, I wanted to get everyone's thoughts.

With David Morehouse's promotion, the Steelers have something in the works.

I'd think the practice facility will either get major upgrades or a new location. The Steelers are all Pittsburgh, but the owners worry about money more than anything else, so maybe they'd move out of the Southside.

As far as the stadium goes, you've got the group that thinks the Steelers will try for a new stadium outside of the city and others that the Steelers will focus on upgrading the current stadium.

Given the development on the North Shore and the accessibility in terms of walking, driving, boats, and the T, it doesn't make much sense for the Steelers to leave, not to mention having the stadium in the heart of the city makes the experience much better.

What's going on around the league? New stadiums are on the way in Buffalo and Nashville. Buffalo is one of the truly outdated stadiums left in the league. The stadium in Nashville is fine, but they want to view this location as a place that can consistently host major events such as the Final 4, probably College Football Playoffs, and Super Bowls. I get that it's a destination city, I don't know if it has as much appeal as they think. Chicago is likely to get a new stadium as well.

Stadiums in line for upgrades:

Denver - $100 million in renovations, which is a significant investment.

Cincinnati - Potential upgrades upwards of $500+ million, new still an option.

Baltimore - Recently completed over $100 in renovations and another upgrade is in the works worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Cleveland - $1 billion to basically tear down and rebuild.

Any thoughts on what the Steelers will do? The popular answers are move to Cranberry or build a retractable roof. I don't think either will happen. Too much invested in the North Shore and retractable roofs are a waste of money.

What I read was the bathrooms getting upgraded. I can't remember all that the player survey covered, but they should try to stay up on some of that.

What I read was the bathrooms getting upgraded. I can't remember all that the player survey covered, but they should try to stay up on some of that.
In recent years they've upgraded the scoreboard, lower level bathrooms (those were expanding), closed the end zone and added the clubs, added Franco's pizza, a pro shop, and Hall of Honor.

Let me be explicitly clear on this. I am a huge steelers fan. i have been since i was a small child and a born and raised Pittsburgher from within the city limits…

If the Rooneys want a new stadium they can take the team and **** right off… explicitly… I can root for them anywhere and after last time no tax money should ever ever go back to sports teams that make millions..

It’s been thoroughly disproven that nfl teams ever bring a financial benefit equal to the money dumped into the stadiums. A light remodeling, fine… and if the Rooneys wish to pony up money, fine… but zero taxpayer dollars for any new stadium anywhere.

* i am absolutely fine with remodeling within reason… the free new stadium fad has got to end

In recent years they've upgraded the scoreboard, lower level bathrooms (those were expanding), closed the end zone and added the clubs, added Franco's pizza, a pro shop, and Hall of Honor.
That is a good amount. I think I have seen the majority of that list. I don't remember Franco's pizza but I usually don't eat pizza for the most part. Was that added last year?

I read this and my 1st thought was its a new stadium! then you realize the 3 rivers has been gone for 20+ years. Crazy to think about that

You must be the only person I've heard of that doesn't usually eat pizza.
Love w good pizza but have not eaten it in years. Low carb is awesome except the pizza

Stadiums in line for upgrades:
Cincinnati - Potential upgrades upwards of $500+ million, new still an option.

Baltimore - Recently completed over $100 in renovations and another upgrade is in the works worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Cleveland - $1 billion to basically tear down and rebuild. Of that 1Billion, $800,000.00 to cleanse the place…..

Any thoughts on what the Steelers will do? The popular answers are move to Cranberry or build a retractable roof. I don't think either will happen. Too much invested in the North Shore and retractable roofs are a waste of money.

Stuff adds up, staff infections / crapped pants / fan breath / stench / and many hidden decaying fumes as well…..

Salute the nation

You must be the only person I've heard of that doesn't usually eat pizza.
I keep away from foods that I think I wouldn't eat the right portions. Sort of a diet thing. I might steal a piece here and there if ol girl orders it. But yeah it just is on a list that I stay away from generally.

They just built Heinz....Seems like it anyways. I remember being there for the first preseason game against Detroit and standing on the North side deck at the base of the 500 level seats. Looking down on the pristine field with the skyline in the distance and wondering where the beer guy was. ;)

It was so different from TRS which just emulated the Steelers teams of the 70s. Heinz was this bright flashy thing while the home of the Steelers I grew up with was in a landfill somewhere.

If it were an entirely new stadium, I think we definitely would have heard something. That takes serious time, negotiation and plannIng.

Last edited:
Best stadium location in the league. PERIOD!

It would be like moving PNC from the North Shore and not having the view...

Either are unthinkable...

Their locations is what makes both of the places special and quintessential Pittsburgh!

Last edited:

Their locations is what makes both of the places special and quintessential Pittsburgh!

Most certainly, take the incline up at station square and RH turn and walk on a night before the game. Both Stadiums are usually lit up. Nothing like it and awesome photo pops…… and memory builders…

MONEY $$$$ is usually the core reason for anything change, with-in the NFL. The shameful part is they try and successfully get TAXPAYER money to do so. BIGEST scam / waste of the taxpayer’s money ever.

Salute the nation

Obviously at some point they will need to replace. Is their any available real estate near where you would build? It's an iconic spot and football stadiums take years.

I wish there was still mass tailgating like there was at TRS.

Three Rivers lasted 30 years. I see no reason the current stadium shouldn't last 40+, at the very least. They will want/need to do some renovations but talk about a new stadium should be over a decade away.