• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Starbucks protests in Philadelphia

Problem solved - buy product from said store, stay as long as you want.

The problem comes when a policy like this isn't applied across the board. As a white woman I've sat and waited to meet people in Starbucks numerous times. I've never had a single employee look askance at me. I've made rest stops at Starbucks and used the restroom without buying a thing and no one's ever said a word to me. Can't say I've been in this particular store, but people who are there regularly will know whether this is a common occurrence or whether it has to do with them being two young black men. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out

But let's not try and pretend like racism of this sort doesn't exist. It does.

the whataboutism is strong in this one

As ive stated earlier...ITS PART OF THE CULTURE OF TRUMPISM. I didn't bring up Cosby. Someone else did but I thought id offer comparison.

But my statement is a fair argument. Bill is assumed guilty...his alleged crimes happened 20-30 years ago, while Trump, who admitted he grabbed *****, peeping Tom'd in on teenage girls, and made moves on women and has a list of 16 strong, that say he carried out the actions hes bragged about on tape and in these parts, they are all liars. Why is Bills accusers validated and believable, but Trumps are scallywagging liars ?

The problem comes when a policy like this isn't applied across the board. As a white woman I've sat and waited to meet people in Starbucks numerous times. I've never had a single employee look askance at me. I've made rest stops at Starbucks and used the restroom without buying a thing and no one's ever said a word to me. Can't say I've been in this particular store, but people who are there regularly will know whether this is a common occurrence or whether it has to do with them being two young black men. Will be interesting to see how that shakes out

So does anyone actually believe that no other race, gender, age or religion background has been removed from an establishment for loitering? Nope. It’s just not good enough for front page.

So does anyone actually believe that no other race, gender, age or religion background has been removed from an establishment for loitering? Nope. It’s just not good enough for front page.

Do you actually believe that as a middle aged white woman they would call 911 on me if I said I was waiting for a friend and would buy something when they got there? I can virtually guarantee that would not happen.

Do you actually believe that as a middle aged white woman they would call 911 on me if I said I was waiting for a friend and would buy something when they got there? I can virtually guarantee that would not happen.

If you refused to leave or purchase something. Yes.

If you refused to leave or purchase something. Yes.

I wish this would hold true for the homeless people at the downtown McDonald's I stop in every morning for my coffee. I end up buying the same guy a large coffee (12 sugars, 5 creamers) everyday because I just can't say no. Now honestly I feel bad they're homeless and I know there are shelters and all, but I think they get filled and where else do they go? McDonald's, on Wood Street, downtown. They're there with or without anything, and of course they only way they get anything is if someone (aka me) buys it. Anyone want a coffee, come on down, I can't say no, so...

I wish this would hold true for the homeless people at the downtown McDonald's I stop in every morning for my coffee. I end up buying the same guy a large coffee (12 sugars, 5 creamers) everyday because I just can't say no. Now honestly I feel bad they're homeless and I know there are shelters and all, but I think they get filled and where else do they go? McDonald's, on Wood Street, downtown. They're there with or without anything, and of course they only way they get anything is if someone (aka me) buys it. Anyone want a coffee, come on down, I can't say no, so...

If he takes 12 sugars and 5 creamers, that problem might take care of itself.

Racism like this does exist. However, none of us know the real facts. And I agree, it would be great if policies like this were applied across the board equally. But that isn't realistic.

There is a Starbucks near me in Montgomery County MD that is often vastly empty. I can go in there, set up a laptop and work and I'm rarely threatening their space or affecting their business. They could rightfully have asked me to leave IF this is their policy. Now combat that with a Starbucks in Manhattan. Crazy busy and those tables churn $$. Loitering in an establishment like that does affect business and I can see where they would enforce a policy like that in one location v another. I was recently in Vegas for a week for a conference. The Starbucks in the Mandalay had a line like Seinfeld's Soup Nazi kitchen. Sometimes an hour wait. They want those tables for people paying. I get it.

Were these guys, realtors, who are often mobile, regularly using the establishment in lieu of paying for office space? Or was this a one time things? I don't know. But if I was the manager, regardless of skin color or gender, if you regularly come into my establishment, aren't buying product, using it as a place of business, I'm likely to enforce the policy.

Again, tons of what ifs and we don't know enough about the background. This well could have been racism. It could have been a business decision. Sadly we see racism every day and none of us know.

If he takes 12 sugars and 5 creamers, that problem might take care of itself.

You'd think, right? No seriously, it's a problem. I don't care what people do and loitering doesn't bother me one way or the other as a patron, but when they're consistently bothering the paying customers it's a pain in the ***. And I realize homeless and race isn't the same thing, but they're still nonpaying customers just sitting there. I was wondering if these places, like the Philly Starbucks, have their own private policies or does Starbucks have a corporate wide policy of no loiters? I know, I should google that.

Just had a latte-sipping co-worker of mine tell me Starbucks invites everyone in to use their internet in their pajamas and has done so for a while, so **** Starbucks.

Whuh?

As ive stated earlier...ITS PART OF THE CULTURE OF TRUMPISM. I didn't bring up Cosby. Someone else did but I thought id offer comparison.

But my statement is a fair argument. Bill is assumed guilty...his alleged crimes happened 20-30 years ago, while Trump, who admitted he grabbed *****, peeping Tom'd in on teenage girls, and made moves on women and has a list of 16 strong, that say he carried out the actions hes bragged about on tape and in these parts, they are all liars. Why is Bills accusers validated and believable, but Trumps are scallywagging liars ?

I always thought Bill was a great role model for ALL people. His show which was timed perfectly for American culture, was about a married couple with strong moral character raising some kids. They weren't black. They were people who instilled positive behavior in their family. I don't know if Cosby did this stuff, if he did and is found guilty thereof, penalty is to be paid. But from where I sit, it's not because he wasn't given a fair shake in America, it's his own shortcomings that got him here. The rule of law got him here, not his skin. Again, stop projecting your racial bias. It's tired dude.

You'd think, right? No seriously, it's a problem. I don't care what people do and loitering doesn't bother me one way or the other as a patron, but when they're consistently bothering the paying customers it's a pain in the ***. And I realize homeless and race isn't the same thing, but they're still nonpaying customers just sitting there. I was wondering if these places, like the Philly Starbucks, have their own private policies or does Starbucks have a corporate wide policy of no loiters? I know, I should google that.

According to a local news story, it is not a corporate policy and is left up to individual managers.

I live in a Philly suburb. Generally there is room to sit all the time in my local Starbucks. I can see if it's a very busy place (which it very well may be in that location) and tables are in high demand, having that policy in place. Obviously the business exists to make money, not to provide a meeting place for people.

I don't really have any problem with the policy per se. I would just venture to guess it isn't always enforced equitably. As Tim mentions, we don't have all the information yet. I do believe that it is not uncommon for young black men to be treated differently than other people would be in the same situation. We can't be blind to this.

I googled “Starbucks loitering policy” and a nice reddit thread pop up from over 5 years ago. Normal managers asking what to do for squatting folks and other non paying customers. Hmmm

Just had a latte-sipping co-worker of mine tell me Starbucks invites everyone in to use their internet in their pajamas and has done so for a while, so **** Starbucks.

If customers sleep in the nude, think Starbucks would mind?

So at our (my famiy’s) restaurant we have live music in the lounge on certain nights. It used to be a regular rotation of local Sinatra type crooners. We had one guy who brought a pretty big following into our restaurant. The problem was they didn’t order food or adult beverages. No, these fans of his requested bread, more mixed nuts, ice water with extra lemons and extra sugar packets... he lasted two nights before we shitcanned him and I have zero guilt about it.

I always thought Bill was a great role model for ALL people. His show which was timed perfectly for American culture, was about a married couple with strong moral character raising some kids. They weren't black. They were people who instilled positive behavior in their family. I don't know if Cosby did this stuff, if he did and is found guilty thereof, penalty is to be paid. But from where I sit, it's not because he wasn't given a fair shake in America, it's his own shortcomings that got him here. The rule of law got him here, not his skin. Again, stop projecting your racial bias. It's tired dude.

Ummm wtf are you surmising that im projecting racial bias ? Explain please. The court of public opinion has Cosby as guilty. IN THIS FORUM AND MOST RIGHT LEANING CIRCLES. While Trump is innocent.
Do you believe Trump is innocent of allegations ?

I used to work at 4th and Wood, and I have been the victim of racial bias in that same McDonald's. True story. Long story.

Sent from my [device_name] using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ummm wtf are you surmising that im projecting racial bias ? Explain please. The court of public opinion has Cosby as guilty. IN THIS FORUM AND MOST RIGHT LEANING CIRCLES. While Trump is innocent.
Do you believe Trump is innocent of allegations ?

I think both are guilty at being "holier than thou" rich, celebrities that didn't know how to take "no" for an answer and would get the puss any way they could take it. I don't think you have to be Right, Left or Middle to see the pattern and hear the stories. Hollywood has practically crumbled from the Weinstein & Co. Sex Scandals, and Trump and Jell-O Bill are choir boys? Come on, can't be that blind, deaf or dumb.

According to a local news story, it is not a corporate policy and is left up to individual managers.

I live in a Philly suburb. Generally there is room to sit all the time in my local Starbucks. I can see if it's a very busy place (which it very well may be in that location) and tables are in high demand, having that policy in place. Obviously the business exists to make money, not to provide a meeting place for people.

I don't really have any problem with the policy per se. I would just venture to guess it isn't always enforced equitably. As Tim mentions, we don't have all the information yet. I do believe that it is not uncommon for young black men to be treated differently than other people would be in the same situation. We can't be blind to this.

Thanks for the reply. I agree, we can't be blind. The unfortunate part is I don't know that it will ever change. BTW it's nice to see another female Steelers fan, I feel more comfortable knowing that.

So at our (my famiy’s) restaurant we have live music in the lounge on certain nights. It used to be a regular rotation of local Sinatra type crooners. We had one guy who brought a pretty big following into our restaurant. The problem was they didn’t order food or adult beverages. No, these fans of his requested bread, more mixed nuts, ice water with extra lemons and extra sugar packets... he lasted two nights before we shitcanned him and I have zero guilt about it.

LOL nor should you. That's taking up a table for paying customers who would also enjoy that music. I would have done the same thing, that's still a business that has to make money.

I used to work at 4th and Wood, and I have been the victim of racial bias in that same McDonald's. True story. Long story.

Sent from my [device_name] using Steeler Nation mobile app

That sucks, but why would I be surprised. I've heard this city is considered extremely racist. Maybe it's me being naive or just oblivious, but I've never seen it, or I close my eyes to it. Not sure, could be all of them I suppose. My office is on 6th. No excuse for that no matter where it takes place. If you ever want a coffee, come to 6th and Wood - I'll be there.

Good Lord if I could get the fundamentals of reading - I originally misread your post. Regardless, the people who work there are great, but some of the customers suck. I'd like to think I'm not one of them.

Last edited: