• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Starbucks protests in Philadelphia

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Starbucks to close all company-owned stores in U.S. on afternoon of May 29 to conduct racial-bias education <a href="https://t.co/JmyNzEdTgq">pic.twitter.com/JmyNzEdTgq</a></p>— Reuters Business (@ReutersBiz) <a href="https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/status/986300629017595909?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 17, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">BREAKING: Starbucks to close all company-owned stores in U.S. on afternoon of May 29 to conduct racial-bias education <a href="https://t.co/JmyNzEdTgq">pic.twitter.com/JmyNzEdTgq</a></p>— Reuters Business (@ReutersBiz) <a href="https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/status/986300629017595909?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 17, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So effing stupid. Over the individual actions of one person. Good lord.

Ordering black coffee or white milk will be safe until then. Hooray!!

Well, that will solve everything. PR stunt and nothing more. Gotta keep selling that "coffee."

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/anonymous-mailbag-46/

“Heard your take on the Starbucks thing yesterday on your Periscope. Something that has been overlooked: As you mentioned, we’ve all been in the situation where we or our kids need a bathroom, usually quite urgently. So that’s allegedly the deal with these two guys. They are told you can’t use the restroom unless you’re paying customers. Speaking for myself, if I need to take a desperate whiz I’m either going to buy something or go to another place. What’s not going to happen is I go to Starbucks, ask to use the restroom because I have to go really bad, then when they tell me no I’m going to sit around for an hour holding myself. No way. Something fishy about this. But since Starbucks is a bunch of pearl clutching progressive snowflake *******, I hope they get their ***** kicked.”

Yeah, this story doesn’t make sense at all.

I have been in a ton of establishments over the years where an employee has told me you need to buy something to use the bathroom. (That’s when the bathroom door is locked and you can’t just walk in and use it first, which is very common in big cities or, interestingly, ****** Southern gas stations.) I’ve also been in these situations with one of my kids, where they have to use the bathroom and you’re just hoping they don’t pee all over themselves while you’re waiting for the key or the key code to use the bathroom.

Do you know what I’ve done in every single one of these situations when I was told that the bathrooms were for customers only?

BOUGHT SOMETHING SO I COULD USE THE BATHROOM.

(I have also pulled over on the side of the road a ton of times when this situation has happened on long trips, yanked open the door, and let my boys pee out on the side of the road while other cars are driving by and the kids are spouting off like firehoses so, admittedly, I may not be the most normal person out here. I’ve also said, without fail, something like this after each of these emergency urination stops. “Kid’s got a good stream going, strong pipes. Good genes. Bodes well for the future.” And my wife just rolls her eyes.)

My point is this if you really have to use the bathroom — or your kid does — paying a couple of bucks to buy something you don’t want is a small price to pay to use the bathroom.
Have you ever set down for good poop or pee — when you’ve just rushed into the bathroom and had to go badly — and not thought, “By God, this feels so good I would have paid $20 for this.”

So why would this guy have to use the bathroom and then choose to just sit there and piss or poop his pants rather than buy something and use the bathroom? It’s a good question. And then on top of this he goes to jail? If you really had to pee or poop would you risk peeing or pooping all over yourself in the back of a patrol car on your way to jail?

That’s why this feels like a set-up to me. Like they might have known exactly how this manager would react and they wanted to set up a viral phenomenon to force Starbucks to end up paying them millions of dollars to make the story go away. Maybe the manager was racist and hated black people and his employees knew and they set him or her up. (Do we know anything about this manager at all?)

Because while I understand saying that restrooms were for paying customers — which is a rule that really exists in big cities to keep homeless people from using the bathrooms all day long — I also don’t understand why you would call the police over this situation if you managed the Starbucks. There had to be something else going on here, right?

But even considering all of that, who chooses to go to jail — WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM — instead of leaving a business when you’ve been asked three times to leave? The only way this makes sense to me is if getting arrested was all a part of the plan to extort Starbucks.

And don’t even get me started on the fact that this entire scene was filmed too.

I’m just not buying it.

What it's really going to boil down to is how long they waited. And if they were rude to the staff. Were they there for 45 minutes taking up a table without ordering, and then got pissy when they were asked to buy something? That is what we have to know before we can render judgment one way the other. My father ran a restaurant for close to 30 years, and sometimes you have to ask people to order or leave so you can free up the table for customers. Sometimes during your peak hours you have to ask people who have finished their meal to settle up and leave because you need the table for other customers. If that was the situation here it's definitely something we need to know.

Melissa DePino (the lady that witnessed and recorded the whole ordeal) addressed this already in several interviews. She stated the men never got belligerent, disrespectful or loud. They stated they were waiting for a friend/client (they were real estate agents). Miss DePino says the most frustrating aspect of her publicizing the video is exactly what youre doing....questioning the legitimacy of it all and saying there has to be more to the story.

But is it necessary to arrest and cuff those men to remove them ?

how long did the video last?
she recorded it from beginning to end, right? why would she randomly just start recording something like that?
and both these dudes had to pee. they couldnt possibly have went somewhere else, nor could they have taken turns going somewhere else. why couldn't they wait in the parking lot in their cars, if they were not being customers? or even outside?

how long did the video last?
she recorded it from beginning to end, right? why would she randomly just start recording something like that?
and both these dudes had to pee. they couldnt possibly have went somewhere else, nor could they have taken turns going somewhere else. why couldn't they wait in the parking lot in their cars, if they were not being customers? or even outside?

Why are you mining for excuses for the bullshit ? Seems youre trying to rationalize it.... I mean, can you not understand that racism is part of the American culture and folks do oftentimes get treated differently based on melanin content ?

Would you care to know that other folks have done the exact same thing as these two, in that same establishment and weren't asked to purchase or leave nor were they met by officers and led out in handcuffs. But I guess with some Americans that's how you must treat negroes....be aggressive with them, treat them as the dangerous specimens they are and take no chances, right ?

Fuckoutta here....

Well, that will solve everything. PR stunt and nothing more.

'Bias training’ means you can sleep in starbucks all day long now...lol

It's going to be fun when “homeless” discover they can camp out in a Starbucks and not be forced to leave for not buying anything!

hahahaha

Why are you mining for excuses for the bullshit ? Seems youre trying to rationalize it.... I mean, can you not understand that racism is part of the American culture and folks do oftentimes get treated differently based on melanin content ?

Would you care to know that other folks have done the exact same thing as these two, in that same establishment and weren't asked to purchase or leave nor were they met by officers and led out in handcuffs. But I guess with some Americans that's how you must treat negroes....be aggressive with them, treat them as the dangerous specimens they are and take no chances, right ?

Fuckoutta here....

nah, son. they were arrested for not dispersing as directed to by a police officer. they were not arrested for being black. they were not arrested for being black in Starbucks. they were not arrested for being black in Starbucks in Philadelphia.

the guys were released, and here we are a few days later and neither of these guys have come forward to tell their side.

and, no, i don't "care to know that other folks have done the exact same thing as these two, in that same establishment and weren't asked to purchase or leave nor were they met by officers and led out in handcuffs." store policies change. maybe there was a reason they were asked to leave. we've not heard that reason. we do know the manager who asked them to leave has been fired.

regardless, you gonna sit your *** there in the store and wait an hour for someone while you have to pee? seriously?

nah, you fuckoutta here....

'Bias training’ means you can sleep in starbucks all day long now...lol

It's going to be fun when “homeless” discover they can camp out in a Starbucks and not be forced to leave for not buying anything!

hahahaha

Even their coffee won't be able to cover up that smell.

So effing stupid. Over the individual actions of one person. Good lord.

Back in my Navy Reserve days we had to have an all hands-on-deck meeting because of what happened at the Tailhook ****-up. Not one of us involved, and I'd be 99.9% of the people who sat through it knew better than to do what was done. Same **** any time anyone anywhere ****** up.

How many members of the GOP are reticent constituents of the KKK today ?

None that we know of. Your kind, of course, speculates constantly. What we KNOW for facts is that the Democrats stood behind a guy they knew was a KKK member.

thems the perks of being in the 1% class, though.
not all of us can afford new BMWs just because we have to pee.

Fuckoutta here....

Asking questions does not = mining for excuses. It is asking questions to get facts upon which to base your opining rather than jumping to an immediate conclusion.

If you see a video of a guy getting wailed upon by another guy, would you automatically assume the guy getting beaten up was a victim? Or would you want to know what lead up to that?

"What started the beating?" ought to be important. Obviously, to you, the race of the people involved matters rather than any actual facts, but, for the sake of argument, assume the two guys are the same color (or identify as such).

There is nothing wrong with a policy that you have to buy something to use the bathroom. Calling 911 because someone violates that policy is where I have a problem. If they were causing a disturbance or pissing on the floor or stealing stuff it's understandable. Otherwise, it's way over the top. If they said to me "I'm waiting for a friend", ok that's kind of annoying but not something to call the police over. Did she even warn them first? I'm pretty sure if she said leave or I'm calling the cops they would have. No need to go to such extreme measures.

Can I still order a black coffee at Starbucks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

There is nothing wrong with a policy that you have to buy something to use the bathroom. Calling 911 because someone violates that policy is where I have a problem. If they were causing a disturbance or pissing on the floor or stealing stuff it's understandable. Otherwise, it's way over the top. If they said to me "I'm waiting for a friend", ok that's kind of annoying but not something to call the police over. Did she even warn them first? I'm pretty sure if she said leave or I'm calling the cops they would have. No need to go to such extreme measures.

It, certainly, seems odd, which is why it would be a good idea to hear/see the whole thing play out.

Things like looking at that person's social media to see if they say racist things. What if she frequently volunteers at places that help minority and underprivileged people? Wouldn't it seem likely that race wasn't involved in her decision? If she has swastika or "88" tattoos, it would seem likely that race was involved.

What was said before the woman started recording? Blitz says that the recording woman said nothing untoward happened, but maybe she didn't hear or see anything until it escalated?

Best just to jump to conclusions first, then find out what might have happened. If you are wrong, never apologize.

Best just to jump to conclusions first, then find out what might have happened. If you are wrong, never apologize.

absolutely the best line to ever come from this here website.

nah, son. they were arrested for not dispersing as directed to by a police officer. they were not arrested for being black. they were not arrested for being black in Starbucks. they were not arrested for being black in Starbucks in Philadelphia.

the guys were released, and here we are a few days later and neither of these guys have come forward to tell their side.

and, no, i don't "care to know that other folks have done the exact same thing as these two, in that same establishment and weren't asked to purchase or leave nor were they met by officers and led out in handcuffs." store policies change. maybe there was a reason they were asked to leave. we've not heard that reason. we do know the manager who asked them to leave has been fired.

regardless, you gonna sit your *** there in the store and wait an hour for someone while you have to pee? seriously?

nah, you fuckoutta here....

Nobody said they were "arrested for being black"....I said racism does exist in America and folks do get treated differently based on skin color. You wish to pretend like it doesn't.
If this establishment made it common practice or policy to have patrons removed that weren't purchasing then id not offer any argument. The fact that other WHITE PATRONS that frequented THIS particular Starbucks stated that they done equally as much as these black gentlemen and were never asked to leave nor were cops called.

And why should they immediately come forward to tell their side....perhaps they've lawyered up and wish to have legal representation speak to the necessary parties on their behalf..

Bottom line..you see what you see....its biased so ill accept you have lack of empathy for **** you never experience yourself.

But I see you still don't have a grasp of the story...let me help you out...

1) company policy The Starbucks official acknowledged that the incident is at odds with a common practice at Starbucks. The stores are “community” hubs, the official said, where people often drop in to use the WiFi or chat with friends without necessarily buying anything." https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nscious-bias-training/?utm_term=.1c6c98629f0c

2) selective in enforcement -"... said another woman had entered the Starbucks minutes before the men were arrested and was given the bathroom code without having to buy anything and that another person in the restaurant at the time of the incident "announced that she had been sitting at Starbucks for the past couple of hours without buying anything." http://abc13.com/what-a-witness-says-happened-during-phila-starbucks-arrests/3342444/