• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

starting QB next week?

Fields… just his running alone makes us a better team. The offense is weak regardless of who the qb throwing the ball is. Fields running makes the offense less predictable. If he gets hurt you bring a better throwing qb. Win win!! GoSteelers!!

Its vs Denver... barring a crippling setback Russ is gonna play. Fields starting when Wilson is healthy remains a media pipe dream... the guy eeked out 150 yards passing and no tds... it was the Kenny Pickett/2019 Mason Rudolph playbook with extra rushing... they dont trust fields as a passer yet.

This is what I said to my sons. Russ was promised job. Fields played well today. If he put up 400 total combined yards of passing and running and engineered three TD drives. Pretty tough to move back. As it is they start Russ but he has about a two game leash.

Fields did not really do anything more than look like an average BACKUP QB. There is no way he starts at this point unless Wilson gets hurt or absolutely blows chunks for a few games. Fields gets named QB1, Wilson will be done for the season.

This is what I said to my sons. Russ was promised job. Fields played well today. If he put up 400 total combined yards of passing and running and engineered three TD drives. Pretty tough to move back. As it is they start Russ but he has about a two game leash.

Russ just doesnt have to be terrible... if he actually leads them to touchdowns, spreads the ball around, and doesnt throw picks he will be the starter

Promised? What is that? Will Wilson get all upset and ask to be traded if they stay with Fields? Fields legs adds a different dimension to our offense. As mentioned already....if Fields struggles then bring Wilson. Use Wilson as the mentor.

That said if Wilson is all healthy we all know Tomlin will start him.

If you are going to start Fields over a healthy Wilson, you might as well trade Wilson.
Why? He is a cheap vet capable starting back up. And should help mentor Fields moving forward.

If Wilson can go, I would absolutely put him in. Just to see what he can do with this offense.

Get it over with now. If he sucks then ride out with Fields. Both guys are in audition mode for their next contract.

Wilson has yet to play a meaningful down for the Steelers. That tiny sample in preseason doesn't count.

I personally think they'll need to draft a qb next year, but I'm not 100% sold on it just yet.

I want whoever can lead us to a W. We haven't seen anything from Wilson yet. We really have no idea what he can do. Fields did OK and got a W, which for him has been few and far between early in his career. Wilson is a stop gap QB. His much older than Burrows and appears to have the same injury to his calf. Burrows is much better as well. He missed a bunch of games last year. I'd be surprised if Wilson is back this week. Again, with his age, he won't heal as quickly as Burrows. He even said when he did get in at the end of the preseason that he was babying the calf muscle. He wasn't healthy then and now has suffered a set back. Reinjury for him is through the roof right now.

I would announce Wilson as the likely starter and then have Fields run the first series because Denver will gameplan for Russ; script 15 plays for each QB and use whichever works.

I would announce Wilson as the likely starter and then have Fields run the first series because Denver will gameplan for Russ; script 15 plays for each QB and use whichever works.
Was thinking a similar strategy but reversed.

If Russ has any pain in calf keep him on injury report, strut the court jester out there for his presser babbling about taking it day by day and we’ll see type of crap so they prepare for Fields.
Keep giving Fields the majority of reps in practice (he needs em and rest up Russ he needs it).

Come game day start Russ if he’s ready and have a few packages for Fields should Russ struggle to control the football. If Russ ain’t ready you’ve at least better prepared Fields.

I do want to see what Russ has if he’s ready tho because TDs are essential in the NFL. Can’t squeeze 6-7 FGs outta Boz every week. Though in Denver he might make a 65-70 yarder with the wind at his back.

If you can get a game out of Russ then that positions them in a spot to better make a decision as to who the QB1 should be moving forward.

Fields… just his running alone makes us a better team. The offense is weak regardless of who the qb throwing the ball is. Fields running makes the offense less predictable. If he gets hurt you bring a better throwing qb. Win win!! GoSteelers!!
Wilson can run too, not like Fields, but he isn’t Kent Graham back there. I’d like to see what Wilson can do if he’s healthy. Fields didn’t really spread the ball around, seemed like the vast majority of his downfield passes targeted Pickens,

Not sure it's really going to matter much as neither guy is going to throw in the middle of the field. It should be clear now that Tomlin dictates the pace and philosophy of offense to a large degree. Smith and QBs are told "Don't kill us."

Looking back on it, it seems now that the Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown falling out over the interception in the middle of the field in the end zone also changed Tomlin.

This made me smile.
The comments made in this thread lauding Fields running ability....

"Fields legs adds a different dimension to our offense"
"Wilson can run too, not like Fields"
"If he put up 400 total combined yards of passing and running"
"Fields. He runs the way Tomlin likes. "

We are praising the same thing we criticize Lamar Jackson for!

Russ can wait another week, or until Fields falls apart.

If the calf is ready, give the ball to Russ. Fields showed nothing that said elite. He missed opened receivers and some easy swing passes to Najee. His deep ball was nice but they avoided taking shots. They also severely neglected the middle of the field. Way too many check downs.

Wilson if he’s healthy.
He’ll want to beat his old team.
Also remember that the offense with Fields scored exactly zero TD’s.

If Wilson can go, I would absolutely put him in. Just to see what he can do with this offense.

Get it over with now. If he sucks then ride out with Fields. Both guys are in audition mode for their next contract.

Wilson has yet to play a meaningful down for the Steelers. That tiny sample in preseason doesn't count.

I personally think they'll need to draft a qb next year, but I'm not 100% sold on it just yet.

This, this is the best to my thoughts as well.

My common sense as to coaching staff and decision is if Russ is good to go, he will be the starter.

My gut approach would be to start young Justin and continue his development. Speed of the game with proper mentorship and play calls designed for his type of play.

Salute the nation

Make sure Russ is healthy before you bring him in. I am glad they gave Warren a limited snap count yesterday, health should be the #1 priority especially now.
After watching the Denver game yesterday Russ had zero help in Denver, receivers are total trash.