• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

starting QB next week?

Its vs Denver... barring a crippling setback Russ is gonna play. Fields starting when Wilson is healthy remains a media pipe dream... the guy eeked out 150 yards passing and no tds... it was the Kenny Pickett/2019 Mason Rudolph playbook with extra rushing... they dont trust fields as a passer yet.
I watched about 5 videos on You Tube discussing this. What no one mentions when they discuss the upside to Fields and that he looked "OK" and you go with "the hot hand" is that the defense kept the game low scoring and got the ball back a few times. I mean imagine if Fields had to carry the team to a comeback and score a TD or two. People are enamored right now because he made few mistakes. Yeah that's great, but against a better opponent that's not going to get it done. I'm going with the SB champion, 9x Pro Bowler a proven commodity. With Wilson we know what we have and what he can do. Yeah he's not the guy of 7 or 8 years ago but he has still put up good numbers, even last year.

Smith got a measure of revenge against his old team. Russ, if healthy, should get that opportunity against the donks. Besides, as already pointed out, Fields couldn't put TDs on the board... let Russ try.

It will be Russ if he isn’t to crippled. It has to be, Fields doesn’t have the talent to run an NFL offense.

I watched about 5 videos on You Tube discussing this. What no one mentions when they discuss the upside to Fields and that he looked "OK" and you go with "the hot hand" is that the defense kept the game low scoring and got the ball back a few times. I mean imagine if Fields had to carry the team to a comeback and score a TD or two. People are enamored right now because he made few mistakes. Yeah that's great, but against a better opponent that's not going to get it done. I'm going with the SB champion, 9x Pro Bowler a proven commodity. With Wilson we know what we have and what he can do. Yeah he's not the guy of 7 or 8 years ago but he has still put up good numbers, even last year.
You are talking hypotheticals....what if Wilson **** the bed? Fumbled 3 times.....threw 4 ints?

Also......when was the last game Wilson played in? Denver sat him for the last quarter or so of the season last year. He took a handful of snaps in our preseason. We might have to go a few weeks for Wilson to shake all of his rust off of his 35 yo body.
Everyone should go watch the youtube clip of Brandon marshall's podcast where Russell explains how it went down in Denver behind the scenes.
Eye opening to say the least.
Basically the Broncos sat him because he refused to remove the injury clause from his huge contract, not due to his on field performance. Illegal and dirty dirty move by Denver.
Peyton and Denver both did him dirty and tried to paint him the villan.
I was surprised when he mentioned they went on a 5 game win streak that included The Bills and Chiefs.

Long story short, made me want to root for Russ this year.

The other thing is that it was in a dome, and three of the scoring drives were 50+ field goals... the whole game is one of those neutral narrative games where anyone can see what they want to see, good or bad... its impossible to make any definitive statements from that game..

Everyone should go watch the youtube clip of Brandon marshall's podcast where Russell explains how it went down in Denver behind the scenes.
Eye opening to say the least.
Basically the Broncos sat him because he refused to remove the injury clause from his huge contract, not due to his on field performance. Illegal and dirty dirty move by Denver.
Peyton and Denver both did him dirty and tried to paint him the villan.
I was surprised when he mentioned they went on a 5 game win streak that included The Bills and Chiefs.

Long story short, made me want to root for Russ this year.
I thought that was common knowledge the reason they sat was because they didn't want getting hurt. Football is a business unfortunately.

I thought that was common knowledge the reason they sat was because they didn't want getting hurt. Football is a business unfortunately.
I didnt know they were dirty enough to try to strongarm him into changing his contract. I wrongly assumed it had more to do with his level of play.

You are talking hypotheticals....what if Wilson **** the bed? Fumbled 3 times.....threw 4 ints?
As Moats says here at 15:25 " When have we not see him do that" referring to Russ and his game and how he has always produced where Fields is still an unknown. You're right anything could happen Wilson could be total dog poo, but that's not what his history shows. Even in Denver. The main difference is putting the ball in the end zone which Russ has proven he's very good at, and Fields has not shown that so much.

The meat of the QB comparision and discussion starts at the 10:00 minute mark but the whole video is worth watching.

I would give Wilson a shot if healthy. But here’s the thing. Khan and Tomlin have decided that we aren’t gonna win a championship this year. So they are going to give Fields a long hard look to see what 25 year old QB can do. If he improves then maybe we resign him. If he doesn’t we turn to Wilson and draft someone.

I would give Wilson a shot if healthy. But here’s the thing. Khan and Tomlin have decided that we aren’t gonna win a championship this year. So they are going to give Fields a long hard look to see what 25 year old QB can do. If he improves then maybe we resign him. If he doesn’t we turn to Wilson and draft someone.
how do you know they have decided that they are not going to win a championship? just curious

how do you know they have decided that they are not going to win a championship? just curious
Because they didn’t start Wilson. He is the best QB on the roster by far. But is on a decline in ability. Fields tho still has a future and upside.

Because they didn’t start Wilson. He is the best QB on the roster by far. But is on a decline in ability. Fields tho still has a future and upside.

What makes you think they gave up on the plan week 1 and it was not just precaution for losing Wilson long term?

Wilson has a calf issue which is an injury, which is the reason he didn’t start.

What makes you think they gave up on the plan week 1 and it was not just precaution for losing Wilson long term?
Because he was fully suited on the sidelines and was able to play if Fields would have been injured.

It’s a calf strain not an MCL. They want to see what Fields can do. I get it. Kenny set them back 5 years and that’s if a drafted QB ends up becoming good. If they can somehow get Fields to play up to his physical potential then that is a complete game changer.

Wilson is a known commodity. But he’s not winning a Super Bowl with this team. He might be able to win us a playoff game. But that is about it.

Because he was fully suited on the sidelines and was able to play if Fields would have been injured.

It’s a calf strain not an MCL. They want to see what Fields can do. I get it. Kenny set them back 5 years and that’s if a drafted QB ends up becoming good. If they can somehow get Fields to play up to his physical potential then that is a complete game changer.

Wilson is a known commodity. But he’s not winning a Super Bowl with this team. He might be able to win us a playoff game. But that is about it.
He was suited because he was the 3rd string emergency QB. Looks to me like they did not want to take a chance that he hurts himself even more. make sure he is healed.

As Moats says here at 15:25 " When have we not see him do that" referring to Russ and his game and how he has always produced where Fields is still an unknown. You're right anything could happen Wilson could be total dog poo, but that's not what his history shows. Even in Denver. The main difference is putting the ball in the end zone which Russ has proven he's very good at, and Fields has not shown that so much.

The meat of the QB comparision and discussion starts at the 10:00 minute mark but the whole video is worth watching.

Plays have to be called that allow your QB to put the ball into the EZ. Maybe they will let Wilson actually throw the football into the EZ. Not something we get from our play calling since Ben was here. The coaching staff is afraid of the dreaded TO. So they run low risk plays. Maybe if Wilson is in there they open every up a bit in the passing game.

I would give Wilson a shot if healthy. But here’s the thing. Khan and Tomlin have decided that we aren’t gonna win a championship this year.
If this doesn’t make your BS meter ping

I’m sure they never sat down and had that convo

Absolutely BS…I’ve said it, you may have said it as well as the majority here…those two never had that convo tho

He was suited because he was the 3rd string emergency QB. Looks to me like they did not want to take a chance that he hurts himself even more. make sure he is healed.
So he could have played. I mean Russ seems to think he could have played. But hey take what the Steelers say at face value. That’s your prerogative. I personally just feel we don’t have a QB signed past 2024 and the Steelers are going to get a long hard look at Fields before making a decision on drafting a QB or resigning Fields.

The long hard look at Fields will continue if Tomlin is to be believed as he stated Fields will start vs Donkeys
Is this just a ploy? Doubt it...kid has pedigree and helps make the run game go
Until the OL is settled and absolutely ready, Fields starts losing and/or OldeRuss is 100 looks like Fields is the guy

Fields is going to have to orchestrate some TD drives and hit some WRs not named Pickens downfield before I think he should get the nod over a healthy Wilson.

Nice find and thanks for posting

Salute the nation

This has to be them having a look at fields. If russ is a go, he should start . Fields has shown nothing so far except to do a good Kenny picket impression.