• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

starting QB next week?

IF healthy it is Wilson all the way. Fields showed exactly why he isn't ready. Sure, he can run and make some throws on the move, but he is almost totally incapable of simply dropping back making a quick read and throwing the ball at this point. You would have to totally change the offense to resemble what Baltimore has run and we see how far that has taken them in the playoffs. Until fields can drop back and get the pass off accurately in a 3 second count consistently, he isn't the guy. If he learns to throw timing routes make reads and run a proper screen play, great but until then he will be a limited QB with easily exploitable weaknesses against good teams.

Wilson if he’s healthy.
He’ll want to beat his old team.
Also remember that the offense with Fields scored exactly zero TD’s.
Ben got crucified in some quarters for winning a playoff game with six field goals and Fields doing it against the Falcons is a sure sign happy days could be here again lol.

Fields. He runs the way Tomlin likes. This is tomlinball. Run clock. He is the hot hand right now.

If Faileds is the hot hand, I'd hate to see cold. And if he plays the way that Tomlin likes, that would encourage me want to go with Russell Willow.

Fields did not really do anything more than look like an average BACKUP QB. There is no way he starts at this point unless Wilson gets hurt or absolutely blows chunks for a few games. Fields gets named QB1, Wilson will be done for the season.
Fields had a 91.9 passer rating yesterday, plus he ran for 57 yards. And if the refs don't steal 38 yards from him on that bullshit PI call on Pickens, his stat line reads: 18-24 for 194 yards. That's a rating of 98.3, and those numbers look better than those of "an average BACKUP QB" to me. I'll take 250+ total yards every day of the week from a quarterback in this offense.

Tomlin will no doubt put Russ in against Denver, for the sole reason that it's Wilson's former team. I would stick with Fields, myself.

Fields had a 91.9 passer rating yesterday, plus he ran for 57 yards. And if the refs don't steal 38 yards from him on that bullshit PI call on Pickens, his stat line reads: 18-24 for 194 yards. That's a rating of 98.3, and those numbers look better than those of "an average BACKUP QB" to me. I'll take 250+ total yards every day of the week from a quarterback in this offense.

Tomlin will no doubt put Russ in against Denver, for the sole reason that it's Wilson's former team. I would stick with Fields, myself.
Also......when was the last game Wilson played in? Denver sat him for the last quarter or so of the season last year. He took a handful of snaps in our preseason. We might have to go a few weeks for Wilson to shake all of his rust off of his 35 yo body.

I'd be surprised if Wilson plays this week. If he does, he won't be near 100%, he will be rusty, and his chances of reinjury or worsening what he has now will be very high.

Also......when was the last game Wilson played in? Denver sat him for the last quarter or so of the season last year. He took a handful of snaps in our preseason. We might have to go a few weeks for Wilson to shake all of his rust off of his 35 yo body.
Very solid take. Goes along with my thought process of whoever has the best practice for the week gets the green light. If Wilson can’t practice he shouldn’t get to start.

I'd be surprised if Wilson plays this week. If he does, he won't be near 100%, he will be rusty, and his chances of reinjury or worsening what he has now will be very high.
Depending on his calf... he might be a statue in the pocket. We will see I guess. Hopefully if he starts he is a 100% healthy go.

I anticipate it'll be Wilson, but he needs to be 100%. I don't want to see going back and forth between QBs because of injuries.

Promised? What is that? Will Wilson get all upset and ask to be traded if they stay with Fields? Fields legs adds a different dimension to our offense. As mentioned already....if Fields struggles then bring Wilson. Use Wilson as the mentor.

That said if Wilson is all healthy we all know Tomlin will start him.
I think he signed the contract under the condition he starts. Now like I said Fields throws 275, 2 Tds and runs for 80. There are limits to promises. At this point anyone is just speculating Fields is better so he is going to honor what he said.

You stick with Fields. Russ isn’t the long term answer but Fields could be. We have to find out if he can be or not. Some people are acting like Fields played badly. That’s insane. He had a very good game and didn’t turn the ball over. Open the playbook slightly more for him this week and let’s see what happens.

I think he signed the contract under the condition he starts. Now like I said Fields throws 275, 2 Tds and runs for 80. There are limits to promises. At this point anyone is just speculating Fields is better so he is going to honor what he said.
I just am at arms how it unfolded. I think it may of been a promise to begin in the pole position and not elaborated beyond that. But knowing how he handled Harrison anything is possible.

Regardless I knew there was a potential for conflict having two QBs who were coming off starts. I hope this doesn’t metastasize into a problem.

It's already a problem. Russ was pouting the whole game.

I was told here on the site that there is no such thing in the NFL as a promise.

You stick with Fields. Russ isn’t the long term answer but Fields could be. We have to find out if he can be or not. Some people are acting like Fields played badly. That’s insane. He had a very good game and didn’t turn the ball over. Open the playbook slightly more for him this week and let’s see what happens.
Exactly

Unless you honestly believe the Steelers are legit SB contenders this year sticking with Fields seems to be the better play as he could improve at this stage of his career making him a potential answer to the QB void.
If you think Russ is leading the Steelers to the SB/promised land, then stick him in there the moment he if FULLY healthy.

If the D kicks out a few more performances like last week even KFP could stack some wins and if this team is going anywhere, it will be on the back of the defense.

I did not see that. I saw him cheering people on. Talking to players. Basically looking like a leader
I read somewhere(forget which beat writer) that they felt Wilson was upset with the fact he wasn't starting. Understandable if true. Wilson probably thought he could play. And probably could have. Tomlin probably just wants to nip this calf thing in the butt now.

I read somewhere(forget which beat writer) that they felt Wilson was upset with the fact he wasn't starting. Understandable if true. Wilson probably thought he could play. And probably could have. Tomlin probably just wants to nip this calf thing in the butt now.
Yeah I can’t blame him for not wanting to be a season long issue. We need consistency at the position.

Putting a gimpy old man behind an untested young OL missing its best player would have been questionable at best.
Mike made a solid decision for the long-term prospects of the team.

And the young OL responded...win-win

I got a bad feeling that Tomlin is going to screw up the quarterback situation. He’s done it before.