• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steeler Nation War Room NFL Draft: Day Two!

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Yay, we're actually going to pick somebody today!!

I updated Ford's big board. Click Here! Everyone taken I removed the color coding.

I also have been following along with our top 115 from Matt and CJ, our draft writers for the site. Click here to see the updated slotting of talent and who is left.

Also we still have the draft needs sheet by Litos. Click here to view

I'm going to run a video on Twitter and FB Live right before the draft. I'll embed it here after it rolls. Also planning to go live right before we pick, to capture the excitement. Can't wait!

GO STEELERS!!! :towel2:

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsteelernation1933%2Fvideos%2F632888487558586%2F&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="315" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Last edited:
Our turn, finally. Here We Go!

But who do we pick?

Do we go offense and address a skill position at RB or WR?

Do we add depth to our OL?

Do we go big body to replace Hargrave at NT?

Do they look OLB to add more depth behind Dupree and insurance if Watt goes down?

I stay out of the mock business and leave that to the professionals.

After a quick scan, here's my top 10 guys I want:

Tee Higgins
Josh Jones
Denzel Mims
Zack Baun
Michael Pittman Jr.
Ezra Cleveland
Antoine Winfield Jr.
Grant Delpit
Lloyd Cushenberry
Chase Claypool

Yay, we're actually going to pick somebody today!!

I updated Ford's big board. Click Here! Everyone taken I removed the color coding.

I also have been following along with our top 115 from Matt and CJ, our draft writers for the site. Click here to see the updated slotting of talent and who is left.

Also we still have the draft needs sheet by Litos. Click here to view

I'm going to run a video on Twitter and FB Live right before the draft. I'll embed it here after it rolls. Also planning to go live right before we pick, to capture the excitement. Can't wait!

GO STEELERS!!! :towel2:

Ford pretty much nailed all the 1st round

Josh Jones

Looks like he will go in round two as predicted, hopefully not to us.

Trade up to get Taylor. I don't care if it means parting with our very late 3rd round comp pick.

my top 5 of preference
1 Taylor
2 Dobbins
3 Pittman
4 Clevland
5 Hurts

Here are my takeaways from Round 1.

Teams are not taking as many chances. Big name schools and safer choices are going over upside and potential. This could start to break up in round 2 though as teams are more apt to take chances.

The league is now all about WR/CB matchups. Just look at how many CBs were picked and these were not all elite guys. You see most teams now stocking up on WR to spread the field and looking for the CBs to match.

The focus is on man coverage. This is why safeties fell and surprisingly why Edge pass rushers fell. Teams seem to feel edge pass rush is too slow to counter the quick passing schemes. They are instead looking for interior pass rushers and man cover guys.

You even saw the focus on coverage in the LB selections. Even the big tough Ravens took a small cover LB.

Guys I really want in RD 2

Antoine Winfield S Minnesota - this guys is a flat out guarantee. He may not be the star but he can be the dependable guy at S that allows Minkah to move around. Polamalu needed guys like Hope and Clark to be steady so he could do his Superman thing. I also think Winfield could make Edmunds a great nickel safety. I’m not sure Edmunds has the instinct or feel to be a great S. But as a 3rd safety in the box, his athleticism could make him a playmaker.

AJ Epenessa DE Iowa - he’s Cam Heyward. I don’t give a **** if they traded for Wormley. If Epenessa is there, you take him and have great depth and rotation.

Amik Robertson CB La Tech - only 5’9 but tough, smart, and has great ball skills. Have to stockpile CBs since everybody is stockpiling WRs.

Ezra Cleveland OT Boise State - they need a young talent there

Matt Hennessy C Temple - Pouncey may only have a year or 2 left.

Yetur Gross Matos DE Penn State - he’d have to transition to OLB so it’s not a perfect fit but he is such a damn good pass rusher and athletic that if he’s sitting there somehow, you grab him

McKinney S Alabama and Davis S Cal - similar reasoning to Winfield. McKinney is more polished. Davis is a crazy fast athlete

Denzel Mims WR Baylor

There are 2 RB's I would want the Steelers to go after in the 2nd Round if they are still there. First is Johnthan Taylor. He's an incredible RB with good vision, excellent receiver & breakaway speed once he gets the ball. I'm not going to say a Generational Talent but he might be one of the best pure runners to come out of the draft in a long time, If he's gone when the Steelers pick the second guy I like is Cam Akers RB from Florida State. He might not have the breakaway speed that Taylor does but he's a better pass catcher and pass blocker. He doesn't have anywhere near the stats Taylor does but he was the only true talent on offense at Florida State and he was still productive. The rest of the team just flat out sucked! He's the real deal too IMO. We definitely need a RB.....I have no faith in Conner's ability to remain healthy.....love his heart but chemo never stops destroying your body. Benny Snell.....Give ma a friggin break! HE SUCKS! Steelers need a RB to balance out that offense!

If Michael Pittman Jr is there also and the other 2 guys are off the roster I wouldn't mind him either....but I think the Steelers feel they are ok at WR for now.

Last edited:
coach said:
Looks like he will go in round two as predicted, hopefully not to us.

just **** off

every poster here said he was either late first or early 2 round

YOU tried to claim "experts" called him a 3rd round option......

You have not predicted anything that hadn't been posted MANY MANY MANY times before

and No..you will not get an attention ***** thread ********

Last edited:
WR may be the pick if we look at the trends. WR is deep but if they are flying off the board, the steelers may need to get one.

KJ Hamler could check a lot of boxes. He can be a deep threat and a slot WR and a return man. Steelers have not had a good return man in years.

I hope we draft the shortest, slowest, whitest WR available at 2. One who scored so low on every available metric at the combine that he was not only asked to leave, but picked up and tossed out of the facility.

yes, Ark. Ark is who I hope we draft.

Man I love Draft Day!

My #1 is Tee Higgins, WR wise I want height, speed and production with the first pick.

#2 Cushenberry. I want that IOL guy that is a plug and play and can back up center or replace Pouncey if needed

#3 Safety Winfield would be a dream, and a money backer fills 2 holes at ILB, and Safety depth, with possible Slot depth.

OT would be my #4

I can't believe the Edge talent has dropped. That could be in play

It's really fun to try and figure out a team with no real holes to fill. There's a couple spots to upgrade, but this draft is wild, and I'm glad we have the luxury of BPA when we pick, because we're getting a talent!

WR may be the pick if we look at the trends. WR is deep but if they are flying off the board, the steelers may need to get one.

KJ Hamler could check a lot of boxes. He can be a deep threat and a slot WR and a return man. Steelers have not had a good return man in years.

Ummm, DJ was 2nd team All Pro last year...

just **** off

every poster here said he was either late first or early 2 round

YOU tried to claim "experts" called him a 3rd round option......

You have not predicted anything that hadn't been posted MANY MANY MANY times before

and No..you will not get an attention ***** thread ********

Who was he talking about Coolie? Why isn’t he pimping his DT, Hamilton for pick 49?

It’s funny I couldn’t get on the board during the draft as it was probably overloaded, but I saw a “Tag, sign and trade Dupree” topic, then disappeared later after the draft? Coach wasting bandwidth again?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Who was he talking about Coolie? Why isn’t he pimping his DT, Hamilton for pick 49?

It’s funny I couldn’t get on the board during the draft as it was probably overloaded, but I saw a “Tag, sign and trade Dupree” topic, then disappeared later after the draft? Coach wasting bandwidth again?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

He was talking about Josh Jones, I merged his "look at me" thread with this one

the site had some issues last night, but the powers that be say they have fixed them and we should be good to go tonight

Trade up to get Taylor. I don't care if it means parting with our very late 3rd round comp pick.

Either RB should be there when we pick. Now, while I want an OLineman - one of those guys maybe too sweet to pass on...so there's that.