• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers buy or sell# the gauntlet haseth returned.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
(Buy you agree - sell you disagree)

One game in and Canada is history but some football left to be played. Anywho I haven't done one of these in a while let's get to it.

1 Alex Highsmith deserves your upcoming pro bowl vote. - I know people/fans will automatically think TJ and rightfully so but what about Alex?

2 Trenton Thompson just had a sweet looking INT, and has played well overall. He deserves to be rostered and active for the rest of the season.

3. The Steelers will make the playoffs this season. This could easily go either way with knowing their past results. This year yinz will get to see them at least play one playoff game.

5. Steelers should consider trading Chukes and DJ in the off-season. Chukes writing is on the wall, and he will want an opportunity to start again. I think he won't get that opportunity in Pittsburgh. DJ is a mixed bag of peanut.

6. Even with how well Benton, Porter Jr., and Herbig have played it is Broderick that should be in the lead right now for Steelers rookie of the year.

7. No matter how well the fill-in OC and play caller perform the Steelers will hire a new OC in the off-season.

8. Najee and Warren will give the Steelers a fighting chance to win a playoff game provided they make it that far. I dare to weave that tangled web.

9. Tomlin despite his rocky road will be extended even if the Steelers don't make the playoffs.

10. Not only will Kenny ******* ⛏️ stay in Pittsburgh though his first contract, he will eventually be offered a second contract.

Did you run the gauntlet? Grab yourself a complimentary plate of bacon on the way out....

1 Alex Highsmith deserves your upcoming pro bowl vote. - I know people/fans will automatically think TJ and rightfully so but what about Alex?
BUY: Although his sack numbers aren't anywhere near last year's total, he's been playing terrific football and is one of the best EDGE defenders in the entire league. Even when he's not getting to the QB he's setting up other guys to clean up sacks. He won't make the Pro Bowl, but he's borderline for sure.

2 Trenton Thompson just had a sweet looking INT, and has played well overall. He deserves to be rostered and active for the rest of the season.
BUY: When it comes to depth players, go with the hot hand. There's no reason not to.

3. The Steelers will make the playoffs this season. This could easily go either way with knowing their past results. This year yinz will get to see them at least play one playoff game.
BUY: They played the toughest schedule so far in the NFL and will have one of the easiest to finish the year. 7 teams make the playoffs, so I think it would take some significant underachieving to miss the playoffs.

5. Steelers should consider trading Chukes and DJ in the off-season. Chukes writing is on the wall, and he will want an opportunity to start again. I think he won't get that opportunity in Pittsburgh. DJ is a mixed bag of peanut.
BUY: The Chuks contract never made sense, but starting NFL linemen are hard to come by. He'll be valued by some team where he is a better scheme fit. There are so many good college receivers and if you hit on the right one you can get an instant impact. Trade these two and use some of those assets to get a legit No. 1 receiver.

6. Even with how well Benton, Porter Jr., and Herbig have played it is Broderick that should be in the lead right now for Steelers rookie of the year.
BUY: It's a three-way race between Benton, Porter Jr., and Jones. Benton has been doing it all season and won't get much consideration. Porter Jr. will probably win it because of his family ties (the media loves this stuff). Jones has helped completely transform the ground game...what we should've seen from the start of the year. Regardless, those four rookies have a winning attitude and don't back down from competition.

7. No matter how well the fill-in OC and play caller perform the Steelers will hire a new OC in the off-season.
BUY: I don't care if they get 400 yards a game the rest of the season, this team needs a fresh set of eyes and an OC who has higher aspirations of eventually becoming a HC. Keeping the staff status quo would be such a let down.

8. Najee and Warren will give the Steelers a fighting chance to win a playoff game provided they make it that far. I dare to weave that tangled web.
SELL: This team has come up short in the playoffs for way too long. It's going to depend on Pickett's arm in the playoffs, the running backs can only do so much.

9. Tomlin despite his rocky road will be extended even if the Steelers don't make the playoffs.
BUY: Tomlin is here as long as he wants to be. I think a fresh point of view would benefit the team, but a dynamic OC could also inject some enthusiasm as well. Blend the veteran coaching staff with some youth and energy to get some new ideas.

10. Not only will Kenny ******* ⛏️ stay in Pittsburgh though his first contract, he will eventually be offered a second contract.
TOO EARLY: I don't want a Daniel Jones situation. Rookie QB contracts aren't enough to prohibit finding a replacement. I need to see him trending more toward his upper ceiling. What I've seen so far I'd lean toward no, but we have an entire year before worrying about this. He can answer a lot of questions over the stretch run of the year and hopefully playoffs.

I like my bacon crispy.

BUY: Although his sack numbers aren't anywhere near last year's total, he's been playing terrific football and is one of the best EDGE defenders in the entire league. Even when he's not getting to the QB he's setting up other guys to clean up sacks. He won't make the Pro Bowl, but he's borderline for sure.

BUY: When it comes to depth players, go with the hot hand. There's no reason not to.

BUY: They played the toughest schedule so far in the NFL and will have one of the easiest to finish the year. 7 teams make the playoffs, so I think it would take some significant underachieving to miss the playoffs.

BUY: The Chuks contract never made sense, but starting NFL linemen are hard to come by. He'll be valued by some team where he is a better scheme fit. There are so many good college receivers and if you hit on the right one you can get an instant impact. Trade these two and use some of those assets to get a legit No. 1 receiver.

BUY: It's a three-way race between Benton, Porter Jr., and Jones. Benton has been doing it all season and won't get much consideration. Porter Jr. will probably win it because of his family ties (the media loves this stuff). Jones has helped completely transform the ground game...what we should've seen from the start of the year. Regardless, those four rookies have a winning attitude and don't back down from competition.

BUY: I don't care if they get 400 yards a game the rest of the season, this team needs a fresh set of eyes and an OC who has higher aspirations of eventually becoming a HC. Keeping the staff status quo would be such a let down.

SELL: This team has come up short in the playoffs for way too long. It's going to depend on Pickett's arm in the playoffs, the running backs can only do so much.

BUY: Tomlin is here as long as he wants to be. I think a fresh point of view would benefit the team, but a dynamic OC could also inject some enthusiasm as well. Blend the veteran coaching staff with some youth and energy to get some new ideas.

TOO EARLY: I don't want a Daniel Jones situation. Rookie QB contracts aren't enough to prohibit finding a replacement. I need to see him trending more toward his upper ceiling. What I've seen so far I'd lean toward no, but we have an entire year before worrying about this. He can answer a lot of questions over the stretch run of the year and hopefully playoffs.

I like my bacon crispy.
There wasn't a choice for too early. This gauntlet is mission difficult Ethan. That is how we Hunt.😁

Yeah I like the idea of KP being the decide in the playoffs, that would probably answer that last question for us.👊

Buy I don't think he will make it but he deserves it
Buy - we need all the ball hawks we can get
BUy - they will win the remaining regular season games and take the division
BUY on Chukes - Sell on DJ - he is just too talented and at a reasonable price
BUY since he has been inserted at RT the running game has exploded second choice would be JPJ he has been very good
BUY - they need to do a serious search for the next oc and not just promote from within
Buy - by the time the playoffs roll around they will be working together like a well oiled machine and rolling over the opposition
BUY - they will give him a lifetime contract and pay him even after his death
BUY - KP will turn into the next great Steeler QB- he will win multiple SBs and make us all forget about all previous guys at that position (Hopefully)
Did you run the gauntlet? Grab yourself a complimentary plate of bacon on the way out....

who ate all the damn bacon

fucktards

Sell.. in no way is his 2023 campaign pro bowl worthy… though he is a quality player.

Buy. The guy is a playmaker. He will be on the roster the rest of the season

Buy. It’s probably 50/50 but I am hopeful

“giant empty blank space”
Where in the **** is #4… we got ripped off! Some gauntlet!!!

Buy.. last offseason was the premium time to do this… because of the depth of the draft, but some mocks have us getting that other Georgia Tackle in the first… but even if we don’t, Chuks is an expensive backup
DJ has probably tanked his value into a second or early third round pick, but we can get a Wr there that is cheaper… man last years draft was perfect to replace him though.. mims, Dell, Addison… ugh

Sell. JPjr is the play. BJ still has to iron out some passblocking stuff to be ideal

Ugh… um… sell? If they are magnificent then they will stay status quo, but id guess they will still add a offensive play designer to the staff in some fashion.. otherwise if they falter they will just get a standard outside OC

Buy. The offense could get by… the question is will the defense man up against a premium offense and let a running heavy attack even be an option?

Buy. 2026 baby! 200 wins and the all time Steelers wins record… in the regular season,of course… Tomlin Shottenheimer for LIFE!!!
The first part is definitely a buy… straight through the fifth year option Id bet…man that second part is really difficult to say right now..
Ill go the optimistic buy … but if he isn’t much better next year it absolutely won’t happen.

Im eating a bacon cheeseburger right now… it’s delicious because it has Bacon

Now give us number 4!!!! I know you are hiding it somewhere

Sell.. in no way is his 2023 campaign pro bowl worthy… though he is a quality player.

Buy. The guy is a playmaker. He will be on the roster the rest of the season

Buy. It’s probably 50/50 but I am hopeful

Where in the **** is #4… we got ripped off! Some gauntlet!!!

Buy.. last offseason was the premium time to do this… because of the depth of the draft, but some mocks have us getting that other Georgia Tackle in the first… but even if we don’t, Chuks is an expensive backup
DJ has probably tanked his value into a second or early third round pick, but we can get a Wr there that is cheaper… man last years draft was perfect to replace him though.. mims, Dell, Addison… ugh

Sell. JPjr is the play. BJ still has to iron out some passblocking stuff to be ideal

Ugh… um… sell? If they are magnificent then they will stay status quo, but id guess they will still add a offensive play designer to the staff in some fashion.. otherwise if they falter they will just get a standard outside OC

Buy. The offense could get by… the question is will the defense man up against a premium offense and let a running heavy attack even be an option?

Buy. 2026 baby! 200 wins and the all time Steelers wins record… in the regular season,of course… Tomlin Shottenheimer for LIFE!!!

The first part is definitely a buy… straight through the fifth year option Id bet…man that second part is really difficult to say right now..
Ill go the optimistic buy … but if he isn’t much better next year it absolutely won’t happen.

Im eating a bacon cheeseburger right now… it’s delicious because it has Bacon

Now give us number 4!!!! I know you are hiding it somewhere
I was waiting to see if someone caught that bravo 👏

4 you to see that you had to be paying attention.

4 hundred yards on offense will happen again Sunday.

In the world of a demented Steelers fan that is referred to as 4 play.

Pick up your extra ration of bacon on your way out.

One game in and Canada is history but some football left to be played. Anywho I haven't done one of these in a while let's get to it.
BUY

BUY, Alex is a STEELERS player playing on a top 6 defense and is integral to that point.

BUY, who else we got? Not taking anything away from him, but his energy was felt.

BUY. Don’t be surprised if the last game of the season is for the division title.

Buy on Chuks, SELL on DJ, is growing, Coach Tomlin, but better yet…. The new OC needs to reel that in. With the old OC, nothing was happening and players weren’t held accountable, with t current and new OC, they need to dig the players and hold them accountable.

Buy / Buy / Buy / Buy all four have a great shot at that, but JPJ is actually in the runnings for DROY in the NFL.

SELL. I think we all know coach Tomlin an d his merry go lucky ways when it come to hiring. MOST here (including myself) want outside organization help. This team has the granolas to win and schedule to assist in that endeavor. Enough wins / posture, Coach Tomlin will not want change.

Don’t forget just how bad and how much the EX-OC held this team back, in all aspects.

BUY. By that point, the offense will be better rounded and the play action / pass plays will be an effective part of the “O”. Najee and Warren will be the big part that makes it all work.

SELL. I’m pretty sure you are right, but I think the play-off draught is a real concern partly due to the mid-season firing of the OC. That was serious **** executed by this Franchise. HOT seat

I think he will get a 2nd contract. I also think he will rate out top 14 in the league (Not this year as there is to much ground to make up)

BUY, and did it while naked, except real fast tennis shoes and crew socks. I was also carrying Christmas decorations to put up And took the whole plate of BACON for three reasons

1). There was ONLY 3 pieces on the plate, that’s barely a bite and who the **** offers bBACON and doesn’t have enough made.

2). The plate, oddly enough, match my kitchen plate set………. So I nabbed it Suck-A

3). BLITZ, it wasn’t peppered BACON so I saved yaz the dread of having to eat the sub-par BACON.

Salute the nation

Sell: He was a Pro Bowler last year, with the 2nd best sack numbers in the AFC and led the league in FFs and still didn't make it. OLBs make PBs because of Sacks. If he missed it last year, no chance he gets in this year.
Buy: We lost 2 rostered Safeties Minkah on IR and Neal on IR lost for the year. He earned Neal's spot when Minkah comes back. Sorry, Minkah wasn't IRed and is still rostered, so he has Neal's spot outright.
Buy, with this revamped O and 5 very winnable games before Baltimore, this can make for a very interesting end of season run, where we my have a shot at the 1 seed. Crazy!
Dumping Chukes saves nearly $9M. I'd like to trade him, but dumping him is just as good to get rid of that salary cap. DJ is not being traded. The O goes through him, and doesn't work without him. How quickly we forgot how enemic this O was when he went on IR for 4 weeks. Plus he's actually given us a home down discount on his 2nd contract and is earning less money next year than this year $15.8M cap hit. That is dirt cheap for a vet WR that are now going for $20-$25M per year.
Toss up between JPJ and Benton, right now my money is on JPJ who is now taking away the opposing team's top WR.
I am hoping the Steelers sign a new OC next year, barring a SB win.
Buy, if they are both healthy, I pity the opposing team's run D. Not even Cleveland could keep us under 150yds rushing!
Buy: He should be. Tomlin for life!
He's a first rounder, so that decision doesn't need to be made for another year. Next year is year 3 and he is rostered. Year 4 we have to decide on his 5th year option and that will give the Steelers time to decide whether he is the franchise or plays out his contract.
See above!

I was waiting to see if someone caught that bravo 👏

4 you to see that you had to be paying attention.

4 hundred yards on offense will happen again Sunday.

In the world of a demented Steelers fan that is referred to as 4 play.

Pick up your extra ration of bacon on your way out.

SELL……………..SEE very end of above post #9, his BACON hasn’t been cooked.!!!

Salute the nation

Sell. He was generating pressure and making plays early in the season, but hasn't done nearly enough the last month or so and he still gets caught inside too often.
Buy. Thompson has earned a spot on the roster, though his playing time will be limited once Fitzpatrick and Neal return.
Too early. Ask me again in two weeks. Let's see them take care of business against teams they should beat.
Buy, but only if they can find suitable replacements. Okorafor is a backup now, so expendable. Johnson is tougher to replace, but I would like to see them try.
Sell. Benton and Porter are right there with Jones. They have been that good. Herbig has made an impact in limited playing time, but he just isn't on the field as much as the other three, so he isn't making a comparable impact.
Sell, but only because of the way you worded the question. If the offense improves the rest of the season as it did against the Bengals, I could see them hiring from within again. I don't think they should, though. It is time to bring in an OC from outside.
Buy, but only if Pickett has to continue to improve.
Buy unfortunately. Given the weakness of the remaining schedule, the Steelers should make it. If they don't, Tomlin should be held accountable.
Sell, sort of. I think he will make it through his first contract, but I'm not sold on him getting a second one.

Not really buy/ sell questions, but I'm tired and too lazy to start a new thread:

How 11. Do the Steelers top 325 points scored for the season? They are at 182 right now.. but face a lot of bad D’s down the stretch

12 does the Steelers D give up 325 points on the season? They are at 205 right now but face some poor Os down the stretch…

13. In what Game does Picketts Interceptionless streak end?

14. In what game does pickett next throw for two tds?

15. What team ends our streak of 150 yards rushing?

16. Who finishes with more rushing yards? Najeh or Warren?

17. How many sacks does TJ finish with?

18. What division teams make the playoffs?

19. What steelers defensive player gets the next Interception?

20. Ill do this as a buy/sell…. By season’s end, Mike Tomlin will be within 20 games of Chuck Noll’s win total (he is 23 back right now)

11. Do the Steelers top 325 points scored for the season? They are at 182 right now.. but face a lot of bad D’s down the stretch
Sell. They're averaging 16.5 PPG and would have to average about 24 PPG over the final 6 games. That feels like a big jump.

12 does the Steelers D give up 325 points on the season? They are at 205 right now but face some poor Os down the stretch…
Buy. In this case, the defense just has to hold opponents to just under 20 PPG to avoid 325. Right now they're averaging 18.6 PPG allowed. Arizona, New England, and Cincinnati without Burrow stink. The other three teams can score, just not enough.

13. In what Game does Picketts Interceptionless streak end?
This week, you jinxed it.

14. In what game does pickett next throw for two tds?
New England. He'll put on a show in primetime against Belichick.

15. What team ends our streak of 150 yards rushing?
I could see it ending this week, not necessarily because the other team stops the Steelers.

16. Who finishes with more rushing yards? Najeh or Warren?
Warren is only down by 56 yards. As long as the division of labor continues at its current rate, Warren will lead the team in rushing.

17. How many sacks does TJ finish with?

18. What division teams make the playoffs?
Baltimore and Pittsburgh

19. What steelers defensive player gets the next Interception?
Patrick Peterson against his former team

20. Ill do this as a buy/sell…. By season’s end, Mike Tomlin will be within 20 games of Chuck Noll’s win total (he is 23 back right now)
Buy. It should be under 20 games by the end of the season.

Sell - I don't really see enough to say definitively but there's enough quality OLB's/Pass rushers ahead of him.
No comment - haven't seen him in action
Buy - given current standings and run home of teams in the playoff frame, the Steelers should make it.
Buy buy bye
Neutral - Jones has only started a handful of games and there are still six to go, so too early to make a judgement If I have to commit Sell.
Sell - if they get the best out of the offensive players, average 25+ points a game, Pickett gets 10 touchdowns and 5:1 touchdown:intercept ratio in the run home and the offense explodes in the playoffs you have to keep them. The only concern I would have in that scenario is how to allocate accountability between Faulkner and Sullivan going forward.
Buy - the whole team incl Najee and Warren will give them a fighting chance.
Sell - the Steelers are 7-4 with two games against bottom feeders + 1 game against a struggling Cinci. They should also win one of their other three. 10-7 should be good enough for the playoffs, 11-6 definitely will be.

I think if they don't make the playoffs from here Tomlin's future needs to be carefully considered I also wonder if they fail to make the playoffs if Tomlin might decide it's time to move on.
Neutral - too early in the new offensive regime to say how he will turn out. I lean towards Buy on the basis Pickett turns it around enough to retain the starter's job, or he'll be offered a low end backup contract at the end of year four.

Sell, too many guys ahead of him, this year there is a lot of high level play Hunter, Crosby, even Clowney has more sacks currently and given that TJ Watt is an automatic vote then highsmith won't have any kind of priority
Buy, the kid can be a good rotational piece, we have a lot of backup SS but we are limited at FS depth

Buy, Tomlin will make it happen. What happens next... I have little faith in him

Chuks should be traded but we better invest in another OT early in the draft or the team will have no depth

Sell, JPJ is becoming a shutdown corner. Love it that both could be worth it though

Don't know, they love to hire within, if Pickett makes serious progress they are staying for sure

Buy, playoffs football is all about controlling the clock

Buy, and I dont like it

Don't know, need one season with a competent OC to know.