• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers' Great Terry Bradshaw Shares Absolutely Painful Wish "I Know I Don't Deserve This"

SteelerNation.com News

Forefather
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers were the first team to earn four Super Bowl victories. Terry Bradshaw was the starting quarterback in all four games. He retired after a brief one-game comeback in 1983 against the New York Jets where he reinjured his surgically repaired elbow. Bradshaw left the NFL without the fanfare that Ben Roethlisberger enjoyed in his final home game and the outpouring of love from the Pittsburgh fan base that he so desperately craved.

READ MORE

Every article has a painfully long backstory until you get to the real meat of the story. By then I usually have stop reading, but at least they got their click that they were looking for.

He had Steelernation adoring him until he acted like an arse after retirement. Who cares what the non Steelers fans look up to Terry, we are all that matters. 😁

Anywho he still has plenty of fans that think of him highly. Regardless if he deserves it.

I feel for Terry in that respect of no love shown. That is partly what kept him away from PITTSBURGH for so long.

On the flip side……..

Terry cashed in on his “dumb farm boy” act as well. I recall a few endorsements with the “dumb” depicted. Even his Talking Head gig has given that persona To a degree.

I’m sure Terry knows he can’t change the past, but also focusing on the past can hinder the present. I don’t know him personally but present is where the focus needs to be and that is where you can create “new” past.

Salute the nation

I know people change, and people have regrets, and everyone's entitled to a few passes as nobody is perfect.
But I'm stubborn when it comes to Bradshaw.
The way he treated Noll and the things he said about Noll are unforgivable to me.
The entire planet was calling for you to be benched/cut in your early days and he stuck with you, and you repay him by baselessly slandering him every chance you got.
And why? Because he didn't give you a hug or pat you on the back? Because that wasn't his coaching style?
If all the players/some players/any players said anything remotely near what Bradshaw did, I might give the pass or at least understand.
But to this day, the only "negative" thing I can dig up on Noll is he had weird phrases or analogies.
But universally he was seen as stoic and a teacher, famously saying he's not a motivator and if you need motivation, you've chosen the wrong profession.
To me, there is absolutely no excuse for any of things he said about Noll.
I'm probably being petty, but it just sticks with me and too hard to just wave away.

I was just a little kid when Bradshaw was in his early to mid career. So I harbor nothing from that time period. We all wish we could go back and have things turn out differently. I'm sure he has regrets over his own actions. Hopefully, he's matured enough to see his role in all of it.

That said, I positively dislike him as a studio analyst. He should have been ousted years ago.

I know people change, and people have regrets, and everyone's entitled to a few passes as nobody is perfect.
But I'm stubborn when it comes to Bradshaw.
The way he treated Noll and the things he said about Noll are unforgivable to me.
The entire planet was calling for you to be benched/cut in your early days and he stuck with you, and you repay him by baselessly slandering him every chance you got.
And why? Because he didn't give you a hug or pat you on the back? Because that wasn't his coaching style?
If all the players/some players/any players said anything remotely near what Bradshaw did, I might give the pass or at least understand.
But to this day, the only "negative" thing I can dig up on Noll is he had weird phrases or analogies.
But universally he was seen as stoic and a teacher, famously saying he's not a motivator and if you need motivation, you've chosen the wrong profession.
To me, there is absolutely no excuse for any of things he said about Noll.
I'm probably being petty, but it just sticks with me and too hard to just wave away.

Nothing wrong with one’s personal views.

Bradshaw is nearing end of life and is looking back with regret in some of his doings.

He needs to realize and be accountable for his share of making his past. Forgive others and yourself, makes it easier.

Noll didn’t go out of his way to make Bradshaw’s life miserable, quite contrary as he went out of his way to give terry opportunity to succeed and that’s what Bradshaw should be currently focused on.

GREAT post fedderone, thanks for all the great ones along the way.

Salute the nation

Its just good to see that number 12 is still with us..

Ill never forget the day as a 9 year old and bought a pack of football cards at the neighborhood corner store...and much to much surprise, it had a rookie Terry Bradshaw card in it!

And to top it off, when I read the back of the card....I saw that we shared the same birthday!
Talk about a happy day for a young boy in Pittsburgh! I told everybody I saw for 2 weeks about that lol...(and I guess I still do lol)..

Hope we both have another birthday to celebrate on terra firma.....neither of us are getting any younger lol...

BTW---I still have the card.

Last edited:
I feel for Terry in that respect of no love shown. That is partly what kept him away from PITTSBURGH for so long.

On the flip side……..

Terry cashed in on his “dumb farm boy” act as well. I recall a few endorsements with the “dumb” depicted. Even his Talking Head gig has given that persona To a degree.

I’m sure Terry knows he can’t change the past, but also focusing on the past can hinder the present. I don’t know him personally but present is where the focus needs to be and that is where you can create “new” past.

Salute the nation
You went a little Kamala Harris on us there. 🥴

Most know Bradshaw for his studio gig, but to be loved and respected for your game, you still need to be connected to the team and city you played for. I didn't watch Bradshaw play and while the highlights are great, have always felt he doesn't care much for the Steelers, fans, or city of Pittsburgh. Again, just my impression. By contrast, I see some of the lesser names come back from the 70's Steelers and they get welcomed with open arms and a huge ovation. Bradshaw should get respect for the 4 championships, but he should do the same to the franchise that helped get him there.

Every article has a painfully long backstory until you get to the real meat of the story. By then I usually have stop reading, but at least they got their click that they were looking for.
You realize the 'click' you're complaining about helps keep this place running, right?

met Terry at the FedEx St Jude golf tournament on Celeb Pro/Am Day.

I was over at the driving range watching guys like Bo Jackson, Joe Theisman, etc hit balls. Theisman was signing autographs and said "I better hurry and sign these before Bradshaw gets here and people forget who I am." - then laughed about it.

I saw Bradshaw's car pull up - actually just a car pull up - to the club house and casually walked over. Almost **** myself when I saw the original TB12 get out. Got a pic with him and shook his hand. Super cool dude.

met Terry at the FedEx St Jude golf tournament on Celeb Pro/Am Day.

I was over at the driving range watching guys like Bo Jackson, Joe Theisman, etc hit balls. Theisman was signing autographs and said "I better hurry and sign these before Bradshaw gets here and people forget who I am." - then laughed about it.

I saw Bradshaw's car pull up - actually just a car pull up - to the club house and casually walked over. Almost **** myself when I saw the original TB12 get out. Got a pic with him and shook his hand. Super cool dude.

Dang good story Supe, thanks for sharing.

Salute the nation

It's funny I just watched this early this morning before coming to the board.

I remember growing up and thinking he was "superman". But I guess he wasn't.

Anyway there is a special spot in my heart for TB. Always will be. Pretty much everyone on those teams,. How lucky we were to witness it.

And remember, he called his own plays.

Last edited:
He had Steelernation adoring him until he acted like an arse after retirement. Who cares what the non Steelers fans look up to Terry, we are all that matters. 😁

Anywho he still has plenty of fans that think of him highly. Regardless if he deserves it.
Bingo. Key position on a top ten team in any sport by any reasonable definition. 4 time champion and first ballot HOF. A what 35 year career in broadcasting after playing where he has a weekly platform that none of his teamates have. But unhappy he isn't more loved and respected. That is Terry in a nutshell.

You realize the 'click' you're complaining about helps keep this place running, right?
Most definitely. It is why I click. Hopefully a few that write the articles perhaps can take a little criticism and learn from it. When you scroll down over half an article to get to the meat on every article it gets old. Most of it is fluff they throw in when all I am looking for is based off the title of the article. It is what it is at the moment.

Bradshaw was not given the respect he earned or deserved. He QB'd the Steelers to a 14-5 playoff record with 4 game-winning drives. He started off 1-2 in the playoffs so he went 13-3 after that, competing against the best teams in the NFL. He threw for more than 3800 yards in the playoffs, 8.4 YPA and 30 TD's.

Oh, and he won 4 freaking Super Bowls. Yet he is not considered one of the all-time greats.

I think this video captures a ton. Many of the Steeler players thought Terry was perceived different than the other Steeler plays and Coach Noll protected him. That Terry didn't attend his funeral put the real nail in the issue for me. I loved Terry as a player but do not respect his treatment and attitude towards the Steelers greatest coach.

Bradshaw was not given the respect he earned or deserved. He QB'd the Steelers to a 14-5 playoff record with 4 game-winning drives. He started off 1-2 in the playoffs so he went 13-3 after that, competing against the best teams in the NFL. He threw for more than 3800 yards in the playoffs, 8.4 YPA and 30 TD's.

Oh, and he won 4 freaking Super Bowls. Yet he is not considered one of the all-time greats.

A-N-D

Terry didn’t cheat or have a cheating advantage as that other Azzhole prick TB12 did.

Salute the nation

People don't get taught a lot of history. As decades pass by you are forgotten and minimized by a new generation of players and media. You can tell by the silly lists of greatest players and teams that circulate.

One thing is for sure those teams had a bunch of men on them. No room for self absorbed little boys who needed pampering in that group.

It's funny I just watched this early this morning before coming to the board.

I remember growing up and thinking he was "superman". But I guess he wasn't.

Anyway there is a special spot in my heart for TB. Always will be. Pretty much everyone on those teams,. How lucky we were to witness it.

And remember, he called his own plays.

How to make me disappear for an hour and get all fired up.

Its just good to see that number 12 is still with us..

Ill never forget the day as a 9 year old and bought a pack of football cards at the neighborhood corner store...and much to much surprise, it had a rookie Terry Bradshaw card in it!

And to top it off, when I read the back of the card....I saw that we shared the same birthday!
Talk about a happy day for a young boy in Pittsburgh! I told everybody I saw for 2 weeks about that lol...(and I guess I still do lol)..

Hope we both have another birthday to celebrate on terra firma.....neither of us are getting any younger lol...

BTW---I still have the card.

AWESOME story / memory steel dino, appreciate you sharing it.

Salute the nation

People don't get taught a lot of history. As decades pass by you are forgotten and minimized by a new generation of players and media. You can tell by the silly lists of greatest players and teams that circulate.

One thing is for sure those teams had a bunch of men on them. No room for self absorbed little boys who needed pampering in that group.

TRUTH

Not just in sports, but in life as well. Some employees today think they should get a bonus just to be to work on time, actual starting time.

So many young people, about 3 generations, haven’t had “RFEAL MAN” presence in their lives. To many single parent families and parents wanting to be the kid’s friend, not the tough love needed to grow and expand for the kid.

Sorry for the tangent, but I hear what you are saying clearly.

Salute the nation