• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers May Have “Their Guy” in 2022 NFL Draft, Says ESPN’s Todd McShay

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers are in search of their next franchise quarterback as we have read time and time again since the retirement of future first ballot Hall of Fame quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger. I won’t lie, this Steelers’ topic is just monotonous at this point. There has been so much speculation this offseason about who the next quarterback for the black and gold may be. The Steelers signed QB1, as of right now, Mitch Trubisky as soon as free agency began. They have done their homework on prospects coming out of the 2022 NFL Draft like Matt Corral, Desmond Ridder, Sam Howell, Carson Strong, Kenny Pickett and Malik Willis. A week away from the 2022 NFL Draft, we’ve heard from all of the talking heads about who they think the Steelers will choose and we’ve seen all of their mock draft selections that have the Steelers taking a QB. So, what’s wrong with one more?

ESPN’s Todd McShay appeared on the network’s podcast, First Draft, with Mel Kiper and Field Yates earlier this week to break down each AFC teams’ needs and possible draft prospects. Yates brought up the Steelers and immediately prefaced the homework the team has done on the quarterback position during the pre-draft process.

McShay responded by saying:

“Yeah, they have and from all indications, Malik Willis is the guy. We’ve talked about it a lot on this podcast and other shows, Malik Willis brings that running element. You already have a strong run game; you’ve got a really good defense. So, why not bring the quarterback in this class, the one quarterback that legitimately can give you a numbers advantage in the run game. You know, a lot like what we see with Lamar Jackson in Baltimore. That’s the kind of player that I suspect they’re looking to get with Mike Tomlin coming out saying we need more mobility at that position. So, Malik Willis makes sense.”
Steelers Malik Willis

Liberty QB Malik Willis might be a surprise first-round draft pick in 2022. (Photo by David Rosenblum/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

All that McShay mentions is complete truth and his explanation on why the Steelers would target Willis make a lot of sense! A lot of people have questions about Willis and whether or not he is worth a first round pick.

McShay continued:

“The big question is, A. Does he go number 6 overall to the Carolina Panthers? Do the Panthers instead go with Kenny Pickett and Willis starts to creep down the board a little bit? Or do the Panthers just go offensive tackle at that 6 spot and both of the quarterbacks fall. Ultimately, I think if Malik Willis starts to creep in the 10, 12, [or] 13 range the Steelers, if they like him as much as I think that they like him and as much as Hugh Freeze told me that Mike Tomlin likes him, they could wind up moving up to make sure another team doesn’t jump up ahead of them to go get Malik Willis with that pick.”
Can the Steelers land QB Malik Willis in next week’s draft? I’ve though all along it’s the perfect marriage. pic.twitter.com/u87g4WCOJz

— Todd McShay (@McShay13) April 21, 2022

McShay makes a valid, yet obvious, remark that it pretty much depends on what other quarterback-needy teams like the Panthers do ahead of the Steelers, before the Steelers make a decision on whether or not to trade up if the price is right. The Panthers are interested enough in Willis to host him on a pre-draft visit. However, the Panthers aren’t the only quarterback-needy team the Steelers may have to worry about if Willis is their guy. A team like the New Orleans Saints, with two picks to make before the Steelers make their first at 20 after making a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles a couple weeks ago, may like him just as much.

See the whole episode of ESPN’s First Draft below to see what McShay has to say about other AFC teams’ draft plans, below!

If you were in the Steelers’ war room, would you suggest moving up to take Willis if he fell outside the top 10 like McShay suggests the Steelers may do? Sound off in the comment section below, or on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

McShay must not watch the Steelers if he thinks they have a good running game and a good defense. The run defense was atrocious and the ground game ranked 29th in both total yards and YPC.

Running QB’s do not last. Give me a true Field General QB that can read D’s and make plays from the pocket. If they have s little wiggle, so much the better.

curious that he's so awesome and somehow the ravens haven't signed him to a long term deal yet.
There is no denying this. Teams don't waste time signing franchise QBs. Whether they admit it or not, the Ravens front office/coaching staff has some element of doubt.

curious that he's so awesome and somehow the ravens haven't signed him to a long term deal yet.

I' hoping that trend changes and dramatically increases in $$$money$$$ .

Salute the nation

Running QB’s do not last. Give me a true Field General QB that can read D’s and make plays from the pocket. If they have s little wiggle, so much the better.
THIS

It's a fail fail scenerio. It's almost like they want the STEELERS to fail so they continously push and make it sound GREAT way to go.

Everyone including e can see a running Action QB is NOT the long term answer.

BEN for 18 years is an anomally vs normal QB longevity. RB / QB is a 3-5 year production window, if that. Once the film is out the RB/QB is toast and ineffective.

Willis could pan out but from what many say of his ability to read and his acuracy window being challenged, It would be a pass for me.

We have a couple bigger needs this year and that would really advance what we have accomplished to this point in personal..

Next year with better cap / draft capital we could land a GEM.

Salute the nation

If Pickett was there @ 20, I would give him some serious consideration. I would not move up for any QB this year. They have other holes to fill.

Probably because Lamar doesn’t have an agent. He handles his contract negotiation himself.

Well they are upset he won't take a RBs salary. It is causing a slowdown in contract negotiations, obviously.

they should pay him top QB 'money plus top RB money....fully guaranteed.
I agree. We are talking making Watson's contract look like peanuts. Show him the money!

Lamar after his contract for $500 mil over the next 5 seasons, fully guaranteed

what if the ravens draft Willis?

If they were sold on Lamar, he'd already have a new deal. They know that it's just a matter of time before he gets injured with his style of play. They tried to make him more of a pocket passer and he hasn't developed. He is what he is.

If the ravens think that he will always just be a running QB, then you may as well start over with a newer and cheaper version in Willis.

Imagine if they set up a trade with somebody like Detroit? Detroit is starved for a star player. Coach Dan Campbell is a tough guy who wants to run and be physical. I'm guessing he'd love having a ravens style high school offense.

Lamar should announce a hold out the day after the draft is over. If the ravens don't draft a QB, then he has them by the balls. If they do draft a QB, then he should tell them he's not going to play for peanuts while their new QB learns.