• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Mt. Rushmore buy or sell?

Last edited:
My MOUNT RUSHMORE has to have Franco on it...Had his T-Shirt as a kid & as I remember it, he had a HUGGGGE following, the flash (with class) & was a freaking WORKHORSE..

FRANCO'S ARMY ??? THE IMMACULATE RECEPTION ???

MEAN JOE GREENE
FRANCO HARRIS
TERRY BRADSHAW
BEN ROETHLISBERGER

If its just players
1 is MJG absolutely
2. Arguably is Lambert
3. Ben for the Modern era SBs
4. Can Be Bradshaw, Bettis, Franco, or Troy

If its coaches too Noll has to be on there

If Owners are included, Dan rooney jumps to #1 and everything else adjusts

My MOUNT RUSHMORE has to have Franco on it...Had his T-Shirt as a kid & as I remember it, he had a HUGGGGE following, the flash (with class) & was a freaking WORKHORSE..

FRANCO'S ARMY ??? THE IMMACULATE RECEPTION ???

MEAN JOE GREENE
FRANCO HARRIS
TERRY BRADSHAW
BEN ROETHLISBERGER
why are you yelling at us?

this bodes the question... who makes the mount Cleveland of steelers? The 4 worse of the worst?

Jermaine Stephens?
Huey Richardson?
Devin Bush?
Troy Edwards?
Cedric Wilson?

Dare i say Dri Archer?
Dare, dare

Let's take a different approach. Who were the four most influential people in the successes of the Steelers Organization over the years. In no particular order...

1. Dan Rooney
2. Joe Greene
3. Bill Nunn
4. Chuck Noll

Let's take a different approach. Who were the four most influential people in the successes of the Steelers Organization over the years. In no particular order...

1. Dan Rooney
2. Joe Greene
3. Bill Nunn
4. Chuck Noll

Beat you to it. LOL.
Took that approach in my long drawn out post #19 which is why you could have missed it. lol

I jokingly put Tomlin in there. No losing seasons is a measure of success isn't it?

Beat you to it. LOL.
Took that approach in my long drawn out post #19 which is why you could have missed it. lol

I jokingly put Tomlin in there. No losing seasons is a measure of success isn't it?
I indeed missed it, sorry. But you did put the Chief in there and one could argue that his horse betting prowess got the Steelers on this path...but they were perennial losers until Dan stepped in and ran the day to day business. For me, Dan is easily on Mt Rushmore ahead of his Pops.

Jamain Stephens, Jarvis Jones, Chris Rainey, Kendrick Green

A good list but can we leave a QB off the equation?

Most important position IMO.
I can.
EASILY.
I've been on this board countless times raging against QBs getting ALL the blame and/or ALL the accolades.
Football is a team game, and countless teams have shown a SB can be had without a "great" QB.
Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Joe Flacco, etc.
When you ask me to start rattling off Steeler greats, TB and BR are down the list and certainly not in the argument for top four/Mt. Rushmore.

Franco Harris / Troy P. are slightly ahead of Ben for me at this time ........ 1st Ballad HOF will put him on par ....... 4 more years of TJ Watt will move him up the chart ..... but we will never see another dynasty like the 70's group............so it would be based on individual accomplishments
Franco was my "honorable mention/5th head".
The Immaculate Reception was the spark that ignited the 70s dynasty flame and he's a HOFer.
It was a tough call between him and Troy for me.

If he keeps going like he has been, TJ Watt will be the greatest Steeler ever.
It's horrible that his team hasn't won a playoff game since he's been here. That's aberrant compared to even the Woodson-Lloyd era of greats. Even Barry Sanders won a playoff game under Wayne Fontes.

I'd have no problem with Mel Blount's glistening dome on Mount Rushmore. Strong case for Ham or Webster as well at their positions. However, Franco may have the most compelling case with the IR and Joe Greene even said "we never won anything before Franco got here, and we never won anything after he left."

I'd take Ben off only for one of those guys, but feel like Terry has to be there. Nobody was any better in big games.

1. Dan Rooney
2. Joe Greene
3. Bill Nunn
4. Chuck Noll
I'm almost on board with this list, but man, how do you leave off The Chief?
Without Art Rooney himself, none of these other names are being debated.
If we go by your criteria bolded above, my list changes to :

1. Art Rooney
2. Chuck Noll
3. Bill Nunn
4. Joe Greene

Without anyone of these four, we aren't writing these things today.

Jamain Stephens, Jarvis Jones, Chris Rainey, Kendrick Green

Of these guys, Stephens would be my biggest disappointment.

One could argue Green, but he was put at a huge disadvantage before he even got started.

Salute the nation

I'm almost on board with this list, but man, how do you leave off The Chief?
Without Art Rooney himself, none of these other names are being debated.
If we go by your criteria bolded above, my list changes to :

1. Art Rooney
2. Chuck Noll
3. Bill Nunn
4. Joe Greene

Without anyone of these four, we aren't writing these things today.
Like I told Stewey, I have Dan over The Chief because the Steelers were perennial losers until Dan took over operations in 1969. Dan convinced Bill Nunn to leave the Pittsburgh Courier and also personally hired Chuck Noll, two men also on the list who were instrumental in The Steelers championships.

Like I told Stewey, I have Dan over The Chief because the Steelers were perennial losers until Dan took over operations in 1969. Dan convinced Bill Nunn to leave the Pittsburgh Courier and also personally hired Chuck Noll, two men also on the list who were instrumental in The Steelers championships.
Point well taken.
You have me second guessing myself now.
Hmmmmm.................

A Steeler Mt. Rushmore is impossible IMO.
How do you leave off Mike Webster?

Bradshaw and Ben? Too many other stars to have 2 qb's.
Its Bradshaw for me by a longshot.

Some earlier Mt. Rushmore's included either Noll or the Chief.

A separate Mt. Rushmore could be for coaches and management.

For that I would include Art Rooney, Chuck Noll, Bill Nunn, and Tomlin (no losing seasons)
J/K about Tomlin LOL. Perhaps Bill Cowher.
I’d put Khan up there as the 4th, anyone that can trade Chase Claypuff and net JPJ in return deserves to be etched in stone

I know, still too early…

Should be a 2 SB minimum, hopefully he’ll be eligible soon

If he keeps going like he has been, TJ Watt will be the greatest Steeler ever.

Joe Greene, would be that person.

TJ is well on his way of 40years without a playoff win……….not his fault, but still a member of the team.

He could end up the GREATEST Steelers player to never win a play off game……….

He could also end up being the greatest Steelers player to win 12 consecutive SBs.

In any event TJ WATT is well on his way to being one of the greatest Steelers player of all time, he joins many others in that regards.

Salute the nation

If its just players
1 is MJG absolutely
2. Arguably is Lambert
3. Ben for the Modern era SBs
4. Can Be Bradshaw, Bettis, Franco, or Troy

If its coaches too Noll has to be on there

If Owners are included, Dan rooney jumps to #1 and everything else adjusts

Noll is the franchises number one all time coach, not an arguement. Even if the current coach surpasses his franchise win record, Chuck will still be the number one. Tomlin hasn’t and can’t do what Coach Noll has done for this franchise.

Salute the nation

SOMETHING JUST HIT ME!
("Brain pathways are most excitable in the morning empowering peak performance early in the day")
AND YEAH COOLIE, IM YELLING.

I have a solution that may put a dent in our "problem" of too many Steeler greats.

No Steeler great after the 70's era should be considered.

Consider Mt. Rushmore itself. Those people were the foundation of this great county, and one who kept this country united.
Would we ever consider including greatness that followed? I don't think so. (Not that we have a whole lot of choices)

The foundation for this teams greatness was conceived in the 70's my friends.
Everything that followed was the product of that.

Therefore Ben, you're out.
Hines..out
Polamalu...out
Bettis...out
Cowher...out