• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Mt. Rushmore buy or sell?

SOMETHING JUST HIT ME!
("Brain pathways are most excitable in the morning empowering peak performance early in the day")
AND YEAH COOLIE, IM YELLING.

I have a solution that may put a dent in our "problem" of too many Steeler greats.

No Steeler great after the 70's era should be considered.

Consider Mt. Rushmore itself. Those people were the foundation of this great county, and one who kept this country united.
Would we ever consider including greatness that followed? I don't think so. (Not that we have a whole lot of choices)

The foundation for this teams greatness was conceived in the 70's my friends.
Everything that followed was the product of that.

Therefore Ben, you're out.
Hines..out
Polamalu...out
Bettis...out
Cowher...out
Ernie stautner and whizzer white in?

I can.
EASILY.
I've been on this board countless times raging against QBs getting ALL the blame and/or ALL the accolades.
Football is a team game, and countless teams have shown a SB can be had without a "great" QB.
Trent Dilfer, Mark Rypien, Joe Flacco, etc.
When you ask me to start rattling off Steeler greats, TB and BR are down the list and certainly not in the argument for top four/Mt. Rushmore.
You can maybe make that argument in '74, but in '75 TB led the Steelers to a come from behind seesaw battle win vs the Cowboys wth the consensus greatest throw in NFL History on a play where he was concussed. His big strike arm was the difference maker in '78 and '79 "like a pool hall hustler" to quote John Facenda. He did this calling his own plays! He was the first QB to throw for 300 yards in a SB IIR. The first game Terry threw for 300 yards occurred in a SB which speaks volumes about rising to the occasion in big games. His chemistry with 88 and 82 was the difference maker at the position once the rule changes were implemented. To think that someone else could have simply been "plugged in" sells him way short and is modern revisionism IMHO inspired by Gibbs and Cowher lol.

Last edited:
In addition to the IR, Franco has a strong argument with '76. The Steelers were playing their best football of the dynasty when he went down in Baltimore and were ordinary the following week in Oakland. Maybe that was just Oakland's year though as they were a great team in their own right.

Last edited:
You can maybe make that argument in '74, but in '75 TB led the Steelers to a come from behind seesaw battle win vs the Cowboys wth the consensus greatest throw in NFL History on a play where he was concussed.
Did you mean the throw Ben made into triple coverage so that Holmes could make the perfect toe tap catch to win the Steelers 6th SB?

Obviously...the solution to this delightful dilemma is a larger mountain...

53 heads, with one being exceptionally larger.!!!

Salute the nation

Did you mean the throw Ben made into triple coverage so that Holmes could make the perfect toe tap catch to win the Steelers 6th SB?

NOT taking anything away from Bradshaw, but that throw belongs to BEN,……………… twice.!!!

Salute the nation

You can maybe make that argument in '74, but in '75 TB led the Steelers to a come from behind seesaw battle win vs the Cowboys wth the consensus greatest throw in NFL History on a play where he was concussed. His big strike arm was the difference maker in '78 and '79 "like a pool hall hustler" to quote John Facenda. He did this calling his own plays! He was the first QB to throw for 300 yards in a SB IIR. The first game Terry threw for 300 yards occurred in a SB which speaks volumes about rising to the occasion in big games. His chemistry with 88 and 82 was the difference maker at the position once the rule changes were implemented. To think that someone else could have simply been "plugged in" sells him way short and is modern revisionism IMHO inspired by Gibbs and Cowher lol.
damn right.
None of those SB's of the 70;'s happen without the original TB12.

Had Ben not had the girl drama early in his career... he's #1 all time on my list. The scars drop him to #6 right now. Deebo is tied for #6 IMO.
Do you notice who didn’t make the list?

Cool shades. Standing on the sidelines smiling with his sunglasses on obviously staring at his 53 buddies. The practice squad players? Yep you guessed it his buddies every one of those bums. It is the only reason they made the practice squad. Every one of those fukerz with their below average 40 time and banana boat heads cool shades hand picked personality. I have it on the know he is in fact on the naughty list. It is why Rooney won’t extend him. I read it yesterday on a site I am not supposed to link. But no worries that won’t stop me.

SOMETHING JUST HIT ME!
("Brain pathways are most excitable in the morning empowering peak performance early in the day")
AND YEAH COOLIE, IM YELLING.

I have a solution that may put a dent in our "problem" of too many Steeler greats.

No Steeler great after the 70's era should be considered.

Consider Mt. Rushmore itself. Those people were the foundation of this great county, and one who kept this country united.
Would we ever consider including greatness that followed? I don't think so. (Not that we have a whole lot of choices)

The foundation for this teams greatness was conceived in the 70's my friends.
Everything that followed was the product of that.

Therefore Ben, you're out.
Hines..out
Polamalu...out
Bettis...out
Cowher...out
He's not wrong, you know.

Joe Greene
Jack Lambert
Ben Roethlisberger
Mel Blount

I think Joe Green and Jack Lambert have to be on there not just for the caliber of their play, but how they personified what was considered the Steelers brand of football for decades.

After that, there are several guys who are pretty interchangeable in the other two spots, IMO.

Roethlisberger gets a slight edge over Bradshaw for me. Bradshaw went to one more Superbowl, winning two more than Ben, but Ben was honestly the more consistent passer throughout his career. It's easy to forget how much Bradshaw struggled in the first half of his career, even once they started winning. Bradshaw also had a pretty strong line in front of him for most of his career, something Ben did not.

Rod Woodson might have been about as good as any player the Steelers ever had, but his Steelers legacy is diminished a bit by having never won a Superbowl with the team. Him making the league's all century team after playing only seven seasons makes it a tough call between him, Blount and Polamalu for me, but Blount being so dominant that they changed the rules in the secondary because of him during the Steelers greatest era gives him the nod, IMO.

We are blessed to have watched enough greats to debate the All Time Steelers line up...how we ever gonna get to just 4?

MJG has to be there - he represents the great 70s. Maybe the easier question is who is the face of each decade?

Dan and Bill Nunn deserve a spot of their own.

We are blessed to have watched enough greats to debate the All Time Steelers line up...how we ever gonna get to just 4?

MJG has to be there - he represents the great 70s. Maybe the easier question is who is the face of each decade?

Dan and Bill Nunn deserve a spot of their own.
Who goes on for the '90s? Woodson left although he was the best player. To me, Lloyd was the unquestioned heart and soul.

Who goes on for the '90s? Woodson left although he was the best player. To me, Lloyd was the unquestioned heart and soul.
Both good choices and I would bet most would vote for Rod or Bussie (though he spanned 90s and 00's). My vote would go to Dermontti Dawson. I know, not as popular but OL rarely are. He is a personal favorite of mine though.

Both good choices and I would bet most would vote for Rod or Bussie (though he spanned 90s and 00's). My vote would go to Dermontti Dawson. I know, not as popular but OL rarely are. He is a personal favorite of mine though.
Dawson is a great sleeper pick!

I loved Lloyd. One of just a few jerseys I've ever owned and the only player I've ever gotten a handshake and autograph from.

All of which I gave to a young boy since I have no use for such things. A handshake is plenty good for me.

Oooooh, I have an idea.
Since our franchise has been SO blessed, perhaps our Mt. Rushmore's should be done by decade?
This would make the choices less difficult.
Although........the 80s aren't going to be pretty.

Oooooh, I have an idea.
Since our franchise has been SO blessed, perhaps our Mt. Rushmore's should be done by decade?

That’s the thing, how many greatest players have the STEELERS had ? A lot !!!

More than any other franchise, including the cheating ********. Other than a handful 5-10(max) who have they got for such a dominating franchise…..

I know this isn’t about the cheatriots Mt.Rushmore, but I’m just using them as a means to just how great our players really were / are. We have players from all decades in the HOF.

We have the ONLY true farm club that all players never played for any other team other than the Pittsburgh Steelers and won a SB doing so. (1979)

1st team to play all road games and then win the SB. Countless hard schedules and yet success in the playoffs.

My point is in order to do these things, you must have great players and that is one thing we have had over the years.

If the last two drafts are any indications, we are well back to on our way to that greatness again.

Salute the nation

Oooooh, I have an idea.
Great idea. wish I had thought of it. :cool:

Great idea. wish I had thought of it. :cool:

You’re going to have to “UP” your game to get to fedderone’s level of thought………………..;)

Salute the nation

Sigh.
I guess very few agree with my idea that the Steelers Mt. Rushmore should only include those Steelers credited for the foundation of this great franchise, as it has symbolized this country.:cry:

What yinz knuckleheads have really been discussing are players that could be included in some sort of place designated to honor all Steeler greats.
Maybe Rooney could make a place at the stadium for some sort of "Steelers Hall of Honor."

Oh crap. My advisor just tapped my shoulder and said we already have that. lol

Last edited: