• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Offense In Better Position for 2021

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers will be going into the 2021 season in a bit of an unfamiliar situation than what they might be used too. Although they made the playoffs last year, the Steelers were the first team out of the AFC North to be eliminated from playoff contention. Ironically, the team to eliminate them was their division rival, the Cleveland Browns. Obviously, the outcome did not go in our favor as miscues and non-excusable mistakes cost this team a chance at climbing up the playoff ladder. Because of this, the Steelers organization and their fans were forced to watch both rivals in our division, The Browns themselves and the Baltimore Ravens, advance further in playoff contention than our Steelers did.

It was a sight no one who supports the black and gold likes to see, and is clearly something that this team uses as motivation that would be vital in how well this team will succeed for this upcoming season. The Steelers aren’t used to being in a situation where they are not necessarily the favorite to win the division, or even a favorite to make the AFC playoffs. Many in the media have portrayed this team to be one that is “stuck in their old ways,” — reason being is because of how outspoken the organization has been in their support of 17-year veteran quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger — standing behind the future Hall of Famers’ play on the field and continuously surrounding him with playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. The Steelers have put a singular focus on upgrading their offensive weapons throughout these past few off-seasons, prioritizing building a team that is built to win now, rather than a team trying to rebuild for the future.

That is the exact reason why you can never count the Steelers out. A lot has been made regarding Roethlisberger’s age in comparison to the other starting quarterbacks in the AFC North. Rightfully so, he is going into his 18th season with this organization at age 39. Whereas Browns QB Baker Mayfield is going into just his fourth full season and Ravens QB Lamar Jackson and Cincinnati Bengals QB Joe Burrow are both going into 2021 at the age of 24 (Jackson going into his fourth season and Burrow just his second). All three are first round selections in the NFL Draft in recent years, and all look to be in their team’s plans for the long haul.

That’s not so much the case with Roethlisberger. It’s no secret to anyone his time in this league is coming to an end, probably quicker than most Steeler fans want, but that is the reality. Although still playing at a high level, Roethlisberger has played the type of “backyard football” that has caused some injuries during his career, as recently as 2019. As stated before, he is 39 years old, going into his 18th season, not many players make it to the point where he is at in his career. In my opinion, the experience Roethlisberger brings to this team gives the Steelers an advantage each time they step on the field.

Although he might not be the same type of player he was years ago, Roethlisberger has still shown the ability to be a top tier quarterback in this league. He has all the playmakers around him he needs. The Steelers have not been short of supplying their quarterback with some talented players as of late. Listen, last season’s offense was atrocious, there is no need to go into detail on all of that, but what I think gets lost in all that is how good Roethlisberger did play, even without a solid running game to support him. He had a 65.6% completion percentage, throwing for 3,803 yards, 33 touchdowns on just 10 interceptions. He was getting the ball to his playmakers quickly, letting the guys with the ball in their hands do what they get paid to do and most took advantage. There was no balance of an offense in Pittsburgh, Roethlisberger and this receiving core were this team’s whole offense and had to play each week knowing the pressure was on them. It wasn’t pretty, but what Roethlisberger was able to do with the offense, paired with the overall team’s success as a defense, was good enough to lead this team to another playoff appearance, in search of his Roethlisberger’s 14th career postseason victory.

I may be biased, but we know how hungry this team and Roethlisberger himself are for another Lombardi Trophy. This team is young but does have some veterans on it that have never been able to make it to the big game and this team has only felt defeat when it comes time to playoff football as of late. With the additions to this offense during this off-season, especially rookie running back Najee Harris, this team can go back to their style of football in having a balanced offensive attack. Harris’ success takes pressure off this passing game, allowing defenses to game plan for the rushing and passing attack equally when it’s their time to face this team, not just having a sole focus on the passing game. Obviously, our defense is our team’s anchor, this team works off that unit, but taking the pressure off this passing game, plus having an offense being led by a 18-year future Hall of Fame quarterback, there is no way you can count this team out.

How confident are you in Roethlisberger and this offense? Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Nice article and well worth the read, thank you Jonathan.

I think the offense will be much better due to the run game affect. I also think if Roethlisberger does take snaps direct (close) off center that this offense will be even better. He will need between 60 & 70% direct (close) snap count to keep defense off set from bull rush. If he takes shot gun (or pistal) and just hands off on delay draws then we will see no improvement.

I think MATT CANADA will mix and match very well and it may come down to BEN's stamina on the close vs shotgun snaps. I for am excited to see this run game incorperated offense.

Salute the nation

I agree Coolie but how many is needed??

Our "D" should be able to hold MOST teams to under 23 1/2. I would think this "O" should be able to score 26 1/2.

I'm not a vegas odds man but I did sleep well last night.!

20-0

(current reality) 17-4

Salute the nation

I agree Coolie but how many is needed??

Our "D" should be able to hold MOST teams to under 23 1/2. I would think this "O" should be able to score 26 1/2.

I'm not a vegas odds man but I did sleep well last night.!

20-0

(current reality) 17-4

Salute the nation
I dunno our CBs concern me. That could easily eclipse OL for biggest problem area.

I dunno our CBs concern me. That could easily eclipse OL for biggest problem area.

I agree slash but I'm thinking Colbert brings in a CB and I'd like it to be NELSON if possible. We definately are hurting as a team for overall depth and the two biggest questions are CB and LT in my opinion. I'm hoping TC can sort at least one of those out and FA the other.

Salute the nation