• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Vs Falcons 2024 wk 1 Gameday Thread

About how I figured it would go. Our only scoring is FG's. :rolleyes:

Not too upset so far.......Some bad calls and bad luck on the floater, but the O only had one punt. Line is holding up, Fields seems to have settled a bit, but the D kinda got gashed last drive. Hopefully an angry TJ comes out

This is the same production from last year. Turtle offense. Scared play calling. Relying on the defense. Only a matter of time before they start losing key players on defense due to this approach. Same stuff, different season.
Not a Tomlin defender, but I think it would look different if Wilson was behind center.

they penalized him for being too good of a player

Back in high school, we had a kid on the soccer team that had an uncanny sense of timing. He got called offsides all the time because refs couldnt believe he timed things as well as he did... when he graduated, he played overseas because he was that good.

Refs are dimwits and haters way too often

Well……bottom line. As per usual we can’t score TD’s in the first half. Don’t care if it’s the first game. It’s been like this for 4+ years. The amount of times we have scored one TD or less in the first half the last 4 years is truly depressing.
Easy. Easy...

OL is still being worked out. They actually don't look that bad under live fire.

Fields is still very young and missed some open recievers but he hasn't made any boneheaded plays (himself) - some of those play calls are questionable and that's on Coach Smith.

I know I'm usually the optimist here but the TDs will come...

That is just a GD shame. Pit zone defense just gives up wide open gashes of real estate. The disturbing thing is that ATL is not very good at all.

I don’t think TJ was offsides but it doesn’t matter

Atlanta is pretty much predicted to be a playoff team this year...

Not too upset so far.......Some bad calls and bad luck on the floater, but the O only had one punt. Line is holding up, Fields seems to have settled a bit, but the D kinda got gashed last drive. Hopefully an angry TJ comes out

Steelers defense plays well and then lets a team march down the field and score at the end of the half? How many times have we seen that?

Turtle ball is living in your fears. The Steeler can play Gun-n-Run ball with GP, Harris and Warren.
O-line is ballin’

Officials have been HORRIBLE! Phantom OPI on GP and 2 offsides calls on the D that the replay showed to be good plays - especially Watts strip sack where they got the TD. That was probably at least a 10-point turn around as we would have been in good field position. And, they refuse to call anything on Atlanta. Obvious holdings with 2 on one play right in front of the official and the obvious tackle and rip-off of Najee's helmet. Those are just a few.

Hopefully, Fields is settled down now. We can't have fumbled snaps. He and Frazier should be on the sidelines practicing snaps and we haven't seen it. He had two wide-open guys that he threw bad balls. GP is uncoverable.

So 2024 starts today.

The likely talking points:
The Falcons come is as the hot pick to win their division.
They fired Arthur Smith last year, and have a new coach in Raheem Morris
They signed Kirk cousins in the offseason
They Drafted Penix Jr at 8 OA
They traded for Judon to boost their pass rush
They signed Simmons.
Their Oline is top 5 in the league

Steelers have Tomlin who equals Jeff Fisher. The offense will always stink if Tomlin is still around. Let's try something new! No head Coach, Tomlin is Head Defensive Coach & let's get an offensive coach who knows how to move the ball! No head coach required....

Easy. Easy...

OL is still being worked out. They actually don't look that bad under live fire.

Fields is still very young and missed some open recievers but he hasn't made any boneheaded plays (himself) - some of those play calls are questionable and that's on Coach Smith.

Isn't this year 4 for Fields? Maybe they just need to let the young man play to his strengths.

Officials have been HORRIBLE! Phantom OPI on GP and 2 offsides calls on the D that the replay showed to be good plays - especially Watts strip sack where they got the TD. That was probably at least a 10-point turn around as we would have been in good field position. And, they refuse to call anything on Atlanta. Obvious holdings with 2 on one play right in front of the official and the obvious tackle and rip-off of Najee's helmet. Those are just a few.

Hopefully, Fields is settled down now. We can't have fumbled snaps. He and Frazier should be on the sidelines practicing snaps and we haven't seen it. He had two wide-open guys that he threw bad balls. GP is uncoverable.
He's 11 for 13 and had a perfectly thrown deep ball taken away from Pickens on a bad call. He's relatively settled in and they aren't letting him take any chances.

That was stupid by Pickens..but good job!
Not really, I think he beats the defender back inside if not for slipping on the cut at the sideline. I have to question the competency of the equipment staff, the Steelers have been slipping and sliding all over the field in the 1st half. At least 3-4 plays were impacted because of incorrect footwear.

I hate when Refs make ticky tak calls on major plays... if it isnt blatant, dont call it. You can call ticky tak every single play... but the league directives specifically tell them not to .
Yet they miss all the holds. The worst being the running play right at TJ watt...

As bad as the officiating has been, I don't want that to be an excuse.
Dominate on the first drive of the second half and don't look back.
If the zebras continue the BS, well that will be a different story.

I know Steeler fan but to be down by one by what we saw from officiating I do not understand ( Hairball would have been voiceless of the calls and not called on Steelers) The couple first down plays for big time loses and no flow in offense not bad. I am surprised no rush and big first down plays the Defense has given up.

Easy. Easy...

You are taking this as me blaming Fields. Fields has been here for one game. I’m not blaming him. I clearly said 4 years a couple times. It’s the system implemented. If you are trying to say they have scored TD’s regularly in the first half in the last 4 years,well I just don’t know what to say. A football hell would be forcing a Steeler fan to watch every first half for the past 4 years. In a padded room.
Of course I hope all that changes for the coming years.