• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers will NOT be on the field for National Anthem.

Easy bread crumbs to follow. Birds of a feather. The hate is strong with them. It's like that awful smell of wine seeping out of the pores after you drink it.

Extremists do flock together.

Just an aside........what is expected to be gained from these protests....in practical terms? Or is this meant to be purely symbolic? If it is just meant to be symbolic, then what is to be gained by alienating a huge chunk of the customer base in the process? If it is just to raise awareness, then that message is lost already, washed away by all of the Trump hatred. Awareness for what, some general bogeyman of racial inequality? If so, it will then have the same empty impact as the ***** hat circuses that we saw early in the Administration.

I see this anthem thing leaving a mark. The NFL is losing ratings and popularity. It seems that every week we are seeing bad mojo......arrests, domestic violence, drug suspensions, etc. The rule changes, and almost unwatchable games due to flags and countless delays, make matters worse.
Like I said in another thread, we are seeing the cooking of the Golden Goose.

The protests on Sunday were different than the prior protest as they were directed at Trump who is cooking up a lot of ****.

"People that are taking a knee are not saying anything negative about the military, they’re not saying anything negative about the flag, they’re just trying to protest that there are some injustices in America" - Alejandro Villanueva 09/25/2017

This is my last post on the matter, onto the Ratbirds. All of you that have turned against the Steelers these past few days need to do some soul searching. Or not. your choice.

Just one man's opinion, which may or may not be influenced by his employers position. That same OPINION does not seem to be shared by the FANS that support them.

The protests on Sunday were different than the prior protest as they were directed at Trump who is cooking up a lot of ****.

So, prior to this weekend, they are pissed at the police departments, yet go on to disrespect the Flag.
This weekend, they are pissed at Trump, yet go on to disrespect the flag.

Do you not see the misdirected actions here?

Answer me this, if you feel that Dicks' Sporting goods is wrongfully discriminating against you and not giving you a fair shot. Why would you go out and protest at Piggly Wiggly?

Face it, you are being used, and refuse to admit it.

All of this is bullshit.Symbolic bullshit at best.
Michael Bennett and Marcellus Bennett protesting police brutality after Michael Bennett ran from the cops in an active shooter situation and refused to comply with police directives. Brilliant.
Terrell Suggs protesting police brutality, despite attempting to pour bleach down the throat of his wife/girlfriend. Brilliant.
Ray Lews. well... Brilliant.
Mike Evans gets in a bar fight. Not arrested. Brilliant.
James Burgess Jr. arrested for assault while in college. Brilliant.
LeSean McCoy. Brilliant.

these are the mouthpieces for police brutality. these are the mensa candidates that the MSM is gushing over.
these are the ******* making the fans of the teams they play for either defending their actions or turning away from the NFL altogether.

the national anthem is not their platform to stage a protest.
the national anthem is for all americans - even those who feel oppressed.
the national anthem is also a vivid reminder that we have the opportunity to play, attend and cheer at a ******* game played by grown men based on the sacrifices of those who serve in our armed forces. the same guys in the armed forces who would give their lives for this country.

does anyone know if ANY of these ******* tools even contribute back to their community? do they know the address for Big Brothers/Big Sisters? Do they go into inner city schools and talk to the kids about staying off drugs, attending school and learning?

until these ******* do that, then kneeling is absolutely NOTHING more than an empty gesture devoid of sympathy or empathy, but is more for putting a spotlight on themselves.

We, as Americans, need to take a look at the teams that locked arms together to stay united. That's where it's at. Nothing Trump says should deter that. We all should have one fight and that's to work together to be better people. There is so much divided **** being thrown around, we don't know which way is up from down. Now, many are pissed over the Steelers, for all accounts, were trying to do the right and honorable thing, which they didn't even ask to be a part of. We need to stop all this hostile name calling and arguing. It's getting old. Everyone has their own views and opinions, and it's about time we LISTEN. Why can't we do that anymore? I'm guilty for fanning the flames from time to time, but enough is enough. I do my best not throw insults around and it can be hard when you are bombarded with **** thrown at you and on you. I get it, but damn, adults are acting like children. Everywhere you turn around, it gets political and then hostile. Rinse and repeat! White people, black people, brown people, yellow people, we are not going anywhere, so we need to work together, live together and accept each other's differences, views and opinions. I'm not saying we have to adopt everything, but be understanding and tolerant of one another.
It's 2017. We should be waaaaaaay past this point in our culture. We need to re-learn respect, understand and tolerance. Until that happens, this country will keep spiraling out of control. Our leaders need to start leading and uniting. If they can't do that, then they need to be replaced with ones that can and will. We need a re-set button.

if only there was a hashtag that would cure all this.

So, prior to this weekend, they are pissed at the police departments, yet go on to disrespect the Flag.
This weekend, they are pissed at Trump, yet go on to disrespect the flag.

Do you not see the misdirected actions here?

Answer me this, if you feel that Dicks' Sporting goods is wrongfully discriminating against you and not giving you a fair shot. Why would you go out and protest at Piggly Wiggly?

Face it, you are being used, and refuse to admit it.

Not all of the protests disrespected the flag, for example what Jerry Jones and the Cowboys did. You didn't see owners on the field before this weekend. You didn't see team-organized displays of unity.

Being used for what? I'm just observing what is happening. Trump pouring gas on flames and inciting people.

Not all of the protests disrespected the flag, for example what Jerry Jones and the Cowboys did. You didn't see owners on the field before this weekend. You didn't see team-organized displays of unity.

Being used for what? I'm just observing what is happening. Trump pouring gas on flames and inciting people.

The cowboys did what they did because they saw the backlash the NFL created from their fan base. Nothing more nothing less. I will agree it was better than what was done before. It still does not have a place for a place of employment. The NFL has long had a stance on individuals making a personal statement and for good reason. You can't have every player making demonstrations no matter how worthy the cause. See d Williams wanting to wear pink. This whole thing started due to a disrespectful protest. At least 50% of Americans fell this way and perceptions reality. So why did the NFL not squash this protest? The hypersensitivity around being deemed racist for upholding prior rules of conduct. Well it came back 2 fold.

Just one man's opinion, which may or may not be influenced by his employers position. That same OPINION does not seem to be shared by the FANS that support them.

Tib's quote is a bullshit quote. I saw an NFL player last night interviewed by SVP. SVP led with a leading and loaded question - "Does it still frustrate you that so many don't understand that when you kneel in protest, you're not disrespecting the flag or the country? " and the player responded in agreement and explained how he's not disrespecting the flag or the USA.

So let me get this straight. If I call a black person a nigger, then say "I'm not disrespecting him or his culture. It's a euphemism aimed at bringing light to the plight of the African American Community when I use it" - if I say that, all is forgiven - because I explain to you why - you shouldn't be offended?

That's what these kneelers are doing. Asking us NOT to be offended by their desecration. "You see, I kneel when the anthem is played, in front of the American flag because I love this country." Holy ****, really? Yeah, I call you nigger because I love all black people. Good lord.

ESPN and the NFL are saying to Americans that love the country and the flag, tolerate these insults and defamations of the flag and country - we don't care if you feel offended. If you are offended, that's your fault for being offended. Hey, Mr. African American, if I call you the N word and you get offended, that's your problem.

Oh and while you're at it, please don't disrespect the 'shield' of the NFL. Hypocritical bullshit.

If Americans are offended when Michael Bennett kneels in front of our great flag, then they are offended. If Bennet kneels and servicemen are offended, they are offended. Rightfully so just as the black man SHOULD be offended being called a nigger.

ESPN, NFL, the media - you can't dictate to Americans that they should NOT be offended by this. You're doing it and you're already paying for it. You're pissing off a ton of Americans.

Last edited:
The cowboys did what they did because they saw the backlash the NFL created from their fan base. Nothing more nothing less.
Exactly. It's all about Jeruh's financial sheet. He figures the spotlight his team will be put in will eventually pay dividend$. He's no maverick. He's still a carnival barker. Just like when the NFL had it's apparel contract with Reebok, and Jeruh made his own deal with Nike. Money is at the root of everything he does. He just paints this over with supposed "values/ideals".

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/nfl...bc-cbs-fox-espn-nfln-regular-season-playoffs/

So NFL ratings are down and down a lot as a whole. That includes streaming as you can see so the NFL's line touting about cord cutters are invalid. Surprisingly the early games on CBS were up. I wish they'd show just the Steelers ratings but haven't been able to find that.

So question. Ben and Cam said they were wrong, Rooney back tracked now understanding the people that support his team do not support his political position. No real statement since the game from coach Token. Is it enough? You watching Sunday?

Me personally am continuing on. I'm going to either be on the lake or the golf course with my "white privileged" sons who understand the value in hard work, morals, and doing the right thing. As such they stand for the flag [emoji631] and won't get shot for robbing, raping, or attacking police.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:
A Letter from Art Rooney, II to Steelers Nation

To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, based on what I believe is a misperception about our players' intentions in not taking the field for the National Anthem in Chicago. The intentions of Steelers players were to stay out of the business of making political statements by not taking the field. Unfortunately, that was interpreted as a boycott of the anthem – which was never our players' intention.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and are united by what it means to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are active in their communities and participate regularly in events designed to give back to those communities. And they appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans around the country and here at home.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva. There was never any desire on the part of our players to show disrespect for our service members.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff.

Sincerely,

Art Rooney, II
Pittsburgh Steelers

Last edited:
A Letter from Art Rooney, II to Steelers Nation

To Steelers Nation:

I want to reach out to you, the members of Steelers Nation, based on what I believe is a misperception about our players' intentions in not taking the field for the National Anthem in Chicago. The intentions of Steelers players were to stay out of the business of making political statements by not taking the field. Unfortunately, that was interpreted as a boycott of the anthem – which was never our players' intention.

Our players come from many different backgrounds and are united by what it means to play for the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are active in their communities and participate regularly in events designed to give back to those communities. And they appreciate the support they get from Steelers fans around the country and here at home.

I also know that our players have tremendous respect for the members of our military services, including their teammate Alejandro Villanueva. There was never any desire on the part of our players to show disrespect for our service members.

Yesterday, I received an email from a Steelers fan who said tell the players to just play football. That is exactly what they wanted to do. They wanted their sole focus to be on playing the game, while also coming together as a unified team.

The main thing we can do is learn from this and strive to come together remaining unified as a football team. I believe we are capable of accomplishing this with the support of our fans.

Steelers Nation is made up of the best fans in the National Football League. We appreciate your continued support of our players, coaches and staff.

Sincerely,

Art Rooney, II
Pittsburgh Steelers

This is exactly what was reported since Sunday.

What's so ******* outrageous about it? That they didn't all take the field and stand and then summarily release any player who didn't?

What's so ******* outrageous about it?

Just reporting the news pot stirrer. Who said anything about outrageous? I've said in other forums since Sunday, what the Steelers did was not a political protest.

Art confirmed it.

If you do not want to make a political statement, go out on the field and stand for the anthem. Period. It really is, that simple.

But we know better.

Just reporting the news pot stirrer. Who said anything about outrageous? I've said in other forums since Sunday, what the Steelers did was not a political protest.

Art confirmed it.

There are many on this board who are saying they are done with the Steelers. I'm asking them.

There are many on this board who are saying they are done with the Steelers. I'm asking them.

You quoted me. Quote them if you want to speak to them or call them out.

If you do not want to make a political statement, go out on the field and stand for the anthem. Period. It really is, that simple.

And not by coincidence exactly what they had been doing prior to Trump offering his hypocritical critique and suggestion.

And not by coincidence exactly what they had been doing prior to Trump offering his hypocritical critique and suggestion.

Yeah. I know. I skewered Trump for getting involved. Argued with Tim about it for a while. You should have been there.

Yeah. I know. I skewered Trump for getting involved. Argued with Tim about it for a while. You should have been there.

Yep LOL.

To that point, people listened to Trump. Or it was going to go that way anyway. Game ratings started off ok for the 1PM games. Tanked the rest of the day. By the time SNF hit, they took an 11% drop in ratings over the prior year.

First Amendment baby. Players are kneeling and disrespecting the flag and Americans are responding as well with their free rights and turning their back on this circus. I watched the Steelers then the TVs went off. Screw the NFL and it's position on this. Protest all you want. Do it after the game. Do it in front of the White House. Don't do it at the expense of the flag and the anthem then tell me not to be offended by it. No different than telling a black person not to be offended being called the N word. I am offended by it and your words Roger don't change that because you say it shouldn't.

Then why have a problem with their non-participation? Taking the field and standing gives the appearance of doing what Trump said they should do and siding with him.

It's really not a 1st Amendment issue. The NFL consistently puts restrictions on "free speech" during games. They don't allow any uniform alterations unless they approve it. How is being restricted from putting a patch on your uniform to honor 9/11 different from being told you have to stand during the National Anthem?

How about just making a rule if you are ON THE FIELD you have to stand? If you don't want to stand, you have to stay in the locker room and come out inconspicuously? The NFL has a right NOT to have your kneeling by viewed by broadcasters to protect their interests. Maybe legally they can't make you cross your heart or stand but they can prohibit you from kneeling.

This is NOT a 1st amendment issue. Never ******* has been. If I see one more ******* moron on facebook and in the media try to convince me this is a free speech issue my head is going to explode.

Rant over....

Then why have a problem with their non-participation? Taking the field and standing gives the appearance of doing what Trump said they should do and siding with him.

Because it is the right thing to do. They should be on the field, thanking their lucky stars that they were born to such a great ******* country that they can play a child's game for tens of millions of dollars a year. I mean God forbid somebody agree with Trump that spoiled millionaire athletes should stand for the national anthem and find a different form of protest. The humanity.