• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Stupid Tomlin quote

Tomlin is a good coach. you cannot take that away. He had a winning season with some guy named Duck. He would be beloved in a town that cannot win dbl digit games year in year out.

But he is in Pitt and the expectation is Super Bowls not winning seasons. That is really the reason he is so hated. It is really that simple.
I do not think Tomlin is a good coach for multiple reasons. Good coaches don't do the same thing over and over when it is not working. He hasn't figured out timeout usage or reviews. In 17 years he also has no coaching tree. I think Tomlin is a good figure head as a coach and the players like him, but I do not think he has the X's and O's ability to be an NFL coach.

Yeah, and we keep hearing this "Oh, who would be better?" mantra. That completely ignores the fact that NFL teams have a lot more resources and information than we do.

Somehow, NFL franchises, many of them vastly less successful than the Steelers found guys like Andy Reid, Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Demeco Ryans and Sean McDermott.
One thing is for sure. In the modern NFL where offense and scoring points is the must they need to go with a proven play caller. Then you do not need to have a carousel of OCs. And unlike Tomlin with layers to hide behind. It is what it is. A grizzled DC that is willing to stay in that role is much easier to find.

Ben Johnson, Detroit's OC. He made an offense directed by Jared Goff into a powerhouse. Put him in charge before another NFL team grabs him and the Steelers miss out on yet another very good NFL coach.
Dude showed loyalty too returning to try to get the job done in Detroit even after being pursued for HC roles.

Wouldn't mind him getting a crack at it for better or worse.

Trade Mike for some picks to a team like Carolina that would absolutely love some mediocrity in their lives, then let Ben get some tools with said picks to run his offense.

Not sure how well BJ and AS would mesh as HC/OC but if AS has to kick bricks so be it.

Tomlin’s biggest issue imo is pure stubbornness. He won’t change things, prefers to run a boring, ground and pound offense that won’t use the entire field and relies on his defense. The problem with this philosophy it’s outdated by decades. The guy simply doesn’t know any other way to win and really cannot put his teams in a position to compete with the elite teams and really good teams. As long as he’s here his teams will be mediocre and finish in the middle.
Tomlin thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room, is stubborn and is more about proving he was right.
Been following the Steelers from waaay back, Bobby Layne, John Henry Johnson and I’ll tell ya boys, I’m close to checking out until things change.
To be honest every season for me I just don’t have confidence he can build and lead a team to a SB and a victory. Ask yourselves that question, do you trust him to do that?

Bobby Slowik, texans oc.
As long as Tomlin is HC, it won’t matter who the OC is. They are still running the same offense that Ben was forced to deal with. The ONLY difference is that Ben would do whatever he wanted when it was needed. The QB’s since Ben would be benched if they did that, and they know it. MAYBE Wilson could get away with that, but I don’t know whether he would do that looking for another deal.

As long as Tomlin is HC, it won’t matter who the OC is. They are still running the same offense that Ben was forced to deal with. The ONLY difference is that Ben would do whatever he wanted when it was needed. The QB’s since Ben would be benched if they did that, and they know it. MAYBE Wilson could get away with that, but I don’t know whether he would do that looking for another deal.
Ben drawing up unpracticed plays in the dirt and leading the team to all those comeback victories hid a lot of warts

Tomlin’s biggest issue imo is pure stubbornness. He won’t change things, prefers to run a boring, ground and pound offense that won’t use the entire field and relies on his defense. The problem with this philosophy it’s outdated by decades. The guy simply doesn’t know any other way to win and really cannot put his teams in a position to compete with the elite teams and really good teams. As long as he’s here his teams will be mediocre and finish in the middle.
Tomlin thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room, is stubborn and is more about proving he was right.
Been following the Steelers from waaay back, Bobby Layne, John Henry Johnson and I’ll tell ya boys, I’m close to checking out until things change.
To be honest every season for me I just don’t have confidence he can build and lead a team to a SB and a victory. Ask yourselves that question, do you trust him to do that?

Running the football will never be outdated,BUT they're not very good at running the football. You need a top tier RB and OL. They have part of the OL going, it's certainly a work in progress.

A dominant running game will open up the passing game.

The defense on the other hand isn't superbowl caliber until they get a DC. This running the same predictable crap for years on end is also an achilles heel in the playoffs.

Can you quit bringing exact stats into this? it is like you are a lawyer or something.

I still think if the Steeler parted ways with him, he would be snatched up in 2 seconds.

Hi schtick has run its course here. But other teams would love to have a guy that has never had a losing season. Our fans rightfully so want more.
Good, just as long as he's someone else's problem

Not quite, Blitz. Team went 8-8 that year.

Lots of non-double digit seasons under Tomlin - 2012, 2013, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022.

He is not hated so much as the subject of impatience and derision. He is the king of 9-8 or 10-7 and a blowout playoff loss. Seriously, the 5 highest number of points allowed in a playoff game by the Steelers ALL belong to one Mike Tomlin - supposedly a defensive-minded coach. The last good QB a Tomlin-led team beat in the playoffs was the 2008 SB and Kurt Warner.
Look at his pass defense ranking in MN in 2006.

Running the football will never be outdated,BUT they're not very good at running the football. You need a top tier RB and OL. They have part of the OL going, it's certainly a work in progress.

A dominant running game will open up the passing game.

The defense on the other hand isn't superbowl caliber until they get a DC. This running the same predictable crap for years on end is also an achilles heel in the playoffs.
Yep, they don’t have top tier rb, that’s for sure. Even with a top RB you can’t just play ball control in today’s NFL. Doesn’t work anymore, you have to be able to put up points quickly.

Yep, they don’t have top tier rb, that’s for sure. Even with a top RB you can’t just play ball control in today’s NFL. Doesn’t work anymore, you have to be able to put up points quickly.
Harris is a tip tier RB he just needs a line

Najee is a top tier back. He just needs the line to give him a hole.
TJ is not going to lead the league in sacks. dbl teamed and held every game. but he can still be in the running for DPY with all his other intangibles