• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Stupid Tomlin quote

No, he's not. Never has been. He's never had a "time". The overwhelming talent and veteran leadership hid his inability to coach the first 4 years. Colbert handed him a league leading 52 pro bowlers over 10 years after sb 45 loss. Look what he did with it. 3 playoff wins. Proof is in the pudding. This clown went 31st against the pass in MN as defensive coordinator in 2006. Nuff said. Dungy screwed us by convincing Rooney to hire this clown.

Yes hes above average.

Exactly. This is what I always say to the inevitable " Who are you going to get that's better?" question that comes my way. It's not about better, it's about different. You can get a guy that can produce the same slightly above .500 record but, maybe has a chance to get somewhere in the future.

And that " Never a losing season" stuff....how much did Ben have to do with carrying this team for how many of those seasons?

His last season here, BEN had 7 come from behind victories…………….. pretty sure that qualifies as at least 1 season…………

Salute the nation

Exactly. This is what I always say to the inevitable " Who are you going to get that's better?" question that comes my way. It's not about better, it's about different. You can get a guy that can produce the same slightly above .500 record but, maybe has a chance to get somewhere in the future.

And that " Never a losing season" stuff....how much did Ben have to do with carrying this team for how many of those seasons?
15 to be exact

No, he's not. Never has been. He's never had a "time". The overwhelming talent and veteran leadership hid his inability to coach the first 4 years. Colbert handed him a league leading 52 pro bowlers over 10 years after sb 45 loss. Look what he did with it. 3 playoff wins. Proof is in the pudding. This clown went 31st against the pass in MN as defensive coordinator in 2006. Nuff said. Dungy screwed us by convincing Rooney to hire this clown.
While I don’t totally disagree with your points, I still can recognize that Tomlin is an above average HC.

When you consider that “average” is a “C” letter grade, I would give Tomlin a solid B-. His philosophy holds him back from being a better HC, but at the same time it keeps him from being worse. His playing to not lose works more than it doesn’t, except when you are playing playoff quality teams.

I have called for his tenure to end for years, even while I am aware that it is possible that his replacement could end up being worse.

It’s not even a Tomlin issue anymore
It’s a Rooney issue

They made a rule and will stand by their dude forever. This year should’ve been the ultimatum year and resigning him only a product of some playoff success this year.

Alas they just hand him more years without proving he can still be relevant without a HOF QB.

He is firmly entrenched as long as he wants the job, screw what the fans see and think.

But similar to when a player is drafted too early the fans get mad at said player instead of those who over drafted the player, it is easier for fans to direct their angst at the easy target on the sidelines over the ones that brought/keep him here.
Deuce isn't going to be the Rooney who fires his team's first Rooney Rule hire.

Tomlin is an above average Head Coach. His time has passed, sometimes you just need change for a jump start.

Just like last night when Allen came into the game and made that pass. That was a shot across Fields’ bow. You know damn well that Fields in that moment knew he needed to play better, and he did, for a few plays. After a few plays you could see the change back to thinking “I’m good”, and his play went right back to being below the line. Fields is in the same situation as Pickett was, he has nobody challenging him. Wilson is not currently a threat, due to injury, and Allen is not because of his pedigree. If I was the HC, when Fields reverted after the spell by Allen, I would have pulled him and given Allen the rest of the game. This tends to light a fire under players, and Fields would have been told to earn the job back next week. I’m not saying I think Allen is better, just that too much has been handed to Fields this year without earning it.
Another one of Shades' problems is that once you're his guy you're his guy and he will stick with you even if you suck and there are better players.
Kendrick Green, Pressley Harvin III, Devin Bush, Jarvis Jones, and Jason Worilds say Hi.

While I don’t totally disagree with your points, I still can recognize that Tomlin is an above average HC.

When you consider that “average” is a “C” letter grade, I would give Tomlin a solid B-. His philosophy holds him back from being a better HC, but at the same time it keeps him from being worse. His playing to not lose works more than it doesn’t, except when you are playing playoff quality teams.

I have called for his tenure to end for years, even while I am aware that it is possible that his replacement could end up being worse.
Shades isn't a bad coach. Bad coaches don't go 17 years without a losing season, helped greatly by having the Browns, Bungles, and Lamar Jackson in his division.
But neither is he a great coach. Great coaches don't go 13 years with only 3 playoff wins, 2 of them over backup QB's and the other the Bungles self-destructed in the last five minutes and handed us on a silver platter.

Shades isn't a bad coach. Bad coaches don't go 17 years without a losing season, helped greatly by having the Browns, Bungles, and Lamar Jackson in his division.
But neither is he a great coach. Great coaches don't go 13 years with only 3 playoff wins, 2 of them over backup QB's and the other the Bungles self-destructed in the last five minutes and handed us on a silver platter.
Overrated ones do. That streak started in 2004 when Ben was drafted. Any coach could do what Tomlin has done and even better.

If he limps into the playoffs again and gets slobberknockered - again - his job isn't secured, no matter what you tell yourself. There is a limit.
This ****** is 3-8 in the postseason in 13 years.

So what's the "limit"?

Overrated ones do. That streak started in 2004 when Ben was drafted. Any coach could do what Tomlin has done and even better.
How you're rated doesn't have anything to do with your W/L record. You are what your record says you are, which is mediocre.
Above average in the regular season and sucks in the post season because he plays too conservative.

And yet the media seems to love him. Guessing it's because he's a likable guy. Personally I'd choose an ******* that wins over the nice guy that never had a losing season.

Wait, Tomlin's never had a losing season?!? I had never heard that before.

Just one more
These go to 11.
The Tomlin Fan Club is going to have a meltdown when the Raiders beat us this week.
Be all Arthur Smith's fault since he's the last white guy left.

Deuce isn't going to be the Rooney who fires his team's first Rooney Rule hire.

Another one of Shades' problems is that once you're his guy you're his guy and he will stick with you even if you suck and there are better players.
Kendrick Green, Pressley Harvin III, Devin Bush, Jarvis Jones, and Jason Worilds say Hi.
You forgot Dan Moore

Thank you Peezy!

Because the two first picks they drafted at LT to replace him did not get to play LT, including training camp, because Dan Moore has one leg shorter. SMH

Totally agree, there are a lot of things on this Coach Tomlin lead team that incorporate the LAw of self-induced issues.

Part of the problem is results NO PRO-action and more RE-action demonstration. Coach Bill Cowher was being interviewed and talked about the HARDEST part of being a head coach……. NO FRIENDS, You couldn’t have friends due to having to make the best decision based on the team improvement. Having “friends” put you in predicaments unfavorable to team advancement. His characterization of this makes a lot of sense and could be a factor in always RE-acting to the various problems on the team.

Salute the nation

Totally agree, there are a lot of things on this Coach Tomlin lead team that incorporate the LAw of self-induced issues.

Part of the problem is results NO PRO-action and more RE-action demonstration. Coach Bill Cowher was being interviewed and talked about the HARDEST part of being a head coach……. NO FRIENDS, You couldn’t have friends due to having to make the best decision based on the team improvement. Having “friends” put you in predicaments unfavorable to team advancement. His characterization of this makes a lot of sense and could be a factor in always RE-acting to the various problems on the team.

Salute the nation
Seen a lot of that over the years. Also, it's strange that when things on offense are allowed to open up, things get moving and result in points. But then it's back to the same 'ol.

As far as "friends" goes, there's been plenty of parents that try to be friends with their children rather than actually "parenting" them. They're scared to death to lay down the law. I've seen it with the in-laws of my family and it resulted in bad things happening with the children. Some very serious.

This ****** is 3-8 in the postseason in 13 years.

So what's the "limit"?
The first 17 years he was learning on the job as a HOF QB acted as his training wheels for most of them.

Surely he is ready to piss excellence now!

He’s obviously got it all figured out after pudding, paint, wine, cutting eyelids and hot dog ingredients

Obviously