• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

teacher “sick out,” closes schools

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
This is another event, in a series of events that just makes me sick to my stomach. If you haven't heard of this union loonery, let me help inform ya. First the title of the article ought to be pretty self explanatory... but there's more.

Detroit Public School Teacher ‘Sick Out‘ Underway

Nearly all schools in Detroit were closed Wednesday due to a massive teacher “sick out,” preventing students from attending class.

Teachers have complained about over-crowded classrooms, poor school conditions, and dissatisfaction with the idea of charter school growth in Michigan.

OK, let's pause here. I contend that the over-crowded classrooms and poor school conditions are the fault of the very teachers that are complaining. More over, the real complaint is indeed the evil "charter school growth in Michigan".

To prove it, let's look at their funding.

* Lack of progress is due not to a lack of resources in Detroit public schools, which spend roughly $16,000 per pupil per year. ( the national average is $10,667 )

* About 75 percent of the annual District budget goes toward paying employees covered by its current collective bargaining agreement for teachers.

* Out of a new $7,450-per-pupil grant the Detroit school district will receive this year, $4,400 will be spent on debt servicing and benefits for teachers who have retired.

* DPS has a debt of over $3.5 billion, which includes unfunded pension liabilities.

The real kick in the nuts here is....

Meanwhile, 46,000 kids are unable to attend school in Detroit.

Among those 46,000, it’s likely that less than 4,000 of them can read proficiently. According to the U.S. Department of Education, just 8 percent of Detroit eighth-graders can read proficiently. Eight percent.

And just seven in 10 students graduate.

No small wonder these teachers unions go all radical about charter schools.

Alright, that's my rant. I don't know the answer but maybe they can begin by considering how to tackle the barriers to school choice that currently exist in the state....and around the Country for that matter.

Government employees should have NEVER been allowed to unionize, period. It's a ******* joke.

Only because of an executive order signed by JFK. It can be reversed. Be good times.

Not ALL gov't employees can unionize. Military can't.

18 years a teacher. Not any more. Here's my take -

The unions have teamed up with the libs to take the "Government is the fix for all problems, perceived or real" crowd. It messed a lot up. That is why the spending on pensions (probably deserved) and other nonsense is a bad joke.

The "Big government is our savior" crowd spends money on stupid stuff, and has little money (none really) to do what it should, like paying teachers, and lightening their load.

The "Govenrment education is the only good type of education" crowd uses such stupid educational assumptions that education no longer is really about education. There is a lot of social engineering and data driven stupid stuff, that kids don't know what the constitution says, how to do basic math, and speak and write like non-cavemen should. They can sure buy drugs and have opinions about Justin Beeber, though.

The "spend more money and fix problems" crowd has created such a sacred black hole in education that sucks money and common sense right out of the reality of education, so that this leviathan is now killing itself. This is what small government/spend less folks warned of.

The only fix is to let it all fall and start over.

I miss teaching. I don't miss education.

I didn't mean they all could, just that none of them should be able. My Dad was Army 37 years :).

I misread your original quote. Went back and read it again and I have no idea how I could have misinterpreted that...lol. My apologies.

And? Unions were great back when they were needed.

OK, but as a teacher and a conservative, I was not liked. One principal in So Cal tried to get me fired for not embracing his "constructionist" teaching philosophy - it means "kids construct their own learning." He would have succeeded had the union not told the district to shut the guy up.

Here in WY I ran into the same thing. But, this is a right-to-work state. It worked. I got fed up with it, and now drive a truck. No worries about that nonsense anymore.

Unions are for incompetent people who can't function on their own. It's a racket.

Or competent professionals who are trying to support their families, but have idiot bosses.

Typical union thinking, I'm not going to find a better job for myself, I'm entitled to get more from my current employer.

Unions are for incompetent people who can't function on their own. It's a racket.

That's what they have morphed into. Back in the late 1800's and into the mid 1900's, labor took a beating, literally, from such entities as the coal and Iron police and were forced to work under slave like conditions for almost no wages or benefits. Unions were the result of that abuse, mostly from the RR and coal industry's .

The labor laws of today make unions a questionable entity at best. As of 1938 when the Fair Labor Standards Act[29] was passed, unions went progressively more political and employees got less for their involvement. In fact, the Landrum-Griffin Act of 1959, was enacted to help protect employees from the unions...full circle.

That's what they have morphed into. Back in the late 1800's and into the mid 1900's, labor took a beating, literally, from such entities as the coal and Iron police and were forced to work under slave like conditions for almost no wages or benefits. Unions were the result of that abuse, mostly from the RR and coal industry's .

The labor laws of today make unions a questionable entity at best. As of 1938 when the Fair Labor Standards Act[29] was passed, unions went progressively more political and employees got less for their involvement. In fact, the Landrum-Griffin Act of 1959, was enacted to help protect employees from the unions...full circle.

The Steelworkers and UAW are a friggin joke. I've never had to deal with the Teamsters.

Whatever.

So this is 1920; there is only one factory in town the town was built around the factory, people can't commute to work or telecommute, they don't have other viable employment options.

Whatever, indeed.

I don't think there is anything wrong with unions and professional associations in the modern world. However, they do need to be transparent. If they are making political contributions in the name of their members, that needs to be clear. They shouldn't be in the business of funding political parties for sweet heart deals for leaders and backroom politics at contract time. A teacher is a very political position where a teacher can be easily targeted by a parent with an unfair axe to grind. School boards asking for more and more from its employees.

Some of the classroom conditions were deplorable. Leaking sewage, bad heating systems, etc. Still the responsibility is to the children and this type of action isn't good.

So this is 1920; there is only one factory in town the town was built around the factory, people can't commute to work or telecommute, they don't have other viable employment options.

Whatever, indeed.

OK. Thanks for the enlightenment.

My whatever stands.

I don't think there is anything wrong with unions and professional associations in the modern world. However, they do need to be transparent. If they are making political contributions in the name of their members, that needs to be clear. They shouldn't be in the business of funding political parties for sweet heart deals for leaders and backroom politics at contract time.

On this, we can agree. Unions for plumbers, electricians, etc. used to (I think still do) include some educational component. So, when you saw Master electrician it meant (or means something).

I don't like the positions where you have to be in a union to work in that industry/company. I think of these when I think of the automobile industry in certain parts of the country or airline industry.

Its easy to get rid of unions. Treat your employees great. Costco has no Unions because they treat non-management staff very well and work hard to make them feel as though they have a stake in the company. Walmart on the other hand, bottom feeds and makes people feel lucky to have one of the shitiest jobs on the market.