• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Teams Calling Steelers about Chase Claypool?

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Every NFL team in the league would be calling the Pittsburgh Steelers if Chase Claypool was on the trading block. His stock is low right now. Teams would be silly not to inquire about the second-year receiver. But that doesn’t mean the Steelers should answer the phone.

Always great having @JFowlerESPN on @937thefan. He says agents he's talked to think Chase Claypool is a player that the Steelers will get trade calls on this off-season. Teams will be looking to buy low because of the maturity issues.

— Andrew Fillipponi (@ThePoniExpress) February 10, 2022

Claypool is coming off an underwhelming, and emotional season. SteelerNation as a whole was frustrated by Claypool’s antics, and on-field performance. Whether it was the selfish “me first” celebrations at inopportune times, (see Vikings game) or his consistent falling down on routes that could’ve been game changing plays.

Maybe it was the way he tried to defend his actions in Minnesota during that two minute drive:

"The ball got knocked out of my hands. That's what cost us time.”

Chase Claypool on his late celebration during the Steelers' loss to the Vikingspic.twitter.com/haMI5Jkm3l

— B/R Gridiron (@brgridiron) December 10, 2021

Regardless, Claypool showed growth and signs of maturity in the final weeks. It was Claypool that hauled in the go-ahead touchdown in Baltimore. He finally was taking advantage of his time on the field. A player that everyone thought would never leave the field heading into the season found himself buried on the depth chart behind Ray-Ray McCloud in some situations.

Week 15, Claypool had two targets and zero receptions. That may have been the moment he grew up. The following four weeks, he hauled in 15 receptions with the aforementioned touchdown in Baltimore. The post play antics weren’t as apparent, the mental errors were gone, and he made the plays when he was called upon.

Trading Claypool would have no benefit for the Steelers. They’re already likely losing JuJu Smith-Schuster, and James Washington to free agency. Ray-Ray McCloud is also a free agent, but is likely to return. That would leave the team with only Diontae Johnson if Claypool would be banished.

Quietly Claypool hauled in 59 receptions for 860 yards this season. Three receptions, and 13-yards short of his 2020 campaign. But he did that in one less game. Frankly, I’m shocked he nearly mirrored his rookie numbers considering how I can’t think of many games where he made any impact. In 2020, he was a freak of nature. He appeared destined for greatness. But sometimes reading the newspaper clippings gets in the head of these athletes. Claypool seemed full of himself by 2020 season’s end. That rolled right into 2021. But it seems like he’s growing. Maturing.

You’d like to see a little more decisiveness from Chase Claypool here on the fourth TD celebration, but hey, the guy’s a rookie and actually made a great adjustment to the stick’um move at the last minute pic.twitter.com/22lUG6qhU4

— Brian Batko (@BrianBatko) October 11, 2020

There is really zero point in trading Claypool with his value at an all-time low, and the Steelers need for so many other areas. Even if you’d acquire much needed draft pick capital, you’d be forced to reinvest it into the position. Claypool has all the tools needed to become a big time threat on the field for the Steelers’ next starting quarterback. Hopefully he will mature into that player, because the Steelers are going to need it, and SteelerNation will warm back up to it with each touchdown.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

They are losing most likely JuJu and for sure James Washington and maybe Ray Ray. That leaves Dionte and Chase and Anthony Miller who signed a futures. If you’re going to trade Chase then don’t give him away. I think maybe you work with him this year on his route running and hope that he matures. I wouldn’t be too quick to pull the trigger on him.
We do need to either draft or sign a receiver with real speed. We’re missing that badly.

If I was offered a chance to move up to possibly take Willis in the second round then I would do it.

Seeing it speculated on The Fan's FB page about trading him to SF for Jimmy G. I wasn't a fan of getting Jimmy G but that's an idea I might get behind.

Seeing it speculated on The Fan's FB page about trading him to SF for Jimmy G. I wasn't a fan of getting Jimmy G but that's an idea I might get behind.
No not Claypool but I will give them Bush and throw in coach Canada for uh uh good measure. Then they will have uh uh weapons on both side of the ball. 😬

No not Claypool but I will give them Bush and throw in coach Canada for uh uh good measure. Then they will have uh uh weapons on both side of the ball. 😬

Canada would probably net a 3rd just to take hi back..............

Salute the nation

Jimmy G. with an OL that can't pass protect OR run block and DJ as the only proven receiver on the roster. Brutal scenario for any QB.

The Steelers tend to trade low on players in tomlins tenure… for instance AB… they knew he was a growing issue, yet traded him when he was forcing their hand….
They kept Santonio a year to long too… but with Claypool they really should not be looking at moving him… for all his problems, he still was one of the best wr2 guys in the league and is young enough to turn things around quickly…

You don’t trade a guy with his talent because after his sophomore season he is immature… thats silly even when you aren’t shallow at the postion

I think I would get rid of him. It isn't a talent issue. He's got million dollar talent. But it's the 10 cent head.

My point is the Steelers (if you still can today) have to begin to develop a team of tough, hardnosed players who love football, even if they aren't the most physically gifted. Get back to that. Once that is established again, then maybe take a chance on highly highly talented but immature. With that kind of team surrounding him, the immature nonsense maybe doesn't fester through the team as much.

Claypool isn't going anywhere unless they have JuJu and DJ signed. It would be dumb to let your No. 2 WR go - especially someone who still has tremendous upside. Claypool is still a physical freak. He just needs to get past the sophomore slump and I think he will. He has all the tools.

Claypool is playing more like Limas Sweed and less like Calvin Johnson…. He needs to get his head together and focus before he wastes his physical talent

I think I would get rid of him. It isn't a talent issue. He's got million dollar talent. But it's the 10 cent head.

My point is the Steelers (if you still can today) have to begin to develop a team of tough, hardnosed players who love football, even if they aren't the most physically gifted. Get back to that. Once that is established again, then maybe take a chance on highly highly talented but immature. With that kind of team surrounding him, the immature nonsense maybe doesn't fester through the team as much.

Of course you can build a team of tough guys. You certainly have to do your homework and look in the right places. You need guys who won't slack just because they all of a sudden became rich. I see Heyward,Watt,Harris and Freiermuth as the type of Steelers I'd use as a gauge. Harris being the most impressive with what he had to fight through to keep pushing forward. Big heart and will power.

I'm sure they have some other guys on the team like that, but those guys stand out for what this team needs. That's everyone functioning as ONE big badass machine.

That's championship level in the ultimate team sport.

The Steelers tend to trade low on players in tomlins tenure… for instance AB… they knew he was a growing issue, yet traded him when he was forcing their hand….
They kept Santonio a year to long too… but with Claypool they really should not be looking at moving him… for all his problems, he still was one of the best wr2 guys in the league and is young enough to turn things around quickly…

You don’t trade a guy with his talent because after his sophomore season he is immature… thats silly even when you aren’t shallow at the postion

ABSOLUTELY, Claypool has already started turning it around at the end of the season. I just hope he can catch on with a good off-season workout mentor of some kind.

Hines,................ can you hear me ?

Salute the nation

NOTE: The only ones thinking the STEELERS are going to trade Chase Claypool are the original rumor spreader talking head and those other talking heads that re-gurgitate for clicks. Their opinions blow chunks and mean less than a twenty dollar ***** with used condoms.

Claypool is going nowhere, end of click bait story.

Salute the nation

Claypoole has size but has not shown he is willing to put it all on the line to catch balls. He seems to want to be a clown with all the antics than to get better as a top receiver. He has not shown any improvement this year, yes at end he made a few more catches but how many related to a key situation when game was on the line not at end where it was catch up time

I've never seen a guy fall down so much while trying to make a contested catch. Hopefully year three will be a true breakout year for Claypool. We need him to be a star.

Agreed and disagree on the talent. He doesnt have million dollar talent. Claypool cannot come down with contested catches. There are times he can stretch the field. There are times he can get separation. There are no times in which his speed will burn a defense by taking it to the house. This is an issue.

But, Claypool is a tall guy who scares absolutely no one. There are no safeties who know Claypool's or Diontae's name. Why is that? Cause neither one has done one damn thing.

Every NFL team in the league would be calling the Pittsburgh Steelers if Chase Claypool was on the trading block. His stock is low right now. Teams would be silly not to inquire about the second-year receiver. But that doesn’t mean the Steelers should answer the phone.

Claypool is coming off an underwhelming, and emotional season. SteelerNation as a whole was frustrated by Claypool’s antics, and on-field performance. Whether it was the selfish “me first” celebrations at inopportune times, (see Vikings game) or his consistent falling down on routes that could’ve been game changing plays.

Maybe it was the way he tried to defend his actions in Minnesota during that two minute drive:

Regardless, Claypool showed growth and signs of maturity in the final weeks. It was Claypool that hauled in the go-ahead touchdown in Baltimore. He finally was taking advantage of his time on the field. A player that everyone thought would never leave the field heading into the season found himself buried on the depth chart behind Ray-Ray McCloud in some situations.

Week 15, Claypool had two targets and zero receptions. That may have been the moment he grew up. The following four weeks, he hauled in 15 receptions with the aforementioned touchdown in Baltimore. The post play antics weren’t as apparent, the mental errors were gone, and he made the plays when he was called upon.

Trading Claypool would have no benefit for the Steelers. They’re already likely losing JuJu Smith-Schuster, and James Washington to free agency. Ray-Ray McCloud is also a free agent, but is likely to return. That would leave the team with only Diontae Johnson if Claypool would be banished.

Quietly Claypool hauled in 59 receptions for 860 yards this season. Three receptions, and 13-yards short of his 2020 campaign. But he did that in one less game. Frankly, I’m shocked he nearly mirrored his rookie numbers considering how I can’t think of many games where he made any impact. In 2020, he was a freak of nature. He appeared destined for greatness. But sometimes reading the newspaper clippings gets in the head of these athletes. Claypool seemed full of himself by 2020 season’s end. That rolled right into 2021. But it seems like he’s growing. Maturing.

There is really zero point in trading Claypool with his value at an all-time low, and the Steelers need for so many other areas. Even if you’d acquire much needed draft pick capital, you’d be forced to reinvest it into the position. Claypool has all the tools needed to become a big time threat on the field for the Steelers’ next starting quarterback. Hopefully he will mature into that player, because the Steelers are going to need it, and SteelerNation will warm back up to it with each touchdown.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..They need a 4th round pick so if they can get it do it.

ABSOLUTELY, Claypool has already started turning it around at the end of the season. I just hope he can catch on with a good off-season workout mentor of some kind.

Hines,................ can you hear me ?

Salute the nation
I wonder how long his new approach will last? Seriously, if he does a celebration of some sort after a TD...... fine. After every play was just horrible. His first catch of the season was a 5 or 6 yard out for a first down and you would have thought he just catch the winning TD pass of a SB or something. If he would have concentrated on catching the high point of a 50/50 ball thrown his way instead of what celebration he could do next he might have had a very special season instead of a subpar one.

I wonder how long his new approach will last? Seriously, if he does a celebration of some sort after a TD...... fine. After every play was just horrible. His first catch of the season was a 5 or 6 yard out for a first down and you would have thought he just catch the winning TD pass of a SB or something. If he would have concentrated on catching the high point of a 50/50 ball thrown his way instead of what celebration he could do next he might have had a very special season instead of a subpar one.

I hear yaz stillwright but it has to start somewhere and end last season was when it started, I HOPE.

Like I said, this off season will be very significant for hi, career-wise. It would be nice for hi to pair up with someone very agressive.

Get our receivers coach to be very coachable agressive, show hi the fine line of high-pointing / body positioning / attitude......

(I swear Ike Hillard helped them figure out their celebrations instead of basic muscle receptions)

Salute the nation

Claypool isn’t going anywhere
I know. And I would rather he stay and grow up. I have just don't hav e a lot of confidence that some of these guys can, which is why I think they should try to get rid of him and try to bring in more mature, tough minded guys...if there are enough of those type of guys anymore.

I look at the last two times Steelers won the Super Bowl. They didn't have that off the charts athletic wide receiver, and they won. I am tired of these athletic prima donnas. I really think you can win without them.

I know. And I would rather he stay and grow up. I have just don't hav e a lot of confidence that some of these guys can, which is why I think they should try to get rid of him and try to bring in more mature, tough minded guys...if there are enough of those type of guys anymore.

I look at the last two times Steelers won the Super Bowl. They didn't have that off the charts athletic wide receiver, and they won. I am tired of these athletic prima donnas. I really think you can win without them.
It’s a different generation and different era. This isn’t just a Claypool thing or a Steelers or nfl thing. Most young kids today are glued into promoting themselves. And I say good for them. It’s an entrepreneurial spirit and hopefully some young kid uses that to benefit society.

The mature and tough minded players you speak of. TJ Watt, Cam Heyward etc. They’re a rarity.

Sports isn’t just that big of a priority anymore with the younger crowd. Players included. Players retire early after that guaranteed money. Why limp into retirement with CTE, ****** up shoulders, knees, etc? Some here like the legacy and the history, but the smart and realistic thing is make the guaranteed contract so you and yours are set in retirement(granted you know how to manage the money).

I want the Steelers to win too, but I don’t put expectations on them. I don’t hold these players to some moral duty. That’s Art’s and Tomlin’s call who they choose to keep based on behavior.

The nfl is just catered to a different fan now. And Claypool’s “maturity” issues are common

It’s a different generation and different era. This isn’t just a Claypool thing or a Steelers or nfl thing. Most young kids today are glued into promoting themselves. And I say good for them. It’s an entrepreneurial spirit and hopefully some young kid uses that to benefit society.

The mature and tough minded players you speak of. TJ Watt, Cam Heyward etc. They’re a rarity.

Sports isn’t just that big of a priority anymore with the younger crowd. Players included. Players retire early after that guaranteed money. Why limp into retirement with CTE, ****** up shoulders, knees, etc? Some here like the legacy and the history, but the smart and realistic thing is make the guaranteed contract so you and yours are set in retirement(granted you know how to manage the money).

I want the Steelers to win too, but I don’t put expectations on them. I don’t hold these players to some moral duty. That’s Art’s and Tomlin’s call who they choose to keep based on behavior.

The nfl is just catered to a different fan now. And Claypool’s “maturity” issues are common
I totally agree with that. I'm not saying that because I have some moral axe to grind, I just think those kind of guys, if you can get enough of them, still win.

Reactions: MTC