• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Biden Crime Family - Exposed

Will it shut down automatically if it gets too hot or only fire so many rounds within a set amount of time?
there's pedal thats used for actuation in ops. there's a scale for rounds/time = hot gun. it can get borked if the operator tries firing it if the barrel has closed in if they didn't pay attention to hot gun. it'll also spit out all the allotted ammo pretty quick. few hundred rounds gone in a flash, so it's actually kinda hard to shoot too many rounds through it before reload. usually a good time for barrel changing, it's really meant as an intercept for inbound air threats, so it's meant to shoot in targeted scatter patterns against high velocity airborne targets. never saw an issue with hot gun in xops. i mean, it would make short work of a terrorist attack from a small manned vessel, but those are really more of a threat in port. i don't remember all the failsafe features as it's a fire controlman weapon, not a gunner's mate weapon. we're just in the same division(platoon), so i just know it from cross training.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMM
the ciws sounds like an actual lawn mower when it fires, but thats an FC rate weapon, GMs don't handle those other than to help out other guns div peeps.

giphy-downsized.gif
Glad to see they got the bugs worked out in that system. Our yard period in 84 they replaced our Sea Sparrow launcher with the “New” CIWS Platform. In the 2 years I was onboard after that, that system was down constantly. Good thing we were not in a situation where we needed it.

i think the a-10 "gatling guns" shoot a bigger round. ciws is 20mm. it's really meant as a surface to air weapon.
The A-10 uses a GAU-8 Avenger 30mm gatling gun. Anyone who has ever heard it never forgets the sound, that's for sure. 3900-4200 rounds per minute. oooof.

The A-10 uses a GAU-8 Avenger 30mm gatling gun. Anyone who has ever heard it never forgets the sound, that's for sure. 3900-4200 rounds per minute. oooof.
I remember someone who worked on the A10 saying it was basically a gun with wings, a couple engines and landing gear. 🤣

Glad to see they got the bugs worked out in that system. Our yard period in 84 they replaced our Sea Sparrow launcher with the “New” CIWS Platform. In the 2 years I was onboard after that, that system was down constantly. Good thing we were not in a situation where we needed it.
They used a similar weapon around some of the FOBs in Afghanistan. Called it a C-RAM. They had to use a special exploding round so that the rounds didn't impact local villages. It was pretty effective, the only issue is that a lot of times the incoming rocket or whatever would simply be deflected and end up hitting something inside the base. On my final tour in 2018, the deflected projectiles into the PX and a barracks building that was adjacent to ours. Fortunately, no one was hurt.

I remember someone who worked on the A10 saying it was basically a gun with wings, a couple engines and landing gear. 🤣
One of the best, if not the best, close air support assets our military has ever had.