• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Super Bowl that Terry Bradshaw “lost”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Just three days before the Pittsburgh Steelers faced off against the Los Angeles Rams in Super Bowl XIV, Terry Bradshaw suffered a setback. While in a coffee shop near the team hotel in Newport Beach, Bradshaw lost 16 tickets to the Super Bowl as he was mobbed by the autograph seekers.

Bradshaw was easily the most recognizable and arguably most popular player in the NFL at the time and was approached by an autograph seeker asking for him to sign autographs for her kids. At the time, Bradshaw was carrying a folder which included the team playbook, and of course, the Super Bowl tickets. As Bradshaw began to oblige, his arm was tugged by the woman and with that all the contents of the folder fell out onto the floor.

Terry Bradshaw, per the Indianapolis Recorder:

A lady wanted me to sign some autographs for her kids. She pulled at my arm and I dropped the folder. Everything fell out, I picked it back up but forgot the Super Bowl tickets were in there.

By the time he picked everything back up, the tickets, intended for family and friends, were gone. No one knows who exactly stole the tickets or what they did with them afterwards.

At the time, tickets were legitimately sold for $30-$80 each. The estimated value of the 16 tickets at scalpers’ rates was more than $2000. While this may seem like an insignificant amount of money today, in January of 1980 one could buy a brand new car for less than that amount.

Super-14-Tickets-169x300.jpg

Considering Super Bowl XIV set the attendance record of 103,985 that stands to this day, it’s probably safe to say that it was a profitable endeavor for the person who stole the tickets.

Bradshaw did not realize until later that the Super Bowl tickets were missing. Fortunately for Bradshaw and the Steelers, it didn’t faze him as he threw for 309 yards, 2 TDs, and was named MVP en route to winning the Steelers their 4th Super Bowl championship.

Of course, it would not be the last incident regarding tickets to a Steelers Super Bowl, as the Super Bowl XLV fiasco resulting from incomplete installation 15,000 temporary seats in order to break the record set by Super Bowl XIV resulted in nearly 3,000 ticket holders unreasonably relocated and/or delayed from their seats and roughly 434 ticket holders without a seat altogether.

Share your Super Bowl attendance memories or leave a comment below.

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Man how messed up is that. SMH.