• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The truth about the ghetto

The military is one option. They'll be happy to have you, you can learn a skill, and they'll pay for college if you want to go. I will note that decades ago when we had a military draft we didn't have as many problems in urban areas because most young men between 18 and 21, your *** was in the Army whether you wanted to be there or not. A bunch of my uncles and my brother-in-law were in the Army and ain't a one of them signed up on purpose.

I come from a poor steel mill family in Johnstown, Pa. By the time 1991 rolled around and I graduated HS the mills weren't hiring and the mines were All shut down. I went to a scrub HS in the middle of a farm field and no way of going to college. I joined the military and was able to get some college completed, and learned a great trade. I had every reason to fall in line with all the other poor white people in the community and go find a job paying $8-9 an hour, breKing my back and dealing with constant layoffs and the hassle of unemployment checks and gov assistance. I grew up with that **** and I didn't want to deal with it anymore. So Ron is right, if you want to get out of poverty you need a plan to get out and do it.

But I think we need to recall that a slave trade existed in Africa before white men set foot there. That does not excuse the ignorance or sinfulness of white people getting involved with it but let's not pretend they invented it either.

The sinfulness and ignorance not just of white people but of black people, who captured other black people and sold them into slavery...the Arabs who were in the slave business long before whitey, the Japs...every freaking body.

I come from a poor steel mill family in Johnstown, Pa. By the time 1991 rolled around and I graduated HS the mills weren't hiring and the mines were All shut down. I went to a scrub HS in the middle of a farm field and no way of going to college. I joined the military and was able to get some college completed, and learned a great trade. I had every reason to fall in line with all the other poor white people in the community and go find a job paying $8-9 an hour, breKing my back and dealing with constant layoffs and the hassle of unemployment checks and gov assistance. I grew up with that **** and I didn't want to deal with it anymore. So Ron is right, if you want to get out of poverty you need a plan to get out and do it.
Do you know where Johnstown Wire is? Those ******* need to buy my chemicals but their heads are preoccupied with their *****.

So you're saying there are poor white people in communities with little opportunity? That doesn't sound right. Bomma frowns upon this.

Ahhhh, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up.

Ok, point taken; but, again - I never lived in the ghetto, so I can't answer the questions as to "why" one cannot get out.

Here are a few points to ponder:

1. Considering the conditions and way of life, in the ghetto and trailer park for that matter, what do you propose as an avenue for folks less fortunate to guarantee "a way out"??? Some get out, but, can be pulled back in because of loose morals and the mismanagement of monies gained - ie. athletes, music stars/movie stars

2. Let's take a quick look at a two-time 100 million dollar man - Michael Vick. Did he grow up in the ghetto? I don't know, but, using a bit of logic - I can say that Mike Vick made very bad decisions because he "could let go" of his past and his pre-NFL friends. He'll retire soon and he paid a big price for those decisions. The point is - not everyone will get that opportunity - more probable that not (see what I did there), the "crabs in a barrel" effect will drag the star back down to earth...

3. My uncle, Dr. Benjamin Carson, was raised in the ghetto. His mother had a very strong Christian set of standards and morals as well as high expectations for her children to "do better than she did" in life (my grandparents and parents had the same philosophy). We all know what has become of Dr. Carson and how he achieved his goals. The question I pose to you is - how many succeed vs. the failure rate??? How many fall by the wayside because they get fed up that momma has 4 jobs and she's hardly at home to raise said child? How many fall by the wayside because they're in schools were "teachers just don't give a damn about Shaquille"??

You see, IMO, the past does affect one's future. So of us are just so broken inside that there isn't a positive bone in their body - life, to them, has been hell and always will be hell because - Johnny doesn't have collateral to get a home outside of the ghetto because Johnny has a thin credit file and because of this thin credit file his APR is over 25% for all purchases. This means that Johnny is paying twice as long as Mr. or Mrs. Suburbia to pay off his home or car. Johnny can't get an American Express or Discover card because he doesn't have enough income to substantiate the issuance of a CC to a "risky customer". So, Johnny does what he has to do to survive...his children learn this methodology and lifestyle and they learn to survive...Do you see the vicious cycle?".

The only thing you left out is that its the fault of the white man. A lot of what you're saying is cop out bullshit. The bottom line... the socio-economic conditions blacks find themselves in are nobodys fault but their own.. Since 1964 every social program imaginable since has been created to help black. No concept of responsibility or accountably. Fatherless homes can be linked to crime, drug use, etc

Regardless of my education or status quo - there are unconscionable actions that happen to me, and those of a darker hue than tan, because of said hue...

Real life situation that happened to me at 60 Wall Street - in my office (Deutsche Bank):

Imagine lining up to get on an elevator - in a mixed crowd. Being the gentleman that I am, I let those in front of me get on first and the ladies. Impressive, no??? It's now my turn to get in the elevator. In front of me, and the elevator IS NOT crowded (maybe 6 people max), stand two women of that wonderful pinkish hue..."Good Afternoon", I say as I enter - neither wanting to move but then suddenly they clutch their purses and part like the Red Sea. To say I was pissed off would be an understatement. As the ladies go off on the next stop I stated, "Ladies, I do not need your money or your negative attitude to wreck my God-given day. God Bless you both and, again, Good Afternoon"...

Do you blame them? This is the image your people have brought onto society. When all you see on TV are black faces being arrested for crimes what do you expect?

1zdrdeh.jpg

Last edited:
I find it odd that Asians who arrived in the USA less than 40 years ago from Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia without even speaking the language are doing so well. I mean if we are so racist why aren't we oppressing those folks?

I find it odd that Asians who arrived in the USA less than 40 years ago from Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia without even speaking the language are doing so well. I mean if we are so racist why aren't we oppressing those folks?
For the same reason that there aren't any Jewish point guards in the NBA.

Do you know where Johnstown Wire is? Those ******* need to buy my chemicals but their heads are preoccupied with their *****.

I do; fortunately, I left that hell hole and moved to an area with jobs, culture, and something to do other than get drunk, get high, and hang out outside of a Sheetz staring at parked cars. It doesn't surprize me that they aren't buying your chemicals though, profit margins aren't exactly in the positive around there.

So you're saying there are poor white people in communities with little opportunity? That doesn't sound right. Bomma frowns upon this.

White people dont have to live in Ghettos or trailer parks to be "poor", Many rural areas like my home town have people living in tents or shacks in the middle of the woods. My family lived in a little ranch house on an acre on a back road in BFE. My mom worked in a sweatshop sewing underwear and my old man was a steel mill worker and they did their best to make ends meet. But I've stood with them in the unemployment lines, Listened to my parents tell stories of their Union Strikes, carried bags of food provided by food banks and local churches, and I can tell you first hand that there is nothing worse than trying to spread government peanut butter on a slice of bread. That **** is cement, I swear!

I grow tired of minorities making excuses and playing race cards as a means of justifying their collective laziness all while blaming others for their plight. Poverty isn't a race thing, it's a bit of circumstance, poor decisions, and bad luck. Only the strong survive this madness and you got to be willing to fight for every damn thing you can. Earn it. Surround yourself with good people, make good decisions, and even when Rome is burning you have to step back and admire the beauty in it.

The military is one option. They'll be happy to have you, you can learn a skill, and they'll pay for college if you want to go. I will note that decades ago when we had a military draft we didn't have as many problems in urban areas because most young men between 18 and 21, your *** was in the Army whether you wanted to be there or not. A bunch of my uncles and my brother-in-law were in the Army and ain't a one of them signed up on purpose.

I agree w/ both of you; but, as you know---the military isn't the answer for everyone. As a vet and an Army SSG I can say that I had quite a few soldiers from various backgrounds and demographics who simply "failed" when the poop hit the fan...

The only thing you left out is that its the fault of the white man. A lot of what you're saying is cop out bullshit. The bottom line... the socio-economic conditions blacks find themselves in are nobodys fault but their own.. Since 1964 every social program imaginable since has been created to help black. No concept of responsibility or accountably. Fatherless homes can be linked to crime, drug use, etc

Do you blame them? This is the image your people have brought onto society. When all you see on TV are black faces being arrested for crimes what do you expect?

1zdrdeh.jpg

I really don't even know what to say to you Stewey. Really I don't.

It is quite evident that you have a problem w/ less fortunate African-American (maybe even some that are doing as well as you or better), but, I won't get sucked into your negative "blackhole"...

I agree w/ both of you; but, as you know---the military isn't the answer for everyone. As a vet and an Army SSG I can say that I had quite a few soldiers from various backgrounds and demographics who simply "failed" when the poop hit the fan...

There are plenty of back end jobs for people who dont have any mustard. Supply, Transportation, Dining Hall, Mechanics, Welders, etc. Many of these jobs translate directly to the civilian world. Buddy of mine in the AIr Force was in Trans driving all type of equipment and now works in Fort Worth driving truck to the air port. He got out of his hill billy hell and makes about 80K a year. There are also plenty of grants for minorities at JUCOs and Community Colleges as a start and students can move up to major universities. My grades and SAT score didn't allow me to go right for a major college, and I had to take 20 hours at City Colleges of Chicago before transferring my credits to University of Maryland. Like I said, You do what you gotta do. People need to quit *****'n

Had to post this...My all time favorite movie quote. When Sly Stallone went off on his son in the middle of the street with this tyrade I jumped to my feet and yelled. It's like my life's motto was told to the world.

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place, and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward; how much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done! Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you wanna be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that! I'm always gonna love you, no matter what. No matter what happens. You're my son and you're my blood. You're the best thing in my life. But until you start believing in yourself, you ain't gonna have a life.”
― Sylvester Stallone, Rocky Balboa

But I think we need to recall that a slave trade existed in Africa before white men set foot there. That does not excuse the ignorance or sinfulness of white people getting involved with it but let's not pretend they invented it either.

zI0xrlw.jpg

CiURy0F.jpg

wdvVcWy.png