• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The “What Would Matt Do?” Mock

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
As we’ve been going through the NFL Draft season, there’s been plenty of mock drafts being posted on what people think the Pittsburgh Steelers will do. The team has a lot of holes to fill and there are a lot of prospects that they have been rumored to have their eyes on.

Here I am taking a different approach, letting everyone know what I would do if I were Pittsburgh. This likely won’t align with what the Steelers end up doing (because they almost never do what I want), but let’s take a look at what I would do if I was in General Manager, Kevin Colbert‘s shoes.

Round One, TRADE BACK. Send Green Bay Packers #24, 2022 4th Round Pick. Receive #29, #92, 2022 5th Round Pick. Select Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

I am definitely not alone in wanting the Steelers to trade back this year. I looked through the potential options, and the Packers just make too much sense as a trade partner. They have 10 picks this year, and have needs at a couple of the positions they may need to jump up for. If someone like Rashod Bateman or Christian Barmore are there, I could see them wanting to make a move to 24.

This trade is solid value for both teams, as the trade value is nearly identical. I threw in a pick swap in 2022 to make sure the Packers would want the deal, as the Steelers expect to receive multiple compensatory picks next season so moving down one round shouldn’t be a huge deal.

Once I traded back, I was able to get almost the exact same group of players as I would at #24 when looking at the board. Many of the teams following the Steelers don’t have the same needs, so getting the running back, center, or maybe even cornerback they want shouldn’t be an issue. Ultimately I settled on Harris, who while might not be my #1 running back, definitely can help boost the ground game, something they definitely need and I want to see improved as well.

Other Options: Travis Etienne, Landon Dickerson, Zaven Collins

Round Two, TRADE UP. Send Miami Dolphins #55, #128. Receive #50, #156. Select Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State

After trading back, the Steelers are in a position to where they might not want to wait for the player they want at #55. The Dolphins seem like a solid trade partner. They have four picks in the top two rounds, but only a couple the rest of the way. So if they’re able to trade back and improve one of their later picks it seems like a no brainer for both sides to me.

I go back and forth debating where Samuel Jr. is going to fall, as some feel he is a first round pick and others think he falls to the late second round. I personally think he slides somewhere in between since he is on the smaller side and there are a lot of solid corners that will likely go in the first two rounds. This is my biggest stretch pick of my draft, but the Steelers need a corner and I think Samuel Jr. could be a surprise slider who I would want to make a move for.

Other Options: Creed Humphrey, Jevon Holland, Michael Carter

Round Three, #87: Josh Meyers, C, The Ohio State

What a surprise, I stayed put with my initial pick for the 3rd round. It isn’t any secret the Steelers are going to need some additional offensive line help, and they are looking for people to help them get back to being physical. Myers is just that, a tough as hell center who can quickly add some physicality to the offense.

In their pre-draft press conference, Kevin Colbert mentioned he likes the depth of this year’s center class compared to most others, and that you can find a lot more starters this year. I agree with him and feel comfortable that the Steelers can wait until the middle rounds to find their anchor in the middle. Meyers is a bulldog in the middle of the offensive line and can definitely add something to a struggling run game.

Other Options: Paulson Adebo, Trey Sermon, Tommy Tremble

Round Three, #92: Jordan Smith, EDGE, UAB​

Here is the pick I acquired from trading down, and one the Steelers definitely need. With Bud Dupree leaving in free agency, it leaves the Steelers with little depth at the outside linebacker position. They can’t afford to wait until late in the draft to help this position, so snagging someone like Jordan Smith here is a big help.

Smith didn’t take a normal path the the draft, starting for an SEC program, going to JUCO, then back to UAB. But his upside is through the roof and he dominated once he got back to Division I. The main thing knocking Smith down some boards is getting caught for credit card fraud while a freshman. I am able to get over the dumb mistake as he has been on the straight and narrow since, and his ability is too good to pass up. He is very athletic and possesses good bend around the edge, while he also added a lot of weight for his Pro Day. Adding that weight was needed as he struggled to hold up against the run in college. He would be a great 3rd OLB on the Steelers roster.

Other Options: Tommy Tremble, Janarius Robinson, James Hudson

Round Four, #140: Brenden Jaimes, OT, Nebraska​

The Steelers appear to have their starters locked in at tackle, and I am content if Chukwuma Okorafor and Zach Banner are their starting tackles. However, they still need to address the position for depth and potentially for a future starter. I personally wouldn’t wait any longer than this, and I almost selected some other tackles higher up.

Jaimes is a super athletic tackle with very quick feet and good technique in his pass sets. With how athletic he is, he can mirror nearly any edge rusher that comes at him day one. However, he is very light (barely touches 300lbs) and that shows on tape. He is far from an asset in the run game currently, but that isn’t because he isn’t physical. He just lacks the muscle mass, especially in his lower body to really drive people off of the ball. A year or two to add some good weight to get up and playing around 315-320lbs and Jaimes could be someone who is a long-time starter.

Other Options: Khalil Herbert, Robert Hainsey, Robert Rochell

Round Five, #156: TE Tre’ McKitty, TE, Georgia​

I really don’t like the Steelers not having a solid tight end room. Eric Ebron is a solid #1, but he is a poor blocker and there is no one behind him with any real experience. Ideally the Steelers can snag someone earlier, but I couldn’t find a spot where I wanted one that I didn’t want someone else more. So here we are waiting until the 5th round, but I think this would be a great 5th round pick.

McKitty is flying under the radar somewhat. He is a known name, but most don’t have him going before the middle of day three. He transferred to Georgia to prove he was a complete player, and he definitely did that. He proved he can block decently playing against SEC competition and be a weapon on offense. He had a great performance at the Senior Bowl as a receiver, and that is where his name started bumping up draft boards. I am bullish on McKitty, especially since he likely can be grabbed in the middle of day three without much worry at this point.

Other Options: Kylin Hill, Justin Hilliard, Tommy Doyle

Round Six, #216: Jaelon Darden, WR, North Texas​

I am not a fan of grabbing a wide receiver this season in the draft. The Steelers have had tremendous success in recent years grabbing a receiver in round 2 or 3 and them blossoming into a solid performer, but I do not want that this year. There are too many other holes. If they do draft one though, I want it to be late and someone who can be a contributor on special teams.

Darden is just that, but also can be more. He was electrifying at North Texas scoring 31 TDs in his final two seasons. He plays primarily in the slot due to his small stature being on 5’9″ and 170lbs, but that is what makes him so slippery in the open field. He can make anyone miss any play, but goes down easily if people get their hands on him. The athleticism he possesses was just too much for the competition he was facing, but that will change quickly in the NFL. I don’t see him much more than a return man and gadget player early on, but creative offensive coordinators should be able to find a way to use his explosiveness.

Other Options: John Bates, Keith Taylor Jr., William Bradley-King

Round Seven, #245: Paris Ford, S, Pittsburgh

I love Paris Ford, but he likely fell farther than anyone during the Pro Day season. He ran an extremely disappointing 4.90s 40-yard dash at his Pro Day, which would’ve been the slowest of any combine invite defensive back last season. That number is going to erase him from a lot of teams draft boards all together.

It is crazy how one number can change someone’s draft stock. Ford went from a potential Day 2 pick to on the verge of going undrafted do to his testing numbers. The rest of his numbers didn’t do anything to help either as he appears to be a sub-par athlete all around. However, when you watch the tape, Ford is a gamer. At a minimum he can be an ace special teamer due to him just being a good football player regardless of testing numbers. At this point in the draft, special teams contributors and/or people who just are good at the game of football are wins. I would do what I could to keep him in Pittsburgh.

Other Options: Drue Chrisman, Alaric Jackson, Naquan Jones

Round Seven, #254: Jonathan Marshall, DL, Arkansas​

This late in the draft you want upside. These dart throws rarely pan out, so you have to look for a couple standout traits in players. Marshall possesses those as he blew up at his Pro Day having a great day of testing.

You click on some Arkansas tape and you don’t see a player that is physically dominate and controls the line of scrimmage. However, his workout shows the potential is there with the strength and athleticism he has. Marshall is most likely an undrafted free agent, but the Steelers can make sure he is in their camp this season using one of the last picks of the draft.

Other Options: Tarron Jackson, Grant Stuard, Tony Poljan

Now that I put this together, I doubt the Steelers draft anyone I want or do what I did in order to get those players. If they do, I am immediately going and playing the lottery. I really hope the Steelers end up with some of these players. Let us know below if you agree with how I handled the Steelers draft!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

Can't argue that mock at all. thanks for the enlightenment Matt.

Salute the nation

Matt: You may be the only person on earth comfortable with Chukwuma Okorafor and Zach Banner at OT. I believe I can name three people off the top of my head who don't share that sentiment - me, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin.

The draft has some high-end talent at OT. Cosmi in the 1st, Jenkins in the 1st, Brown in the 2nd or 3rd, Moore in the 3rd or 4th are all guys who make the OT situation better right now and for the next several years.

Edit: Add in Walker Little in the 3rd, Jalen Mayfield in the 2nd, Liam Eichenberg in the 2nd. Passing on all of those guys for somebody like Jaimes - a decent prospect, but a guy who is likely to go in the 5th or 6th - does not make sense to me.

Last edited:
Matt: You may be the only person on earth comfortable with Chukwuma Okorafor and Zach Banner at OT. I believe I can name three people off the top of my head who don't share that sentiment - me, Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin.

The draft has some high-end talent at OT. Cosmi in the 1st, Jenkins in the 1st, Brown in the 2nd or 3rd, Moore in the 3rd or 4th are all guys who make the OT situation better right now and for the next several years.
Two of his first 4 picks were for the O-line. He might have said he was comfy but his mock said otherwise.😁

Nice mock and you've obviously put a lot of effort into it.
My issue is that I don't see how this makes the running game better outside of having a better back. Pouncey may have been on his way out but adding a 3rd rounder to the exact same personnel and a returning Zach Banner doesn't fill me with confidence. And while Banner may do well (I'm guessing at RT) and Chuks was solid last year where is the improvement going to come from?

I've read a lot of Mock drafts and 85-90% have the Steelers picking Harris in the 1st. I don't see him making it past the Dolphins or Jets. I'd be more than happy with any of the top 3 backs this year.

Harris is the top back and would be a great pick. Understanding his age, you take his 5th-year option (assuming he has played well) and then probably move on and let someone else pay him a big contract since he will be 29 at that point. I like everything about Etienne other than his fumbling issue. That worries me. Williams, well, I don't know. I'm not sold on him one way or the other but everyone seems to think he is great but no true breakaway speed. I wouldn't take him in Rd. 1 but would absolutely move up to get him in Rd. 2.

Enjoyed your mock, but honestly you lost me here...

Eric Ebron is a solid #1
Solid at lapsing concentration at key moments? If that's your take, I'm on board.

I've read a lot of Mock drafts and 85-90% have the Steelers picking Harris in the 1st. I don't see him making it past the Dolphins or Jets. I'd be more than happy with any of the top 3 backs this year.
There's no way that Najee gets past 1.24 and I fully agree that the Dolphins or Jets may grab him before us. So, the question is "what is our consolation prize?" - Bermuda says, "Williams".

I won't be happy if Najee isn't a Steeler after the draft but I think I will feel better after two shots of rum and picking Williams...

There's no way that Najee gets past 1.24 and I fully agree that the Dolphins or Jets may grab him before us. So, the question is "what is our consolation prize?" - Bermuda says, "Williams".

I won't be happy if Najee isn't a Steeler after the draft but I think I will feel better after two shots of rum and picking Williams...
I don't know enough about Williams but so long as he is a strong consolation prize and not a position reach.