• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

This is police brutality

I used to work in a group home with troubled kids. Fairly often we would have to physically restrain kids when they became violent and started trying to hit the staff or the other kids. The restraint was done as the kid was fighting and struggling to hit somebody or to get loose to keep acting out. Know what happened as soon as they stopped fighting and calmed down? The restraint ended. Right then. In fact even while they were still fighting and struggling on the ground we always continued talking to them calmly and letting them know that as soon as they stopped fighting and calmed down, they would be released. Once they processed the situation, they almost always complied pretty quickly by settling down. They were immediately released and then we would have a conversation with them about how to handle their anger differently in the future to get a better outcome.

And we somehow knew enough to do this as 21 and 22 year old kids, fresh out of college and making $6.00 an hour with very minimal training. You can't tell me a highly trained professional didn't know better in a case like this. He was physically punishing him for non compliance and he ended up killing him.

Last edited:
Do you think it has hit him yet that he is going to jail for a very long time? Or is he still so arrogant that he thinks his "union" and "brotherhood" are going to stick up for him on this?

I've said this a million times. Get rid of police unions. The old school "deny, defend, deny, defend" needs to stop. Teachers' unions do it for bad teachers as well. In those cases people don't die, but a bad teacher can **** up a life too.

Public unions against the taxpayer dollar have ruined any ability to "police" (and I use that pun on purpose) large swaths of public service jobs.

I have come across people working in County permitting offices with the same "I'm better than you, power trip" attitude that some police officers have. It all comes from union benefits and the inability to fire the bad apples because trying to do so brings down the lawyers these unions pay for.

It's ******* outrageous.

Do you think it has hit him yet that he is going to jail for a very long time? Or is he still so arrogant that he thinks his "union" and "brotherhood" are going to stick up for him on this?

I've said this a million times. Get rid of police unions. The old school "deny, defend, deny, defend" needs to stop. Teachers' unions do it for bad teachers as well. In those cases people don't die, but a bad teacher can **** up a life too.

Public unions against the taxpayer dollar have ruined any ability to "police" (and I use that pun on purpose) large swaths of public service jobs.

I have come across people working in County permitting offices with the same "I'm better than you, power trip" attitude that some police officers have. It all comes from union benefits and the inability to fire the bad apples because trying to do so brings down the lawyers these unions pay for.

It's ******* outrageous.

As as school employee I agree with PART of your statement on teachers unions. They do unfortunately protect bad teachers.which is not good. However they also protect everyone from a rogue administrator on a power trip from wrecking everyone and everything in their path. Now this might not be such a big deal if one of those administrators rarely ever came along. But in reality they aren't uncommon at all. I have worked under 6 administrators in my career and 3 of them were absolutely batshit crazy. The "don't you ever question my authority" type of person who would gleefully fire half the staff for no other reason than to take the heat off themselves after they ****** something up royally, Fortunately or unfortunately, the union is the only thing standing between a complete lunatic and your potential unemployment.

Case in point I worked for a Principal who would use teacher performance evaluations to get back at you if you dared to question something she wanted to do, even if the idea was so insane that everyone knew it was going to inevitably backfire in a spectacular fashion. Mind you in 16 years I have never gotten anything less than good / satisfactory on any evaluation I ever had for multiple administrators. She got really pissed before one evaluation was coming up because I tried to warn her that what she was about to do was going to end badly (It did....in short order). She proceeded to give me all 1's on my evaluation, which is Unsatisfactory and indicates that you are horrible at your job. This goes into your permanent file forever.

Now mind you, this was in February. Fast forward two months later when I had a 2nd evaluation that she had to complete in late April. By this time she had gotten over whatever she was pissed at me about February and we were on decent terms again. Also, at the end of the year, she really, really depended on me to do basically everything to close out the school year and she wanted to be on good terms with me so I would take care of it all for her. As a result, my 2nd evaluation was ******* exemplary. She gave me perfect scores.....4's across the board in every category. The exact same categories that she had given me 1's in two months earlier. I had a running joke with my colleagues that I got a lot better at my job from February to April despite the fact that I was in year 13 of my career.

She also had penchant for telling the Superintendent that something she had done very wrong was the work of a random teacher and threw them right under the bus, so she wouldn't get in trouble for it. She would also tell parents the same thing and falsely accuse staff doing things that were all her idea. That very same school year of my 2 evaluations, she did that very thing to me with the Superintendent (concerning a MAJOR **** up that embarrassed the entire school and that she had conducted all on her own) and I found out about it. I marched my *** straight into the Superintendent's office and told him that I wanted him to know that what she told him was complete bullshit and I had nothing to do with the major **** up in question. He told me not to worry about it and he knew all about it. Fortunately for me, he had already had 2 years of dealing with fallout from irate parents, kids and other teachers from the crazy **** she was doing and his eyes were opened. But if that weren't the case and if there was no union they could have fired my *** on the spot for something I had absolutely nothing to do with and greatly diminished the chances I would ever work in this business again. .

It's vindictive, petty, powerful, imbeciles which make teacher's unions a necessary evil I'm afraid.

Last edited:
You can't tell me a highly trained professional didn't know better in a case like this. He was physically punishing him for non compliance and he ended up killing him.

Bingo. And it's absolutely disgusting. I don't care about the color of anybody's skin.

That still doesn't make it right, black or white or brown. Police brutality needs to stop or scrutinized. What happened to this man, along with others didn't need to happen. He was restrained, under control and handcuffed on the street. To press on his neck until he couldn't breathe is avoidable and unacceptable. Certain officers have a "god complex" and all of the training and education means nothing if they think they are above the law and continue to use practices that are unsafe for the civilians.
I'm not going to condemn them rioting because I don't know how they feel, but have a pretty good idea. They want and need to be heard.

I never said it was right. All brutality needs to stop but it won't. Blacks kill whites at an 80% clip. That needs to stop right? Remember the knock out game? Did you see the video of the black 20 year old kid in a nursing home beating a white man for no reason at all? If whites were killing blacks at the rate blacks are killing whites we'd have another civil war on our hands.

This was a horrible video but I've seen much worse things in my life in person. I hate the guy lost his life and the cop should be (and was) fired or even prosecuted. But to make out like this is somehow systematic in the police force or that blacks are being targeted doesn't hold with the stats.

That very same school year of my 2 evaluations, she did that very thing to me with the Superintendent (concerning a MAJOR **** up that embarrassed the entire school and that she had conducted all on her own) and I found out about it. I marched my *** straight into the Superintendent's office and told him that I wanted him to know that what she told him was complete bullshit and I had nothing to do with the major **** up in question. He told me not to worry about it and he knew all about it. Fortunately for me, he had already had 2 years of dealing with fallout from irate parents, kids and other teachers from the crazy **** she was doing and his eyes were opened. But if that weren't the case and if there was no union they could have fired my *** on the spot for something I had absolutely nothing to do with and greatly diminished the chances I would ever work in this business again.

But the fact of the matter is that the principal still has a job in large part due to the same protections.

Look, I get what you're saying, but for about 4 years my wife's job was to monitor terrible teachers and gather enough evidence to get them fired. It would take about 2 years to get the termination process done, and another year to go to a Skelly hearing and confirm the termination. Three years and at least 3-4 hearings to fire a bad teacher.

Finally, in my experience, the complicated box-checking and hoop-jumping needed to fire a teacher usually protect bad teachers, not good teachers.

I never said it was right. All brutality needs to stop but it won't. Blacks kill whites at an 80% clip. That needs to stop right? Remember the knock out game? Did you see the video of the black 20 year old kid in a nursing home beating a white man for no reason at all? If whites were killing blacks at the rate blacks are killing whites we'd have another civil war on our hands.

This was a horrible video but I've seen much worse things in my life in person. I hate the guy lost his life and the cop should be (and was) fired or even prosecuted. But to make out like this is somehow systematic in the police force or that blacks are being targeted doesn't hold with the stats.

yes, I saw the video of the black kid beating up the old man and it was literally swept under the rug. Probably because he didn't kill him? Who knows, but we can ask the trusty media why.

Blacks kill whites at a higher rate? You have a source for that stat? From what I have seen from the FBI stats more whites kill whites and more blacks kill blacks not this high amount of blacks killing whites.

and why is it that when someone shows a black person suffering an injustice at the hands of the cops, or in Ahmaud Arbery's case at the hand of wanna be cops there is always someone to jump in and give some what aboutisms showing inappropriate actions from the other side or try to pull some crap up the person did in their past to show......well I don't know what.

Also, why isn't that cop in jail right now? The average person would be sitting in jail at this moment for some **** like that, but because he's a cop he is wandering around free. Sure, he lost his job, but the other guy lost his life.

Last edited:
But the fact of the matter is that the principal still has a job in large part due to the same protections.

Look, I get what you're saying, but for about 4 years my wife's job was to monitor terrible teachers and gather enough evidence to get them fired. It would take about 2 years to get the termination process done, and another year to go to a Skelly hearing and confirm the termination. Three years and at least 3-4 hearings to fire a bad teacher.

Finally, in my experience, the complicated box-checking and hoop-jumping needed to fire a teacher usually protect bad teachers, not good teachers.

Double whammy of a public-sector union. Public sector should not be able to unionize. Unions were put in place to level the field with employers through collective bargaining. Not the case with public sector unions. In fact, politicians love spending more money on unions to effectively buy their endorsement. The actual employers (the taxpayers) have no seat at that negotiation table, so public unions make no sense and are only bad.

yes, I saw the video of the black kid beating up the old man and it was literally swept under the rug. Probably because he didn't kill him? Who knows, but we can ask the trusty media why.

No it wasn't. It was all over the news when it happened and the guy was arrested.

Blacks kill whites at a higher rate? You have a source for that stat? From what I have seen from the FBI stats more whites kill whites and more blacks kill blacks not this high amount of blacks killing whites.

I suspect CD was talking about interracial crimes. The data are tough to interpret accurately in large part because the FBI data for some reason combines Hispanics and whites as "offenders" when listing murders of blacks, so very tough to determine how many offenders guilty of murdering a black were actually white, rather than Hispanic. Also, the FBI data for some reason details only incidents of one victim, one offender. Not sure why.

Anyway, as of 2016, the latest report I've found, there were a total of 1,049 interracial murders. Excluding the "race unknown" for either victim or the offender, that leaves 869 interracial murders, again where Hispanics are deemed white in the calculation, apparently under the George Zimmerman rule.

Of those 869 interracial murders, 533 involved a black killing a white and 243 involved a white killing a black. Therefore, blacks account for 66% (570 out of 869) such murders, whites 34% (299 out of 869), once again where white includes Hispanic as an offender.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-3.xls

Those are the raw numbers, but if we convert to proportionate share of the population, the data are worse as to African-American interracial offenders in homicides. Much, much worse.

Whites are 73% of the population, blacks 13% where the term white includes Hispanics. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_United_States#Race

Therefore, to convert the raw numbers to per capita involves the following:

0.13 x 869 = 113 expected homicides, African-American killing other race.
0.73 x 869 = 634 expected homicides, whites killing other race.

So instead of 113 homicides for the African-American population, the number is 533, or 470% of the expected result. Using the same numbers for whites, the results show just 38% (0.38) of the expected homicides. The 81% number is not accurate in terms of the gross numbers but is close to the facts for interracial crime.

and why is it that when someone shows a black person suffering an injustice at the hands of the cops, or in Ahmaud Arbery's case at the hand of wanna be cops there is always someone to jump in and give some what aboutisms showing inappropriate actions from the other side or try to pull some crap up the person did in their past to show......well I don't know what.

Two points. The background information matters in certain cases with claims of self-defense by the assailant or suspicion of criminal activity by the person who winds up getting injured or killed. If it turns out the victim had a history of participating in the "knock-out game" then a claim of self-defense makes a lot more sense than if the victim was a 48-year old pastor. If the victim had a history of being a thief, than that plays a role in determining motive or intent when checking out possible theft.

I know you think a video is it, the be-all and end-all, but it is just evidence. The best evidence around, almost certainly, but the video does not show intent, or motive, or thought process, or the reasons why things were what they were when the camera came on. So adding other evidence to the story makes perfect sense, particularly where a claim is made (Michael Brown) that the dead suspect was a sweet guy, not violent, loved people, would never attack a cop, etc. - and where a video shows that guy roughing up a store owner when stealing just minutes earlier.

Right? Or should we not disparage the wonderful character of Michael Brown and just string up the cop??

Also, why isn't that cop in jail right now? The average person would be sitting in jail at this moment for some **** like that, but because he's a cop he is wandering around free. Sure, he lost his job, but the other guy lost his life.

Not true unless the police witness the offense. If you or I are involved in some physical altercation and a guy winds up dead, the police don't simply "arrest us" cuz a guy is dead. They get statements, evidence, get a warrant issued by a judge and then arrest us.

Same is true for a cop. The court needs to issue a warrant after the state makes out the charges. If the police **** up a warrant and the warrant is not valid, guess what? Evidence seized as a result of a bad warrant goes buh-bye.

SteelTime answered most of this but I wanted to make another point. The facts are that blacks commit more crime percentage wise. Almost all interracial rapes are black on white. Majority of interracial murders are black on white. Vast majority of all interracial crimes are black on white. Those are FBI stats.

Secondly, it's about response. The reason I brought it up was because someone introduced race into it as if it was a racial murder. We don't know that. We do know that blacks riot and think that this is some conspiracy. When in fact it happens the other way around MORE often. Why do whites not riot when blacks gun them down at higher rates? Why isn't it a civil rights violation when whites are being killed by blacks at a huge disparity?

That is true and I agree with it. However it has also saved many people who could have gotten canned through no fault of their own. Another thing that happens with school administrations sometimes is that the Principals niece graduates college and needs a job but there is no opening. They could very easily oust somebody they don't really like to make a position come open very easily.

SteelTime answered most of this but I wanted to make another point. The facts are that blacks commit more crime percentage wise. Almost all interracial rapes are black on white. Majority of interracial murders are black on white. Vast majority of all interracial crimes are black on white. Those are FBI stats.

Secondly, it's about response. The reason I brought it up was because someone introduced race into it as if it was a racial murder. We don't know that. We do know that blacks riot and think that this is some conspiracy. When in fact it happens the other way around MORE often. Why do whites not riot when blacks gun them down at higher rates? Why isn't it a civil rights violation when whites are being killed by blacks at a huge disparity?

Whites don't need to riot when killed by a black man because the cops Shut the whole city down and arrest him. Why is that so hard to understand?????

Whites don't need to riot when killed by a black man because the cops Shut the whole city down and arrest him. Why is that so hard to understand?????

Bullshit. Most cops handle murders the same way regardless of who gets killed. Please name me the last time a city was shut down over anyone's murder? You can't. So stop the strawman arguments and the hyperbole. Is that so hard to understand?

Now these thugs in Minneapolis are stealing TVs and looting their own city... They aren't protesting. They are rioting. Bunch of thieves looking for an excuse to destroy and steal.

Is there any history of police brutality in Minneapolis against the black community? I am asking, I don't know. I remember a case a year or so back where a Somali office shot and killed a white woman, for no good reason. That case was resolved, as it should be, in the court system.

The Floyd video shows some damning behavior in this case. Shouldn't we wait to get all of the information, and run it through the justice system, before passing judgement?

Now these thugs in Minneapolis are stealing TVs and looting their own city... They aren't protesting. They are rioting. Bunch of thieves looking for an excuse to destroy and steal.

Never let a good crisis go to waste...

After the riots you’ll still be able to find work boots. Just like Ferguson.

After the riots you’ll still be able to find work boots. Just like Ferguson.

I know you won't be able to find Air Jordan's, a rap CD or a TV any time soon.

Pandering to get the black votes ...You know, the blacks that didn't turn white voting for Trump.