• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the game

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
okay normally I wait and rewatch the game and then post my thoughts

I just doubt I will be able to stomach rewatching this one

absoulutely terrible in all three phases in the first half

no first downs until the final drvie, ******* pitiful

I think this was a mix of play calling and poor play

Kenny missed a wide open DJ acros the middle for what would have been an easy 1st down and likely a lot more yards.

OL was getting no push at all. Hell Najee's best run was stuffed but he was able to bounce outside for a nice gain. Only good rushing attempt by any Steeler RB all day

OL is still an issue. Kenny's accuracy and decisions are also. THe first pick, DJ did fall down but he still was not open and the pass was a bit short, the second pick just made no sense. Heward was well covered

the defense was a bigger surprise

I really expected the run D to be better and they were at times. Roberts had a few good plays, mainly stuffing the run on 3rd and short early...just to be beat to the outside the next play by the TE who picked up just enough for the first down

Watt was the only bright spot, 3 sacks 2 forced fumbles and a fumble recovery

Peterson had a couple of nice plays but overall not very special

I am pretty sure the first TO on the FG attempt was because there were too many defenders on the field. The challenge of the but recovery made sense, quick call and it certainly seemed unlikely that the QB would have been able to regain possession

McFarland was solid on KRs but other than that the special teams were the type that rode the short bus

Hopefully there is no way in hell that they can suck that bad in all phases (including coaches) going forward

Hopefully DJ, Chucky and big Heyward are not out too long

okay normally I wait and rewatch the game and then post my thoughts

I just doubt I will be able to stomach rewatching this one

absoulutely terrible in all three phases in the first half

no first downs until the final drvie, ******* pitiful

I think this was a mix of play calling and poor play

Kenny missed a wide open DJ acros the middle for what would have been an easy 1st down and likely a lot more yards.

OL was getting no push at all. Hell Najee's best run was stuffed but he was able to bounce outside for a nice gain. Only good rushing attempt by any Steeler RB all day

OL is still an issue. Kenny's accuracy and decisions are also. THe first pick, DJ did fall down but he still was not open and the pass was a bit short, the second pick just made no sense. Heward was well covered

the defense was a bigger surprise

I really expected the run D to be better and they were at times. Roberts had a few good plays, mainly stuffing the run on 3rd and short early...just to be beat to the outside the next play by the TE who picked up just enough for the first down

Watt was the only bright spot, 3 sacks 2 forced fumbles and a fumble recovery

Peterson had a couple of nice plays but overall not very special

I am pretty sure the first TO on the FG attempt was because there were too many defenders on the field. The challenge of the but recovery made sense, quick call and it certainly seemed unlikely that the QB would have been able to regain possession

McFarland was solid on KRs but other than that the special teams were the type that rode the short bus

Hopefully there is no way in hell that they can suck that bad in all phases (including coaches) going forward

Hopefully DJ, Chucky and big Heyward are not out too long
I think you pretty well covered it. Not much else to say. I just sat in my garage chair sipping a beer and shaking my head every few moments as the game progressed.

So the biggest problem was that KP was really off today. Worse than I’ve seen him so far… he was definitely rushing throws with bad mechanics… im going to say that he wasn’t feeling comfortable with the line today…

It didn’t help that the wrs were typically blanketed most of the game.

Beyond that that first punt really broke the game in the 9rs direction… if they started on the 25 or 30, that first fourth down is probably a punt instead of a conversion… the Steelers D got two short fields and never recovered

Look, im not as gloom and doomy as most here.
I thought they had a good chance to beat the 9rs today but they didn’t show up… however there was never a doubt that this was the hardest game on the schedule, and playing it first, without any time to really gel was potentially problematic…
Outside of the standard playcalling and some minor mechanics that can be rectified, i don’t think there is a fatal flaw exposed here…

The die was cast in the first possession by each team. Pickett had decent protection but held the ball way too long and took the sack. Then Harvin provides his typically bad punt to give the 49ers possession near midfield. I stopped watching after the first INT and checked the score online. Tomlin may muddle his way to another non-losing 9-8 season but all the preseason hype was just that.

Idc about Kenny holding too long.. that will come with game speed,, better offense.. im ok. Sorry Madinsomniac,, wasnt calling you out for anything. just that ,, All the hype,, we still had this in our minds about Canada.. I asked my brother via text mid game.. If we pulled canada.,,,, who is taking over.... I know its first game,, but damn.. that was bad.

Kyle shanahan made his bones as an OC. Our OC is Matt Canada. the question mark you had in your head all along.

OUR DC is Teryl Austin. Fired from the bungals.. I know we have the horses . Our trainers suck balls.
Nah, it is a league wide issue and I blame the NFLPA for not letting players get enough contact and work in the offseason/preseason. Look at the Ravens, holy **** the injury issues.

nah they are neither as good as they looked in preseason or as bad as they looked today.
You're probably right. We can still enjoy watching Watt go after the sack record again, and hopefully watch Kenny get better, and make fun of Mr NeverALosingSeasonAndCantGetFiredEvenThoughHeSucks.

Pickett was trash today. No excuses about the OC or OL. Both were bad, but he has to overcome that.

We also saw the difference between a team with an offensive genius and a guy like Matt Canada.

Finally, another year playing an elite team and another beatdown. It's becoming a staple under Mike Tomlin.

If Canada isn’t performing, i actually think they will pull playcalling off of him by the bye… im probably drunk though….
They should fire both Canada and Tomlin at the bye. I’ve seen enough of both of them.

nah they are neither as good as they looked in preseason or as bad as they looked today.

Yeah, you are very probably correct but the fact is when you get raped at home 30-7, then being a lot better means you lose at home 24-13.

And that's a problem.

There are a couple of simple coaching realities here:

1) On offense, over the last 6 or so weeks of last year and to start this year our offense not very good (and the play calling was ****) until the point where true Canada playcalling was not available (i.e., late in halves and panic time).

2) On defense, with our D minded HC (???) and D coordinator (???), have felt and continue to feel that zone defense was/is the best way to attack even though we suck at it (and drafted two man defenders, one on IR and have better man zone players in general). Again, more terrible coaching and coordinating except when the sheer athletic talent of a player exceeds the ****** calling of the coach.

Also, by the way, did someone erase the middle of the field from Canada;s playbook again before panic time?