• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the game

Nobody is looking for the type of QB he is. Everyone is enamored with the mobile QB at least to a degree. Mason is a throwback and while I think he may be the best pure passer on the team, as I have said repeatedly even in my defense of him it is his lack of lateral agility and short area quickness that is keeping him from getting a shot at starting anywhere. The league has passed his skill set by. But he does have a skill set and would have been right at home in the 70's and 80's leading a team as a pure drop back passer with a good run game throwing bombs.

Sorry, he wouldn’t hold up to the brutality of the 70’s.

One ****-ing helmet to the head doesn’t make you 70’s tough.

Salute the nation

Sorry, he wouldn’t hold up to the brutality of the 70’s.

One ****-ing helmet to the head doesn’t make you 70’s tough.

Salute the nation
I never thought of Rudy as tough, still don't. Ben yeah he was one tough SOB who could play in any era.

Nobody really is overly defending Pickett. He had a ****** game.

I could give a **** less what the clowns do. That is for clowns fans to harp on what the Steelers do. We are more concerned with our own.

Most are taking a wait and see approach. I know that is lost on some fans who want to stick the pitch fork in him.

Again it is a wait and see, unless you are Nostradamus that is the approach to take.

Even with Mason Rudolf on the 53 roster ???

Salute the nation

I just spent the last hour watching Tomlin's latest presser and all the player vids from Sunday's loss that I hadn't watched yet. They all acknowledge it was a clusterfuck. Or in Tomlin's words today "a stinker". Hopefully, the whole team just had a bad day. It happens, and SF is a top-caliber team. Hopefully, they will prepare well for Monday's game. Although we'll be without DJ (if I heard that right) and Cam which sucks.

Good job jiminoh!!!

It takes me awhile at time too. I do get through them, time permits.

Salute the nation

AB making a pitch to come back to the Steelers LOL

Four days post beat-down, and I’m finally able to think Steeler football. F*%@ Tomlin! F$#& Canada! F*#@& Austin! And I promise to never criticize DJ again for running backwards or out-of-bounds, because clearly the first time EVER that he cut back to the inside for YAC he pulls his hammy. I’ve been critical of DJ over the past couple years, but he was the only receiver that appeared to be open regularly. Losing him will not help the team. I was, though, a least a little encouraged that CA3 seemed to find a rhythm with KP near the end of the game. KP will be fine.

A lot of players are not in game shape. The amount of injuries right out of the gates shows that the body is just not prepared.

With as much money being invested into players this sort of thing needs remedied somehow.
Well the problem is they are working against it with the things they implement. Less practices, more games, out of country games, etc. When they add the 18th game we will see it water down the season even more. As with most everything in the world greed will kill the golden goose eventually. Its amazing to me cause they have the perfect business that makes billions regardless of just about anything. The only thing that can screw it up is themselves and they seem intent on making that happen.

Four days post beat-down, and I’m finally able to think Steeler football. F*%@ Tomlin! F$#& Canada! F*#@& Austin! And I promise to never criticize DJ again for running backwards or out-of-bounds, because clearly the first time EVER that he cut back to the inside for YAC he pulls his hammy. I’ve been critical of DJ over the past couple years, but he was the only receiver that appeared to be open regularly. Losing him will not help the team. I was, though, a least a little encouraged that CA3 seemed to find a rhythm with KP near the end of the game. KP will be fine.
Hard to get open when the defense knows your running short routes to mostly the side of the field. Add in not being afraid of the run game at all and your not going to see much success. Its astonishing that a Pro level offense and team is still thinking the way the Steelers are.

Hard to get open when the defense knows your running short routes to mostly the side of the field. Add in not being afraid of the run game at all and your not going to see much success. Its astonishing that a Pro level offense and team is still thinking the way the Steelers are.
Yep, and it’s becoming even more clear that Canada doesn’t know HOW to use the middle of the field, but when he does he lacks creativity. This column in The Athletic talks about Matt Canada’s scheme throwing over the middle.

https://theathletic.com/4851941/2023/09/12/nfl-week-1-best-worst-coaching-decisions-nguyen/

Last edited:
It a terrible offense that’s been around for far too long. It has absolutely no good points to it since it does nothing well.

Yep, and it’s becoming even more clear that Canada doesn’t know HOW to use the middle of the field, but when he does he lacks creativity. This column in The Athletic talks about Matt Canada’s scheme throwing over the middle.

https://theathletic.com/4851941/2023/09/12/nfl-week-1-best-worst-coaching-decisions-nguyen/

Meh often criticisms of coordinators are just byproducts of frustrated fans, but Canada really does not get how to open routes in the nfl…

Meh often criticisms of coordinators are just byproducts of frustrated fans, but Canada really does not get how to open routes in the nfl…

Canada responds with this brilliant scheme:

50383.gif

He calls it the "Mo-Curly Jet Sweep."

So, apparently, Austin is saying JPJ isn't ready for more snaps. I say WTF?!?!?! He must be horrible based on what we saw put on the field this past week. We had no coverage in the middle (or on the outside for that matter) of the field and Peterson gave up 2 TD's. I'd rather have JPJ out there and take his lumps as a rookie. Move Peterson inside as he was saying it looked like they were going to do. We'll be better off in the long run.

So, apparently, Austin is saying JPJ isn't ready for more snaps. I say WTF?!?!?! He must be horrible based on what we saw put on the field this past week. We had no coverage in the middle (or on the outside for that matter) of the field and Peterson gave up 2 TD's. I'd rather have JPJ out there and take his lumps as a rookie. Move Peterson inside as he was saying it looked like they were going to do. We'll be better off in the long run.
I don't see it as a long period of time before he supplants Peterson. I see that happening before mid season...

I don't see it as a long period of time before he supplants Peterson. I see that happening before mid season...
Why not move Peterson to the middle now and JPJ on the outside. Peterson was looking forward to playing other positions. The secondary certainly didn't work this past weekend. The 9ers were wide open everywhere.

I was really bummed I had to miss watching the season opener for a family event for probably the first time since I was in diapers. Not so much now.