• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the game

So the biggest problem was that KP was really off today. Worse than I’ve seen him so far… he was definitely rushing throws with bad mechanics… im going to say that he wasn’t feeling comfortable with the line today…

It didn’t help that the wrs were typically blanketed most of the game.

Beyond that that first punt really broke the game in the 9rs direction… if they started on the 25 or 30, that first fourth down is probably a punt instead of a conversion… the Steelers D got two short fields and never recovered

Look, im not as gloom and doomy as most here.
I thought they had a good chance to beat the 9rs today but they didn’t show up… however there was never a doubt that this was the hardest game on the schedule, and playing it first, without any time to really gel was potentially problematic…
Outside of the standard playcalling and some minor mechanics that can be rectified, i don’t think there is a fatal flaw exposed here…
I don't know if Kenny had his best day we can overcome the number of points our D gave up. And I agree with you that Kenny was bad today. So our entire offense was bad. Same as our defense. Add in coaching. Plus the ticket holders bailed on the game. :(

As far as Canada's offense goes.... Maybe I am remembering it wrong but I thought it was said that Canada couldn't employ his actual offense because Ben didn't like taking snaps from under-center anymore. It seemed to me that Pickett was in shotgun all game. I am sure he took a few under-center. I can't remember them though.

I don't know if Kenny had his best day we can overcome the number of points our D gave up. And I agree with you that Kenny was bad today. So our entire offense was bad. Same as our defense. Add in coaching. Plus the ticket holders bailed on the game. :(
The punting, 3nouts, and ints sure did not help the D. Seemed like SF only had to travel half the field

Pickett looked terrible, but a lot of good QBs struggled. Mahomes was not good, Burrow was really bad, Lamar only threw for 170, Hurts, Herbert were mediocre etc etc....I still think Pickett will be fine. If they still look like this 3 games in then I will start to worry. The defense was concerning. Aiyuk may as well been Jerry Rice, and the run defense was not solid. SF is one of the best teams and their defense is one of the best in the league so not super concerned yet. Coaching is still an issue, the jet sweep after a nice gain seemed to just kill the team. With a young team on opening day need to stick to basics. Also not tossing it up to Pickens was just stupid. Not sure if it was Kenny or Canada, but he needs some 50-50 balls. Punting is still an issue. Harvin did win the battle coming out of camp, but I think its time to find someone new. I have nothing against the guy, but he is just not doing it come game time.
What makes you think Pickett will be fine? He has started 14 NFL games. He has 8 TD and 11 INT. He hasn’t played a great game. He really hasn’t had any good games. Sure, he has made some nice plays here and there. Fact is, he has barely been average. If he wasn’t a Pitt product and wasn’t a Steeler you’d be calling him a bust. Pickett has provided no evidence that he’ll “be fine.”

The punting, 3nouts, and ints sure did not help the D. Seemed like SF only had to travel half the field
A forced 3 and out would be nice at some point by our D this season. No? Watt got his sacks though. A few forced fumbles and recovered one. We have that anyway.

What makes you think Pickett will be fine? He has started 14 NFL games. He has 8 TD and 11 INT. He hasn’t played a great game. He really hasn’t had any good games. Sure, he has made some nice plays here and there. Fact is, he has barely been average. If he wasn’t a Pitt product and wasn’t a Steeler you’d be calling him a bust. Pickett has provided no evidence that he’ll “be fine.”
He puts in the work and looked much improved in the pre-season. In the pre-season he was accurate today he was all over the place and made horrible reads. Toward the end of last season didnt he go like 250 passes w/o an INT? The steelers were also leading the lead in TOP. Their biggest issue after the bye was not getting TDs and settling for FGs. He brought us back 2x last year so he has some dog in him. There is no excuse for todays game but I think / hope it was an anamoly this year.

The consistent issue has been choice of OC as the last two have had issues and not been creative enough at play calling. I don't think the "system" is bad but I think the person tasked with deciding what to run in game is bad when the pressure is on to scheme against the opponent.
I think the system is very bad when you compare it to well thought systems. How many easy passes did Brock Purdy make today. The only easy stuff I saw today for the Steelers was on the TD 2 min drill and the drive leading up to the horrible decision to force the ball into two safety coverage

I think the system is very bad when you compare it to well thought systems. How many easy passes did Brock Purdy make today. The only easy stuff I saw today for the Steelers was on the TD 2 min drill and the drive leading up to the horrible decision to force the ball into two safety coverage
So many guys are left wide open by this team in zone. You see it over and over again. That stuff drives me bananas.

Everything came too easy in the preseason. There was no difficulty. There is now. Hopefully this will do them good. Knock some of the hubris out of them. As pissed as we all are after that showing, it still is only 1 week.

So many guys are left wide open by this team in zone. You see it over and over again. That stuff drives me bananas.
I noticed this. The middle of the field and the flats are constantly left open. I think it’s an aggressive front 7 weakness.

Georgia’s defense is also suspect to being exposed on flat routes

That offensive system is something else. It helps winning the battle up front, but those receivers were open and Purdy was in a rhythm very early. Night and day with what we do on offense.

First game I know but Big Ben was thrown to the wolfs by the same thing we witnessed today; short go nowhere passes. Nothing down the field, little in the middle.
Defense with some sad coverage, poor tackling.

Expect way better next week. San Fran came in ready to play and they looked the part.

You're correct. Absolutely nothing has changed offensively and the quarterback can't run it. Not Ben,not Mitch and not Kenny.

The only thing that has worked to some degree is the 2 min offense.

None of it matters if they can't open holes on that line to run through. Teams have stacked the line for a solid 4 years now.

That offensive system is something else. It helps winning the battle up front, but those receivers were open and Purdy was in a rhythm very early. Night and day with what we do on offense.
Agreed they definitely lost the game up front. But the seam skiny post/slant was there for them open like 7-11.

As far as Canada's offense goes.... Maybe I am remembering it wrong but I thought it was said that Canada couldn't employ his actual offense because Ben didn't like taking snaps from under-center anymore. It seemed to me that Pickett was in shotgun all game. I am sure he took a few under-center. I can't remember them though.

yes, that was one of the BS excuses for Canada. We keep being told he has this brilliant offense but the players just aren't good enough to execute it.

Maybe next week they won’t be but today they were really bad. And KP looked like a deer in the headlights.
He either didn't trust the offensive line or was worried about the pass rush...maybe both. There were just so many plays he left out on the field today.

He either didn't trust the offensive line or was worried about the pass rush...maybe both. There were just so many plays he left out on the field today.
After the way he ended 2022 and his preseason it was the last thing I expected. I’m second guessing everything about him right now.

After the way he ended 2022 and his preseason it was the last thing I expected. I’m second guessing everything about him right now.
Almost there. But I expected this offense to still flop around like a fish out of water.

With Canada holding this team back since he arrived, and the DC close to the same thought ...I think these dismal performances are inevitable.

Nah, it is a league wide issue and I blame the NFLPA for not letting players get enough contact and work in the offseason/preseason. Look at the Ravens, holy **** the injury issues.
You can't have your body ready for peak all out performance by half *** preparing it to go 100% explosive for a full game. Things tear off. Geesh 1 full game around the league and everyone is dropping like flies.

Wasn’t Tomlin a DB’s coach? Why do we always struggle with this…

QB- Brock Purdy is definitely the best QB in the 2022 draft. I’m not writing Pickett off by any means but he has tons of work to do. He was off target, held the ball too long, made poor decisions. I was honestly surprised considering he looked light years better in preseason. I hope he can pull it together because our season rides on his shoulders.

D

RB- Najee and Warren were constantly getting harassed at the point if attack. They didn’t have a lot of attempts as we got behind so quickly.

C

TE- Freiermuth looked crisp and midseason form. Washington put Bosa on his ***. Need to get those guys involved more in the passing game.

B

WR- guys were getting open so I’m not too worried. DJ having a Hammy is an issue as it might be a month before he’s back. A-Rob seemed to have good rapport with KP. Pickens needs to get more balls thrown his way.

B+

OL- I think they were much improved. The 49ers DL is maybe the best in the NFL and we kept a pretty clean pocket. Run blocks weren’t kept long enough but I think they’ll gel and get better.

B-

DL- lots of guys banged up here. Bringing Heyward back for one play was stupid. Probably set him back a month. Loudermilk impressed in his absence. Adams was getting pushed around a lot in the middle. Run defense was horrid.

D+

OLB- Watt was a stud. One man wrecking crew. Highsmith was quiet. Was hoping for more after him getting paid. Golden seemed serviceable. Didn’t see much of Herbig.

B+

ILB- Roberts and Alexander looked good. Roberts is a thumper and Alexander is a good tackler. They seemed to do a good job covering a banged up Kittle.

C+

CB- wallace was beat like a rented mule. Peterson gave up that TD getting faked out a little then foot slipped. He had a couple nice pass break ups. Didn’t see a lot of JPJ but I think after that performance he should see more time.

C

S- no splash plays, out of position, not a great game here either.

C

Lets hope this is not indicative of what type of season we are going to have.