• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Thoughts on the game

Pickett was trash today. No excuses about the OC or OL. Both were bad, but he has to overcome that.

We also saw the difference between a team with an offensive genius and a guy like Matt Canada.

Finally, another year playing an elite team and another beatdown. It's becoming a staple under Mike Tomlin.
But but but .500 never had a losing season

We got punched in the mouth at the LOS on both sides of the ball - again. Our OL didn't move anyone.It's a simple game if you win there.

I'm also concerned it will take time for our secondary to come together with so many new parts.

As I’ve said so many times before, Tomlin is an average type of coach. He’s nothing special, was never any great coordinator with only one year as the Vikings def. coordinator with his int near the bottom of the league.
He’s set in his ways, stubborn and does not surround himself with quality coordinators and assistants.
We’ll see how he responds to this but when your job is always secure, there is no pressure and I blame Art for this. This guy needs to be on the hot seat coaching for his job.

The Pats are giving the Eagles all they can handle. The pats have nowhere near the talent. They are starting 2 rookies on the OL and are able to block the best DL in the league. The defense has Hurts frustrated. The offense is struggling but is moving the ball.

Pats may not win this but they're in a game where they are outmatched athletically. That's good coaching.

The Steelers only win when they have a talent advantage.

The Pats are giving the Eagles all they can handle. The pats have nowhere near the talent. They are starting 2 rookies on the OL and are able to block the best DL in the league. The defense has Hurts frustrated. The offense is struggling but is moving the ball.

Pats may not win this but they're in a game where they are outmatched athletically. That's good coaching.

All I know is the other 47 players that had helmets and the entire coaching staff all owe Mr Watt an apology for not showing up today. That's not all on the coaches. They all share responsibility.

Yeah, that's a long-running disappointment for me watching other teams excel with less.

Any criticism of the defense needs to be tempered by the fact that they were on the field for 2/3rds of the game.

Some of that was put on themselves. They couldn't stop a damn thing in the first half before they even had a chance to get tired.

They also came out of half time nice and rested only to give up a game-breaking run by McCaffery.

The whole team **** the bed today. It's hard to attribute the failings of one unit to another.

Nah, it is a league wide issue and I blame the NFLPA for not letting players get enough contact and work in the offseason/preseason. Look at the Ravens, holy **** the injury issues.
The league has changed since the last lockout from an injury perspective

Kyle shanahan made his bones as an OC. Our OC is Matt Canada. the question mark you had in your head all along.

OUR DC is Teryl Austin. Fired from the bungals.. I know we have the horses . Our trainers suck balls.
This then this then this, when you turn around go down the hill take a sharp turn at what the **** avenue until you come to then thisavenue.

I keep waiting for this teams coaching staff to wake up and make adjustments… but the same **** year after year. They collect a paycheck and have fancy spin words but the lack of preparedness is atrocious.

Pickett looked terrible, but a lot of good QBs struggled. Mahomes was not good, Burrow was really bad, Lamar only threw for 170, Hurts, Herbert were mediocre etc etc....I still think Pickett will be fine. If they still look like this 3 games in then I will start to worry. The defense was concerning. Aiyuk may as well been Jerry Rice, and the run defense was not solid. SF is one of the best teams and their defense is one of the best in the league so not super concerned yet. Coaching is still an issue, the jet sweep after a nice gain seemed to just kill the team. With a young team on opening day need to stick to basics. Also not tossing it up to Pickens was just stupid. Not sure if it was Kenny or Canada, but he needs some 50-50 balls. Punting is still an issue. Harvin did win the battle coming out of camp, but I think its time to find someone new. I have nothing against the guy, but he is just not doing it come game time.

There is clearly two camps here. There is a qb is the problem camp and a coaches are the problem camp. Thing is there have been three qbs in the last three years.
The consistent issue has been choice of OC as the last two have had issues and not been creative enough at play calling. I don't think the "system" is bad but I think the person tasked with deciding what to run in game is bad when the pressure is on to scheme against the opponent.

First game I know but Big Ben was thrown to the wolfs by the same thing we witnessed today; short go nowhere passes. Nothing down the field, little in the middle.
Defense with some sad coverage, poor tackling.

Expect way better next week. San Fran came in ready to play and they looked the part.