• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three possible quarterback options for next season

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Though the Pittsburgh Steelers‘ focus is currently on their playoff match-up against the 2nd-seed Kansas City Chiefs, the elephant in the room remains in the Steelers locker room and front office: who will replace Ben Roethlisberger next season?

Since being drafted in 2004, “Big Ben” has ruled both Pittsburgh and the AFC North, winning eight division titles and two Super Bowls during his time with the Steelers. At age 39, all signs point to Ben Roethlisberger’s retirement following the Steelers’ current playoff run. This will bring many new challenges for the Steelers front office and coaching staff, who have not needed to find a new quarterback since 2004 (with the exception of the 2019 season as Roethlisberger was out for most of the year due to an elbow injury).

Here are three potential quarterback options the Steelers have for 2022-2023:

Dwayne Haskins / Mason Rudolph​

Though most Steelers fans will resent the idea of handing the offense over to one of these two, both quarterbacks could develop into solid bridge quarterbacks while the Steelers search for their full-time solution. Both Rudolph and Haskins have starting experience on their resume, and with Najee Harris in the backfield, they could easily manage games while the front office evaluates replacement options.

Neither quarterback has a stellar past as a starter. Haskins saw the field in 16 games in Washington throughout the 2019 and 2020 seasons, completing 60.1% of his passes for 2,804 yards, 12 touchdowns, and 14 interceptions. Haskins did, however, record decent numbers in the 2021 preseason, yet could not climb higher than third-string on the Steelers depth chart this year.

Steelers fans are already familiar with another possible quarterback option, Mason Rudolph. Rudolph has seen action in 17 games during his career with the Steelers, making numerous starts and posting wildly average statistics. Rudolph has completed 61.5% of his passes for 2,366 yards, 16 touchdowns, and 11 interceptions. Most recently, Rudolph saw the field on November 14th in the Steelers’ 16-16 tie with the Detroit Lions. Against the Lions, Rudolph threw the ball 50 times, completing 30 attempts for 242 yards, one touchdown, and one interception.

Gardner Minshew​

On January 10th, Bleacher Report published a list of potential trades we could see before 2023. The first option on that list was a mock trade which saw the Steelers give up a 2023 fourth-round draft pick in exchange for quarterback Gardner Minshew from the Philadelphia Eagles. Minshew, who debuted in 2019, quickly became a fan favorite in Jacksonville and earned a starting role in what could be the NFL’s worst franchise. Minshew would play in 14 of the Jaguars’ 16 games in 2019, throwing for 3,271 yards, 21 touchdowns, and six interceptions. In 2020, Minshew would only see the field in nine of the Jaguars’ games before being traded to the Philadelphia Eagles following the Jaguars’ first overall pick of Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Minshew has seen the field four times for the Eagles this season, posting a 63.2% completion percentage, four touchdowns, and one interception, along with a 93.9 passer rating. Minshew, without a doubt, could be a standout player in the right environment but is yet to get his chance with a successful organization around him. Trading for Minshew feels like a low-risk, high-reward situation for the Steelers and one that I believe would benefit the franchise heading into next season.

The NFL Draft​

As the Steelers conclude their 2021 regular season, they finish with a record of 9-7-1, good enough for the 7th seed in the NFL playoffs and the 20th pick in the upcoming NFL Draft. For the Steelers, drafting a quarterback should be the last thing on the front office’s mind. The 2022 draft does not carry much talent at the quarterback position, and more than anything, Pittsburgh needs to start upgrading their offensive line, which will likely start with their first-round draft pick.

If, by chance, the Steelers do decide to trade up and take Ben Roethlisberger’s replacement, here are two possible quarterbacks that could be on the Steelers’ radar:

Matt Coral, Ole Miss

Most mock drafts have Matt Coral, the electric quarterback who led the Ole Miss Rebels to a 10-2 record and a Sugar Bowl appearance, going in the top 10. Still, if the deal was sweet enough, there is no reason that Pittsburgh couldn’t trade up into the top 10 and pick Coral. During his senior season with Ole Miss under head coach Lane Kiffen, Coral threw for 3,349 yards, 20 touchdowns, and five interceptions. Being a dual-threat quarterback, Coral also rushed for 614 yards and 11 touchdowns before rolling his ankle and missing most of the Rebels’ 21-7 loss to Baylor in the Sugar Bowl.

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh

Kenny Pickett finished his senior season at Pitt with an invitation to New York, finishing third in Heisman voting. Pickett led his team to an 11-2 record, a conference title and a Peach Bowl appearance. He was one of college football’s most significant storylines this season. Most mock drafts have Pickett going later in the first round, so hypothetically the Steelers would not need to trade up to draft him. In 2021 Pickett threw for 4,319 yards, 42 touchdowns, and only seven interceptions while completing 67.2% of his passes. After attending Pitt, Kenny Pickett is already familiar with Pittsburgh’s football culture. He could see the field immediately if the Steelers decide to use their first-round pick to take him.

Replacing Ben Roethlisberger is a near-impossible task for the Steelers. Roethlisberger leads the Steelers in nearly every passing category and has won his franchise two Super Bowl rings and numerous other accolades. The fact of the matter is that nothing lasts forever, including Big Ben, yet the question remains: who will replace the Steelers’ legendary quarterback? Click to comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

the only way to get either of the QBs in the draft is to trade up... which isnt going to happen
Minshew might be better than Rudolph and Haskins, but the highest we should go for a trade is a 6th rounder

I would go with Mason for at least the next year for a couple reasons. One I don’t think he is terrible, his numbers are average but they fall within his first 16 starts so far and he has been hamstrung by bad line play and play calling as has Ben. Second and almost more importantly he in essence becomes the rebound QB. YOu never want to be the guy who replaces a Hall of Famer. Why do that to someone else and potentially ruin them. Mad on might succeed but even if he fails he sets the table for the next guy to be his replacement not Ben’s and with a better draft pick if he fails. He gets his chance and acts as the sacrificial lamb following Ben.

I think Bridgewater or Trubinsky can win here with the right surrounding cast. I can't see them going after anyone that requires much draft capital, because they need the picks.
They will only select a QB if the right person falls.

I continue to think Colbert looks around the league and tries to pull a relatively young and solid veteran QB out of a rabbit's hat. Case in point is SF and Jimmy Garoppolo, with 1st round pick Trey Lance breathing down his neck. It's a situation like that the Steelers may look to exploit, if the rumors are true that Tomlin wants to move ahead with a vet over a rookie.

Gardner Minshew - ???? Oh God Hell No.

If the Steelers do not get an Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson, and odds are they won't due to cost (Rodgers more because it has to be a trade)

Here's my top list of guys outside the organization and reasoning:

Jameis Winston - Experienced, 5,000-yard passer (1 of only 8 QBs to accomplish the feat in a season) and former #1 pick. He threw way too many INTs, but he also had a heavy turnover of OCs and never had a running game. He always reminded me a little of Big Ben and is cut from the same mold. Ben threw a lot of INTs over the years, but he was gradually brought into more passing strategy as he matured as a QB. Winston was thrown to the wolves in a disastrous Tampa organization that had no stability and no running game. Let him do as he was doing before the injury in New Orleans - go run heavy with Alvin Kamara/Najee Harris and let him throw as the game dictates it. The strategy made Ben into a Hall of Famer and was working for Winston to a 5-2, 14 TD/3 INT start of this season before the ACL injury. The Cap-Strapped Saints ($68M projected over the cap) might bid against the Steelers for the FA services, and might even get a home town discount, though its hard to see after the deal offered for Taysom Hill but probably for youth/experience/talent/potential Winston is best fit on the market.

Mitchell Trubisky - Experienced, highly touted former 1st round pick who guided Chicago Bears to 2 playoff runs (and did not necessarily play bad in either playoff start). He's forever linked to the ill-fated trade up from 3rd to 2nd when DeShaun Watson and more importantly Patrick Mahomes were on the board. The Chicago Bears haven't been able to develop a quality QB since Sid Luckman (he was pre-WWII) and under the stewardship of HC Matt Nagy and GM Ryan Pace, they were fast on route to destroying a 2nd QB taken in the top-11 in just 4 years. Trubisky went to Buffalo to study the methodology of how Josh Allen developed and he could be a good fit to become a Tommy Maddox or Alex Smith type, maybe not good enough to be the long term guy, but good enough until a chance to go after a true franchise QB comes along. He would also come relatively inexpensive against the cap with little to no risk.

Carsen Wentz - The last two games of the season have given rise to a lot of buyers remorse to the Colts as Wentz struggled. He seemed perfectly suited to the form that had him throwing when needed and balancing out the offense for Johnathon Taylor to led the NFL in rushing and TDs. Wentz is not cut and potentially may not be at all, but it is a possibility as he would instantly save the Colts $13M of cap room - to say nothing of the the $53.4M he will count against the cap in 2023-24. So what the Colts do as far as trading/cutting is an interesting watch. I've personally always been high on Wentz, even if he has a penchant for throwing INTs. He also has a penchant for making big plays - and if you consider the playmakers he has to work with in Indianapolis -- Michael Pittman Jr. is one of the weakest #1 WRs in the NFL and there is no #2 or TE - he could thrive with DJ, Muth, Chase and Najee to to work with. The key to him is he is a possible trade or release, so uncertainty in acquiring him is in question.

Baker Mayfield - NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. WOULD TAKE GARDNER MINSHEW FIRST.

if you want to go with a backup as the starter next season

Get Case Keenum off the browns

if wentz were cut, I would definitely kick the tires and see what happens

Jameis Winston is probably the most realistic and intriguing FA in the market. And if he continues to play like he did this year, we would instantly be a top contender.

But most likely- I would ride with a Mason/Haskin combo and draft either Corral or Willis.

My issue with Pickett is i.) The draft capital required to move up to get him and ii.) I believe that he is pretty much maxed out. Smart player who has continually improved, but all the top young QB's in this league have a rocket for an arm, or are super athletic, or a combination of the two. He feels very average in both areas. Everything about him feels like another Mitch Trubisky.

Jameis Winston is probably the most realistic and intriguing FA in the market. And if he continues to play like he did this year, we would instantly be a top contender.

But most likely- I would ride with a Mason/Haskin combo and draft either Corral or Willis.

My issue with Pickett is i.) The draft capital required to move up to get him and ii.) I believe that he is pretty much maxed out. Smart player who has continually improved, but all the top young QB's in this league have a rocket for an arm, or are super athletic, or a combination of the two. He feels very average in both areas. Everything about him feels like another Mitch Trubisky.
I don't want Pickett at all for one reason - scouts say he has small hands. Ben had the biggest of course and those pump fakes worked because of it. Unlikely we'll ever see anyone like him again in that regard, but small handed QBs like Pickett suffer a lot of fumbles, struggle in bad weather and rarely make it on a consistent level..

Minshew is the Eagles back-up QB for 2022. I would think they would want at least a 3rd and a credible back-up ready to be signed before parting with him.

I don't want Pickett at all for one reason - scouts say he has small hands. Ben had the biggest of course and those pump fakes worked because of it. Unlikely we'll ever see anyone like him again in that regard, but small handed QBs like Pickett suffer a lot of fumbles, struggle in bad weather and rarely make it on a consistent level..

Honestly, given the QB situation they're in, I would roll the dice on the small hands, given his other potential attributes.

I think he'll be gone by the Steelers' pick anyway.

I continue to think Colbert looks around the league and tries to pull a relatively young and solid veteran QB out of a rabbit's hat. Case in point is SF and Jimmy Garoppolo, with 1st round pick Trey Lance breathing down his neck. It's a situation like that the Steelers may look to exploit, if the rumors are true that Tomlin wants to move ahead with a vet over a rookie.
I think this part is misunderstood. I don't think Tomlin is against drafting a talented QB. I do think, however, that he is against starting the drafted QB right away. Kind of like when Faneca was asked if he was excited about Ben and he said (paraphrasing): "No. Do you want to go to work with some kid fresh out of college?".

If we go with Haskins for 1 year we would probably have the top pick in the 2023 draft

I don't want any of those options. I think we make our move in the 2023 draft for our future guy. Next year we are probably stuck with Mason.

Bah they would just be backing up Aaron Rodgers anyways.

I'd draft Pickett or no qb at all. I wouldn't break the bank on any 35+ year old qb either, not unless I was fairly certain I had a championship level team.

I'd probably go the very unsexy route and draft either OL or DL round one. Though that big monster Davis no.99 for Georgia would look fantastic on the Steelers defensive line.

Minshew is better than what we have. They would want more than he is worth.
That's like saying garbage is a level above trash.

Would rather let Haskins have a shot -- he may be a knucklehead but he's got talent. And TBH, they already know today if he's done the work required to even be considered for a shot. Showing up on time, in shape, etc. If he's still a knucklehead, we won't need to wait till next season to find out.

I think this part is misunderstood. I don't think Tomlin is against drafting a talented QB. I do think, however, that he is against starting the drafted QB right away. Kind of like when Faneca was asked if he was excited about Ben and he said (paraphrasing): "No. Do you want to go to work with some kid fresh out of college?".
If that kid "fresh out of college" was a top prospect... someone in the top 10 on everyone's board... I think he'd be open to it.

But if it's a J.P. Losman, Johnny Manzell, or another obvious reach... naw.

The question we should be asking is what QB that may be available is better than Ben at 39? I'm not sure any of those mentioned would be an improvement.

The Steelers will take their lumps next year with Rudolph/Haskins, and hopefully find Ben's heir in the '23 draft.