• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three possible quarterback options for next season

Where will 49ers' Jimmy Garoppolo play in 2022? Broncos, Steelers, Washington among 13 logical landing spots

Jimmy Garoppolo came within one win of making his second Super Bowl start in three seasons as the 49ers' starting quarterback, falling to the Rams in the NFC Championship on Sunday night. With rookie Trey Lance waiting in the wings, however, and the 30-year-old Garoppolo due more than $25 million in 2022, the veteran signal-caller acknowledged reality in the wake of San Francisco's loss: he's probably played his last game with the 49ers.

Who knows what Lance will actually bring to the table, offering more athleticism but less proven NFL passing? But after an injury-riddled and mostly passable performance as the 2021 starter, Garoppolo will almost surely be traded or released this offseason, saving the 49ers virtually his entire 2022 salary in the process. As a whole, he's probably reached his ceiling as a starting QB: good enough to make a legitimate run, but not necessarily to win it all (a common issue around the league, if you haven't noticed). But that's more than some teams currently have at QB, so he figures to have a decent market.

Where, exactly, could Garoppolo end up? Here are logical landing spots:

The favorites

Steelers: They need a long-term answer after Ben Roethlisberger's retirement, but even if they spend an early pick at QB, Garoppolo would make for a logical stopgap, considering Mike Tomlin is always coaching for the playoffs and has the pieces to lean on the ground and defense moving forward.

CBS going out on a limb naming 13 teams...

Garoppolo doesn't fit the mold of a mobile QB. He'd get beat up behind our line as currently constructed.

Howell will be there at 20....

He is the only one they are seriously considering..

The debate within the hallowed halls of Heinz Field is whether to select him or not..

If the draft was tomorrow....meet your future Steeler Nation.

IMHO.
The Steelers are that high on a 6'1" QB? Yeah, same height as Baker in Cleveland...no thanks. That's an instant no-go for me.

The Steelers are that high on a 6'1" QB? Yeah, same height as Baker in Cleveland...no thanks. That's an instant no-go for me.
He's barely over 6 feet and his play fell off when his talented teammates went to the NFL.

Well, maybe. I happen to think it would be a decent match, for both us, and Garoppolo.

I don't think he is a franchise but the guy is a winner. Something to be said for that...

I don't think he is a franchise but the guy is a winner. Something to be said for that...

Yeah, I'm thinking he could be *the guy* for at least a couple of years.

When faced with the prospect of adding a new QB, we must ask ourselves a simple, existential question: "Is Jimmy Garropolo significantly better than Mason Rudolph and/or Dwayne Haskins?" I believe the answer to be a resounding yes.

No! We do not want Jimmy G. or anyone else that will cost us high draft picks and a lot of capital. If Rooney did that, it would just prove beyond a shadow of a doubt how terrible he is at running the team. Spending that for a stopgap would be the worst possible scenario for the future of the team.

I doubt Garropolo gets traded, he is due 24 mil salary. He more likely gets released and signs somewhere as a free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if
Cousins is also released. There could be quite a few decent QB's on free agent market. Will surprise me if Steelers don't sign one of them.

I doubt Garropolo gets traded, he is due 24 mil salary. He more likely gets released and signs somewhere as a free agent. I wouldn't be surprised if
Cousins is also released. There could be quite a few decent QB's on free agent market. Will surprise me if Steelers don't sign one of them.

Totally with you on this, 21. I firmly believe there's a plan in place to add a relatively high-caliber, veteran QB to be a transitional starter for a few years, following the Big Ben dynasty.

If we can get someone like Jimmy G. or Cousins without giving away the draft picks and super high cap hit, then that could work but no way should we even entertain giving away picks and capital with how much this team needs to even make it close to truly competitive.

Howell will be there at 20....

He is the only one they are seriously considering..

The debate within the hallowed halls of Heinz Field is whether to select him or not..

If the draft was tomorrow....meet your future Steeler Nation.

IMHO.
I still say Howell = Bubby

I've heard people call Howell a poor man's Mayfield but then they go on to say Howell has a better arm. So, I'm not sure how bad that would be if he has a better arm than Mayfield.

They asked a 3rd round Guard to change positions to start as a Center instead of a veteran who is experienced at playing the hardest spot on the OL. Still can't figure that one out.
But don't forget...they followed it up with a fourth round tackle!
Championshipppppp!

I would be thrilled if they got Jameis or Minshew....
but the reality is that they won't get either one of those guys.
It's going to be Mason

I've read a few scouting reports on Howell and one thing that stands out is that he isn't an accurate passer on the run...that's a deal breaker for me.

In case the Steelers want to get ahead of the curve & not take their chances to see which QB's get cut and hit the FA wire.

49ers beat writer Cam Inman speculates that the price for Jimmy Garoppolo in trade could be a "Day 2 draft pick ... be it in 2022 or 2023."

Considering how many physical ailments will need to be checked off after this year, that price makes some sense. The Panthers, Commanders, Broncos, Texans, Steelers, and Buccaneers have all been tied to Garoppolo at various points of this offseason. Some of those teams aren't exactly ideal schematic fits. There also could be more spots opened up by various dominos falling, such as movement by Aaron Rodgers or Russell Wilson.