• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three possible quarterback options for next season

Agree on Pickett but didn't you hear? Aaron Rodgers is coming because he likes Mike Tomlin.
I'm sure Rodgers does like Tomlin. Reality is most outside of Pittsburgh do and the fanbase will criticize and hate on him until he retires, then we'll change our tune and remember him fondly while we hate the next guy.

Same thing happened to Noll and Cowher after all.

And so far as Rodgers coming to Pittsburgh -- I CAN see it happening, except I just don't know how they do it as a trade instead of FA. Rodgers has that "poison pill" that basically is an out for him on his contract (unless they come up with an extension, there is no possible way Packers can retain him with his cap hit and their cap room: 31st in league at being over the cap at -$38M)
  • If traded before June 1st, he has a cap hit of $27M
  • If retain him as current, after June 1st he has cap hit of $46M
With Devonte Adams as a FA, along with other built-in "potential outs" by RB Aaron Jones and LT David Bakhtiari on top of all the other FAs -- this playoff run might be even more the Packers last ride than the Steelers.

I’d take a flyer on Stetson Bennett in the 6-7 range and sit back and laugh as he beats out the current returning QB options or a bridge vet

No early QB until we solidly both LOS

I really do want to like him and hope he succeeds in the NFL, but I don't see him going further than college.

Gardner Minshew - ???? Oh God Hell No.
Very curious to hear you reasons why? The numbers he's put up say he has potential, especially with the limited talent he's had to work with when he does play...

I’d take a flyer on Stetson Bennett in the 6-7 range and sit back and laugh as he beats out the current returning QB options or a bridge vet

No early QB until we solidly both LOS
He showed up drunk to an interview on GMA. He's not the kind of character you want. Haskins looks downright responsible next to this kid.

I look at it this way.

You're a great receiver. Not necessarily elite, but you've improved every season and you are absolutely becoming one of the guys to watch as your career develops. Then you get a small tear on your ACL. It's not a full tear, just a small one.

You have a couple choices.

A) End your season, get the knee repaired full and come back and get to it next season.

B) Get a really nice knee brace and tape the knee up like a ************ and hope it holds up well enough to get you some good numbers and let you do the surgery after the season is over.

Going for a high profile guy like Wilson or Rodgers is the equivalent of buying a really nice knee brace and just hoping it holds up. The responsible thing the do, the long-term thing to do, the RIGHT thing to do is to repair the knee and give yourself a fighting chance in the future. (IE, ride with Mason/Haskins and build for the future. Get a blue-chip franchise QB option when you have opportunity and cap space.

If they don't focus on the glaring weaknesses in the offensive line, it doesn't matter who the **** is back there, it's just tape on a bad knee.

He showed up drunk to an interview on GMA. He's not the kind of character you want. Haskins looks downright responsible next to this kid.
That’s laughable
He got drunk after winning a championship like over half of athletes do…won’t fault him a second for that-celebrate away

How many Steelers do ya think got lit after their last SB victory…none??? That’s right they were all low character or choir boys lol

He has been a character kind of kid his whole career

I'm sure Rodgers does like Tomlin. Reality is most outside of Pittsburgh do and the fanbase will criticize and hate on him until he retires, then we'll change our tune and remember him fondly while we hate the next guy.

Same thing happened to Noll and Cowher after all.

And so far as Rodgers coming to Pittsburgh -- I CAN see it happening, except I just don't know how they do it as a trade instead of FA. Rodgers has that "poison pill" that basically is an out for him on his contract (unless they come up with an extension, there is no possible way Packers can retain him with his cap hit and their cap room: 31st in league at being over the cap at -$38M)
  • If traded before June 1st, he has a cap hit of $27M
  • If retain him as current, after June 1st he has cap hit of $46M
With Devonte Adams as a FA, along with other built-in "potential outs" by RB Aaron Jones and LT David Bakhtiari on top of all the other FAs -- this playoff run might be even more the Packers last ride than the Steelers.
Rodgers isn't coming here for two reasons:
1. Our all-new OL this year sucks.
2. Because of #1, next year's OL will be all new too and will still suck.

To be fair, we don't know if Haskins is still a knucklehead or has learned anything .... yet.

Though I'm sure the team and coaches know if he's doing what he should be doing or if he's coasting.

Rodgers isn't coming here for two reasons:
1. Our all-new OL this year sucks.
2. Because of #1, next year's OL will be all new too and will still suck.
That's Cleveland Browns logic.

It really doesn't take an overhaul to have a great OL. There wasn't a massive turnover from 2003 to 2004 to go from one of worst OL in league due to injury to one of the best.... granted yes we had Alan Faneca as a HoFer to anchor it, but Keydrick Vincent and Oliver Ross weren't exactly guys you build an OL around and they both started all 16 games on the right side.

If we can just upgrade 2 positions, especially with a FA, the OL can really make a massive improvement alongside the experience factor.

I would go after Mitch Trubisky, he's a young, reasonable option and they can still build through the draft. Plus, he sat behind Josh Allen for a season.
Yep! Thats who I would go after. Don't have to trade for him and he shouldn't command a huge salary. Load it with a lot of performance clauses. The guy has a good TD/INT ratio, and he has a playoff and pro bowl to his resume.Unfortunately he was stuck with a crappy Bears team that didn't know how to surround him with any play makers. Get this guy who at 28 and surround him with good skill players which we have and fix our OL and I think he can make the loss of Ben more tolerable. No, I do not want the injury plagued Mariotta!

Minshew is the Eagles back-up QB for 2022. I would think they would want at least a 3rd and a credible back-up ready to be signed before parting with him.
Strictly a back-up!

That's how I took things as well. They've spent a lot of time looking at Howell. I could also see them going after a guy like Malik Willis. If the Steelers would take a rookie, how would you rank them? Not just talent, but round you would take them.

Matt Corral
Kenny Pickett
Malik Willis
Carson Strong
Desmond Ridder
Sam Howell
No one on this list jumps out at me whatsoever! I do know that Steelers have sent scouts on a couple occasions to scout Sam Howell. Don't know if there is anything to it or not but they seem interested in Sam. He's been pretty consistent during his career which is good. Picket had one good season and I think he'll be like 24 his rookie year. The others just seem like backups to me and I wouldn't waste a number one on them. Not a good year for QB's but who the hell really knows.

That's Cleveland Browns logic.

It really doesn't take an overhaul to have a great OL. There wasn't a massive turnover from 2003 to 2004 to go from one of worst OL in league due to injury to one of the best.... granted yes we had Alan Faneca as a HoFer to anchor it, but Keydrick Vincent and Oliver Ross weren't exactly guys you build an OL around and they both started all 16 games on the right side.

If we can just upgrade 2 positions, especially with a FA, the OL can really make a massive improvement alongside the experience factor.
Also they seem to be slightly better since the window-licking OL coach left and was replaced by his assistant and the starting center was replaced with a backup.

Reactions: wig
Very curious to hear you reasons why? The numbers he's put up say he has potential, especially with the limited talent he's had to work with when he does play...
20+ years of watching QBs that have been flash in the pans while waiting for Ben and since.

6th round picks for my QB, no thanks. Yeah, yeah, Tom Brady, yeah, yeah. The Powerball is only hit once.

Not interested in a 6 foot QB with limited arm strength and deceiving stats. That's a Dave Krieg at best.

That’s laughable
He got drunk after winning a championship like over half of athletes do…won’t fault him a second for that-celebrate away

How many Steelers do ya think got lit after their last SB victory…none??? That’s right they were all low character or choir boys lol

It was the next day, dude. He was STILL drunk.

Also they seem to be slightly better since the window-licking OL coach left and was replaced by his assistant and the starting center was replaced with a backup.
They asked a 3rd round Guard to change positions to start as a Center instead of a veteran who is experienced at playing the hardest spot on the OL. Still can't figure that one out.

It was the next day, dude. He was STILL drunk.
That’s laughable

I was there when they won their last Super Bowl, at the hotel partying with them. Quite frankly, not one of them did anything remotely close to drunk stupid.

Keisel was feeling a good buzz when he said he's taken 1000 pictures and will be in 1000 more. Ben was an arrogant prick who wouldn't take a photo unless it was with a hot chick.

Of course there was a hot chick next to me who outright said to me she would let Heath Miller do whatever he wanted with her (and tried - Heath laughed and walked away). Thats when I started signing autographs pretending to be the back up Tight End.

Troy was in a suit and sat quietly with family, nobody wanted to intrude to ask for a picture! Santonio Holmes never came down from his room, staying with his kids. James Harrison acted like he simply did the job he was paid to do and didn't overly celebrate at all.

Hines and Farrior were seriously happy campers. Tomlin slept till 3 am and showed up, said he was going to see if anyone was still around and would stay the rest of the night if people were there... they were!

The OL kinda hung out on their own and were chill. Had a nice chat with Willie Colon.

So, no....they didn't get drunk and make ***** of themselves.

Go with Rudolph. Use your cap space to bring in a veteran, CB, ILBer, RB and WR. Go hard drafting in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

Go with Rudolph. Use your cap space to bring in a veteran, CB, ILBer, RB and WR. Go hard drafting in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
For the first time in a long time, the Steelers have a lot of cap space ($45M - 9th most) and 3rd most with a projected $178M in 2023 (means a lot room to restructure and sign Fitzpatrick and DJ).

To heck with Rudolph, why waste the prime years of Watt, Fitzpatrick, Najee, DJ, Muth and perhaps the final run of Heyward? There adequate money to make a run at a Winston or Rodgers... and improve the OL/DL.

For the first time in a long time, the Steelers have a lot of cap space ($45M - 9th most) and 3rd most with a projected $178M in 2023 (means a lot room to restructure and sign Fitzpatrick and DJ).

To heck with Rudolph, why waste the prime years of Watt, Fitzpatrick, Najee, DJ, Muth and perhaps the final run of Heyward? There adequate money to make a run at a Winston or Rodgers... and improve the OL/DL.
With a team good at squeezing numbers you would think they are almost sitting on a pot of gold. So yeah squatting and not attempting to upgrade QB wouldn't be a smart move. If Carr became available I would be ok with that and I am back n forth on Wilson...Rodgers despite team deficiencies makes the team a contender.

Gardner Minshew - ???? Oh God Hell No.
That's like saying garbage is a level above trash.

Would rather let Haskins have a shot -- he may be a knucklehead but he's got talent. And TBH, they already know today if he's done the work required to even be considered for a shot. Showing up on time, in shape, etc. If he's still a knucklehead, we won't need to wait till next season to find out.
20+ years of watching QBs that have been flash in the pans while waiting for Ben and since.

6th round picks for my QB, no thanks. Yeah, yeah, Tom Brady, yeah, yeah. The Powerball is only hit once.

Not interested in a 6 foot QB with limited arm strength and deceiving stats. That's a Dave Krieg at best.
First of all, since you're a facts and data guy: Minshew is 6'1".

Secondly, what "deceiving stats"? Minshew has thrown 41 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in his career. I don't give a **** what round he was drafted in, a nearly 3-and-a-half to 1 TD to INT ratio for an NFL quarterback is pretty good. On the other hand, Haskins, the guy you'd rather give a shot, has 12 touchdowns and 14 interceptions in his storied career.

Kind of funny, when you spent so much time bashing a poster in another thread for not understanding the importance of turnovers.

YES! I may be the biggest supporter of Brennan Armstrong on this board.

He was leading the nation in passing until he broke his ribs in the game against BYU October 30th. Pretty good chance he would have finished as the nations leading passer had he not got injured. He missed the following weeks game against Notre Dame and Virginia didn't play their bowl game because of COVID. He was under consideration for the Heisman untill he was injured. One of the big reason I believe Armstrong's name isn't included with the others mentioned is because of Virginia's record. They finished 6-6. Despite Armstrong putting up big numbers each week, Virginia's defense was one of the worst in the country. It seemed each week Armstrong had to put his team on his back every game. No quarterback meant more for their team than Brennan Armstrong. It was quite evident in the Notre Dame game when he didn't play.

He is a redshirt senior next season but he has submitted paperwork to the NFL to gauge where the scouts think he would be drafted. As of today, he hasn't delcared for the draft as he is still waiting on the NFL evaluation. His former coach at Virginia, Bronco Mendenhall, was quoted a few weeks ago from his sources in the NFL, "“The letter will say, recommend for him to come back to school, and continue to break every passing record and winning record in the galaxy,” says Mendenhall, “and then go on and win Super Bowls, and be in the Pro Bowl, and everything else you’re going to do, after one more year of college.”

Virginia has a new head coach, offensive coordinator and lost most of their starting offensive line through the transfer portal. So, if he stays for another year, who knows if he puts up the same numbers he did this season. He still has weapons as WR. If he stays, it is my hope the Steelers end up drafting him in 2023. It would be a dream come true to have BA in the Black & Gold.

For the record, I am not a UVA fan. I'm a fan of Brennan Armstrong.
I tuned in to a couple of UVA games this year, and I like Armstrong as well. He's mobile and accurate, tough, seems to understand where to go with the ball, and is fun to watch. And he's left-handed, as I'm sure you know.

If he decides to come out this year, I'd love to see the Steelers take a flier on Armstrong in a later round if he's still available. He's a future first round pick for sure if he stays in school.