• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Three possible quarterback options for next season

Just my opinion, but they should only roll the dice on drafting a QB this year if they think he'll be better than what will be on the board next year.
Drafting a QB in rounds 3-6 is almost always a wasted pick, kind of like drafting a punter.
I honestly thought they would end the season 7-9-1 and would consider someone like Pickett with that spot in the draft, but they didn't, and there
are too many holes to fill that a QB won't address.

Despite our success- this year was already a rebuild.

A rookie QB would have the benefit of:
  • An OL with a bit more experience (and probably a FA addition)
  • A solid RB and TE
  • A solid WR corp
  • Arguably a great defense
So there is absolute no reason to delay the inevitable. Also, even if roll with Mason/Haskins and dont draft a QB, were unlikely to lose enough to be in the top-5, and then we are in the same position we are in today.

Lastly- this whole "build the line first!" argument is outdated and flawed. Allen, Herbert, and Mahomes all struggled (or are stuggling) with poor OL play. So if they see a guy that they feel is the heir apparent, you run and grab him.

Lastly- this whole "build the line first!" argument is outdated and flawed. Allen, Herbert, and Mahomes all struggled (or are stuggling) with poor OL play. So if they see a guy that they feel is the heir apparent, you run and grab him.
So a rookie QB is comparable to Allen, Herbert, and Mahomes. See the Cleveland Browns for the last 20 years if you think drafting a QB will fix a weak offense.

I think Bridgewater or Trubinsky can win here with the right surrounding cast. I can't see them going after anyone that requires much draft capital, because they need the picks.
They will only select a QB if the right person falls.

You're a #1 Best Selling novel writer, yes?

So a rookie QB is comparable to Allen, Herbert, and Mahomes. See the Cleveland Browns for the last 20 years if you think drafting a QB will fix a weak offense.

When Allen, Herbert, and Mahomes came into the league, they started with below-average OL play. Yet their QB-play made the entire offense that much better. Not one of these teams or fanbases wished they had drafted a C/G/T instead.

Also- you can't use the ineptitude of the Browns as a example, for basically anything related to football. Just because they've sucked, and for so long, that shouldnt be any reason for us to delay finding our QB of the future.

ADD in the fact that our OL ranks bottom or VERY near bottom and pick one, Mahomes OL has the #1 ranked center in football (not just rookies) and I'd bet all these named QBs OLs are ranked 20 or above so they have better lines than you may think. As a rookie Mr. Mahomes had one of the better OL in the league (I think two pro bowlers).

Salute the nation

ADD in the fact that our OL ranks bottom or VERY near bottom and pick one, Mahomes OL has the #1 ranked center in football (not just rookies) and I'd bet all these named QBs OLs are ranked 20 or above so they have better lines than you may think. As a rookie Mr. Mahomes had one of the better OL in the league (I think two pro bowlers).

Salute the nation

The Bengals also have a bad line, but they have the 7th ranked offense.
The Bills have a middling line (which is kind), and have a top-3 offense.

There is a reason its called the most important position in sports. If you have a star under center, it elevates the entire offense (and team by proxy). So that should ALWAYS be the priority.

When Allen, Herbert, and Mahomes came into the league, they started with below-average OL play. Yet their QB-play made the entire offense that much better. Not one of these teams or fanbases wished they had drafted a C/G/T instead.

Also- you can't use the ineptitude of the Browns as a example, for basically anything related to football. Just because they've sucked, and for so long, that shouldnt be any reason for us to delay finding our QB of the future.
These QBs don't thrill me but you are absolutely correct. If the Steelers think there is a franchise guy there at 1.20, they'll take him. I'm beginning the process of accepting Sam Howell as our next QB.

The Bengals also have a bad line, but they have the 7th ranked offense.
The Bills have a middling line (which is kind), and have a top-3 offense.

There is a reason its called the most important position in sports. If you have a star under center, it elevates the entire offense (and team by proxy). So that should ALWAYS be the priority.

I hear what you are saying but also realize what Matt Canada does. Put either of those QBs behind this line combined with Canada's OC skills and you will see why it won't work. As Coach Tomlin said, Matt is here and will be here for coming season.

Those two teams have ranked offenses due to their OC & QB mostly.

I realize the importance of QB but also realize there should be no reach either. The STEELERS will do as they see fit but I just hope it isn't a wasted pick setting us further back. OL / DL this year and QB next because whatever falls to us may not be the value or the skill set. Deeper class next year.

Salute the nation

The Jags only received a 6th for Gardner Minshew so why do we give up a 4th? I would say Minshew’s value starts at a 6th rounder. I’d be ok adding him to the mix but all depends on the Eagles.

Most likely scenario is a veteran signing with a drafted QB and then Rudolph. I don’t think there’s a QB worth our first round pick so unless we trade back and stock up picks or a QB free falls I don’t think the draft will garner much help. Now if we can trade down into the second and grab a Kenny Pickett and get a few extra picks in day two to fill voids I’d be all for it. When you look at that offensive line we need to at least bring in 2-3 players for the bare minimum of competition. And our defensive line could probably use 2 more players to again provide competition and depth. And our receiving core is as best one starter away if not two. Johnson has stone hands and Claypool flops around like a fish out of water and lets the ball go through his hands.

This has been a painful season but I have the feeling next season will be a train wreck. I will hold out a slimmer of hope but I can't say I hold stock in them doing what is necessary to be better than mediocre. I deeply hope I am wrong. But if they bring in some scrub QB to compete with Rudy everyone better lower their expectations if it is higher than .500...

This has been a painful season but I have the feeling next season will be a train wreck. I will hold out a slimmer of hope but I can't say I hold stock in them doing what is necessary to be better than mediocre. I deeply hope I am wrong. But if they bring in some scrub QB to compete with Rudy everyone better lower their expectations if it is higher than .500...
I'd like to see a viable competitor for QB1 brought in also. However, if they actually improve the OL, I'd be pretty happy about that. I mean, run the offense through Najee like TN does with Henry and don't ask Rudolph/Haskins/? to carry the team. I could live with that while they work out how to find the heir.

I'd like to see a viable competitor for QB1 brought in also. However, if they actually improve the OL, I'd be pretty happy about that. I mean, run the offense through Najee like TN does with Henry and don't ask Rudolph/Haskins/? to carry the team. I could live with that while they work out how to find the heir.
I thought Tannehill had some moments before the Titans. Not sure Haskins or Rudy is capable of even mirroring that.

I don't want Pickett at all for one reason - scouts say he has small hands. Ben had the biggest of course and those pump fakes worked because of it. Unlikely we'll ever see anyone like him again in that regard, but small handed QBs like Pickett suffer a lot of fumbles, struggle in bad weather and rarely make it on a consistent level..
Pickett has an extra bone in this thumbs that allows him to grip the football. His accuracy is off the charts....better than any college QB I've seen in a long time....yes even better than Ben Roethlisberger.

Pickett has an extra bone in this thumbs that allows him to grip the football. His accuracy is off the charts....better than any college QB I've seen in a long time....yes even better than Ben Roethlisberger.
Ben's highest college completion rate was 69 percent. Pickett's was 67. ... And a 9.1 compared to a 8.7 Y/A.

Ben's highest college completion rate was 69 percent. Pickett's was 67. ... And a 9.1 compared to a 8.7 Y/A.
To be fair, completion percentage is not only a factor of the QBs accuracy (as we saw/see with drops on the Steelers). However, if we're looking at completion percentage, Pickett was only the 17th ranked college QB in terms of completion percentage THIS year.

So basically, a Coach Tomlin year. Coach Cowher isn't even dead yet and he is rolling over in his grave. That sit down with BEN showed how much passion he has for his STEELERS but also showed how much disappointment he has as well. Body language and demeaner say a lot.

Salute the nation

GREAT post and I emphasize a must on the OL improvement, viable high-end starters and not makeshift projects.

Salute the nation

Must be that new-fangled math they are teaching these days...................................................

Salute the nation

I'm a huge Pickett fan. His overall accuracy is good, but his ball placement isn't as good as his completion percentage would indicate. I wouldn't go as far to call it a weakness, just not a strength of his. He would also really struggle behind the Steelers offensive line because he escapes the pocket too soon and tends to roll to his right. A big area of development will be standing in and stepping up in the pocket to deliver passes. Early in his career he was awful at this. There was improvement this year, but it's still a significant weakness. I think his game compares to Carr's and I believe you'll see that comparison a lot as draft season kicks into gear.

I am ignorant but your debates are filled with digs. You are now worried about my post count and who I talk about and I am the one who should get a life? That is rich. You think highlighting something or posting in caps is supposed to intimidate me? You are laughable and I stand by my ******** comments. Nobody cares about... Yeah let's talk about what nobody cares about. Nobody cares about your meltdown. If you act like a twatwaffle I'll call you on it, which you did. Now merry go **** yourself...********.
Well, you got one part right. Congratulations.

You started the name-calling, stupid. Not me. Never really had any major issues with you in the past, so I honestly don't know what precipitated your actions. I don't attack anybody like that until they go after me. A meltdown? All I said before you called me a fucktarded ******** was that I was tired of listening to you talk in circles, and that I was going to bed. We'd pretty much agreed to disagree at that point; I guess that's acting like a "twatwaffle" in your little online world.

Naw, not trying to intimidate you, just emphasizing your fatuity in this particular discussion. Getting a life outside of this message board is certainly up to you...it was just a suggestion. I'm personally not all that worried about your post count, but whatever immediate family you have probably should be. However, I'm sure all of SteelerNation is on pins and needles awaiting your in-depth future "eval" of Kenny Pickett, along with your latest Coach insult, so please...carry on.

Last edited:
Well, you got one part right. Congratulations.

You starting the name-calling, stupid. Not me. Never really had any major issues with you in the past, so I honestly don't know what precipitated your actions. I don't attack anybody like that until they go after me. A meltdown? All I said before you called me a fucktarded ******** was that I was tired of listening to you talk in circles, and that I was going to bed. We'd pretty much agreed to disagree at that point; I guess that's acting like a "twatwaffle" in your little online world.

Naw, not trying to intimidate you, just emphasizing your fatuity in this particular discussion. Getting a life outside of this message board is certainly up to you...it was just a suggestion. I'm personally not all that worried about your post count, but whatever immediate family you have probably should be. However, I'm sure all of SteelerNation is on pins and needles awaiting your in-depth future "eval" of Kenny Pickett, along with your latest Coach insult, so please...carry on.
You can shove your suggestion and fucktarded opinions up your ***. You visit this board frequently so you must not have a life either. Your debates are filled with digs and I know other posters have told you to go **** yourself for good reason. So that is why you were called a twatwaffle because you act like one, and still are acting like one. You offer little support for your fucktarded opinions but you are the smartest guy in the room. I wasn't talking in circles ******** I was debating you. Explaining my opinion because you seemed to lack comprehension. So let's talk facts simpleton. Pickett was a one year wonder and it took him a year longer than most to shine. Hines has very little coaching experience. Now you said your peace now run along you bore me.

You can shove your suggestion and fucktarded opinions up your ***. You visit this board frequently so you must not have a life either. Your debates are filled with digs and I know other posters have told you to go **** yourself for good reason. So that is why you were called a twatwaffle because you act like one, and still are acting like one. You offer little support for your fucktarded opinions but you are the smartest guy in the room. I wasn't talking in circles ******** I was debating you. Explaining my opinion because you seemed to lack comprehension. So let's talk facts simpleton. Pickett was a one year wonder and it took him a year longer than most to shine. Hines has very little coaching experience. Now you said your peace now run along you bore me.
So you admit to not having a life. LOL. Hey, stupid, last time I checked, 2600 posts is somewhat less than 27000, isn't it? Sure, other posters end up telling me to go **** myself...after they lose arguments. Just like you did. Funny how that works. But unlike you, most people get over it. I agreed to disagree with you, but that wasn't enough, so here we are.

Yeah, yeah, I know. Pickett's a one-year wonder, and he'll never amount to anything, unless you come to some other grand conclusion after your detailed "eval" which would immediately change your very hardened opinion. You think he'll be average at best...but you somehow refuse to commit to that statement. Way to go out there on a limb. Thanks so much for telling me the same thing ten different ways.

The fact is that Pickett had a good college career and a great final season. To most rational people (and evidently many NFL scouting departments), that would indicate an intriguing uptrend, but by God, let's dismiss the guy altogether for taking that extra year (through a pandemic) to blossom.

Hines does have very little coaching experience. Also, the earth is round. And I said my "piece," not "peace," oh intelligent one.

If you're bored, go on back and rescind all of your dozens of likes of my posts during this season, since you were obviously wrong for agreeing so many different times with such a "fucktarded twatwaffle." That should keep you busy for quite a while, champ.