• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin and Canada Officialy exposed

Weve been watching this **** show for a good while and we all know it… you have got to win the line of scrimmage, I don’t care what level of football it is, to win in football. as a kid in WPA it’s drilled into you. Whether it’s 2 ends and a huge nose like men of steel or a 4 man line that can overwhelm and devastates the offensive line like the steel curtain, you win the F75kn line of scrimmage. coach tomlin has never seemed to understood that. His 2 man line, where he uses defensive ends no less, it a totally joke! If you are using a small line you better have run stuffing linebackers… he has slow safety size linebackers! This defense it a mess. We totally depend on watt being Superman like we depended on Ben. It’s ugly and getting uglier. And the ppl coaching and in the front office that created this mess will be in place for ever!

Here's Pickett's passing chart. Only 14 passes over 10 yards in a game where you were playing from behind all game. Again, very few in the middle. I count just 3 passes (maybe 4) to the intermediate or deep middle.

They blamed Ben. They blamed Mitch. Is it Pickett now? This is Canada's crappy offense.

pass-chart_PIC777233_2022-REG-5_1665346785325.jpeg

I have a serious question. Is there a Mike Tomlin compareable anywhere in professional sports. Young coach. Wins a championship in his first three years. Goes to another two years later. And then goes on to 14 years of mostly underachieving in playoffs and blown opportunities and still is employed.
Doc Rivers?

It all started after Tebow
No, it started during the 2009 season when the Steelers had that (at the time) inexplicable 6-game losing streak. Now, looking back, it makes total sense

I'm thinking a possible coaching answer is already on the Steeler coaching staff now. Signed by Tomlin himself.
Put Brian Flores in charge and hold people accountable.
Call Flores into the Rooney's office and get his thoughts on what moves he would make and what collection of coaching talent he could assemble.

I have a serious question. Is there a Mike Tomlin compareable anywhere in professional sports. Young coach. Wins a championship in his first three years. Goes to another two years later. And then goes on to 14 years of mostly underachieving in playoffs and blown opportunities and still is employed.
Mike Babcock. He rode Lidstrom to a Stanley Cup and watched the Red Wings regress as Lidstrom's (Datsyuk and Zetterberg too) careers wound down. Fired in Toronto.

Possibly Jim Leyland too. Was given some really good players but could only win one World Series when given a Ferrari in Florida. Failed miserably otherwise especially in Detroit.

Tomlin is the most over-rated coach in NFL History! He won a Super Bowl with Cowher's team. Say what you will that Tomlin took over an 8-8 team...he did but Cowher was dealing with his wife's personal battle again Melanoma which she succumbed to in the summer of 2009 all the while trying to raise 3 girls and coach a football team.....Tomlin couldn't have taken over a better situation.

Flash Forward to 2013.....Bell, Brown & Ben all in their prime.......AB was the NFL's best WR for 5 years.....and Ben was in his prime and Bell and the O-line were rock solid and he still couldn't deliver only 2 playoff wins.

I'm telling ya Coach Tomlin is the most over rated coach of All-Time.

The Steelers D has been bad. But to give up 400 yards at the professional level at halftime. You don’t see that in the nfl
Put it this way: The Bills averaged 10.22 yards per play today. They averaged over ten yards per play. That is the sixth-highest of any game in NFL history.

And that's the whole sixty minutes, after the Bills invoked their own mercy rule, and brought in their backup QB for two 3-and-outs and two kneel-downs at the end. God knows how high that YPP number was in the first half. I don't have the energy to calculate it right now.

Put it this way: The Bills averaged 10.22 yards per play today. They averaged over ten yards per play. That is the sixth-highest of any game in NFL history.

And that's the whole sixty minutes, after the Bills invoked their own mercy rule, and brought in their backup QB for two 3-and-outs and two kneel-downs at the end. God knows how high that YPP number was in the first half. I don't have the energy to calculate it right now.
married-with-children-al-bundy.gif

Here's Pickett's passing chart. Only 14 passes over 10 yards in a game where you were playing from behind all game. Again, very few in the middle. I count just 3 passes (maybe 4) to the intermediate or deep middle.

They blamed Ben. They blamed Mitch. Is it Pickett now? This is Canada's crappy offense.

The problem is this same issue has been going on since 2019 and canada got here in 2020. Also

Ive pointed out before the Rams and the Chiefs use a lot of the Matt Canada plays to great effect in their offense … now their coaches are known offensive gurus, and they literally hired him as a consultant

when we first promoted him we looked up the plays he has online… there is a whole dissertation about it because he is basically the innovator of the modern shift rpo stuff everyone is using… so he obviously isn’t the dunderhead people here claim… maybe he loses the plot while calling plays or something…

I thought he had a lot of good playcalls on today, except that we quickly get super conservative like we have for years now…
… I mean Im fine with moving on from him, but I don’t think he is where the crappy offense stink is originating from… he is just the latest scapegoat

Also a very small sample size, but Pickett has produced 447 yards on 44 completions from 65 passes in 3 halfs of play, a lot better than Mitch did…

Thats a 67.7 completion percentage and 6.9 ypa
Based on per half he is producing at almost a 300 yards per game clip..

Mitch was at 69/116 for 653 yards in 7 halfs.. so a 59.5 completion percentage, a 5.6 ypa and averaging about 190 yards per game…

Josh Allen 20/31 for 424 yrd 4td 1int.........and... averaged 21.2 yards per pass.

They also combined for 120 yards rushing on the ground that looks like something in the high 7's per carry average. If you take out them being kind late in the 4th quarter. The average is in the 8's.

Canaduh can dial up some decent plays here and there but that is the problem. It's only here and there. They don't game plan, per Tomlin. They obviously can't/don't adapt during a game. And, they still don't use the middle of the field or much at all in the way of going beyond 20 yards past the LOS. If it is the line that is so bad and causing this (I am not in the camp of some who think the line has been OK. I still think they suck.), then fix it. Leglue and some of the backups played better than the starters last year. Give them another shot. It really can't be much worse. If it's scheme, go back to the very basics and get good at that. Move on from there. It has been 2 full years of this. Tomlin said there could be some coaching changes even this week. If he makes a coaching change during the week, it will be some minor assistant and not the real problems.

No, it started during the 2009 season when the Steelers had that (at the time) inexplicable 6-game losing streak. Now, looking back, it makes total sense
They did make the super bowl the following year though.

So the unleash hell, although downright funny, seemed to “work” the next season.

After the 2011-2012 Tebow game. That next season guys like Farrior, Ward were gone. Hampton, Foote, Polamalu etc were aging. The Steelers remained competitive in a sense via those players decision making, but the athleticism regressed and injuries mounted.

Tomlin is the most over-rated coach in NFL History! He won a Super Bowl with Cowher's team. Say what you will that Tomlin took over an 8-8 team...he did but Cowher was dealing with his wife's personal battle again Melanoma which she succumbed to in the summer of 2009 all the while trying to raise 3 girls and coach a football team.....Tomlin couldn't have taken over a better situation.
When the Tomlin Fan Club asks why Cowher's team went 8-8 after the Super Bowl if they were that good, I always reply with "Probably for the same reason Tomlin's team went 9-7 after HE won a Super Bowl."

Pickett is excellent throwing over the middle. He had the second most throws and most completions in college last year over the middle.

As pointed out above, I don’t think this is exclusively Canada. This is Tomlin’s offense. They’ve ran something similar to this for four years. During this time, the Steelers finished 27th, 12th, 21st, and are currently 30th in scoring.

On 93.7 this morning, they mentioned Tomlin coaches with no urgency because he doesn’t feel pressure to perform. It’s clear given the style of offense they play and the insane team building strategy they implemented over the past four years.

There are better coaches to be had out there for sure. So what exactly is the reason we do not pursue a better chance of success ?
Tell me that Sean Payton couldn't assemble a better staff in 1 week than what we currently have.

This is a team of 2nd, 3rd, 4th,....chances for too many.

Nothing but the sky falling will happen, until Coach Tomlin's contract expires.

Salute the nation

I looked up some stats this morning to lay some smackdown on a few idiots in the FB group who were saying that the defense gets worn out from being on the field too much. Bills TOP 23:58. Steelers TOP 36:02. So the Steelers had the ball almost a full quarter longer than the Bills.

Move the team, leave the name, and we'll take our chances with an expansion team. Worked for Cleveland although I think we could be back in less than 20 years.

Move the team, leave the name, and we'll take our chances with an expansion team. Worked for Cleveland although I think we could be back in less than 20 years.
That is the last thing I ever want to see. In any variation of it...

Najeh Harris has 20 yards on 11 carries and that is why the offense dried up in the first half… someone better figure out if its scheme, technique, plays or talent holding the run game back…
Najee 11 carries for 20yards
Warrant 5 carries for 24 yards

The issue is Najee, look at the stats. Warrens Yards per Attempt have been higher than Najee every week with one exception which was week 1 where they tied. Can't blame the line or the scheme if someone else is getting it done in the same settings.

I looked up some stats this morning to lay some smackdown on a few idiots in the FB group who were saying that the defense gets worn out from being on the field too much. Bills TOP 23:58. Steelers TOP 36:02. So the Steelers had the ball almost a full quarter longer than the Bills.

Even Heyward, I think it was him, said something to the effect they got more rest this game but that was because they were giving up huge plays that resulted in them getting off the field faster. That is not the way to win the time of possession battle, obviously. LOL.