• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin and Canada Officialy exposed

I have a serious question. Is there a Mike Tomlin compareable anywhere in professional sports. Young coach. Wins a championship in his first three years. Goes to another two years later. And then goes on to 14 years of mostly underachieving in playoffs and blown opportunities and still is employed.
Not exactly the same but Jason Garrett and Mike Tomlin share alot of similarities. Both are not the greatest X's and O's guys. Both do not really game plan and prefer a (impose our will on the other team mentality). Both believed that Execution was the cause of failures not coaching or schemes. Bot absolutely refused make adjustments. Both had a owner that held on to them for way to long. Both have had lots of talent and didn't do much with it. Both were motivators that the players loved for a while.Both had lots of mediocre coaches and promotions from within.

In this current NFL, with all the young head coaches and staffs they’ve assembled, the Steelers have arguably the worst staff in the league. There are no, foreword thinking, innovators in any phase of the staff, O/D/Specials, nor have there been for some time, evidenced by Tomlin’s nonexistent coaching tree! Literally no one in any coveted league position that learned under Tomlin! Yet ownership doesn’t seem to consider this, even though it’s long been a measure of great coaches to see members of their staff go on to achieve their own respectability!

One can make an argument Colbert may have drafted better than the results, but lack of coaching ability prevented development to the potential of players drafted?

As far as Payton being hired here, at least dating back to Noll’s hiring, it’s not the Steeler’s MO to go the route of big name re-treads. Ironically, in that time, they hire the young, overachieving, innovative minds that worked under extremely accomplished head coaches, ie Shula, Schottenheimer n Dungy/Gruden. I guess they just don’t care if their head coach develops ZERO young minds to become accomplished head coaches???

Last edited:
IMO, the problem starts (on the field) with the OL. I dont believe the OL played any worse than some other OLs, but those teams are not the ones we're invested in. With that said, I don't believe Tomlin is as invested in working to the strengths of this OL... or any OL. It took him a solid ******* year to sit Green down. So those saying we can't get any worse on the OL, we can. Insert Green anywhere and we get worse. I don't see the dude's value on the OL or the roster. 3rd round pick last year and he's inactive after being a starter for Ben's entire final season.

Defensively, the 2-DL defense may have worked when Cam was younger and we had Tuitt. Wormley doesnt compare to Tuitt, neither does any other DL on the roster. Cam's agine and has a couple good to decent seasons left in him, so the scheme needs to change. Personally, I'd not mind seeing Cam at NT, where he can **** up the interior blocking in the pass, but off the top of my head other than Ogunjobi, I can't think of any DL worthy to be on the field. Wormley and Adams are ok at times, and Leal is still getting his feet wet. So if we look at the defense as is, we have two quality LBs in Highsmith and Jack. One somewhat serviceable guy in BusT and JAG in Reed. We cannot stop the run, we cannot put pressure on the QB in the passing game when fielding four LBs and 2 DLs. I'd suggest we put Cam, Adams, Wormley and Ogunjobi at DL and sit either BusT or Reed. When TJ comes back, we can revert to the 3-4

So while we fans know where the fault lies, we need Omar Khan to see this and relay it to his bosses.

IMO, the problem starts (on the field) with the OL. I dont believe the OL played any worse than some other OLs, but those teams are not the ones we're invested in. With that said, I don't believe Tomlin is as invested in working to the strengths of this OL... or any OL. It took him a solid ******* year to sit Green down. So those saying we can't get any worse on the OL, we can. Insert Green anywhere and we get worse. I don't see the dude's value on the OL or the roster. 3rd round pick last year and he's inactive after being a starter for Ben's entire final season.

Defensively, the 2-DL defense may have worked when Cam was younger and we had Tuitt. Wormley doesnt compare to Tuitt, neither does any other DL on the roster. Cam's agine and has a couple good to decent seasons left in him, so the scheme needs to change. Personally, I'd not mind seeing Cam at NT, where he can **** up the interior blocking in the pass, but off the top of my head other than Ogunjobi, I can't think of any DL worthy to be on the field. Wormley and Adams are ok at times, and Leal is still getting his feet wet. So if we look at the defense as is, we have two quality LBs in Highsmith and Jack. One somewhat serviceable guy in BusT and JAG in Reed. We cannot stop the run, we cannot put pressure on the QB in the passing game when fielding four LBs and 2 DLs. I'd suggest we put Cam, Adams, Wormley and Ogunjobi at DL and sit either BusT or Reed. When TJ comes back, we can revert to the 3-4

So while we fans know where the fault lies, we need Omar Khan to see this and relay it to his bosses.
Not sure this really works since Tomlin has so much power and say so in the draft. I could be wrong but I don't think Omar can Veto Tomlin. Tomlin simply is just not a good coach. these players that cut play are his picks. Picked for his system of defense he wants to employ. He just is not a good evaluator of talent (and not good at coaching up either). Either way this falls at his feet more than anyone else and as long as he is running the ship you can change all the arts you want and I don't think the results will change much sadly.

I would really like SP.

That said, he, like MT had HOF QBs and didn’t achieve what they should have. I know the whole bounty thing really ****** them hard but I’d say he underachieved with Drew.

I’d certainly prefer him over MT.

Payton would be a terrific hire given what he did with Brees. Pickett isn’t the same QB but has some similarities with his style.
That would take some balls to do it. They won't but a good example on what would turn this team around.

Not sure this really works since Tomlin has so much power and say so in the draft. I could be wrong but I don't think Omar can Veto Tomlin. Tomlin simply is just not a good coach. these players that cut play are his picks. Picked for his system of defense he wants to employ. He just is not a good evaluator of talent (and not good at coaching up either). Either way this falls at his feet more than anyone else and as long as he is running the ship you can change all the arts you want and I don't think the results will change much sadly.
I always thought he was a good motivator. Good at making sure they are conditioned. It is his decision making and X and O deficiencies that ultimately hand cuff him. That isn't enough to get you playoff wins consistently unless you have a stud QB and stud pass rusher to mask those deficiencies. And here we are our groundhog day.

I would really like SP.

That said, he, like MT had HOF QBs and didn’t achieve what they should have. I know the whole bounty thing really ****** them hard but I’d say he underachieved with Drew.

I’d certainly prefer him over MT.
In defense of Payton, besides Bounty Gate hindering draft ability and a year away from team, he brought teams to multiple deep runs, against the best competition, with many games down to the wire.

Since losing the SB to GB and as Cowhers HOF draft picks began departing, the Steelers have lost playoff games to the likes of Tebow, Bortles, Mayfield and have been BLOWN OUT on several occasions!!! I can’t recall a Sean Payton team being embarrassed, and certainly not consistently embarrassed over multiple playoff appearances?

Moving the team would be blasphemy for Pete sake. Bite your tongue!
And no I don’t want Sean Peyton not that he would be a bad hire but I’d rather have a young innovative coach that is more a tactician and more offensive minded.
Nothing will happen in season to that magnitude but if I were making changes after the season, I’d hit the entire staff from Tomlin on down. Everyone goes!
Let the new man hire his own staff and entice experienced coordinators, ones with quality and proven track records.
Apply this same coaching hire method to your assistants as well.
And open up the wallet and spend to attract the better coaches.
This football team needs a fresh approach in their coaching. Already been done in the front office so now go further with it.
Tomlin’s time has run it’s course here. He’s built an impressive regular season won loss record but like all things, it’s gotten stale.

I always thought he was a good motivator. Good at making sure they are conditioned. It is his decision making and X and O deficiencies that ultimately hand cuff him. That isn't enough to get you playoff wins consistently unless you have a stud QB and stud pass rusher to mask those deficiencies. And here we are our groundhog day.
I have heard the "he's a good motivator" for a while now. How come we are always unprepared then? Yes players like him, but that doesn't mean he is a good motivator. In his case I believe its because he doesn't hold any body accountable. How else can we explain players keeping their job when they don't perform (Bush, Green and a ton of other players). Most employees love a boss that doesn't make them put in the work and never holds them accountable. So is he a good motivator or just the guy that the players like cause he's more of a friend than a boss?

Tomlin reminds me of a politician, his only real skill set is standing at a press conference speaking a lot without ever really saying anything.

There are better coaches to be had out there for sure. So what exactly is the reason we do not pursue a better chance of success ?
Tell me that Sean Payton couldn't assemble a better staff in 1 week than what we currently have.

This is a team of 2nd, 3rd, 4th,....chances for too many.

Yup, Tomlins coaching tree is non-existent cause he hires people who won't challenge him, good coaches probably know that about Tomlin, and he doesn't give the assistants he does hire the freedom to grow here.

This still remains a flagship NFL franchise and look at who we continually hire for assistant coaches....bottom of the barrel candidates

so what needs to happen:

Tomlin should take a self-assessement of the play that has transpired under his watch. that evaluation will obviously lead to the conclusion that the team's play, above the neck, is lacking in pedigree. As such, he should submit his resignation papers to the Rooneys.

The Rooneys should then seek to stabilize the team and promote Flores to HC. While Flores was a coach in Miami previously, he also has some external forces that command his attention away from the field. In that regard, Flores should seek counsel and assistance from a grizzled veteran who has navigated the media circus in Pittsburgh for years and hire Michael Tomlin to that position. Once aboard, this fresh, young face will wow Flores with his word salad and press conference acumen. Flores, seeing he's out-witted and out-smarted should promote this new-hire to HC position and resume his other responsibilities.

Thus we have a new HC who's removed from the old regime and can instill his own version of the Steelers without any allegiance or ties to players brought in previously.

The problem is this same issue has been going on since 2019 and canada got here in 2020. Also

Ive pointed out before the Rams and the Chiefs use a lot of the Matt Canada plays to great effect in their offense … now their coaches are known offensive gurus, and they literally hired him as a consultant

when we first promoted him we looked up the plays he has online… there is a whole dissertation about it because he is basically the innovator of the modern shift rpo stuff everyone is using… so he obviously isn’t the dunderhead people here claim… maybe he loses the plot while calling plays or something…

I thought he had a lot of good playcalls on today, except that we quickly get super conservative like we have for years now…
… I mean Im fine with moving on from him, but I don’t think he is where the crappy offense stink is originating from… he is just the latest scapegoat

Also a very small sample size, but Pickett has produced 447 yards on 44 completions from 65 passes in 3 halfs of play, a lot better than Mitch did…

Thats a 67.7 completion percentage and 6.9 ypa
Based on per half he is producing at almost a 300 yards per game clip..

Mitch was at 69/116 for 653 yards in 7 halfs.. so a 59.5 completion percentage, a 5.6 ypa and averaging about 190 yards per game…
When Fichtner took over as OC, this allowed Tomlin to start tapping into the offensive game plan. There is no doubt in my mind he has more input on that side of things now and that is why he keeps bringing in the inexperienced OCs who he can control. This team has Tomlin's fingerprints on all aspects. He keeps running Harvin out there for atrocious punts every week too.

Bottom line, there is a reason the offense looks similar from Fichtner to Canada.. it's Tomlin. The only difference is a little bit of motion.

Move the team, leave the name, and we'll take our chances with an expansion team. Worked for Cleveland although I think we could be back in less than 20 years.
Be careful what you wish for....once the Rooney family pulls out...they will more than likely be gone.

What is the record number of passes from a rookie QB in their starting debut?

New England shut out a Lions' team that had been doing very well on offense with 21 passes from Zappe and 176 yards on the ground.
61 for Burrow - but looks like 63 might be the record.

"Chris Weinke attempted 63 passes in a loss at Arizona in 2001. The Heisman winner from Florida State only had 223 yards for the Panthers in the game."

Last edited:
so what needs to happen:

Tomlin should take a self-assessement of the play that has transpired under his watch. that evaluation will obviously lead to the conclusion that the team's play, above the neck, is lacking in pedigree. As such, he should submit his resignation papers to the Rooneys.

The Rooneys should then seek to stabilize the team and promote Flores to HC. While Flores was a coach in Miami previously, he also has some external forces that command his attention away from the field. In that regard, Flores should seek counsel and assistance from a grizzled veteran who has navigated the media circus in Pittsburgh for years and hire Michael Tomlin to that position. Once aboard, this fresh, young face will wow Flores with his word salad and press conference acumen. Flores, seeing he's out-witted and out-smarted should promote this new-hire to HC position and resume his other responsibilities.

Thus we have a new HC who's removed from the old regime and can instill his own version of the Steelers without any allegiance or ties to players brought in previously.
It won’t happen, but if I’m Deuce I do the following right away:
Tell Shades that he no longer calls the defense. Let Austin and Flores do it.
Tell Austin if the D isn’t significantly improved by the end of the season that he’s out of a job and his replacement is already on staff.
Write Todd Haley a check for whatever it takes to hire him away from the USFL and tell Shades that you don’t say jack **** to him other than “good morning”.

Ryan Clark: This starts with Coach Tomlin.

Last edited:
It won’t happen, but if I’m Deuce I do the following right away:
Tell Shades that he no longer calls the defense. Let Austin and Flores do it.
Tell Austin if the D isn’t significantly improved by the end of the season that he’s out of a job and his replacement is already on staff.
Write Todd Haley a check for whatever it takes to hire him away from the USFL and tell Shades that you don’t say jack **** to him other than “good morning”.
That sounds good to me.

Another part of Tomlin skills that make you take pause. His team is mauled yesterday, his possible franchise QB takes not one but two bad hits. A player stands up for Kenny as well as Kenny stood up for himself with the second hit. Tomlin stayed silent at post game when he should have said something of the officials call on the slide, (especially seeing what Brady got the call on) and then you see Tomlin all smiles hugging the guy who hit your QB after the game. Shake the head coach hand and get off the field.. You your team your coaches were way more than exposed, you were totally an embarrassment to the city to the uniform. Motes blows up in the locker room about players smiling laughing on side lines. Tomlin has led this team to mediocre at best. They have zero hart, they have no identity, no physicality. To many players are subpar. Tomlin says changes with what in players and he will not for the sake of himself find coaches that can develop players. Two receivers continue to drop passes and Tomlin does nothing but let a guy drop two kicks he says he may never play again. Great coaching style. Tomlin could not wait to run Ben out of town yet look at the same type plays every game this year. No difference, yet Tomlin, coach as he is had no problem pointing to Ben as the reason, after all Ben is the QB. He himself will not take accountability for this team. Comment in post-game, I have to look at film, not answering that, no knee jerk comments, please he stands on the sideline and saw what everyone else saw. We all knew we were in for a rough year, and no one thought we would win yesterday, could at least show some effort, competitiveness.