• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin returning for another season

Let's take an in depth look at Mikey's body of playoff work. I think I've posted this before, but I do it again as a reminder to everyone just what Rooney signed up for more of with this extension. I'll take that last statement back if Rooney grows a pair and starts getting heavily involved especially with offensive coaching hires and offensive philosophy.

2007- one and done against David Garrad

2008- With Bill Cowher's team: Brady out for the year with a torn ACL, beat chargers without Tomlinson, beat rookie Joe Flacco, beat a 40 year old Kurt Warner 9-7 team blew a 16 point fourth quarter lead, took a miracle to win the SB.

2009- no playoffs 4 losses to sub 500 teams,

2010- beat Joe Flacco at home, beat Mark Sanchez at home, lost to A. Rod.

2011- one and done TEBOWED 7.5 point favorites 😂,

2012- no playoffs 4 losses to sub 500 teams,

2013- no playoffs 3 losses to sub 500 teams,

2014- one and done vs Flacco,

2015- beat back up AJ McCarron while blowing a 4th quarter lead, lost to 39 year old Peyton Manning blown 4th quarter lead,

2016- beat back up Matt Moore at home, kicked 6 fgs to beat Alex Smith, got embarrassed vs Patriots,

2017- 1 and done to Blake Bortles😂,

2018 no playoffs lost 4 of final 6 to be eliminated from playoffs

2019- no playoffs lost final 3 to be eliminated from playoffs 1 for 8 vs sub 500 teams 😂

2020 1 and done vs Baker Mayfield 😂 lost 5 of final 6 games.

2021 1 and done blown out by Chiefs in wild card

2022 9-8 no playoffs...began season 2-6...

2023 one and done in Buffalo.

Tomlin's " body of work."
Most losses to .500 teams or below in league history

I can’t stand by silently and let you leave one of his biggest accolades out

Most losses to .500 teams or below in league history

I can’t stand by silently and let you leave one of his biggest accolades out
Look at the numbers at the end of the seasons and where those teams finished up. Many, but not all, of those were teams that were bad early and then went on tears. His record against teams that FINISH the season below 500 is not bad. Numbers can be somewhat deceiving. Then there are losses to the Cards and Patriots which I blame Tomlin for simply for playing Mitch.

Look at the numbers at the end of the seasons and where those teams finished up. Many, but not all, of those were teams that were bad early and then went on tears. His record against teams that FINISH the season below 500 is not bad. Numbers can be somewhat deceiving. Then there are losses to the Cards and Patriots which I blame Tomlin for simply for playing Mitch.
They are what they are when he played them, it is what it is
He is mid at best

I have the final answer for this fake slide discussion. A

Allen slowed down in anticipation of having to prepare to slide but realized no one was in a hurry to tackle him (Hi Minkah) and turned it up and outran the entire team

If you feel his play was wrong, you can ask the league to make it a foul to slow down to slide and QB must slide at full speed.

This type of reverse reverse psychology by players must be banned

Allen slowed down in anticipation of having to prepare to slide but realized no one was in a hurry to tackle him (Hi Minkah) and turned it up and outran the entire team

If you feel his play was wrong, you can ask the league to make it a foul to slow down to slide and QB must slide at full speed.

They just need to take the slide away past the line of scrimmage. Or when not in traffic but that feels to subjective. I get trying to protect a QB but it creates a potential for a serious competitive issue. As the lack of rule addressing this I would do this all day as a QB right now. Defenders have way too much **** to have think about. Too high, too low to early too late. Flags are realistically the next step.

Has that been verified? Another good stat I can present to my Cleveland friends who believe Steeler fans are loonies for wanting to get rid of Tomlin.
The only stats you need to show them are 3 playoff wins in 13 years and no playoff wins in the last 7 years.

LOL...No you really don't.

Yes of course, already presented.
But it would be nice to have another one.
Last three years, 21st, 21st, and 28th in scoring average ppg.

Has that been verified? Another good stat I can present to my Cleveland friends who believe Steeler fans are loonies for wanting to get rid of Tomlin.
Had the record heading into this last season already at 42 and only expanded his lead further this year

He has coached for a long time to get there, but yeah he holds the dubious record and likely will only make it farther out of reach with every passing year

BB from what I saw is approaching most losses by a coach ever, may already have it. These records can only be had with extremely long careers…so there is that in Shades and BB’s defense

You keep saying that but the league is likely going away from that no matter how much you type in capitals. You act like I am making this stuff up.
I also have said it WASN'T A FAKE SLIDE!! I have said to the defense it appeared to be so and to many others it appeared to be so. Whether it was intentional or not the end result was the same and that is the issue. Even the perception that it could be a slide is enough to change the rule as it gives the QB a huge potential advantage. I never once suggested he did it intentionally. The defense is already at enough disadvantage why risk injuries to the defense by having them slow up in the field of play because of seriously ambiguous rule.
The league has made a bunch of rule changes that don't make much sense lately. So what? Does anybody really know what constitutes a catch anymore? Does a defender really know where or how he can hit a quarterback anymore? Does anybody know exactly when a late hit occurs anymore? Just because the league is considering changing a rule doesn't necessarily make it the correct decision.

OK, great. It wasn't a fake slide. Glad we cleared that up. You believe that "the perception that it could be a slide" should precipitate yet another rule change. I don't. I don't believe that a hesitiation should be treated as anything else but what it is, a precursor to any number of different football moves. Let's leave it at that, shall we?

The league has made a bunch of rule changes that don't make much sense lately. So what? Does anybody really know what constitutes a catch anymore? Does a defender really know where or how he can hit a quarterback anymore? Does anybody know exactly when a late hit occurs anymore? Just because the league is considering changing a rule doesn't necessarily make it the correct decision.

OK, great. It wasn't a fake slide. Glad we cleared that up. You believe that "the perception that it could be a slide" should precipitate yet another rule change. I don't. I don't believe that a hesitiation should be treated as anything else but what it is, a precursor to any number of different football moves. Let's leave it at that, shall we?
We will agree to disagree on that point. Now what am I going to do for entertainment. Where's coach? He was more fun t pick on.

We will agree to disagree on that point. Now what am I going to do for entertainment. Where's coach? He was more fun t pick on.
Try putting a pair of glasses on.

Man you are salty. Like the pretzels I ate last night.
I thought it was a good-natured way to end things in this thread. Of course you couldn't agree to that, either. Whatever.

I thought it was a good-natured way to end things in this thread. Of course you couldn't agree to that, either. Whatever.
What we've got here is, Failure to communicate.... I was giving you **** back. Not trying to be a dick. Lol. Things don't always translate well when not being said over beers face to face.

So, do I understand correctly that while Deuce has stated that he full expects to extend Tomlin during the off season, it actually hasn't happened yet?
I hold out hope that when that time comes, the contract is filled with stipulations.

Right. The Chiefs, despite playing for a sixth straight AFC Championship after beating Buffalo on the road, are still just a shell of themselves and are clearly the beneficiaries of a conspiracy between Taylor Swift and the NFL league office. Nothing gets past you.

If you fumble in the field of play, and the ball exits out of the endzone before being recovered by the offensive team, it absolutely should be a touchback. Nothing wrong with that rule; it makes perfect sense. Can't wait to hear why you think it shouldn't be a touchback. God help us.
I have no problem with the fumble rules, but they dont make sense since if you fumble forward and it goes out of bounds anywhere else on the field, you get it back where you fumbled... it cant be advanced... so it is weird that fumbling forward out of bounds there is a touchback...

I have no problem with the fumble rules, but they dont make sense since if you fumble forward and it goes out of bounds anywhere else on the field, you get it back where you fumbled... it cant be advanced... so it is weird that fumbling forward out of bounds there is a touchback...
The end zone is not "anywhere else on the field," though, is it? A play resulting in a loose ball going out of an end zone being adjudicated differently than one going out of the regular field of play shouldn't be hard to explain. I don't know what else to say about it.

8czdjy.jpg
I agree and Mr. Rooney is going to have to dictate offensive philosophy with they OC. It can NOT go through Tomlin's vision which is the same as Stevie Wonder's.

Rooney needs to consult with other NFL people outside the team as far as offensive direction dictated of course by what QB is chosen #1.

As I posted in another thread we also need a big free agent wide receiver to stretch the field. Drops Johnson's and Trippin Pickens disappear for stretches in games. We need a legit #1.

Let's take an in depth look at Mikey's body of playoff work. I think I've posted this before, but I do it again as a reminder to everyone just what Rooney signed up for more of with this extension. I'll take that last statement back if Rooney grows a pair and starts getting heavily involved especially with offensive coaching hires and offensive philosophy.

2007- one and done against David Garrad

2008- With Bill Cowher's team: Brady out for the year with a torn ACL, beat chargers without Tomlinson, beat rookie Joe Flacco, beat a 40 year old Kurt Warner 9-7 team blew a 16 point fourth quarter lead, took a miracle to win the SB.

2009- no playoffs 4 losses to sub 500 teams,

2010- beat Joe Flacco at home, beat Mark Sanchez at home, lost to A. Rod.

2011- one and done TEBOWED 7.5 point favorites 😂,

2012- no playoffs 4 losses to sub 500 teams,

2013- no playoffs 3 losses to sub 500 teams,

2014- one and done vs Flacco,

2015- beat back up AJ McCarron while blowing a 4th quarter lead, lost to 39 year old Peyton Manning blown 4th quarter lead,

2016- beat back up Matt Moore at home, kicked 6 fgs to beat Alex Smith, got embarrassed vs Patriots,

2017- 1 and done to Blake Bortles😂,

2018 no playoffs lost 4 of final 6 to be eliminated from playoffs

2019- no playoffs lost final 3 to be eliminated from playoffs 1 for 8 vs sub 500 teams 😂

2020 1 and done vs Baker Mayfield 😂 lost 5 of final 6 games.

2021 1 and done blown out by Chiefs in wild card

2022 9-8 no playoffs...began season 2-6...

2023 one and done in Buffalo.

Tomlin's " body of work."

It appears this meme might be prophetic while my post is anything but prophetic...NOTHING will change. Ol man Rooney after seeing the clusterfuck that is Tomlin trying to have/hire a competent OC in the past what does he say? Yeah...that's right, after all the bumbling incompetence here is what he has to say....LOL...it's like the Twilight Zone. Unbelievable.

"I mean, No. 1, to be clear, it's Mike's hire," said Rooney. "Head coaches hire their coordinators. It would be a mistake for me to try to screw up the lines of authority, let's say, in terms of how things are supposed to work. That being said, Mike and I talk every day. (General Manager) Omar (Khan), we talk every day, sharing ideas. That's got to be Mike's hire. I think Mike identified that we want somebody who has some experience, somebody who has a track record that we can look at and feel comfortable with. Those are the things that Mike is looking for."

How are things "supposed" to work Mr. Rooney...and how has that worked out for ya so far? Oh wait...yeah....never mind, we're making you rich off the garbage product put on the field under Tomlin. Sorry for disturbing your slumber Rooney, carry on.
giphy.gif

Last edited:
How are things "supposed" to work Mr. Rooney...and how has that worked out for ya so far? Oh wait...yeah....never mind, we're making you rich off the garbage product put on the field under Tomlin. Sorry for disturbing your slumber Rooney, carry on.