• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade down opportunities in draft

They can plan on it all they want, it doesn't mean they should assume it's settled for several years and move on from it. Both are unproven options as long-term starters. If you're faced with the option of a blue-chipper at FS or a red-chipper at a "need" position, going for the need is poor strategy.[/QUOT

I hear ya, but I think the FO has made moves that spell out their strategy. I do, however, think Lewan is a sleeper pick for us. If the FO thinks he can def be a good LT, they may consider him. Otherwise I think they go corner.

They won't take Ebron. He has suspect hands from what I read. We need corners and a DE/NT badly. These should be our first two picks.

They can plan on it all they want, it doesn't mean they should assume it's settled for several years and move on from it. Both are unproven options as long-term starters. If you're faced with the option of a blue-chipper at FS or a red-chipper at a "need" position, going for the need is poor strategy.[/QUOT

I hear ya, but I think the FO has made moves that spell out their strategy. I do, however, think Lewan is a sleeper pick for us. If the FO thinks he can def be a good LT, they may consider him. Otherwise I think they go corner.

Their strategy was to fill most of their holes in FA and then draft BPA. That's why they brought in all the FA. Now they should go BPA and get some real talent.

I see your point. You're talking more about what they WILL do as opposed to what they SHOULD. In that case, I agree, it seems that they feel both safety spots are locked down. I think so too, but to me, the dropoff from Ha Ha to another mid-first guy like Lewan is fairly big.

Um Vader, we have no one at DE, and Ike is going to retire. We need corners and a DE/NT. This is so clear to me, and a corner is solid value at 1.15. I'm not sure whey everyone talks BPA. It's absurd. OK, if Blake Bordles falls and we have him rated higher than Gilbert we should take him?...that's what you guys are saying with the BPA strategy.

Ideally you take something you need, as long as the value fits. I'm not saying to take a corner if we have them all rated as 2md rounders. We obviously don't. drafting is a combination of BPA, plus need. It's not necessarily one or the other.

Just because they passed on Eifert doesnt mean they will Ebron. Its all about how the board falls. If Ebron at that point is the highest rated prospect take him.

Last edited:
I would not have a huge issue with Ebron as long as his hands are considered good enough. I feel that Gilbert/Dennard are worth our 1.15 pick and we should take one of em'. Matthews and Evans won't be there. If Dennard and Gilbert are gone, and we can't trade down, I would maybe take Ebron or a wr.

Take the best player available and no, no, no to Nix. You don't draft Nix at 15 who will be a two down player. Crazy! Grab one of these bug uglies later in the draft. If Lewan is there you take him. This OL is anywhere but being complete. If your receiver that you have rated one on your board is there, and yes it could be Ebron, then you take him.

I've stated numerous times if they like Nix @15 i would have no problem. I hope he falls to the second but if they took him at 15 I'd be ok. Everyone complains about him being a two down player but if he does his job on 1st and 2nd our defense would be greatly improved. Forcing teams into 3rd and 7 or longer because we stuffed them on 1st and second is invaluable to what we do. This defense has been pedestrian lately because teams are consistently gaining yards in the run game. Where as before we stuffed teams and forced obvious pass situations. If Nix can get us back to that he is worth it at 15 to me.

Last edited:
I hear you and i like him too. Just saying if the Steelers took Nix i wouldnt explode.

Considering Nix's knee issues and that he is a two down player, I would no way take him in rd 1...maybe if we traded down to San Fran's pick.

Is it a lingering issue chronic issue..something that will affect him over the course of his career?? I dont think so. DE also cant be ruled out..

Nix has tendonitis in his knees, he weighs over 340 lbs, and he is a liability against the pass. In today's NFL teams don't just run 2 down and pass on 3rd. Playing against spread offenses will take him off the field. I don't want a 1st round pick that could possibly stand by the coach all game because a team spread them out. So I'll say no to bad knees, weight issues and being taking off the field by spread offenses.

WHY take Nix?

Justin Ellis, as said, can be had later. Similar players.
If you want size and a clogger, you can get Daniel McCullers later (though he's not as good as you'd want) - around the same area that Ellis will be drafted.

Nix might look like Big Snack, but he's not. He's Big Snack Lite. I'd take Justin Ellis with our comp in the 3rd.

My ideal is to trade down, secure another 2nd or 3rd and take Exum (CB), Robinson (WR), Ed Stinson (DE) and Justin Ellis (NT).

Which leads me to ask do teams rate players on their skill alone or how their skills fit their scheme??

I wouldnt take Nix just saying i wouldnt explode if the team did. Im not sure who i want just yet..

How their skill fits their scheme. That is why a guy like Aaron Donald, who fits a 4-3, wouldn't be good for us.

Ideally we could fill some of our holes by going Dennard, some WR, and take Ellis at our 3rd round comp pick.

McClendon moves to DE, Cam Thomas and Ellis rotate/compete at NT. Dennard, or Gilbert, sits behind Ike and plays dime/nickel. You can also get a DE like Urban or Taylor Hart in rd 4-5, along with an extra corner in that range too.

1. Dennard
2. Robinson, Benjamin?
3. Ellis
4. Brandon Thomas (stash on IR)
5. Taylor Hart
5. (comp pick) Aaron Colvin or another corner
6. 3rd down back.
7.??

If thats the case Nix, Tuiit, Hageman maybe higher on the Steelers board then we think.

If thats the case Nix, Tuiit, Hageman maybe higher on the Steelers board then we think.

I'm sure they like all 3, but all 3 may slip into rd 2. I seriously will be surprised if one of the top 4 corners is not our pick. Even if we trade down one of them will hopefully be there. Depending on when the run of qb's happen we may have some sweet players drop for us in rd 2.

Yes this year is going to be fun and interesting

WHY take Nix?

Justin Ellis, as said, can be had later. Similar players.
If you want size and a clogger, you can get Daniel McCullers later (though he's not as good as you'd want) - around the same area that Ellis will be drafted.

Nix might look like Big Snack, but he's not. He's Big Snack Lite. I'd take Justin Ellis with our comp in the 3rd.

My ideal is to trade down, secure another 2nd or 3rd and take Exum (CB), Robinson (WR), Ed Stinson (DE) and Justin Ellis (NT).

Not sure about McCullers at NT. The guy is 6'7". Tough sledding winning that leverage battle.
Wonder if he would be inclined to lose a little bit of weight and learn OT.