• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trade down opportunities in draft

The NT to target is Ryan Carrethers. Can be had in the 4th I'm sure.

Here is the way I see it, this years draft class has pretty even talent. I feel for every player that we are rumored to like a very same talent could be had later on so why not trade down and get more picks? I think we could have a monster draft if we got an extra 2nd and a 3rd to make up for the one we don't have anymore and go with our comp pick. Here is my thinking:

Nix at 15 or Ellis 2-3rd, Carrethers 4-6th round
Gilbert/Dennard at 15 or Fuller/Roby at the trade down spot in the 1st, Baptise/Desir/Cockrell/Purifoy 2-4th, Allen/Davis 6-7th
Ebron at 15 or Amaro at trade down spot, Jenkins 2nd, Fiedorowicz/Lynch 2-4th round
Evans if there I take but still a deep class, Lee, Beckham, Cooks at the trade down spot, Benjamin, Robinson, Moncrief, Matthews, Landry in the 2nd, Bryant, Latimer 3-4th, tons of guys later then the 5th like Ellington, Street,and Janis to name a few.

Now I am not saying a guy like Janis just as good as a guy like Lee foe example, but what I am saying is we would still get good talent and more of it with the extra picks.There are a hand full of guys I would pick and not trade down and Evens and Barr are a two of them. I know a lot is made of BPA but my opinion is there are a lot of guys at different positions that have very similar grade that BPA could be almost anyone. If we go straight by BPA we could end up with Bridgewater at 15, right?

I just hope we don't race to the podium and take one of the oldest players in the draft with medical concerns. Hated our first rounder last year and hope he turns out to be a steal but I am not going to hold my breath. We could have had Eifert last year and we would have really been able to use him. I also did not like the plan to match New England's offer either. We will see what happens this year. Anyone know how long it has been since the Steelers missed the playoffs 3 years in a row, this could be a repeat of last year.

Steelers have lacked dominant talent for a while. I want an athlete at 15, not more bargaining for picks. Give me the best player with the biggest Upside. Tall Wide Receivers will keep until the second and probably the third.

Right now I'm high on Hageman. You want Jarvis and Worilds to perform? Force opposing offensive lines to commit 2 blockers each to our DE's. Haven't seen that in Pittsburgh since 2010.

I'm not well versed in the point-value of picks, but there is a lot of talk that the Texans may want to get back into the first round to grab a QB after taking Clowney with the #1.
If Johnny Football (who their owner is supposedly in love with), or one of the other highly ranked QBs fall to #15, would you trade our 15 for their #33 and their #1 next year? How would the value of those 2 picks compare to our #15, assuming their pick next year is somewhere in the top ten?

And who might be available when the second round opens up?

I'm not well versed in the point-value of picks, but there is a lot of talk that the Texans may want to get back into the first round to grab a QB after taking Clowney with the #1.
If Johnny Football (who their owner is supposedly in love with), or one of the other highly ranked QBs fall to #15, would you trade our 15 for their #33 and their #1 next year? How would the value of those 2 picks compare to our #15, assuming their pick next year is somewhere in the top ten?

IMO, you'd get the same quality of choices available at #33 that will probably be there at #15. This is a deep draft, and the middle of the first is loaded with question marks. I'd be on it like stink on ****.

http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php

I'd trade the #15 to the Texans for their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks this year.
that's a value of 941 points

the #15 pick is 1050 points

sure, we'd lose some "value", but we'd also get two additional picks and the drop from #15 to #33 in ability/athleticism/grading isn't that vast. Gaining a 3rd and another 4th could net us some quality players...and cheaper players per the rookie cap (I believe).

The 1st round pick next year values about a mid-2nd this year, so if you make that trade with the Texans, you are likely talking 2015-1st and 2014-2nd and 4th as a jumping off point, probably end up with the 2nd and 3rd this year.....team that initiates the trade usually overpays.

Oh yeah, seemed to be talk on a Cleveland radio station that rumor was the Browns want to trade their 35th, 71st, and 2015-#1 to get back into the middle of the first, giving them 3-1st round picks. Now, that takes you completely out of the first round this year and adds a high 3rd, but it also gives you what may be a high 1st round pick next season. Either way, if I can get a future first and end up with 2-picks in the top 100 this year, I pull the trigger on that.....

I was afraid two months ago the pick is going to be Marquis Lee and I'm still afraid that's who I think Colbert is going to take.

He's the guy they are keeping under wraps to the media that no one is reporting on. They loved to leak Beckham and Cooks when Lee is the guy they really, really want.

I might buy that except that the Steelers have not exactly been tight lipped about who they like since Tomlin took over. Draftniks rarely used to predict the steelers pick under Cowher but under Tomlin, they steelers have often drafted the guy everyone expected except for the times a fluke guy like Decastro fell to them.

Steelers could be in a great spot to trade back. 15 could be a perfect slot to draft a QB or pass rush. If Barr is available at the steelers pick, their phone may be ringing as the pass rushers disappear quickly.

I can't see taking WR at 15. It is so deep and I don't think any of the top WRs aside from Watkins are head and shoulders over guys they can get in Rd 2 or later.

Its good to know I'm not crazy. I would absolutely trade #15 for Houston's #33 and their 4th round, along with next year's first. And I would also make that trade with the Browns that you laid out. Both seem like fair trades for both teams, unless the Texans or Browns run off 10 wins next season...

IMO, you'd get the same quality of choices available at #33 that will probably be there at #15. This is a deep draft, and the middle of the first is loaded with question marks. I'd be on it like stink on ****.

I agree and if we gain 2 picks for moving about 10-12 spots and get close to the same talent if not the same we have to do this. They say this is the deepest draft in years well then we need to take full advantage of it by getting more picks. Last years trades:

Bills trade a 1st & 3rd (#8 & 71) to the Rams for a 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 7th (#'s 16,46,78 & 222)

Cowboys trade # 18 to the 49ers for 1st & 3rd (# 31 & 74)

Rams trade #22 & 2015 7th round to the Falcons for 1st, 3rd & 6th (#'s 30, 92 & 198)

So the Bill moved down 8 spots in round one and gained a few picks, the Cowboys moved 13 and the Rams moved 8 spots. In this draft I would take the extra picks for sure, jmo.

Ideally, trade with San Fran. Get one of their 2 second rounders, and get one of their 3rd rounders, plus, of course, their first rounder at 1.30. Maybe we would also have to give up a 6th rounder...but no big deal. Imagine having 1 1st rounder, 2 second rounders, plus 2 third rounders (incld our comp pick)

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Im not buying San Fran wanting to trade up. Why not stay put and take Dee Ford. Why give up picks in a deep draft. They are chasing Seattle. Why not add as much talent as you can. Its not like picks are expensive now. Just saying unless a team absolutely falls in love with a player its not going to easy to trade down..

I think Miami may want to leapfrog Balt for an OT. San Fran may want a wr or Anthony Barr.

I think Miami may want to leapfrog Balt for an OT. San Fran may want a wr or Anthony Barr.

Thats what im saying they can get either at 30(WR or pass rusher) and keep their picks in strong draft.

Maybe, but Odell Beckham, or Anthony Barr are much better than the alternatives...or at least I hope they think that.

I hear ya. Lol.

I think the only positions that are important enough in this draft class to stay for are left tackle and quarter back. We are not likely to draft a quarter back at 15. If a real high quality left tackle falls in the draft and is available at 15 I think we need to stay unless a team like the browns is going to trade next years first and a bunch this year. Now with that said we would still need to find a trading partner if we want to move and a lot of teams may not want to pay the price to move. If we get stuck staying at 15 we just need to take the best player available that works for us. We have lots of needs. TE, RB, WR, G, CB, ILB, OLB, NT, DE, LT. With so many to choose from we will almost be guaranteed to be drafting both BPA and need. I just hope they apply value to the picks and really avoid a reach. For example if the top of the WR are gone but we still have the option of the best G who is way ahead of anything that will be there in round 2 we need to make that pick. In round two there are still the same types of players at WR that were there at round one for us so we did not loose anything. Just an example lots of talk of us getting a tight end I just used guard because no one was talking about it.

It sure would be great if Al Davis was still here to pick that would have at least one good player falling down the draft board.

It sure would be great if Al Davis was still here to pick that would have at least one good player falling down the draft board.

Who will be this year's Jamarcus Gallery Bey?

If they take another DE in the first, I'll throw my remote through the ******* TV. I don't like a first round NT either this year, but Nix would be OK.

I agree with BPA, however, one that fits the scheme as TMC mentioned. I'm not big on Ebron, but he would fill the big WR need while eventually replacing Heath. It could be a matchup advantage like NE had with Gronk and Hernandez.

Trading back would definitely be the best move. Dennard or Fuller Rd 1, WR round 2.

If they take another DE in the first, I'll throw my remote through the ******* TV. I don't like a first round NT either this year, but Nix would be OK.

I agree with BPA, however, one that fits the scheme as TMC mentioned. I'm not big on Ebron, but he would fill the big WR need while eventually replacing Heath. It could be a matchup advantage like NE had with Gronk and Hernandez.

Trading back would definitely be the best move. Dennard or Fuller Rd 1, WR round 2.

I am not high on Nix cause he has/had knee problems already and has reported over weight and them two don't mix. I would love for Barr to be our DeCastro and fall to us when nobody thought he would. Also other guys I like if we stay at 15 are Ebron, Dennard, Gilbert, Lewan and Evans. The big question is who of these guys will be there and who wants to trade up if the qb's start falling.

I can't wait to draft Dennard, then sit him 12 yards off the line and watch him tackle.

Im not buying San Fran wanting to trade up. Why not stay put and take Dee Ford. Why give up picks in a deep draft. They are chasing Seattle. Why not add as much talent as you can. Its not like picks are expensive now. Just saying unless a team absolutely falls in love with a player its not going to easy to trade down..

The reason they may trade up is Kaepernick. They will have a big decision soon and just like the ravens with Flacco, I don't think the 49ers are sold on Kap. I can see them trying to load up for a run at the SB this year. Give him all the weapons he needs and if he fails, then you let him walk instead of paying him big money.

Or the more simple explanation is that this draft sucks for pass rushers, the 49ers may be done with Aldon Smith, and they need to trade up to get a replacement.