• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trump appoints Betsy DeVos to education secretary post

Spike

Reaction score
President-elect Donald Trump on Wednesday appointed West Michigan GOP mega donor and philanthropist Betsy DeVos to be his education secretary, putting an ardent supporter of school choice in charge of the nation’s education policy.

h2JfvV3.jpg

DeVos, 58, is seen as a national leader in the school choice movement, which she has called an attempt to “empower” parents to find good schools for their children, whether they be traditional public schools in other neighborhoods, charter schools, virtual schools or private institutions.

“Betsy DeVos is a brilliant and passionate education advocate,” Trump said Wednesday in a statement. “Under her leadership, we will reform the U.S. education system and break the bureaucracy that is holding our children back so that we can deliver world-class education and school choice to all families.”

In a statement, DeVos said she was honored to help Trump “make American education great again”

http://www.detroitnews.com/news/

-----------------------

A big voucher advocate. The unions will hate her. Hallelujah.

oh yeah, Trump hates women!

Last edited:
As a public educator I could care less about whether or not they allow vouchers. If your school does a good job you won't lose many kids. What I am worried about is seeing if she starts to get rid of this ridiculous avalanche of testing that kids are schools are forced to endure now. Not to mention all these kickbacks and millions that go to the testing companies themselves. Fortunately I think most people are realizing now that over-testing kids is just another money making scheme for these mega testing companies. For instance, the PARCC testing which was introduced in 2015 lasted a grand total of ONE YEAR. It was such a joke and the goals were so unattainable that it was completely disbanded and chalked up as a disaster in the span of the first school year it was given. It was a huge waste of millions and millions of dollars and not to mention a **** load of time for the people who were responsible for dealing with it. During testing time that year (Feb-May), I had a total of 88 boxes of tests in my office. I work in a very small school (300 total students in grades 9-12). I cannot imagine how much big schools would have had.

In the midst of it I researched and found out that the creators of the PARCC test (either 8 or 9 people) all received annual salaries of between 2 million and 9 million dollars for developing it. They and the test company (Pearson) also received an additional $22 dollars PER TEST TAKEN. The PARCC along with another test that was joined with it were a Nation wide test program. In our school alone, students had to take a total of 7 tests, which comes out to $154 per student. Multiply that by every student in America that tested......from Grade 3 through Grade 12. Not a bad little business!

Education at the state and government level has become a bloated, self serving, money racquet.

Last edited:
Bad. Killing Common Core should be job one and she seems more like a Bushie in that regard. Disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Agreed. But I will say that States one after the other are already opting out of Common Core as it is. I think the days are numbered any way...until the next stupid thing comes along.

No child left behind, common core, same **** different name.

Her entire background is vouchers, home school protection ,to dismantle the National Department of Education and rid us of Common Core.....

Yet you still gripe.....go figure....

Education should be left to the States. If your State fails you kids, move to a better State. If I had not felt good about where my son went to school, we never would have moved back home when he was young. As a RESPONSIBLE parent, I would have had no problem moving to a good school district.

Education should be left to the States. If your State fails you kids, move to a better State. If I had not felt good about where my son went to school, we never would have moved back home when he was young. As a RESPONSIBLE parent, I would have had no problem moving to a good school district.

My daughter opted move in with me when she was 15 and her brother came here to go to college. I sent her to a small private Christian high school. My local high school is a sports factory but the quality of education leaves a lot to be desired (not to imply that they are always mutually exclusive). Although she didn't finish college, she preferred just to go to work, she's probably smarter than half the college students out there.

Her entire background is vouchers, home school protection ,to dismantle the National Department of Education and rid us of Common Core.....

Yet you still gripe.....go figure....
Wrong. Sure, she has always been for vouchers, but she's always been pro-Common Core. All of a sudden she is saying she is against it. Surprise. Don't fall for it. She's got federal standards and education establishment in her blood.

As a former public school educator of 18 years, the reality that the educational money pit needs to be disbanded is real. Edcuation is about anything but education. I hope she has a heavy hand.

BTW, CA spends close to $1 billion on text books anually. I guess history and math change? It's a money scam. It's not about kids.

The person put at the head of a that agency should be a business person with ZERO TIES to education.

The person put at the head of a that agency should be a business person with ZERO TIES to education.

My teacher friends are freaking out that she has no history with public education. Fun to watch really.

As a former public school educator of 18 years, the reality that the educational money pit needs to be disbanded is real. Edcuation is about anything but education. I hope she has a heavy hand.

BTW, CA spends close to $1 billion on text books anually. I guess history and math change? It's a money scam. It's not about kids.

My wife wanted to take a math class at troy. I had the book from a couple years ago so I told her to use that one, her teacher emails her that she need the new copy so we bought it. Cost was about 300 bucks, as we compared the two books the only and I mean the ONLY change was that they mixed up the order of the EXACT same questions from the old book to the new, now tell me what a ******* racket that is.

That is messed up Warriors42. They couldn't even change some wording or something else more significant to try to justify their robbery. This is crazy. It is a problem from K through undergrad at least. What a scam. It probably makes 'climate change' grifting pale in comparison.

My teacher friends are freaking out that she has no history with public education. Fun to watch really.

Retired teacher and Libtard at my church was freaking out on FB and posted a meme with a list of why she's not qualified. I replied that I thought her resume looked great. I'm a smart-*** that way. :boink:

That is messed up Warriors42. They couldn't even change some wording or something else more significant to try to justify their robbery. This is crazy. It is a problem from K through undergrad at least. What a scam. It probably makes 'climate change' grifting pale in comparison.

Our school is poor as hell and has old-assed textbooks.

Our school is poor as hell and has old-assed textbooks.

So I guess those textbooks inaccurately claim that the United States represented the greatest advance in human governance, that Abraham Lincoln was the President and Ulysses S. Grant the commander of the Union forces during the Civil War (rather than Harriet Tubman who was both President and Union General according to modern textbooks), and that

pic-pythagorasT.gif

Thank God, I mean Allah, for modern textbooks.

My wife wanted to take a math class at troy. I had the book from a couple years ago so I told her to use that one, her teacher emails her that she need the new copy so we bought it. Cost was about 300 bucks, as we compared the two books the only and I mean the ONLY change was that they mixed up the order of the EXACT same questions from the old book to the new, now tell me what a ******* racket that is.

Why this is allowed is because the system wants to let it happen. They all gain power and or money from it. It's insane. Drain this swamp.

I have seen the same thing. Same material in the book just different order, A paragraph from the lecture would be on a different page.

So I guess those textbooks inaccurately claim that the United States represented the greatest advance in human governance, that Abraham Lincoln was the President and Ulysses S. Grant the commander of the Union forces during the Civil War (rather than Harriet Tubman who was both President and Union General according to modern textbooks), and that

pic-pythagorasT.gif

Thank God, I mean Allah, for modern textbooks.

I get what you are saying but actually DO begin to fall apart after 20 years.

I have no problem with her credentials or her intent to change the system, as long as she doesn't force creationism on the entire country.

I have no problem with her credentials or her intent to change the system, as long as she doesn't force creationism on the entire country.

I understand that she is going to advocate burning witches at the stake too. The Earth is flat, and she will see to it that it is to be taught.

Where, in Trump"s agenda, have you seen creationism as a talking point?

I sub at the local school. I went to a class where they didn't have text books. Kids would get a hand out, and then cut and paste it into a lined paper note book. (seriously)

I asked about this, and a teacher told me that the text books weren't what they wanted and didn't focus where they wanted, so they opted not to buy them. I was shocked. But I'm not sure if this was something
great by the teachers/ school? Or they were being cheap.

I thought maybe it sounded like they were teaching for the national test.1