• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Twelve years ago today ...

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">12 years ago today Ben Roethlisberger made the greatest throw in Super Bowl history. <br> <a href="https://t.co/HPgp8ba0o8">pic.twitter.com/HPgp8ba0o8</a></p>— chris ⓳ (@EliteJuJu) <a href="https://twitter.com/EliteJuJu/status/1356283713903087616?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow. So long ago.

Are we to believe Ben can no longer do that? That was his fourth year in the league. Now 12 years removed, are we to assume he cannot still lead this team and make throws comparable to that?

Are we to believe Ben can no longer do that? That was his fourth year in the league. Now 12 years removed, are we to assume he cannot still lead this team and make throws comparable to that?

According to many here, the answer would be definitely not.
Time to tank a couple seasons and hope the next legend falls in our lap.

Yep. And anybody contesting that Holmes made the catch should spend some time watching that gif.

Anybody contesting that should also take a look at Fitzgerald’s first TD in that game, also back right corner of end zone. I just watched the highlight, which aired on NFL network... had forgotten what I believed way back when, but that was not a catch... Fitzgerald initially has it between palm of one hand and upper part of other forearm, but it’s rolling down his forearm as he’s going to the ground. As he’s trying to manipulate it into both hands, he literally flips the ball over, all the while in constant motion, until he goes to ground and tip hits the turf, popping ball up into his hands where he kind of finally gains control. So, he never fully possessed the ball before it hits turf and the turf assisted in gaining control!!! Always aggravated me, it wasn’t even considered that it was not a catch?!!!

...and Ben to Santonio is the greatest passing TD in SB history. Still don’t know how he got it passed/around/over 3 defenders, to place it where only Santonio could get it!!!

Last edited:
One of the great nights of my life. Will never forget. I had been on a booze cruise snow mobile trip weekend before and then all the booze and **** food around the game. Around the Wednesday or Thursday after my gall blader fell apart took 2 hours of surgery to get it all out and I was damn lucky I didn't go sepsis. I was in the hospital for 10 days.

Anybody contesting that should also take a look at Fitzgerald’s first TD in that game, also back right corner of end zone. I just watched the highlight, which aired on NFL network... had forgotten what I believed way back when, but that was not a catch... Fitzgerald initially has it between palm of one hand and upper part of other forearm, but it’s rolling down his forearm as he’s going to the ground. As he’s trying to manipulate it into both hands, he literally flips the ball over, all the while in constant motion, until he goes to ground and tip hits the turf, popping ball up into his hands where he kind of finally gains control. So, he never fully possessed the ball before it hits turf and the turf assisted in gaining control!!! Always aggravated me, it wasn’t even considered that it was not a catch?!!!

...and Ben to Santonio is the greatest passing TD in SB history. Still don’t know how he got it passed/around/over 3 defenders, to place it where only Santonio could get it!!!

Oh yeah I remember the Fitz non catch.

That entire final drive was ridiculous, started with a false start or hold or something, and Ben was under a lot of pressure. If that final drive were by Brady or Manning, we'd never hear the end of it, but since it was Ben it's almost forgotten.

That was one hell of a game. Intense as it gets. That's how you be great baby! I still don't know how James Harrison made it 100 yards on that pick 6.

12 years ago...

A couple other parts of that game that I forgot about:
1. on our first TD drive, the 3rd and 10 play Ben made to Miller was crazy, under constant pressure, almost sacked got out of it, then hit Miller.
2. we were up 20-14, had the ball backed up into our own endzone, it was 3rd and 10 with 3 minutes left and Ben hit Holmes for a first down. It should've been 1st down with under 3 minutes to play, we could've killed clock and that ending may have never happened, but Hartwig got flagged for holding in the endzone, so a safety. Making the score 20-16 us and having to give them the all back.

This was not the greatest pass in Super Bowl history. That would belong to Bradshaw on his perfectly placed 63 yard TD pass to Swann in Super Bowl X. Larry Cole knocks out Bradshaw with a cheap shot to the head and we lose if this pass is not completed. Ben's pass was GREAT but we would have tied the game if it was incomplete on a chip shot FG.

.2. we were up 20-14, had the ball backed up into our own endzone, it was 3rd and 10 with 3 minutes left and Ben hit Holmes for a first down. It should've been 1st down with under 3 minutes to play, we could've killed clock and that ending may have never happened, but Hartwig got flagged for holding in the endzone, so a safety. Making the score 20-16 us and having to give them the all back.

We were a competent OL away from three titles. I pained myself to watch XLV highlights to remind myself two missed blocks resulted in two turnovers.

We were a competent OL away from three titles. I pained myself to watch XLV highlights to remind myself two missed blocks resulted in two turnovers.

LOL, were you drinking? You're right, that OL was awful basically from Tomlin's first season until 11 or 12?

3 straight Super Bowl titles with Tomlin. LMFAO.

ughhhh, memories of Whiff Johnson this year as Ebron repeatedly shied from contact/blocks

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

ughhhh, memories of Whiff Johnson this year as Ebron repeatedly shied from contact/blocks

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Catches as well............................

Salute the nation

Still the greatest pass in Super Bowl history. Add in the greatest defensive play in Super Bowl history and it was one of the best ever.

This catch was great, NOT disputing that in the least.
But Deebo's pick six before the 1/2 is THE UNDISPUTED GREATEST PLAY IN SUPERBOWL HISTORY.
It should be the anniversary of that pick six.
IF, IF there was no time on the clock, and the game was over when SanQuentin Holmes made that catch, MAYBE it's in contention.
But there was still time for AZ to make plays, and our D had to come in and cement it.
The pick six was a 10 - 14 point swing ( depending if AZ scores TD or settles for FG if not picked ) and ALL the momentum in the world.

This catch was great, NOT disputing that in the least.
But Deebo's pick six before the 1/2 is THE UNDISPUTED GREATEST PLAY IN SUPERBOWL HISTORY.
It should be the anniversary of that pick six.
IF, IF there was no time on the clock, and the game was over when SanQuentin Holmes made that catch, MAYBE it's in contention.
But there was still time for AZ to make plays, and our D had to come in and cement it.
The pick six was a 10 - 14 point swing ( depending if AZ scores TD or settles for FG if not picked ) and ALL the momentum in the world.

You just put a side note on that pass catch, saying there was still time on the clock, but the Deebo INT was at halftime, no matter what happens, even if Arizona scores a TD, there's still a half of football to be played.

The pass/catch was the most clutch, great play because it basically won the game and it was put over/around 3 people.

Trailing with 35 seconds left in the 4th quarter of the super bowl, making that play, I'll put that over the Deebo INT. You never hear anyone talk about there being time left when Montana hit Taylor on a simple slant route, or that there was time left and the game was only tied when Elway and Denver went on "the drive"