• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tyrann Mathieu Confirms Mike Tomlin Has Called Him

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The Pittsburgh Steelers and all of SteelerNation have been patiently waiting on a decision from Tyrann Mathieu. There have been a few rumblings that the Steelers are interested in the Pro Bowl safety, but nothing concrete. Well that stopped Monday.

Mathieu speaking on the Jordy Culotta Show touched on his third time hitting the free agent market. Which is basically something that doesn’t generally happen for a player of his stature.

“I’m really just kind of taking it easy,” Mathieu said about his time exploring free agency. “Because like I’m a real football dude, so it’s like, once I know I’m playing and once I know where I’m going, it’s over. Like you can catch me on the flip side.”

Then he spoke about different coaches calling him. And the Steelers Mike Tomlin was the one that came to mind.

“I mean, just being able to have this time with family though, it’s cool. But I still try to enjoy the process. It’s still cool talking to all the coaches, the different coaches, cause some of these guys man. Mike Tomlin calling your phone. He like ‘Hey oh, this Mike T’, you know, so just being able to talk to these guys, man.”

ESPN reported last week that the Steelers were interested in Mathieu amongst others. But that was the last thing to be mentioned about him.

Mathieu went on to talk about wanting to be part of a good group of leaders. The Steers certainly have that in TJ Watt and Cam Heyward. And not to mention a fantastic leader in Tomlin.

“You want to be ae to work we with these guys. I mean, these guys that you spend a good part of your life with once you sign a contract. I’ve always been around guys like Larry Fitzgerald, Patrick Peterson, JJ Watt. So it’s like if you ain’t got those guys in the room, I don’t know if I fit in the room.”

As time marches on the longer Mathieu waits the cheaper he will presumably be when he signs. The Steelers could end up with Mathieu at a buyers price. We will see how it plays out in the coming weeks.

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

One thing I took away from this is the guy seems level headed. I respect that yeah, he could snap up a bank contract but he’s seeing the importance of spending this time with his family is something you just can’t put a value on. I hope when he’s ready to sign- it’s for the black and gold to pair up with 39

One thing I took away from this is the guy seems level headed. I respect that yeah, he could snap up a bank contract but he’s seeing the importance of spending this time with his family is something you just can’t put a value on. I hope when he’s ready to sign- it’s for the black and gold to pair up with 39

For the most part I always thought of Tomlin that way...except for the times he has that deer in the headlights look.

Most players seem to love MT but Mathieu would have to reduce his asking price to below $10 million per and even then, I don't know we can afford him. They can probably get Edmunds back for $5 million per after the draft.

Coach T is one hell of a recruiter.
Yes he is, much like James Franklin. Problem is, neither
can coach the talent once they have it.