• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

The niners arent trying to move him... he is trying to get moved... the niners shopped him at a first plus at the draft because they felt they could replace him then.. now its too late.. draft picks in 25 dont help them this year

He wants more money than he is probably worth.
Im guessing the niners will want a second and player that can help asap
The Niners are trying to move him because they cannot afford him Debo, Kittle and a very expensive defense. And Purdy on horizon. He doesn't want to play out his contract.

Idk if I make this trade. First off I don’t want to give up premium picks for Aiyuk.He’s a very good WR but sorry, not doing that since I prefer keeping those picks.
Second, thinking he wants 30 million per season. If that’s the case Big George goes back to being the number two and he’s not going to be happy. I can see disruptions this season with him and then what? You might as well figure he’s next one out the door.
Stay the course and go with what you have. Besides, we’re not an Aiyuk away from a SB or maybe not even a playoff win.

I just read a report that the Steelers are out because they won't meet the 49ers' trade demands. That may seem like a good idea to some today, but I wager it won't if he is playing for the Browns and the Steelers are starting a scrub like Van Jefferson in the opener.

The Niners are trying to move him because they cannot afford him Debo, Kittle and a very expensive defense. And Purdy on horizon. He doesn't want to play out his contract.
They werent trying to move him This year...

Aiyuk is under contract this season. He cannot hold out into the season... he has zero leverage. The Niners know next year they have to pay out a ton to too many people to keep the team together...

They dont want to lose a key piece for future parts... this is a team that likely deals picks at the deadline to add and make one big run at the SB...

If they deal him, it will probably be to someone who will give them a star wr back first and foremost

So the Raiders or Browns probably are in line before us if they want him

And next year tge 9rs can tag and trade him, or deal him at the deadline... this is probably mostly media driven drama with no payout

I just read a report that the Steelers are out because they won't meet the 49ers' trade demands. That may seem like a good idea to some today, but I wager it won't if he is playing for the Browns and the Steelers are starting a scrub like Van Jefferson in the opener.

But when the browns are 0-16 in a few years because they keep shoveling first rounders out the door and are in super hyper cap hell, I bet we wont mind so much

The other thing is ... The 9rs system is so freaking good at scheming people open, its hard to know if those guys are really good or just system goons.. you are committing almost 30 mil per year to a wr that may or may not work in your system who isnt a physical freak or established himself in the talk for best wr in the league or anything.. he is just really good in the system he plays in... which traditionally maxes guys talents out if tgeybplay within it

yeah now they are saying the browns and pats are the front runners

said the Steelers wouldn't meet the 49ers trade demands

yeah now they are saying the browns and pats are the front runners

said the Steelers wouldn't meet the 49ers trade demands
Since this was leaked, it probably means neither team was Aiyuk's top choice (Pittsburgh and Washington were probably at the top) and they're trying to force his hand or entice either team to put up a better offer. Typically trade negotiations aren't this public.

Why would the browns make this move? They have Amari Cooper, Elijah Moore, and Jerry Jeudy. You would have to assume the Browns would send one of them to the 49ers in the deal.

It does make sense for the Pats. They drafted Drake Maye and their best WR is Kendrick Bourne. They have to give him some weapons.

Sounds like sticking point is 49ers want a first. I wouldn't give up a first. Guys gonna be a FA and leave them for nothing in 7 months.

Sounds like sticking point is 49ers want a first. I wouldn't give up a first. Guys gonna be a FA and leave them for nothing in 7 months.
I would give up a first but an agreed long term contract would have to be in place and ready to be signed .

The cheaper the better, but also remember there will be a very high dollar contract to follow.

If we lose Pickens due to this, is that value there as well???

Salute the nation
Exactly. No ******* way do I put George in any deal. We're WR needy...

Packaging a deal with Daniels and/or Highsmith with a 3rd round pick is what I would offer, but I am not anyone in the FO or on the Steelers' decision-making board...

DK Sports brought up a very valid point that I hadn't thought of in terms of leverage the Steelers have in that they would be helping the 49'ers salary cap by absorbing his contract. I can see the ruthless Khan artist telling John Lynch "I'll absorb half of his salary...you're welcome" :ROFLMAO:

My preference is to stay put with what the Steelers have and let's see where this offense is. Van Jefferson knows his role in this offense as a #2 WR, CAIII has been said to have tightened up his route running and perhaps he takes on that role as the slot/possession guy? Pickens has a hell of a catch radius but from what I've seen in a handful of videos he is still covered and relies on the circus catch rather than improving his footwork and speed to get open. Or maybe the Steelers corners are that damn good!? Here's to hoping that is the case.

DK Sports brought up a very valid point that I hadn't thought of in terms of leverage the Steelers have in that they would be helping the 49'ers salary cap by absorbing his contract. I can see the ruthless Khan artist telling John Lynch "I'll absorb half of his salary...you're welcome" :ROFLMAO:

My preference is to stay put with what the Steelers have and let's see where this offense is. Van Jefferson knows his role in this offense as a #2 WR, CAIII has been said to have tightened up his route running and perhaps he takes on that role as the slot/possession guy? Pickens has a hell of a catch radius but from what I've seen in a handful of videos he is still covered and relies on the circus catch rather than improving his footwork and speed to get open. Or maybe the Steelers corners are that damn good!? Here's to hoping that is the case.

Maybe our WR's coach is making some impact with George's laziness to develop that footwork, but don't sell short our effective CBs as I think the two tandom are in top 10-ish in the NFL.

I'm hoping Pickens will wake up, but I also think he may be lacking the drive for long term. Everything has been so easy for him that he may not take that last step of effort to achieve ultimate powerhouse stardom.

Salute the nation

Maybe our WR's coach is making some impact with George's laziness to develop that footwork, but don't sell short our effective CBs as I think the two tandom are in top 10-ish in the NFL.

I'm hoping Pickens will wake up, but I also think he may be lacking the drive for long term. Everything has been so easy for him that he may not take that last step of effort to achieve ultimate powerhouse stardom.

Salute the nation
I've coached so many young athletes who are incredibly gifted, but they just don't have the desire to reach their potential greatness. When I want them, will them even to improve, I've learned that they'll never get there. I'm not saying George falls into this category as I don't know the guy at all, but I see so much more potential in the man and I hope that he's able to achieve it, someday.

Idk if I make this trade. First off I don’t want to give up premium picks for Aiyuk.He’s a very good WR but sorry, not doing that since I prefer keeping those picks.
Second, thinking he wants 30 million per season. If that’s the case Big George goes back to being the number two and he’s not going to be happy. I can see disruptions this season with him and then what? You might as well figure he’s next one out the door.
Stay the course and go with what you have. Besides, we’re not an Aiyuk away from a SB or maybe not even a playoff win.
I find it very hard to believe anyone is meeting their first round demand. Ayuik has 17 games left plus playoffs on his contract. If he stubs his toe he us out. 1sts bust but rate is getting lower. Besides Bush none of the first rounders have really busted lately. So you are talking 4 x 17 = 68 cheap games from a starter plus an option for 17 still expensive games from not even a top five at position. No one is meeting that.
Edit. Sorry Pickett busted too. But the metrics on QB are so much more tricky.

Last edited: