• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Way to NOT put your rookie QB in a position to succeed

All the more reason that they should have simply run it up the middle, like they usually do. Without the complication, and without losing five yards.
Yep, a toss play just isn't a good call when you're trying to milk the clock. Pickett should've done better on the toss, but you need to play somewhat conservative with a rookie seeing his first action.

Tomlin specifically said he was not playing Pickett then gave him 0 reps in an extra long prep period from the last thursday game. Makes you wonder if it was Rooney who put Pickett in the game.
This move feels like it came from ARII or Khan. There was smoke all week others in the organization wanted Pickett starting this week. Batch suggested Canada wanted the move. No way does Tomlin allow Canada to overrule him on a roster decision, especially at QB.

Is it possible AR2 knows this team sucks and just wants to make sure the fans stay invested to get those ticket sales if Pickett becomes the starter.

Art it wouldn’t surprise me. He knows even less about football than Tomlin. I really feel we have 3 years of being a **** team. I honestly feel we will ruin KP and just rebuild with a new coach and president in 2025. Hopefully I’m wrong but when you have JuJu talking how much better of a coach Reid is vs Tomlin that speaks volumes.

I have never seen a wide receiver as tall and as big and fast as Claypool squander those physical attributes as well as he does.
Claypool 'jumping' for contested balls is starting to look like Shaq shooting foul shots.
It is pathetic the way Claypool approaches a combative catch or any catch. He was on the sideline with his head down after the play. He needs to look in the mirror and question his desire to play this game. Heck. Didn't he say he thought of himself as a top-three WR in the entire league before the season started? I don't know if he is top three on our own team at the moment.

He isn't. He doesn't play combat catches well at all. We have seen it for a while now. Perhaps he should be demoted.

It's almost as if....Mikey Shades caved.

Tomlin had no plans to play him this week. Game was not out of hand, but clearly we weren't moving the ball and the O sucked. Then the fans chanted Kenny Kenny again. As they have most games. And it's as if Tomlin listened to them. I can't think of another reason, because giving the kid no reps at all is just idiotic.

That said, for having NO reps in practice...Kenny impressed. Kid played well. None of the INTs were truly on him. Two tipped passes picked (granted one was high, but certainly catchable) and a hail mary. Kid played like a smaller Josh Allen. Took hits, got up smiling. He won me over today.
Obviously, Shades doesn’t like to be called out about his lying

The media asked him last time if he heard the chants

He lied and said no I was busy, paraphrasing there

The chants were obvious again, as they were last time

The question was going to come again

He blinked…we all know the penalty for blinking…why does he still have eyelids after he obviously urinated down his own leg post blinking?

Art it wouldn’t surprise me. He knows even less about football than Tomlin. I really feel we have 3 years of being a **** team. I honestly feel we will ruin KP and just rebuild with a new coach and president in 2025. Hopefully I’m wrong but when you have JuJu talking how much better of a coach Reid is vs Tomlin that speaks volumes.
It wasn’t just JuJu
Even the **** slinging monkey stated he was a better option at OC and that obviously Reid a better coach than Tomlin

Attitudes need to change including Pittsburgh Sports writers. One of the columns mentioned losing to the "lousy Jets"

Well the "lousy Jets" are 2-2 yet the Stillers are 1-3 and the one win barely came from a team with how many turnovers????

SO are we "lousier (if that's even a word)? Maybe so. Painful to say and hear but this attitude that we are better or more talented etc. etc. sure isn't being shown on the field or from the sideline coaching staff.

Things could turn around but with the daunting schedule upon us now, I'm afraid this is the beginning of a tough sled ride.

This all might be necessary. Maybe the only way a change happens with the coaching is if it gets really bad. Even if you don't chop off he head, maybe they will force Tomlin to hire better coordinators. I think of Noll after the 1988 season. Also, they may have to stink for a year or two to get a few more elite players. I know the draft is a crapshoot, but there is a reason the Bengals made the Super Bowl last year. Even they couldn't keep screwing it up.

My problem with playing Pickett has nothing to do with Pickett and everything to do with Tomlin. If DJ doesn’t let Mitch down twice in the first half, it’s a different game I don’t think Tomlin makes the change at halftime. Tomlin essentially benched Mitch because of DJ. This is Tomlin admitting he doesn’t have a plan or an understanding of what he’s doing.

Tomlin specifically said he was not playing Pickett then gave him 0 reps in an extra long prep period from the last thursday game. Makes you wonder if it was Rooney who put Pickett in the game.
He never intended to play him, when the O played worse than he anticipated he put the rookie in.

The way the O has been this year Kenny should have been given more reps. Especially leading up to the Jets game.

I have said this for a long long time. The man doesn't make good adjustments leading up to games with player decisions and in game adjustments.

For me this is nothing new. It is the same ol substandard being the standard.

He never intended to play him, when the O played worse than he anticipated he put the rookie in.

The way the O has been this year Kenny should have been given more reps. Especially leading up to the Jets game.

I have said this for a long long time. The man doesn't make good adjustments leading up to games with player decisions and in game adjustments.

For me this is nothing new. It is the same ol substandard being the standard.
You've been saying it for a long, long time. I've been saying it for somewhat longer. Even the vast majority of Steeler fans here (some of them formerly being staunch Tomlin supporters) have finally accepted what we've known for years, as the playoff failures have continued.

The question is: At what point will the man be held accountable for his deficiencies? Will he ever? Unfortunately, the answer is probably not. The football world loves this guy, and his sunglasses on a cloudy day.

You've been saying it for a long, long time. I've been saying it for somewhat longer. Even the vast majority of Steeler fans here (some of them formerly being staunch Tomlin supporters) have finally accepted what we've known for years, as the playoff failures have continued.

The question is: At what point will the man be held accountable for his deficiencies? Will he ever? Unfortunately, the answer is probably not. The football world loves this guy, and his sunglasses on a cloudy day.
You answered you own question. And unfortunately it is probably accurate.

I want to say if Kenny would have had the whole 10 days to prep and started, yesterday would have been a better outcome.

Even now you wonder if Kenny will get the majority of reps this week. He should.

If reports come out that Pickett isn’t getting a majority of the reps I’ll just choose to spend next Sunday fishing or something more productive as it will be obvious our HC is either a moron/clueless/doesn’t give AF…whatever ya wanna call it, and therefore neither should I.

I’ll still record it and watch, cuz my streak of not missing a game is much longer than Shades’. If he actually starts T biscuit again tho, my streak comes to an end as does my watching of this product until serious changes occur (adios Canada, adios Tomlin whatever it takes).

It’s insane to keep supporting an inferior product when you know better. What the hell are you doing to my team as you piss down your leg Shades???

Here's the bottom line. We had 10 days off from getting throttled on national TV against a division rival. Any coach worth their salt is at least contemplating a QB change a little bit. Lets say that little bit is 20%. Should you not give the guy you might be considering replacing Mitch with at least 20% of the snaps. Especially considering we had ample time to prepare and giving KP some reps in reality would not take a lot away from Mitch. Instead Tomlin gave Pickett no reps (still mind blown) and then knee-jerked reaction put him in. The good news is KP moved the offense better than we have really seen all season. The bad news is throwing 4 picks is going to hurt his confidence at least a little. And right now we need him to be confident. The team needs a leader and they lost faith in Mitch. So they need to have faith in our first round pick. Now KP likely starts vs the toughest stretch of football our team has with the Bills, Bucs, Phins, and Eagles. It would have been nice to maybe give KP all the reps leading up to the Jets game and perhaps pulling off a win so going into this stretch we have some confidence. Instead Tomlin likely throws KP to the wolves and perhaps this makes or breaks the rookie.

Here's the other problem I have. All preseason and camp Trubisky was the third best QB on the team. From all reports on camp to all the preseason games he was not the best option at QB. Now here is where I think Art the piece of deuce comes in. He is a CPA and doesn't like spending money. Much like Mike Brown he is penny wise. He wants to play guys who are making the money regardless of skill. He wanted the highest paid QB starting. He wants Bush starting. I said from the beginning if you don't start Rudolph then you sure as hell better start KP. Trubisky wasn't even a good bridge.

Here's the bottom line. We had 10 days off from getting throttled on national TV against a division rival. Any coach worth their salt is at least contemplating a QB change a little bit. Lets say that little bit is 20%. Should you not give the guy you might be considering replacing Mitch with at least 20% of the snaps. Especially considering we had ample time to prepare and giving KP some reps in reality would not take a lot away from Mitch. Instead Tomlin gave Pickett no reps (still mind blown) and then knee-jerked reaction put him in. The good news is KP moved the offense better than we have really seen all season. The bad news is throwing 4 picks is going to hurt his confidence at least a little. And right now we need him to be confident. The team needs a leader and they lost faith in Mitch. So they need to have faith in our first round pick. Now KP likely starts vs the toughest stretch of football our team has with the Bills, Bucs, Phins, and Eagles. It would have been nice to maybe give KP all the reps leading up to the Jets game and perhaps pulling off a win so going into this stretch we have some confidence. Instead Tomlin likely throws KP to the wolves and perhaps this makes or breaks the rookie.
He threw three one was a hail Mary. Two had an opportunity to be caught. I don't think his confidence will be shaken regardless. He already has seen that he can put points on the board in a short time. He has things to clean up and I am sure he will work on that as he goes through typical rookie struggles.I am not seeing any confidence issues, not even a little bit.

It's almost as if....Mikey Shades caved.

Tomlin had no plans to play him this week. Game was not out of hand, but clearly we weren't moving the ball and the O sucked. Then the fans chanted Kenny Kenny again. As they have most games. And it's as if Tomlin listened to them. I can't think of another reason, because giving the kid no reps at all is just idiotic.

That said, for having NO reps in practice...Kenny impressed. Kid played well. None of the INTs were truly on him. Two tipped passes picked (granted one was high, but certainly catchable) and a hail mary. Kid played like a smaller Josh Allen. Took hits, got up smiling. He won me over today.
pass to Muth was 100% on Pickett. Should have thrown it away. The other 2 I am not concerned with. No time to fiddle with Trubisky any longer. Its Pickett's time.

pass to Muth was 100% on Pickett. Should have thrown it away. The other 2 I am not concerned with. No time to fiddle with Trubisky any longer. Its Pickett's time.
I'm not even sure about the one to Muuth. I didn't watch a replay real close but it looked like Muuth got both hands on the ball. It would have been a tough catch but he still should have come down with it if he did get both hands on it.

I'm not even sure about the one to Muuth. I didn't watch a replay real close but it looked like Muuth got both hands on the ball. It would have been a tough catch but he still should have come down with it if he did get both hands on it.
Muth made a great attempt to try and catch a poorly thrown ball, which resulted in the pick. KP should have thrown that away.

Muth made a great attempt to try and catch a poorly thrown ball, which resulted in the pick. KP should have thrown that away.
I thought at the time that he was trying to throw it away, but did a poor job of it. At the podium after the game he said that he was trying to throw it away.