• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Way to NOT put your rookie QB in a position to succeed

pass to Muth was 100% on Pickett. Should have thrown it away. The other 2 I am not concerned with. No time to fiddle with Trubisky any longer. Its Pickett's time.
Except it hit Muth right in both hands. Was it an easy catch? Nope. One that even he would say he should have caught though.

It's funny how last year when Claypool went up to get a ball with a guy draped all over him and dropped it, it was his fault. Muuth jumped (something WR's and TE's are expected to do) and had the ball hit both hands pretty clean and it bounced off his hands and to the waiting defender for an "interception", yet everyone is jumping all over our rookie QB. Interesting. Don't worry, though. Tomlin is just dumb enough to switch back to Trubisky this week.

It's funny how last year when Claypool went up to get a ball with a guy draped all over him and dropped it, it was his fault. Muuth jumped (something WR's and TE's are expected to do) and had the ball hit both hands pretty clean and it bounced off his hands and to the waiting defender for an "interception", yet everyone is jumping all over our rookie QB. Interesting. Don't worry, though. Tomlin is just dumb enough to switch back to Trubisky this week.

I find those people funny because either they are FF fans who only look at stats or don't fully understand that WR/TEs have a "catch radious" and what that is and quite possibly both.

That was Muuth's catch to miss, not pickett's to make.

Salute the nation

Our coaching is bad but its not like they are coaching quality players.
I see things a little different. We lost because Trent Richardson 2.0 couldn't get a few first downs to protect a lead and run the clock out.
You need a run game to protect a lead and a young QB.
Najee D.J and Claypool, THE KILLER BUMS

He had to leap to make it hit both hands.
And some WRs have to run for the ball to hit their hands also. Imagine that.

pass to Muth was 100% on Pickett. Should have thrown it away. The other 2 I am not concerned with. No time to fiddle with Trubisky any longer. Its Pickett's time.

Some believe he was trying to throw it away.

Regardless, yes...It's Picket to Pickens time

Freiermuth high pointed the ball. Claypool didn’t

People are acting like the ball hit Freiermuth right in the hands while he was wide open and standing still. He had to jump up, and he just got his fingers on it when a DB hit into him and jarred it loose. Calling that a drop is crazy. It was a horrible decision by Pickett. He made a long throw off his back foot that hung up in the air. You get away with that in college but NFL DBs will always close that gap as they did here.

Pickett showed me something last Sunday. An innate leadership. He has the ability to left the team. Guys respond to him, and unlike Trubisky he plays to win. Let's find out if he can play in the NFL.

Tomlin specifically said he was not playing Pickett then gave him 0 reps in an extra long prep period from the last thursday game. Makes you wonder if it was Rooney who put Pickett in the game.

Tomlin is a fool. I'd like to see what he does during games. Mike him up, it obviously has little or nothing to do with calling plays or the offense. Or sideline coaching! Not a word was said to Pickett, the other coaches handled that. He hires bozos and delegates. All I see is a man in dark shades chewing gum. Way to communicate! Why no show up that way to the press conference? That's all he's good at. FIRE HIM when the season ends. Sean Peyton is out there.

People are acting like the ball hit Freiermuth right in the hands while he was wide open and standing still. He had to jump up, and he just got his fingers on it when a DB hit into him and jarred it loose. Calling that a drop is crazy. It was a horrible decision by Pickett. He made a long throw off his back foot that hung up in the air. You get away with that in college but NFL DBs will always close that gap as they did here.
There will be no chastising of Kenny Pickett. He is the savior and as such, can make no mistakes. That was all on Freiermuth, you Mitch Trubisky loving dolt.

Good for Muuth. Then he should have caught it since he got both hands on it.
Much tougher catch. If the ball is 3 inches lower it’s probably a catch. Put it this way. If you replace Claypool with Freiermuth on that first long ball odds are better that Freiermuth comes down with it. Claypool just doesn’t adjust to the ball in the air well. It’s a very underrated skill pass catchers need. Right now George Pickens looks like the best on the team. Claypool looks like the worst.

Much tougher catch. If the ball is 3 inches lower it’s probably a catch. Put it this way. If you replace Claypool with Freiermuth on that first long ball odds are better that Freiermuth comes down with it. Claypool just doesn’t adjust to the ball in the air well. It’s a very underrated skill pass catchers need. Right now George Pickens looks like the best on the team. Claypool looks like the worst.
I know it's a tougher catch but my point is, no matter how tough the catch last year and no matter how many guys were draped all over Claypool, it was always his fault. This catch was difficult but one Muuth should make whether Pickett intended to throw it away or not. I don't care who you are. If you are a pro WR/TE and you get both hands on the ball, you should catch it almost every time. That is what you are paid to do. Pickett throws a lot of high and back shoulder throws on purpose and he should. We have some big targets and they need to make the catches. Pickens has been for the most part even with one hand in a full spread.

There will be no chastising of Kenny Pickett. He is the savior and as such, can make no mistakes. That was all on Freiermuth, you Mitch Trubisky loving dolt.

Funny how quickly that changed in the game thread. For weeks on here I’ve been defending Trubisky, not to say he‘s playing great, but to point out that many of this issues are not on the QB. Most is on the poor design of the plays and on the WRs who are not open and for the most part, not making plays. None of that mattered with Mitch.

But now with Kenny in there, now all of a sudden we have to look at the protection, and the play design, and the receivers, and if Kenny gets a ball with 5 yards of any Steeler then any negative result is clearly on the other guy, not Pickett.

Just look at the defense of the 2 INTs. Both clearly on Pickett but no, Claypool should have made the catch and so should Freiermuth.

Funny how quickly that changed in the game thread. For weeks on here I’ve been defending Trubisky, not to say he‘s playing great, but to point out that many of this issues are not on the QB. Most is on the poor design of the plays and on the WRs who are not open and for the most part, not making plays. None of that mattered with Mitch.

But now with Kenny in there, now all of a sudden we have to look at the protection, and the play design, and the receivers, and if Kenny gets a ball with 5 yards of any Steeler then any negative result is clearly on the other guy, not Pickett.

Just look at the defense of the 2 INTs. Both clearly on Pickett but no, Claypool should have made the catch and so should Freiermuth.
Everything you say is true. If Trubisky makes those two passes he is crucified. No if's, and's or buts. People even calling the pass to Freiermuth a "drop." It's ridiculous.

I get the excitement about Pickett. I'm excited and hopeful that the Steelers don't go through 58 QB's until they find the next franchise guy. I'm hoping he's it.

The guy made two bad throws. I don't know why it's hard for some to admit. He's a rookie, and if the hype behind this guy pans out, he'll make far less of those as the season progresses.

Pickett showed me something last Sunday. An innate leadership. He has the ability to left the team. Guys respond to him, and unlike Trubisky he plays to win. Let's find out if he can play in the NFL.
Hopefully he can right the team too.

If it hits you in the hands you should catch the damn ball. Maybe a poor choice to throw it in the situation. But both balls were clearly catchable. And I don’t remember anyone not blaming DJ for his drops this year , not Mitch a single time. So get out of here with that BS. If you can’t see that the offense was instantly better with KP your blind. Time to move on.

The Claypool INT was "clearly" on Pickett? So, in your mind, there was absolutely nothing that Cesspool could have done differently on that play? Like maybe using his huge frame to wall off the much shorter defender, or timing his jump better, or getting his hands up higher than the level of his own ******* facemask?

Get the **** out of here. You're smarter than that.

The Claypool INT was "clearly" on Pickett? So, in your mind, there was absolutely nothing that Cesspool could have done differently on that play? Like maybe using his huge frame to wall off the much shorter defender, or timing his jump better, or getting his hands up higher than the level of his own ******* facemask?

Get the **** out of here. You're smarter than that.

of course Claypool could have made a play but that doesn’t negate that there were 2 safeties back deep and it was under thrown. That INT is still on Pickett. The fact that Claypool is soft is a separate issue. You want to blame both, fine, but don’t excuse Pickett as many are doing.

Agreed...and it looked worse in person.

The claypool play was just a timing issue. It’s stupid to have his first pass after coming in cold be a glory shot to a guy he hasn’t tossed a pass to even in practice in what? Weeks? Im not worried about that…

The second pick, i get what he was doing… trying to give the receiver a chance where if he doesn’t get it it goes out of bounds while under pressure, but you just need to throw the ball away there… for the record Ben 9 times out of 10 tries that throw too, and probably 99 times out of 100 a tipped ball there goes out of bounds, but it still doesn’t make it right … rookie mistake…

Rookies make mistakes… its no big deal… like i said, Peyton Manning was as NFL ready as a rookie was ever going to be and had infinitely more prep before his first starts and still threw 8 picks in his first 3 games to only one td… he was a pick machine until he learned what he could and couldn’t do in the NFL…

The Claypool int...every QB every week makes those throws. The receiver has to come down with it. The great QBs...as great as they are throwing the ball they all had wrs who bailed them out. Geez, Bradshaw with Swann and Stallworth. He doesn't have those two guys he ain't in the Hall and the Steelers don't have 4 Super Bowls in the era. Claypool shoulda had that one.

The throw to Muth was dumb.

Like so much, the truth is pretty much in the middle.